These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Started playing Eve for the first time last week

Author
Whitehound
#121 - 2013-03-31 23:35:49 UTC
I read the the OP and wanted to say something constructive, but all I can say is "boobs". Oops

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Maggie Evenstar
Unoriginal Corporation
#122 - 2013-04-01 00:53:16 UTC
To the Op...

I get ya completely and had many of the same frustrations early on in the game. However, I can say that the very things that seem to really be horrid early on are what make the game so engaging later on. However, if you are looking for a space shooter, this is the wrong game. In Eve you are the ship captain that commands her ship (in the "captain's pod"). I think it is actually MUCH better this way. I'd hate it if it were a shooter.

To get deeper into the game early on, you have to find people to play with. I also get how that is VERY difficult to do. Most established corps will not take you and the corps that will, tend to be disorganized and/or inactive.

FIRST SOLUTION FOR YOU IN THIS THREAD!!!...

If you want to play Eve and get around your current boredom...I offer you a real solution. You can join my corp. We operate in wormholes and could have you skilled into a battlecruiser and doing sleeper sites with us in less than a month. You'll get fun fleets and social interaction, decent ISK, and hair-raising PvP experiences.
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#123 - 2013-04-01 05:52:52 UTC
Cel Nobol wrote:
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Cel Nobol wrote:
Also eve has over 500million subs on 1 server. Eve is in no danger of losing subs.



errrm...where are all these people? so like 50-60k original accounts and 499,940,000 alt accounts? because i rarely see over 60k players on at once in peak time. maybe i'm missing something?

I said over 500 million subs. Could be separate people... never know for sure.


Given the amount of people that log on, train skills, log off 50-60k is a realisrtic number at every given time. People log and logoff all the time.


500 million is...well it's a lot. that's like 1/3rd more subscribers to eve online...than the entire population of the united states.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#124 - 2013-04-01 08:33:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaerah Vahrokha
Leia Kommana wrote:

Lol I wish it was challenging, if it was challenging it would be exacltly what I am looking for. However, it is the opposite of challenging. It is the epitomy of boredom. What is challenging about waiting forever for my skills to go up ?


...


Again what do I do?
I can't do any higher missions, due to the reasons that I have given. I can't go exploring for the same reasons I gave. So I guess I am just supposed to wait 4 or 5 days till I can get better stuff to do that?


You are allright when you say the "space flight" simulation sucks very though balls. In fact I find more enjoyable flying a ship in the utter crapola SWTor "space missions" thingie than in EvE and that's to say how much EvE's simplicistic and boring.
One who joins a space game would want dogfights and similar things.
Some guy did post a macro to fly EvE ships with a Joystick but it's really not so hot when it's about fitting a square peg in a round hole.

But you are wrong in the "I can't do anything" and the "boredom" part.

Which MMO have you played where at day 1, level 1 you can do end game content?

You will do level 4 missions EARLIER than the time other MMOs require you to gear up before you can do equivalent content.

In the mean time - like every MMO - you can do lower content, that is missions level 1 to 3 and Sisters Of EvE epic arc. It'll give you both the experience and the money to buy cruiser and what's not and be ready for later content.

Also, exploration can be trained fast, a couple of days tops.

Don't be your own stumbling block or search excuses, EvE is still a progression MMO live most others.
Winter Archipelago
Autumn Industrial Enterprises
#125 - 2013-04-01 13:45:02 UTC
Leia Kommana wrote:
... it will be days perhaps weeks before I do.


Go back to your instant gratification in Call of Duty; it's obvious that even the few months it takes to hit level 80 in WoW would be too much for you.

If you want to give EvE a fair shot, go to Google and do a search for "eve online test 30 day skill plan" or "eve online goon 60 day skill plan" and you will have two great places to start, while being able to do a fair amount in the interim. If a month or two is even too long... yeah, just go back to CoD.
Angelique Duchemin
Team Evil
#126 - 2013-04-01 13:55:03 UTC
Not even the pirates and stealth bombers want local removed. If local was removed, every single carebear would move to high sec.

