These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey] Ship Resistance Bonuses

First post First post
Author
Sven Viko VIkolander
In space we are briefly free
#141 - 2013-04-12 19:28:17 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:

This affects 44 ships total.

Shield:
Ibis, Taipan, Merlin, Worm, Harpy, Cambion, Moa, Gila, Eagle, Onyx, Broadsword, Drake, Ferox, Nighthawk, Vulture, Tengu, Loki, Skiff, Mackinaw, Hulk, Rokh, Scorpion Navy Issue, Rattlesnake, Chimera, Wyvern.

[b]Armor:

Impairor, Punisher, Vengeance, Malice, Malediction, Maller, Sacrilege, Mimir, Vangel, Devoter, Phobos, Prophecy, Absolution, Damnation, Loki, Legion, Proteus, Abaddon, Archon, Aeon.

I think this is a step in a good direction, but I don't think applying this change so indiscriminately is the right way to go about it. Many of those ships are underpowered, and some are in a very good place. Only a few need this sort of nerf...so why not just apply it to those few ships on these lists that the change is really needed for?
Bagehi
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#142 - 2013-04-12 19:36:28 UTC
Sven Viko VIkolander wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:

Shield:
Ibis, Taipan, Merlin, Worm, Harpy, Cambion, Moa, Gila, Eagle, Onyx, Broadsword, Drake, Ferox, Nighthawk, Vulture, Tengu, Loki, Skiff, Mackinaw, Hulk, Rokh, Scorpion Navy Issue, Rattlesnake, Chimera, Wyvern.

[b]Armor:

Impairor, Punisher, Vengeance, Malice, Malediction, Maller, Sacrilege, Mimir, Vangel, Devoter, Phobos, Prophecy, Absolution, Damnation, Loki, Legion, Proteus, Abaddon, Archon, Aeon.

I think this is a step in a good direction, but I don't think applying this change so indiscriminately is the right way to go about it. Many of those ships are underpowered, and some are in a very good place. Only a few need this sort of nerf...so why not just apply it to those few ships on these lists that the change is really needed for?

Yes, some of those ships are already under-powered, specifically s/m railgun platforms and some of the overweight armor ships that struggle to be in range. But, those problems have little to do with their tanks. A year ago, I would have been worried, but Fozzie has come through enough times now to trust that ships will be fixed.
Bakuhz
NED-Clan
Goonswarm Federation
#143 - 2013-04-12 19:36:47 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
I'm going to throw this here since I have a feeling a lot of questions coming up will be along this line:

• Why nerf things when you could buff things instead?
  • This is a question that comes up often in any thread where we are discussing decreasing the power of an item or ship. I can completely understand where it's coming from. Buffing things makes people happy in much larger numbers, it simply feels good to see the effectiveness of your equipment increase. Many other games rely on constantly improving gear to drive engagement in their content and that method of development can work very well for those games.

I'm going to start by quoting my answer to this question from the Heavy Missile thread before Retribution, because what I said there still applies.
    CCP Fozzie wrote:
    When we are balancing in a game like Eve we always need to be conscious of the danger presented by power creep. In some games where the progression is tied to ever advancing gear stats power creep isn't a big issue as it is built into the whole premise of the game. In a sandbox like Eve player advancement is tied to individual freeform goals and we need to make sure that the tools available are both interesting and balanced. Any time we buff something in Eve, we are nerfing every other item in the game slightly by extension. In a case like this we believe that the best course of action is to adjust the Heavy Missiles downwards to achieve balance.

