These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

95% male players, 50% Female characters???

First post
Author
Angang Ostus
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#181 - 2013-05-01 21:57:38 UTC
Not too much of the whole meeting your girlfriend through an MMO thing in EVE I guess.
mmorpg lol
The Dark Space Initiative
Initiative Mercenaries
#182 - 2013-05-01 22:25:53 UTC
Name doesn't work if its a male char....
Destoya
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#183 - 2013-05-01 22:43:18 UTC
I follow the policy of equal opportunity for all my mains!

Of my 2 oldest acounts, 1 is a Caldari Achura female because the men looked terrible and the other is a Civire male, also because the male Achura looked horrible.

Since the racial base attributes got removed, I have made a female Minmatar character, a male Amarr character, and most recently a female Gallente one.
Nex Killer
Perkone
Caldari State
#184 - 2013-05-01 23:49:47 UTC
I have 4 accounts 2 girls 2 guys.
Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#185 - 2013-05-01 23:54:31 UTC
Katran Luftschreck wrote:
Just look at their picture.

Men do boob shots.

Women do head shots.


TIL I'm a woman?

I think you're confusing men with teenage boys.
Sisohiv
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#186 - 2013-05-02 00:29:59 UTC
The topic has been done many times. The answer for me, is always the same. I don't see myself as a mirror of a video game character. I see them as actors in a movie I am the director of. I have a matriarchal faith system (God is a feminine) so a heroine makes more sense to me. Hence, I roll heroines in my video game movies.
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#187 - 2013-05-02 01:05:02 UTC
Kirjava is an idealised me, my alts are sexy girls, my main alt is my definition of a sex bomb.

Basically I immerse my own ego into my main, my alts are just accessories. Apart from my second I don't have much investment in them before them looking cool.

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

dark heartt
#188 - 2013-05-02 01:26:44 UTC
Bought this character. My first one is male.
Keera Keikira
Perkone
Caldari State
#189 - 2013-05-02 02:43:22 UTC
It weirds me out since if a guy has a female avatar I wind up saying "she" anyways (Unless I've heard them on teamspeak!)
I don't know, if I were a guy I'd most likely make myself a guy character since it would be me in the game, and because roleplay. Cool
Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#190 - 2013-05-02 02:48:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Lost True
Ovv Topik wrote:
I’ve often wondered and can’t find any thread on this.

Trolls & flames welcome as always. But some thoughts appreciated as well.

So why did you pick a female character?

1. Obviously, a female character is much pleasing for eyes. Why would we take the male ones when there is a females? Well, only if you indentify yourself with the character. But for such thing it's should be very immersive game. EVE is not. And i haven't seen such immersive enough games anyway.

2. Do you prefer 95% male characters? It's just boring.

3. There will be another issue anyway, like: why 90% of players create a normal guys, while 70% of them are ugly no-lifers?

P.S. Well, i have different characters. But as long as there are no cool coats and suits for them, this is my favorite.

in 2007 i've thought it's a sci-fi simulator, not an "e-sports" game. I'm not a teenager, how would i like it much?

Celeste Taylor
Ruby Dynasty
#191 - 2013-05-02 09:52:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Celeste Taylor
Chandaris wrote:
Cascinova Egnald wrote:
The only thing that confuses me is when you are writing about someone in game chat that is using a female avatar and a female name. Do you say "she or her"? Even when you know that more than likely it's a dude? Do you ignore the avatar and assume it's a man?


I use the gender of they player when referring to them (if I know it, otherwise the gender of the 'main' avatar, and the gender of the avatar when referring to that.

Example: Is Mike online? does he still have Shirley in Old Man Star? I need HIM to move HER to Rancer.


Exactly! I too refer to my characters in the third person using the gender of the character. I wonder if people who have more alts tend to view their characters in the third person? My characters are all individuals with very different personalities, ethics and history from my own. I will say X came across some extra ISK so she bought a new ship, and Y got ganked and lost his ship when referring to my characters. I don't RP in the sense that I "pretend" to be my characters, but there are certain things I know that some of my characters will do, and others will not.
Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#192 - 2013-05-02 10:03:50 UTC
Akiyo Mayaki wrote:
Cascinova Egnald wrote:
The only thing that confuses me is when you are writing about someone in game chat that is using a female avatar and a female name. Do you say "she or her"? Even when you know that more than likely it's a dude? Do you ignore the avatar and assume it's a man?


Always assuming it's a guy. If it's a girl she can object.


That's sexist Evil
Muad 'dib
The Nine Nine
#193 - 2013-05-02 10:25:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Muad 'dib
Angang Ostus wrote:
Not too much of the whole meeting your girlfriend through an MMO thing in EVE I guess.


a tiny percentage maybe, but it happens for sure.