If you stack risk and reward too high in favour of risk then people will seek their rewards somewhere safer.

The very sun of heaven seemed distorted when viewed through the polarising miasma welling out from this sea-soaked perversion, and twisted menace and suspense lurked leeringly in those crazily elusive angles of carven rock where a second glance shewed concavity after the first shewed convexity.

Rohk Etmann
Glorious Pew
TDF Official
#127 - 2013-04-01 14:01:20 UTC
OP;
Your clearly limiting yourself and not thinking outside the box. Eve lets you do a vast amount of things;
even with low skills. If your looking for combat, join the militia; you don't need to be in a corp to group up
with other pilots. Needless to say, majority of the militia pilots fly small ships; frigs/destroyers, which don't
require high sp.

If you think it's boring, you have a lot to learn...and I can't believe you have 2 accounts; if you wanted to get into trading,
you could have done it with an alt on your same account. You don't need SP for trading...just a basic
understanding of the eve market system.

Msg me in-game if your looking to join militia, I can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

.

Eram Fidard
Doomheim
#128 - 2013-04-01 14:13:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Eram Fidard
The most important thing in your position is to find some friends, and join a corp that does regular pvp.

I remember thinking the same thing as you when I started playing, after I got bored mining scordite in my exequror cruiser. Luckily, a friend trucked me off to a lowsec pirate corp.


Here's some reasons I play EvE (in order of importance to me), you should find your own?

-Hunting (the best prey)

-watching the universe develop over the years like this (4.5 years!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0HEyxbCTRo

-Years of amazing fan content ie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwqIGV53BrQ

-and I almost forgot, this VS this (coloured by systems I've visited)

Poster is not to be held responsible for damages to keyboards and/or noses caused by hot beverages.

Demica Diaz
SE-1
#129 - 2013-04-01 14:34:31 UTC
To OP:

Join big newbie corp, it will greately help you to survive first month or two just because you will interract with people and join their fleet flights. I am not saying to follow path I did but I joined E-Uni, while my skills were poor and I felt limited to do stuff I wanted. So I flied with them in fleets and met people. I was in tournament where our Gallente team won. Time went fast and soon I had skills I wanted to go "my way" and I left.

I am not aware of many newbie corps but from what I know there is Brave Newbies and E-Uni. RvB is cool aswell but I couldnt stay long to try that corp well enough because I was going to travel IRL. Oh and E-Uni had this SOP rules when I was in so might want to check them out before joining, if it is not something you'd like. But maybe they changed it I dont know, its been long time since I was in it.

Just genertal tip to new players. Dont play this game solo from beginning. Later when you got skills then sure if lone wolf is your way, but when you have no skills on your avatar... you get so bored.
Shaffin Solette
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#130 - 2013-04-01 15:33:00 UTC
Love how Sean Connery got 4 likes on his reply because he said "boobs" and I actually replied to the thread with something relevant and don't even get a acknowledgement :(
Demica Diaz
SE-1
#131 - 2013-04-01 15:36:17 UTC
Shaffin Solette wrote:
Love how Sean Connery got 4 likes on his reply because he said "boobs" and I actually replied to the thread with something relevant and don't even get a acknowledgement :(


Here, have one. Cool
Shaffin Solette
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#132 - 2013-04-01 15:46:41 UTC
Demica Diaz wrote:
Shaffin Solette wrote:
Love how Sean Connery got 4 likes on his reply because he said "boobs" and I actually replied to the thread with something relevant and don't even get a acknowledgement :(


Here, have one. Cool


Thanks Cool
Alexander Bjorvisk
Dynamic Solutions Incorporated
#133 - 2013-04-01 19:11:01 UTC
Shaffin Solette wrote:
Love how Sean Connery got 4 likes on his reply because he said "boobs" and I actually replied to the thread with something relevant and don't even get a acknowledgement :(


Have a like then.
Fei Min
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#134 - 2013-04-01 19:33:42 UTC
To OP regarding criticism:

EVE is not sandbox. EVE is litter box. If you can't handle animals flinging poo everywhere, this is not the place for you. Eve is a harsh place and the players are not forgiving of anything that looks like complaining. Find somebody willing to help you in game. You don't have to be high skilled to follow players on missions. Even frigates can join friends in level 4's. Check out Red vs Blue or Eve University Corporations.

