These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Solution to Bot Mining

First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#101 - 2013-03-29 11:38:58 UTC
Mikhael Taron wrote:
Eve is a business.

CCP is a for-profit company.

Each bot requires a paid account, making each bot a revenue stream for CCP.

That so much has been made of the issue of botting would indicate a large number of paid accounts dedicated to bots.

If bots were eliminated a large number of paid accounts would disappear. CCP would lose revenue.

The possibility exists that this loss of revenue could test the financial viability of Eve.

It's possible that losing bots could lose you Eve.

Was that your intention?

CCP have said many times that bots cause more harm than they bring in with subs.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#102 - 2013-03-29 13:56:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Dave Stark wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
I don't have an elegant solution to bot mining.

i do.
it's not broken, so...

leave it the **** alone.

I think you are mistaken, bot mining is not fine. It is a problem.

no, mining simply isn't a problem.

the fact that the game has bots, is totally irrelevant to the state of mining currently. as a game mechanic mining is fine and doesn't need to be changed at all. as an activity mining could do with a few tweaks such as making null sec worth mining in, giving player corps a way of actually having something to offer miners etc.

a lot of bots being miners has nothing to do with mining, if you want to change bot mining; ban the bots not **** up a perfectly fine game mechanic.

Dave,

My posts were not about mining. They are about BOT mining.

Bot mining. Not mining.

Now if magically we could snap our fingers and get rid of the mining bots, then yeah mining is just fine...boring, but fine. Therein lies the problem...suggestions to fix bot mining often end up breaking mining for the non-bots, IMO. Having to try and figure out a captcha every x interval of time is not a solution. Mini-games are not a solution.

As such, having CCP track down and ban bots is probably the best solution atm.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Mikhael Taron
Four Winds Industry
#103 - 2013-03-29 14:56:23 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Mikhael Taron wrote:

Was that your intention?

CCP have said many times that bots cause more harm than they bring in with subs.

Yet they exist still and will continue to do so. The training of a mining bot is minimal effort before it pays for itself. Destroy one and another appears quickly in its place.

Introducing AI to track what a mining ship is doing and applying 'smarts' to determine its bot-status would overload the server in a short time.

Having staff checking mining ships for bot-movements would send costs spiralling up. Remember: Eve is a business.

Blocking an IP address found to be used by a bot can't happen, as most ISPs reuse regularly addresses and some unwitting player could find themselves blocked from the game. Also proxies and other types of connections will render that useless.

As to the 'more harm than they bring in with subs' quote: has CCP quantified this harm in relation to the money they earn from it?

Even with bots mining is still an earner for those who can't, or don't want to, involve themselves in other activities. When the ability to earn from mining is compromised by bots to a much larger degree than it is at the moment THEN I'll start to take seriously these complaints. For now I consider it to be a non-problem.

You can fool some of the people all of the time. You can fool all of the people some of the time. You can make a fool out of yourself anytime.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#104 - 2013-03-29 15:20:18 UTC
Mikhael Taron wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Mikhael Taron wrote:

Was that your intention?

Yet they exist still and will continue to do so. The training of a mining bot is minimal effort before it pays for itself. Destroy one and another appears quickly in its place.

Introducing AI to track what a mining ship is doing and applying 'smarts' to determine its bot-status would overload the server in a short time.

Having staff checking mining ships for bot-movements would send costs spiralling up. Remember: Eve is a business.

Blocking an IP address found to be used by a bot can't happen, as most ISPs reuse regularly addresses and some unwitting player could find themselves blocked from the game. Also proxies and other types of connections will render that useless.

As to the 'more harm than they bring in with subs' quote: has CCP quantified this harm in relation to the money they earn from it?

Even with bots mining is still an earner for those who can't, or don't want to, involve themselves in other activities. When the ability to earn from mining is compromised by bots to a much larger degree than it is at the moment THEN I'll start to take seriously these complaints. For now I consider it to be a non-problem.

Yes they have said mass banning bots does not hurt them in the poket. Hence why they ban two to three thousand at a time.
Tonto Auri
Vhero' Multipurpose Corp
#105 - 2013-03-29 15:26:18 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

But is that true?

Two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. -- Harlan Ellison

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#106 - 2013-03-29 15:44:42 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Tonto Auri wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

But is that true?

Yes. You should have seen the rage on botting forums at the last fanfest, it was glorious. Recently CCP hit a botting tool and banned several hundred. There was a blog post all about it.

We at Bat Country also have first hand experience when we ran our interdiction and got several hundred botting barge pilots smacked with the hammer. At the time the botting forums were rife with rage towards us. Now CCP operate a two strike system and I belive they block the botters from selling on their tarnished character.
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#107 - 2013-03-29 16:01:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
Tonto Auri wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

But is that true?

Again, read this.

There are probably a few casual botters who more or less fit your assumptions, except that they almost certainly bot to pay for their accounts with ISK via PLEX, driving the price of PLEX to artificially high levels. CCP's first strike is designed to dissuade those.

The linked article reveals what the hardcore botters and RMTers do, and their tactics are incredibly costly both to CCP (and ANet, and Blizzard, etc.) and a risk to their customers.

It's not a small issue. CCP do not have a team dedicated to ridding the game of bots because a few of them got drunk one night and thought it would be fun. They're investing the time and talent in Team Security because, if they're successful, the return will be more than worth it--in terms of the health of the in-game economy and the security of their customers, and their own bottom line.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Dave Stark
#108 - 2013-03-29 16:40:39 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
having CCP track down and ban bots is probably the best solution atm.

which, they are doing...
Jerrick Chase
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#109 - 2013-03-29 18:10:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Jerrick Chase
Dave Stark wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
having CCP track down and ban bots is probably the best solution atm.

which, they are doing...