I would be lying if I said that we never allow power creep in EVE. It's quite simply much much easier to balance upwards and considering how powerful of a tool it is for creating short term customer satisfaction, some power creep is very hard to avoid. However we do need to be very mindful of how much we let ourselves indulge. There are cases where for the long term health of the game ecosystem we simply have to reduce the power of certain items and ships. We believe this is one of those times. I can promise you that we're committed to eating our vegetables and making adjustments either up or down based on our best estimation of what the game needs. We won't decrease the power of items and ships unless we deem it necessary but we also won't forget that our job is to manage the health of the game over the long term.

i have seen you make great changes fozzie

some were in the beginning creeping me out but in the end it all went good
    im still ok with all the changes
    BS changes and the laser changes are a nice thign to start aswell

but kicking alot of ships in the nuts that cost a alot to train buy flie etc,
    those are the onces being kicked in the nuts unprovoked

but i will see what happens

https://zkillboard.com/character/584042527/

Naomi Knight
    Ministry of War
    Amarr Empire
    #144 - 2013-04-12 19:36:56 UTC
    Beaver Retriever wrote:
    Buhhdust Princess wrote:
    So now we've:
    1) Removed the 8th low slot of every Amarr Battleship
    and
    2) Removed 1% of the extra resist that would of probably kept them balanced.

Personally, I don't see a need to remove that 1%, I was killing Amarr perfectly fine.

Also, doing it to capitals is silly, it's a lot of time/effort to build them, and a lot of ISK to buy them. Removing a percentage of their bonuses just seems a bit dodgy.

It's not even 1%.. it's 5%. which is a massive, massive chunk of the advantage the Aeon and Archon have.

Might have to rethink my capital alt plans. Luckily, at least you won't need racial BS V to steer away from ****** capital training after the summer.

actually it is more than 5%
    5% vs 4%
    at lvl5
    1/0.75 vs 1/0.8
    1.3333 vs 1.25 better tank than no resist bonus ----> 1.25/1.3333 =0.937 mean you will loose 6,3% from your ehp and local and remote rep efficiency
    Askulf Joringer
    Sebiestor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #145 - 2013-04-12 19:40:49 UTC
    Bakuhz wrote:

The 5% resistance bonus is undoubtedly overpowred and have been since forever. A modest and reasonable nerf from 5% to 4% to this bonus is an EXTREMELY good change for overall balance. Fozzie has already done a fantastic job describing exactly why this change is good and to be quite honest, every point he made is 100% spot on.

A nerf from 25% to 20% resistance is hardly a "kick in the nuts" especially when these ships are already sporting arguably the most powerful bonus in the game.

Stop being Biased and look at the health of eve as a hole.
    Van Mathias
    Dead Space Continuum
    #146 - 2013-04-12 19:41:20 UTC
    Like I said before, if resists in general are the problem, then nerf the resists for all ships by nerfing the resist mods. Don't single out hulls that have an entirely resonable bonus.
    Marcus Walkuris
    Aww yeahhh
    #147 - 2013-04-12 19:43:51 UTC
    The trait of resist-bonus hulls usually is a glaring deficiency in categories of "dps" Agility/speed or Amarr cap deficiency.
    Therefor I think the potential for catastrophe with an across the board change is devastating.
    I myself skilled for a passive drake setup even after I found the boat to be boring because of its versatility giving a foothold in many venues in EvE.
    Even though I wish I would've just gone for a Hurricane which was my intended direct cross train from the drake and my fun boat, a patch changed a lot of things nerfing both ships it doesn't bother me if it wasn't for the fact I am so low SP.

Many changes like this are made with zero consideration for low SP characters, who have their skill plan rewards turned upside down.

As former posters have stated if you are going to mess with a drake or a prophecy, you are not messing with boats favored for their aggressive hit and run PvP style.
    These are the boats that are left alone in low sec, floating through an ocean of darkness like majestic sea turtles no one wants to bite into, often referred to as "bait" because they have lots of hp but terribad damage projection or tackling potential.
    It might not make its way into a spreadsheet/database very well, but how do you quantify a boats "dps" vs survivability ratio when it is largely due to someone deciding to bash their head into a brick wall instead of taking a breath and walking away without risk.
    Do you look at success numbers in the light of ships used as well?