Fei
Haulie Berry
#135 - 2013-04-01 19:50:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Haulie Berry
Leia Kommana wrote:


Lol I knew I would get flamed, and go ahead flame me, I am simply giving my perspective...


The trouble is that your perspective is mostly bull ****, by virtue of the fact that you don't know enough about the game yet to possess an informed opinion.

You can almost certainly do a lot more right now than you are aware of.
Lewiatan
The Northerners
Northern Coalition.
#136 - 2013-04-01 19:54:14 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Leia Kommana wrote:
Not true, I did ALL the tutorials, and many more missions besides that.
My point is, what am I supposed to do now?

I can't do higher level missions, because I don't have the skills for cruisers and bigger ships, and it will be days perhaps weeks before I do.


Valid point.

For the vets who can do whatever they want, they'll be sure to come here to defend the status quo. But they're not helping the game grow, they're dinosaurs with the heads in the sand defending their turf. Happens in too many games, and then they wonder why the game becomes more of a bot haven.

CCP could improve the game by offering more for newer players who haven't experienced the skill grind (and it's a different type of grind, but has the same feel...pure timesink to pay to play). Because it takes a good month to have the skills to even do level 3 missions in a battlecruiser. A player will grow out of level 1/2 within a month, even casually playing. Then they hit the wall of trying to skill up to use a battlecruiser with enough skills to do early level 4s. Then face the real skill grind to fly a battleship.

So between cruisers and battleships there needs to be something to do. Asking players to pay to sit in a dock to level maybe fine for vets, but it's not how to attract and keep newer players. They outgrown level 1/2 missions, but level 3/4 are out of reach in a frigate (or they can make the mistake of jumping into a battlecruiser without the weapons/defense skills and now out of ships that insurance doesn't payout to replace).
And you consider PvE to be the vital part of EvE ... why ?
The PvE is crap. Everybody knows that. New people should interact with players
instead of wasting their time trying to make money by shooting NPCs.

The issue isn't the PvE grind, the issue are peopel who tell noobs to mine or run missions.

All you talk about here is the stupid grind ... as if there wasn't actually much more worth playing in this game.

CCP considers making NPCs more like actual player ships for a reason.
They want to move PvE and PvP closer together and that's definitely NOT to promote more PvE play !


The 1st thing you do when you start any game is to grind money to get somewhere. So PvE is vital for newbies and for casual players like myself. Also PvP can't have place if you don't have money to buy ship or replace one unless you are in some null corp refunding them. Mining seemed for me the easiest way to get ISK when I started because I had no skills to do missions.
So while I mined my mission skills were going up. PvE is not crap and new people don't have to interact with other players. Why the hell would I want to spin my ship and chat with other ppl ? I don't think CCP wants to move PvE closer to PvP it's more of an anti-bot fix making players to actually play and focus on the game rather than going afk.
Kazuma Gaterau
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#137 - 2013-04-01 19:54:26 UTC
Leia Kommana wrote:
Kaanchana wrote:
Thank god. please go back to whatever you like. Eve will get bit better.

Seriously though, you played eve for a week and u decided that the whole game is boring? You 'bought' 2 accs because you were impatient? Impatient for what? training for a week?

I can bet all my chars that you don't know anything abt eve and u haven't seen even a bit of it. I can even say you haven't completed the tutorials too. You undocked, looked around, shot some npc's and decided eve is not for you. Excellent decision, dont let the door hit you on your way out.


Not true, I did ALL the tutorials, and many more missions besides that.
My point is, what am I supposed to do now?

