These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

WTB Dislike button on forums or way to downvote posts.

First post
Author
DrunkenNinja
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-03-23 08:39:23 UTC
Hello CCP, could you please consider adding a "dislike" or -1 button to the forums?
I see so many stupid posts every time I read this forum and we only have limited options to voice our disagreement.

If a downvote button was added (and the negative score displayed on the post) it would help generate a sense of community as everyone who read that post and disliked it would know they were not alone in the universe.

If this subtracted from our "likes received" (and allowed it to go negative) it would be an excellent way to "name and shame" players.
Monnty
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2013-03-23 08:41:40 UTC

-1
Agnar Volta
Perkone
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-03-23 08:50:01 UTC
Yeah. We need more haters, I'm pretty sure we don't have enough of them.

Also the poor creatures don't have how to express themselves in a forum.

All power to the haters!!!
flakeys
Doomheim
#4 - 2013-03-23 09:12:11 UTC
-1 for you

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

S'Way
SUNDERING
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2013-03-23 09:12:29 UTC
I can see one potential reason why they've not added one - alliance downvoting blocks.
Besides the old forums never had any up / down vote buttons at all and we managed just fine.
Whitehound
#6 - 2013-03-23 09:24:56 UTC
Better idea:

Do not call it Likes, but call it Things. Then add three buttons for Stone, Paper and Scissors.

You can then brag about how you have more Stone than Paper or that your Paper beats my Scissors.

Ideas and Features Discussion is where you should have posted it.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
#7 - 2013-03-23 09:33:18 UTC
I agree with S'Way and can also think about other ways this could be a real problem.

As it stands now anyone can like any posts they see fit, and there is no way to know if this person actually "liked" your post because it was good/funny or because they are liking every single post they come across in certain threads (especially in Out of pod exsperiense i have noticed this happening a lot). The "idea" behind the likes were good, but it was shown pointless pretty fast.

Now lets imagion there is a "dislike" option.
For people who are looking for a corp i can actually see this becoming very handy. In general all recruitment posts aims to "look good" in order to get recruits, and unless someone has the patience to read trough pages of "bumps" there is no way to see if someone has something bad to say about said corp. But if you could "dislike" the recruitment post...well then it would be easier to see if people felt the post was accurate and if the corp was worth joining.
But now how this could be abused..
Imagion a player who got blown up, felt unfairly treated, got smacked in local, simply dosent like you for some reason and has no knowledge about your corp. Run to the forums and "down rate" said corp. Suddenly a perfectly good corp looks really bad because a bunch of angry players still havent understood that EVE is not a nice place.
Older players would know how to do their own research, but for younger players they would not know where to look and would base a lot on the "dislikes" "likes" a post have.

Same can happen with perfectly good posts anywhere else on the forums. Someone posts good advice in response to a random question, and people who want to..mess with you.. just because they can will "dislike" the post(s) just for "fun", leaving the person who asked the question not knowing weather or not the correct responses were actually correct.

And ofc you have people who make a living out of varius services, like making KB banners and third party traders and similar. There is a lot of competition here so it would be logical to "dislike" the competition just to try and get more costumers them selfes.

The only way i can see that the "likes" "dislike" system actually working the way (im guessing) CCP intended is if you can leave a "public comment" with your like/dislike. As an example "I like this post because it made me laugh" or "I dislike this post because its just a bad idea". But implementing something like this would be pretty hard (since im not a computer person im assuming here) and i doubt it can be done.

So your options are pretty simple.. Instead of a "dislike" option you can either not respond to the person, or respond with valid questions and comments explaining why you dont like it and maybe get a useful and productive discussion out of it.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#8 - 2013-03-23 09:36:04 UTC
A Dislike Button would just be abused horribly.