About the guys picking the girl avatars, if you are going to be an ass you might as well have a nice one too

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Valari Nala Zena
Perkone
Caldari State
#194 - 2013-05-02 10:45:13 UTC
Rebecha Pucontis wrote:
Most female characters are alts is my guess.


This is true for me.

Also, i'm in favor of more boobs on the internet.
Also, "If i have to look at an ass all day, better be a women's" (although not very applicable in this particular game but still).
Lady Areola Fappington
#195 - 2013-05-02 10:49:38 UTC
Delving a little deeper into the psychology of it, there's also a degree of disconnection between avatar and RL person, that's enhanced when a cross-gender avatar is used. It helps prevent too investment of self" into the bad things done, or done to the character in the game.

For some, it's a means to an end (corp thefting and such)
Others, might just be the "looking at a female backside"
To be honest, I'm sure more than a few gents derive some sort of carnal excitement in impersonating the opposite gender. It's "safe" crossdressing after all.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Muad 'dib
The Nine Nine
#196 - 2013-05-02 10:55:10 UTC
what about feminine gay men picking the girls because they have prettier clothes, i mean different DIFFERENT oh now its out there

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#197 - 2013-05-02 10:58:41 UTC
Muad 'dib wrote:
what about feminine gay men picking the girls because they have prettier clothes, i mean different DIFFERENT oh now its out there

They should let the clothes work across the board.

Imagine all the fabulous cross dressing pirates with makeup, lels had all round Lol

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Kharamete
Royal Assent
#198 - 2013-05-02 11:08:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Kharamete
I think that some of the responses in this thread show that there is a large segment of the player base that have issues with their gender identity and/or their sexuality. I would also wonder why it is so necessary to focus on the “I want to look at a nice ass” when what you are playing in the games where you have a chance to see that are not human. Does this mean that there is a serious amount of bestiality going on in the gaming community? Lol

In my case I have two mains; one male and one female. My male main was supposed to be a jack-of-all trades, but have segued via initial missioning and stuff into being my PVP/combat main. My female main was much more utilitarian. I needed someone to haul things with; salvage and reprocessed minerals that the male main generated in his more noobish missioning days.

Now I have a plethora of alts and I would say it's about fifty fifty. I can't really say there is any rhyme or reason to why they are their particular gender. My first impulse when I build another alt is their function: cyno, trader, etc. This alt I'm writing this on was never supposed to undock from a station, and I think I created him just to not have to travel to far to go to Amarr. It was entirely random.

The more menacing, bean-countery look was made possible by Incarna. Before Incarna he looked much more silly.

CCP FoxFour: "... the what button... oh god I didn't even know that existed. BRB."

My little youtube videos can be found here

Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#199 - 2013-05-02 11:57:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Lost True
Celeste Taylor wrote:
Chandaris wrote:
Cascinova Egnald wrote:
The only thing that confuses me is when you are writing about someone in game chat that is using a female avatar and a female name. Do you say "she or her"? Even when you know that more than likely it's a dude? Do you ignore the avatar and assume it's a man?


I use the gender of they player when referring to them (if I know it, otherwise the gender of the 'main' avatar, and the gender of the avatar when referring to that.

Example: Is Mike online? does he still have Shirley in Old Man Star? I need HIM to move HER to Rancer.


Exactly! I too refer to my characters in the third person using the gender of the character. I wonder if people who have more alts tend to view their characters in the third person? My characters are all individuals with very different personalities, ethics and history from my own. I will say X came across some extra ISK so she bought a new ship, and Y got ganked and lost his ship when referring to my characters. I don't RP in the sense that I "pretend" to be my characters, but there are certain things I know that some of my characters will do, and others will not.

Now when i've thought about this, i have something like that too.

I have 2 male combat pilots without any research or industry stuff(of course!). And this one, almost without any combat skills, designed to do any stuff that doesn't involve shooting. Sometimes i like to switch to this one and calmly mine in the highsec, building stuff a bit... Have a different contacts, different corps. They have almost the same ~150kk SP, so i kinda have 2 mains.
And i like to use this one for forum... I don't know, maybe because the women talks a lot, so this role is suitable for this char Lol

in 2007 i've thought it's a sci-fi simulator, not an "e-sports" game. I'm not a teenager, how would i like it much?

Daimon Kaiera
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#200 - 2013-05-02 11:58:23 UTC
I picked a female because I wish I was born a female in real life.


End story.

.... . .-.. .--. / .. / .... .- ...- . / ..-. .- .-.. .-.. . -. / .- -. -.. / .. / -.-. .- -. -. --- - / --. . - / ..- .--. / ... - --- .--. - .... .. ... / ... .. --. -. .- - ..- .-. . / .. -.. . .- / .. ... / -. --- - / ... - --- .-.. . -. / ... - --- .--.