As far as I can tell I have only seen a mayor argument concerning remote repair imbalance, let shield resistances reduce that by an equal amount as mentioned before.
    Also nerfing speed tanking really created a strange and giant tidal wave to the trinity of active tanking, capless weapon systems and damage evasion that needs a second looking into.
    Move some more stats around then ship bonuses alone id say give it a second look.
    Blob dynamics is a beast on its own that does not warrant across the board tinkering, thank you very much.
    BigCynoBoom
    University of Caille
    Gallente Federation
    #148 - 2013-04-12 19:44:50 UTC
    So at the same time that we lose 25% warfare link t3s to a maximum of for 15% from a command ship, that we also lose the 5% resist bonuses for 4%. Are ships going to be able to be saved in fleet combat by logistics with the combined nerfs to their abilities ?
    Gizznitt Malikite
    Agony Unleashed
    Agony Empire
    #149 - 2013-04-12 19:45:12 UTC
    Van Mathias wrote:
    What? x * .75 * .70 * .70 < x * .75 * .75 * .75 for all values of x that are greater than 0. Also, the discrepancy grows with the value of x.

Honestly, its basic math.

You're missing a big point here:

Resists == Damage reduction... (ALWAYS a good thing... )
    Buffer's == Raw increase in base HP.
    Repair's == Raw gain in base HP...

Imagine comparing two similar ships... one with a 5% Resist bonus, the other with an extra slot dedicated to tanking. I'll use shield tanks with IF's.

To keep it simple, imagine the base resist of the ship is zero... (easy to compare EM resists using Drake vs Hurricane):

Drake with 1 IF vs a Cane with 2 IF.... 47.5 Drake, 48.3 Cane.
    Drake with 2 IF vs a Cane with 3 IF.... 61.2 Drake, 57.1 Cane.

The "extra" IF on the cane receives a stacking penalty that reduces it's effectiveness allowing the Drake's not-stacking penalty to become worth more. Stacking Penalties mean the first mod is 100% effective, the second mod is 87% effective, 57% for the 3rd, and 28% for the fourth.

Using simple math, 25% > 30% * SP when SP < 83.3%. This is why the drake has better resists with 2x IF than a cane with 3x IF. If you reduce the T2 bonus from 30 to 25.... then the drake resists will ALWAYS be better than the hurricanes.

Your suggested change does reduce the general effectiveness of RR by resulting in a lower overall Resists for all ships, but makes a resist bonus even more potent in comparison to ships without such a bonus.
    Ganthrithor
    GoonWaffe
    Goonswarm Federation
    #150 - 2013-04-12 19:48:47 UTC
    Personally I don't have a problem with resist-bonused ships, but then again I don't do much flying in fleets, so I don't have to deal with remote-repping balls.

I guess I'm in favor of this change if you guys think it will make RR setups less idiot-proof. I'm definitely in favor of the approach you're taking here (make a small adjustment, monitor its effects) over the balance approaches that have been taken in the past (knee-jerk hellnerf something, forget about it for a few years).
    Bakuhz
    NED-Clan
    Goonswarm Federation
    #151 - 2013-04-12 19:50:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Bakuhz
    Askulf Joringer wrote:
    Bakuhz wrote:

The 5% resistance bonus is undoubtedly overpowred and have been since forever. A modest and reasonable nerf from 5% to 4% to this bonus is an EXTREMELY good change for overall balance. Fozzie has already done a fantastic job describing exactly why this change is good and to be quite honest, every point he made is 100% spot on.

A nerf from 25% to 20% resistance is hardly a "kick in the nuts" especially when these ships are already sporting arguably the most powerful bonus in the game.

Stop being Biased and look at the health of eve as a hole.

remember neuting the hardners is also killing resist recently to the bare hull resists
    thsi might be a bit to much i advice to look at each ship itself and not nerf the full rack of ships out there that have bonus to resists

and then see what happens a bit more math and less trial and error perhaps
    they get paid for it really good i expect a bit more care when its hitting a large group at once

rest im just going to sit this one out and see what happens

https://zkillboard.com/character/584042527/

Gizznitt Malikite
    Agony Unleashed
    Agony Empire
    #152 - 2013-04-12 19:50:21 UTC
    BigCynoBoom wrote:
    So at the same time that we lose 25% warfare link t3s to a maximum of for 15% from a command ship, that we also lose the 5% resist bonuses for 4%. Are ships going to be able to be saved in fleet combat by logistics with the combined nerfs to their abilities ?