My eyes are abused enough already with the negativity in GD in particular.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#9 - 2013-03-23 09:37:40 UTC
NightCrawler 85 wrote:

Now lets imagion there is a "dislike" option.
For people who are looking for a corp i can actually see this becoming very handy. In general all recruitment posts aims to "look good" in order to get recruits, and unless someone has the patience to read trough pages of "bumps" there is no way to see if someone has something bad to say about said corp. But if you could "dislike" the recruitment post...well then it would be easier to see if people felt the post was accurate and if the corp was worth joining.
But now how this could be abused..
Imagion a player who got blown up, felt unfairly treated, got smacked in local, simply dosent like you for some reason and has no knowledge about your corp. Run to the forums and "down rate" said corp. Suddenly a perfectly good corp looks really bad because a bunch of angry players still havent understood that EVE is not a nice place.
Older players would know how to do their own research, but for younger players they would not know where to look and would base a lot on the "dislikes" "likes" a post have.

Same can happen with perfectly good posts anywhere else on the forums. Someone posts good advice in response to a random question, and people who want to..mess with you.. just because they can will "dislike" the post(s) just for "fun", leaving the person who asked the question not knowing weather or not the correct responses were actually correct.




Actually, replace a few key words here with "Bounty" and you have perfectly described the flaw in THAT system. Smile

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Alara IonStorm
#10 - 2013-03-23 09:45:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
A Dislike Button would just be abused horribly.

You're wrong and lack faith in our polite and friendly community.

This is such a good idea that when it gets added I will dislike every post you make or have ever made regardless position, subject or topic. I will dislike your posts based solely on that they are made by you and not by their content. Then I will dislike every post of your alts. I don't know exactly who they are but I have 15 to 20 strong suspects that will have me and my alts B-17's of justice constantly raining down disapproval bombs.

Abuse? Hardly. I dare you to find one shred of evidence to support this Mr. Alarmist.
Degren
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-03-23 09:48:34 UTC
I can't wait for the Dislike and Get Dislikes thread.

Hello, hello again.

Mikhem
Taxisk Unlimited
#12 - 2013-03-23 09:48:57 UTC
Long time ago I made similar suggestion. Key difference with my idea is that like and dislike should be separate numbers. Read more here.

Mikhem

Link library to EVE music songs.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#13 - 2013-03-23 09:48:59 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:

Abuse? Hardly. I dare you to find one shred of evidence to support this Mr. Alarmist.


Big smile

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Whitehound
#14 - 2013-03-23 09:54:11 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Abuse? Hardly. I dare you to find one shred of evidence to support this Mr. Alarmist.

You have not been on many forums, clearly. Lol

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#15 - 2013-03-23 10:01:24 UTC
Mikhem wrote:
Long time ago I made similar suggestion. Key difference with my idea is that like and dislike should be separate numbers. Read more here.



THIS would actually work.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Athena Maldoran
Doomheim
#16 - 2013-03-23 10:05:29 UTC
The best way to acheive this is by extreemly bad posting! Big smile
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#17 - 2013-03-23 10:10:41 UTC
Athena Maldoran wrote:
The best way to acheive this is by extreemly bad posting! Big smile



Like THIS ?

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Degren
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-03-23 10:35:58 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Athena Maldoran wrote:
The best way to acheive this is by extreemly bad posting! Big smile



Like THIS ?


Didn't you?

Hello, hello again.

Whitehound
#19 - 2013-03-23 10:52:32 UTC
Degren wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Athena Maldoran wrote:
The best way to acheive this is by extreemly bad posting! Big smile



Like THIS ?


Didn't you?

What do you think?

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Tiberius StarGazer
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#20 - 2013-03-23 11:48:56 UTC
While I agree a dislike button would be useful, in the context of the forums it would actually reduce the level of feedback from critisism.

Right now, if you want to disagree with a particular comment, you will type about it and say why. Unless of course your just deciding to be unhelpful and put a -1 or a no...

Actually, running down that line of thought, eraddicating the -1 or no or other banal replies that lazy people type would actually be a be a benefit.
123Next page