These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

95% male players, 50% Female characters???

First post
Author
Your Royal Highness
Doomheim
#161 - 2013-04-01 18:50:41 UTC
Strange but true... When EVE first came out I made my main toon a female and was surprised how many other players assumed that I was a female player.

People are more familiar with MMO's and not so naive now.

We are not amused...

Matt Treck
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#162 - 2013-05-01 14:45:37 UTC
Meh, no real reason. I like to make my characters look nice. And I usually think females look better.
Teinyhr
Ourumur
#163 - 2013-05-01 14:54:33 UTC
Sadie Eriker wrote:
I suspect that if I had chosen a male character that people would not put up with me nearly as much as what they do.
However, I chose a female character 'cause everyone knows boys have cooties. Smile


Off topic, but my god that is possibly the most adorable character portrait I've seen in this game so far.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#164 - 2013-05-01 14:57:04 UTC
I love all the excuses about playing female pilots because you like looking at them... when this game is far more optimal with all pictures disabled.

Sack up.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Cpt Stratos
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#165 - 2013-05-01 15:29:40 UTC
I mostly choose female characters in games these days. In the past I only ever played males, but now I am tired of making male characters. I have no"insecurities" for playing a game where my digital avatar is not my gender. Plus I have more fun making female characters and they sometimes have more options in the character creators.

In other games it seems the female models had better overall animations, such as attack and running. I have seen games where the males run like they have a stick up their butt. However in this game that is not really an issue.

There is really nothing "deep" about why I made/make female characters, I just prefer their look and enjoy making them. I can never seem to make a good male character. If people have issues with me or others who play a game and make a digital character of the opposite gender then I am sorry.
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#166 - 2013-05-01 15:39:42 UTC
More pleasing to the eye but my main is a male ... in other games which involves running my toon around and watching its rear end for hours I make female ones also. I must say though that the butts modelled in CQ in Eve are some of the finer butts in all games I've played. Kudos to CCP for being good butt designers.
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Velicitia
XS Tech
#167 - 2013-05-01 15:41:10 UTC
Cascinova Egnald wrote:
The only thing that confuses me is when you are writing about someone in game chat that is using a female avatar and a female name. Do you say "she or her"? Even when you know that more than likely it's a dude? Do you ignore the avatar and assume it's a man?



Well, if we're referring to the character themself (e.g. Seleene), then I'd say "her". Or hell, I usually end up talking about Vel (or my alts) in the third person, even when I'm logged in as them.

However, if we're talking about Seleene as the human CSM member who happens to own the character "Seleene", it's "he".

They're two different "people", and should be referred to as such. Here, my characters are closer to 50/50 (realistically more like 60/40) than in other RPG style games where they'd normally be all female; due to the male character portraits always looking daft -- especially in games like NWN or BG, where you had a very limited pool of portraits to work from (e.g. 1-3 for any character type).

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#168 - 2013-05-01 15:45:39 UTC
I will always refer to the avatar's gender unless I personally know that person.

It's the price of admission.

For instance, Tippia and mynnna I know both are male, but I will always refer to them as "she". It's simple politeness at the base level since they prefer to be known as such (I have known scammers in other games who use the female gendering of their toon for maximum effect and respect that).

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#169 - 2013-05-01 15:45:47 UTC
those figures are indeed worrisome :D
Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#170 - 2013-05-01 15:59:47 UTC
playing female characters is like wearing female underwear :D
Logan Nask
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#171 - 2013-05-01 16:15:56 UTC

So I suppose since I'm female and only have female characters so far I should see what the other side is like.
Muad 'dib
The Nine Nine
#172 - 2013-05-01 16:20:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Muad 'dib
i think the biggest tip for this would be the words role play in the term MMORPG which i believe eve is.

50/50 sounds bang on for working as intended no?

And wouldn't it spoil the immersion if there were 95% of male chars flown?

obvious-sausage-fest-online

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Velicitia
XS Tech
#173 - 2013-05-01 16:25:19 UTC
Harry Forever wrote:
playing female characters is like wearing female underwear :D



they make me feel pretty. Cool

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Mire Stoude
S0utherN Comfort
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#174 - 2013-05-01 16:42:40 UTC
Ok, it's time to finally tell the truth.. Even though my current avatar is male, all my eve alts and every character in every other game is female. This is mainly due to the fact I've always wanted to be a woman.

There, are you satisfied OP? You have outed me, omg the weight is lifted. I feel so much better.
Kaliska Asuful
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#175 - 2013-05-01 17:32:41 UTC
Because I'm part of the 5%.
Spurty
#176 - 2013-05-01 17:37:04 UTC
Just like cars, spaceships are great equalizers when it comes to the male/female thing.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Brit Green
Hagkaup
#177 - 2013-05-01 18:03:55 UTC
Let's face it. Even though they should know better, the basement dwelling neckbeards that inhabit this game will give more stuff to a character that presents as a hot female.

I, for one, take full advantage of that.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#178 - 2013-05-01 19:55:28 UTC
Kaliska Asuful wrote:
Because I'm part of the 5%.


Dude gal, your make up!
Sulei Acami
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#179 - 2013-05-01 21:53:24 UTC
Because whatever. I already had a male avatar, so I figured I'd make a female one. Doesn't really matter to me either way, I play as both male and female characters in games all the time.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Top Belt for Fun
#180 - 2013-05-01 21:54:20 UTC
Ovv Topik wrote:
I’ve often wondered and can’t find any thread on this.

Trolls & flames welcome as always. But some thoughts appreciated as well.

So why did you pick a female character?


Because Achura males used to look like complete ass.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.