I hope not.... I find it pretty sad when a 200 man fleet engages a 100 man fleet, whipes them out, and takes no losses!!!!

Ganthrithor
    GoonWaffe
    Goonswarm Federation
    #153 - 2013-04-12 19:52:40 UTC
    Gizznitt Malikite: telling baddies how EVE really is. <3

CCP really should open a design position for you, dude.
    Apoctasy
    GentIeman Bastards
    Something Really Pretentious
    #154 - 2013-04-12 19:55:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Apoctasy
    While on paper these changes seem to be sensible, they hurt active tanking ships far more than buffer tanked ships, ESPECIALLY ACTIVE ARMOR TANKS

Active armor tanks are already weaker compared to shield tanks, even with the introduction of ancillary armor repairers. This will further nerf a tanking style that is already tough to pull off, requiring much in the way of resist bonuses and slots devoted to cap management to do something even close to what a dual ancillary shield tank can do.

As others have noted, MANY of the affected ships are perfectly fine right now and you don't hear screams of OP about them. This should only apply to totally OP ships, such as slowcats or related ones everyone is always yelling about. Most of the other boats are very reasonable already.
    Van Mathias
    Dead Space Continuum
    #155 - 2013-04-12 19:57:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Van Mathias
    But here is the thing, ships with rep bonuses don't rely on active buffers/resists to sustain their tanks. Not to mention that a reduction in resists affects them a lot less right out, since resists increases are based on the remaining potential percentage of nonresistance. A ship that only has 40% resists will only lose out 2% on a 5% reduction of resists, while a ship that has 80% resists loses 4% resistance bonus or more, on top of the fact that resist ships don't tend to have as much base HP as rep ships.

To recap 40% - 2% = 38%, the increase in applied damage being about 1% - 2% more
    and 80%- 4% - 76%, the increase in applied damage in this case being 16% - 20% more
    Robot Robot
    Plate of Beans Incorporated
    #156 - 2013-04-12 20:00:38 UTC
    I have to agree with other voices here that this seems like an ill-considered way to go about this. In order to reduce the strength of a few overpowered ships, you are reducing the strength of a whole host of balanced (or even underpowered) ships as well.

I absolutely understand the desire to maintain consistency across bonuses of a single type, so I get why you wouldn't want to, say, drop the bonus to 4% on the OP ships while leaving it at 5% on the others. I also understand why you want to address this problem with a power reduction rather than a power increase.

What I don't understand is why you wouldn't just reduce the effectiveness of the offending ships in other NON-BONUS related ways, like say a reduction in base hit points or targeting range, or whatever seems appropriate on a case by case basis.

IT'S OKAY FOR SOME BONUSES TO BE STRONGER THAN OTHERS.

In fact, I'd say it's even desirable. When you have a ship like the Maller with very strong bonuses and a ship like the Augoror with weak ones, naturally you would need to make the base stats of the Augoror better to compensate. This has the beneficial effect of making it so that the player with Amarr Cruiser II might prefer the Augoror even in a solo context whereas, for the player with Amarr Cruiser V, the choice would become harder (this is, of course, imagining a perfect world where the Augoror wasn't a joke even at all Vs).
    Ereilian
    Doomheim
    #157 - 2013-04-12 20:01:20 UTC
    Bagehi wrote:
    Sven Viko VIkolander wrote:
    CCP Fozzie wrote:

Shield:

[b]Armor:

Yes, some of those ships are already under-powered, specifically s/m railgun platforms and some of the overweight armor ships that struggle to be in range. But, those problems have little to do with their tanks. A year ago, I would have been worried, but Fozzie has come through enough times now to trust that ships will be fixed.

Trouble is that they are specifically hitting non competitive races (Caldari) and ships that are direct competition for Alpha doctrine .. while at the same time blaming Alpha doctrine for the changes.