I can't do higher level missions, because I don't have the skills for cruisers and bigger ships, and it will be days perhaps weeks before I do.

I can't go off exploring, because of the same issue, I run into rats which I stand no chance against in a destroyer.

I reallize the Devs only want me to sit around until my skills go up, becuase that is how they get me to keep paying for my accounts. However, the fact that I am paying, and really can't do much at all for the moment is pretty rediculous.


I used that period to ask corp members about other aspects of the game and went around trying out new things while my training went up. You can do exploration in a destroyer in high sec like .8 and .9 its not that difficult. You can also find corps that take new players I found one when I only had like 200,000 SP and I'm still with them.

I'm still a noob I've only got 5m SP, but trust me the one skill I realized you need with EVE is patience.

In EVE you will die, you will lose your ship, but each time you must be patient and learn from your mistakes.
Sure maybe you can't fly a massive battleship one week out of the gate, but the thing is it would be like putting a 16 year old who just got their license into a McClaren F1 and ask them to go full throttle. You need experience. Once you get it, keep building it.

If you don't have the patience then EVE will not be the right game for you.
Haulie Berry
#138 - 2013-04-01 20:00:47 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:

From a personal perspective. The majority of my kills had nothing to do with skill, but rather superior numbers and bad luck on the part of the people who got killed.

Maybe I am bad player for never soloing and running from larger fleets, but I prefer to be in situations that I am not on the wrong end of the stick.


Yeah, it's not the game's fault that you're a tedious drone, dude.

You CHOOSE to be a cog in a focus-fire fleet.

You CHOOSE to avoid risky fights.

You explicitly acknowledge that you don't actually find the activities resulting from those choices to be fun or engaging.

Despite that, instead of changing the choices you make, you CHOOSE to keep doing them, and complain that they aren't fun.

You're your own problem.
Haulie Berry
#139 - 2013-04-01 20:26:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Haulie Berry
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Leia Kommana wrote:
Not true, I did ALL the tutorials, and many more missions besides that.
My point is, what am I supposed to do now?

I can't do higher level missions, because I don't have the skills for cruisers and bigger ships, and it will be days perhaps weeks before I do.


Valid point.

For the vets who can do whatever they want, they'll be sure to come here to defend the status quo. But they're not helping the game grow, they're dinosaurs with the heads in the sand defending their turf. Happens in too many games, and then they wonder why the game becomes more of a bot haven.

CCP could improve the game by offering more for newer players who haven't experienced the skill grind (and it's a different type of grind, but has the same feel...pure timesink to pay to play). Because it takes a good month to have the skills to even do level 3 missions in a battlecruiser. A player will grow out of level 1/2 within a month, even casually playing. Then they hit the wall of trying to skill up to use a battlecruiser with enough skills to do early level 4s. Then face the real skill grind to fly a battleship.

So between cruisers and battleships there needs to be something to do. Asking players to pay to sit in a dock to level maybe fine for vets, but it's not how to attract and keep newer players. They outgrown level 1/2 missions, but level 3/4 are out of reach in a frigate (or they can make the mistake of jumping into a battlecruiser without the weapons/defense skills and now out of ships that insurance doesn't payout to replace).



Confirming that running missions is basically the entire point of Eve, and there's no point in even logging in until you can do level 4s. Lol

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

There are 101 things to do between running missions in a cruiser and running missions in a battleship, the majority of which are vastly more interesting than running missions of any level.
Killar Monk
All-Out
#140 - 2013-04-15 06:06:11 UTC
Saw this on google and it made me rage... EVE is the only game where you will be able to participate in "end game content" within your first month. A total nub can jump in a griffin or t1 tackler and provide wonders for a small / large gang. Make some friends, join a good pvp corp, you'll never say that eve is boring and "skillless" again..

It took me a while before I learned how to play eve. I joined, quit, and joined again. Trust me... BE SOCIAL and you'll find yourself in best game you've ever had the honor to play.