To further reinforce Dave's reply a bit.
http://lowseclifestyle.blogspot.se/2012/10/eve-vegas-ccp-stillman-discusses-bots.html

Edit: I removed poor suggestion.

I also wasn't aware of how bad botting was until I read the link I posted. I knew it existed but definitely not to that extent. So my question is how do you identify that a person is bot mining? Just sending a convo invite I guess? Any blatantly obvious things that a bot miner would do?
Dave Stark
#110 - 2013-03-29 18:26:53 UTC
Jerrick Chase wrote:
I know this would break everyone elses bookmarks as well, unfortunately.

this reason alone is why people need to just stop trying to "fix" the problem.
the fix is to ban bots, not **** up the game for people who aren't botters.

yes, bots, as a whole, are bad for the game.
do those bots impact upon a players day-to-day business? not in the slightest, as a miner, so i doubt it does at all for other players. there's really no need to drastically **** up a perfectly fine system for everyone, to disrupt a few bots for a few days until the bot programs get updated and then you have bots functioning normally and the playerbase still subject to a bad change.

just let ccp get on with banning them, and put the mental energy to something more useful than "how can we ruin mining for every one forever just to disrupt bots for a week?"
Blastil
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#111 - 2013-03-29 19:02:12 UTC
real solution to boting: turn the graphics model for asteroids into naked dancing women. Would also double subscriber base. Suicide ganking would end.
Dave Stark
#112 - 2013-03-29 19:04:40 UTC
Blastil wrote:
real solution to boting: turn the graphics model for asteroids into naked dancing women. Would also double subscriber base. Suicide ganking would end.

i...

i like this idea.
supernova ranger
The End of Eternity
#113 - 2013-03-29 19:06:37 UTC
I would use an aspect of Lore to where the rats talk to the player in such a way that requires human interaction.

The ONLY way I see bots being taken out is to randomly display something garbled that requires a thinking response.

I would recommend in particular rats that showed up and hailed the individual using CAPTCHA and had them respond in local or by clicking a button in a series.

I would then, for an example, if the player did the actions correctly say something stupid like "don't plug that in" or "that doesn't go there" and watch the ship explode leaving behind a little loot to compensate for the disturbance. Failure to reply would result in a number of rats showing up that were relatively pissed off for you ignoring them, they could then go hostile after awhile of continuous cycles or just leave saying "well remember this."

I think pulling data from a game mechanic like that would make botters stand out like a sore thumb.
T'Laar Bok
#114 - 2013-03-29 23:16:14 UTC
supernova ranger wrote:
CAPTCHA

FFS

Amphetimines are your friend.

http://eveboard.com/pilot/T'Laar_Bok

Mikhael Taron
Four Winds Industry
#115 - 2013-03-30 09:24:33 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

Yes they have said mass banning bots does not hurt them in the poket. Hence why they ban two to three thousand at a time.

Within a week the bot is back in its barge and mining to pay not only for the month's sub for the newly created account but also for the plex for the next month. Hell, it's operational immediately in a venture.

This is most likely why mass banning doesn't hurt them in the pocket.

You can fool some of the people all of the time. You can fool all of the people some of the time. You can make a fool out of yourself anytime.

Rh4ziel
IFYMIA
#116 - 2013-03-30 09:39:35 UTC
Put court claim on bot developers like Blizzard do it.
Tuttomenui II
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#117 - 2013-03-31 08:53:04 UTC
Incursions do a good job against Bots. I watched 2 orcas get popped in a 0.7 sec systems ice belt about an hour ago. Watch in delight as a single frigate and cruiser slowly dispatched them. As 3 capsules from what I assumed used to be in Mackinaws sat there dumb and motionless.

Then some guy tried to smart bomb them i tried to decloak my nemesis to whore in on concord's kill but he popped before i got target lock Ugh. Well he Failed to pod these bots so I Executed him forth with. Twisted Crazy when a capsule sticks around for 2 volleys from a nemesis.
Naomi Knight
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#118 - 2013-03-31 10:02:48 UTC
remove mining
minerals should just appear in your hangar , so you can do whatever you want with them to do:D
this would fix it^^
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#119 - 2013-03-31 10:29:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Little Dragon Khamez
Simple Solution Derj's Disease.

Strke 1 - You get caught botting and all minerals in your hold mined since last log in turn into useless, worthless Augumene.

Strike 2 - You get caught botting a second time and all of your minerals mined since eternity get contaminated with useless, worthless Augumene,

Strike 3- You get caught botting and your get Derj's disease, meaning you cannot be cloned ever! That's it, undock and if someone pops your clone you are never coming back and concord gets to auction all of your stuff.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#120 - 2013-03-31 11:13:49 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
Simple Solution Derj's Disease.

Strke 1 - You get caught botting and all minerals in your hold mined since last log in turn into useless, worthless Augumene.

Strike 2 - You get caught botting a second time and all of your minerals mined since eternity get contaminated with useless, worthless Augumene,

Strike 3- You get caught botting and your get Derj's disease, meaning you cannot be cloned ever! That's it, undock and if someone pops your clone you are never coming back and concord gets to auction all of your stuff.

CCP currently run;

1st strike for botting is a 30 day ban, any isk gained from botting is taken away.

2nd strike for botting is a permanent ban.

Any client modification is a permanent ban on first offense.

Any involvement in RMT is a permanent ban on first offense.