While Foz has a decent record of being on the level, there is serious discontent brewing that these changes are specifically PVP and take no account of PVE usage of the ships involved. Add to that the perceived bias towards Alpha doctrine ships and you can see why it is causing such discontent.

We have been promised for years that Caldari would be made PVP competitive, and just when we have series of ships that are used in large scale PVP ... bam Nerfhammer time. Tengu, Rokh, Drake .... nerfed. But hey its okay guys, we are not touching Alpha doctrine!!!! Go Minmatar!!!

You see the dichotomy in this entire process?
    Anaphylacti
    Caldari Provisions
    Caldari State
    #158 - 2013-04-12 20:05:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Anaphylacti

4% SHIELD RESIST != 4% ARMOR RESIST

This change is imbalanced.

You should reconsider a blanket 1% reduction in resist as I believe it is a bigger nerf to shield compared to armor

100k ehp maller and 200k ehp prophs 1,000,000 ehp prots and their corresponding resist are definitely something that need to be looked at.

However, shield tank ships can't get anywhere near those numbers.

Moa's can get 60~70ehp max. Drakes, which have already been pretty much nerfed to the ground maybe get 120~130ehp. Tengus 200~300ehp.

All of this on top of the fact that shield have an enormous sig radius compared to their armor counter parts making applied damage greater. Also, the fact that there isn't any pure passive resist available for shield and that armor have two extremely effective non-stacking penalized mods.

Interestingly, things are reversed when it comes to frigates. However, the sig discrepancy remains.

I personally think the nerf should be applied to only tech 1 hulls at the moment. It would give people more of a reason to fly the already abandoned t2 hulls.

If anything we need some sort of compensation be it increased mobility, raw hp, etc...
    Askulf Joringer
    Sebiestor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #159 - 2013-04-12 20:05:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Askulf Joringer
    Bakuhz wrote:

remember neuting the hardners is also killing resist recently to the bare hull resists
    thsi might be a bit to much i advice to look at each ship itself and not nerf the full rack of ships out there that have bonus to resists

and then see what happens a bit more math and less trial and error perhaps
    they get paid for it really good i expect a bit more care when its hitting a large group at once

rest im just going to sit this one out and see what happens

Honesty If I were fozzie and the current balance team I would have gone after this resistance bonus more harshly than they did. The bonus has an effect on all 3 types of tanking, passive, RR, and active! The fact that you get a 25% bonus to each (20% resistance = about 25% as shown in fozzie's math) is extremely, extremely powerful.

As for you point about "the full rack of ships" The vast and I say vast majority of bonuses in this game are more or less statically carried over from ship to ship with few exceptions. I think there are far better ways to balance the overall lineup of ships with resistance bonus other than giving some a 4% per level and others a 5% per level. While a counter to this argument may be the increasing trend for 10% dmg bonuses per level to show up on ships within the same class as ships with a 5% there is a big difference. The difference is that the effect of this bonus is regulated by the total number of turrets the ship is able to fit. There is no regulation on the total number of tanking modules a ship can have outside the number of slots that show up on the ship. As it turns out the ship with the resistance bonus often have more tanking slots than ships w/o the bonus anyway...

About hardeners loosing there "passive" resistance portion when turned off truly holds no bearing on the discussion as this applies to ships with the bonus and w/o the bonus equally. Also this has nothing to do with what the devs are getting payed, neither you or I know that and even if we did I don't see how their pay rate can be related to the discussion at hand.
    IrJosy
    Club 1621
    #160 - 2013-04-12 20:06:00 UTC
    mynnna wrote:
    CCP Fozzie wrote:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you feel strongly about this change, either liking or disliking it, you should vote for CSM 8 and tell your representatives how you feel. CSM 8 will be taking office before the launch of Odyssey.
    Vote from now until April 18th here.

I'll tell you that it's a good change and you should kiss off, but if you dislike the change, maybe you'll get lucky and Travis Musgrat will get elected. You'll probably find a sympathetic ear from him... he just loves overpowered things. Lol

MY CSM candidate!