These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

The Night Beagle experiment

First post
Author
Night Beagle
Beagle Inc
#1 - 2013-02-22 23:32:34 UTC
In the last weeks leading to this message I had only one moment when I was wondering if the effort is wasted. One player asked if I was trolling. In fact I was not, but also he was not far from the truth.

Will be useful to read the quote below, but one can also get to the end and see the TL DR.

Quote:
Presentation: Acquired political behavior

Aim: participants will understand how political behavior has influenced the mindset of human groups

Objectives: to acquire data on resistance to change generated by political behavior

Introduction:
EVE Online is a multiplayer online game, claiming to use the sandbox model. Users are allowed anonymity and to engage in otherwise societal condemnable behavior, seemingly making them more susceptible to express themselves freely.  Ten years after the launch of the game, the maker, CCP is the largest IT company in Iceland, a country that showed special preference for democracy and chosed to react differently to the effects of the economic crisis. CCP publicly admitted that employs economists, however no data on the use of sociologists or behavioral specialists is available.

The player community has evolved and organized itself, moving at a fast pace from anarchy to a form of feudal society. CCP is accelerating the development of society by forcibly inserting representative democracy into the game, in the form of CSM.

In order to attain the objective, the researcher should introduce into the public debate a subject that is controversial but unfamiliar to most participants, making possible the analysis of transfer of users personal experiences to a field not enough understood. The activity will be facilitated by the information fed by the media, the misleading texts put in the forums,  and users lack of in depth knowledge on the meta mechanisms acting in the field.

The opportunity for gathering relevant data sets is in the period before the official launch of the election procedures, as any character can make claims without being forced to decline its identity as is the case for election cycle.

The driver must be based on a fallacy in order to promote data generating conflict. Proposed subject is direct democracy, in the context where CCP pushes for representative democracy thru its CSM method. While direct democracy in the electronic environment serves the purpose of efficiently gathering input from large masses of individuals, the concept is mutually exclusive and cannot be applied in a representative system. Also, the feudal type game society has not been yet been decisively influenced by the ideas of democracy. From the information available via player forums, no change of system is foreseen for the current cycle.

Initial steps:
1. Launching a platform based on direct democracy, Liquid Feedback software.
2. Use previously identified relations between groups in order to attract attention and involve as many individuals as possible.
3. Support trolling and anticonstructive behavior
4. Gradually increase the level of discussion and identify the possibility to use individual positions in order to generate discussions

Method:
1.Data collection: previous data from forums, blogs and social networks, data generated by new topics purposely initiated
2.Data analysis

Tools: 1. data sets representing relations between groups 2. data sets showing patterns in behavior of involved individuals 3. data sets on the impact of various stimulus on the research subjects.

Deliverable: Case study paper and presentation.


TL DR It was a research project.
Thank you to all those who participated. I will not say I had you, but you definitely served my purpose.

In August I will present the paper to a as a keynote speaker at summer camp for youths in a political organization.

Some preliminary conclusions are that the behavior of 3 major alliances is generated by several causes, and the paper will try to see what the available data tells.
The data sets will include a schematic of high emotional relations, a set of who posted, how many times, trolling and preference for a specific argument, combined with patterns of posting before this topic.
The end result will show with clear data that some people have difficulties in accepting change and are stuck in a mindset imposed by the mainstream media.
Also will show how the cult of personality coming from feudal ages is still present in modern day representative democracy and how the next political system cannot come gradually, but thru a sudden change. Kind of like CCP scraping CSM and putting direct democracy instead. (phun intended)

It will be a scientific paper, with peer review from sociologists, and the fact that only 3 alliances are nominated is because they had the highest participation in the dedicated topic. I would also like to get answers to a questionnaire form all those involved sometimes at the end of next month after the preliminary analysis of data is performed.

True to my statement, the community will be served, and the paper will be publicly available after my presentation

The world needs you to stop being boring!

Omen Nihilo
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-02-23 00:23:01 UTC
Oh, you're so clever.

People who commented in your CSM thread simply realized that you'd be a terrible CSM representative.

They certainly came to the right conclusion. This thread just proves it. :)

But it's okay. You can try to save face by acting like you weren't running for CSM in the first place. ;)
Winthorp
#3 - 2013-02-23 00:26:48 UTC
This is the most elaborate way to bow out of an election, when you come to the realization people think your a joke. Roll

But if your research project is written in the same gibberish, unintelligible manner that your responses to questions were made then i truly wish you more luck as you are going to need it. You need to learn more about less word count and more paragraph structure and meaning.
Night Beagle
Beagle Inc
#4 - 2013-02-23 00:34:06 UTC
Yeah keep trolling.

Fortunately I do not have to write my paper in English :) but the presentation yes, and I will gladly link it. Will be helpful for you to hear the opinion of specialists...might learn a thing or two :)
And now that the election charade is off, I can troll too :)))

The world needs you to stop being boring!

MadbaM
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2013-02-23 01:22:34 UTC
Wouldn't following through with the actual polling have been a vital part of your "paper" that you could draw conclusions from. By the way im assuming for the sake of argument that this post is true, we can call it philosophical doubt.
Night Beagle
Beagle Inc
#6 - 2013-02-23 01:41:24 UTC
No. The result is irrelevant for my purpose as I am not trying to go into the electoral system, but only to reach the surface of what makes the crowd tick.
Also, I personally do not agree with the CCP position on privacy. I understand the reason for them knowing CSM members and have nothing against that, but every company that deals with private data should take measures to protect it to the full extent of the law. For me as an EU citizen, the fact that candidates are obliged to publicly declare their identities is a problem that cannot be surpassed.
The subject was extensively discussed in CSM, and the attitude of CCP, that we are protected by the laws and we should go to the representatives of the law if something happens is simply not acceptable for me or my employers.
Therefore I am unable to participate in such procedures.

The world needs you to stop being boring!

Carla Messer
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2013-02-23 02:25:08 UTC
Make sure you spell my name right.

I've been thinking about writing my own paper on how to punish a bad beagle with a rolled up newspaper.
Carla Messer
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2013-02-23 02:25:16 UTC
DOUBLEPOST
MadbaM
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2013-02-23 02:25:25 UTC  |  Edited by: MadbaM
"what makes the crowd tick." So your taking the opinions of a tiny minority of these 3 alliances as a crowd.

"the fact that candidates are obliged to publicly declare their identities is a problem that cannot be surpassed." This is because in taking this role your effectively becoming an employee of CCP. Your role would be to product test there new ideas software and advise them on customer needs. And when they fly you to Iceland they going to book your plane ticket under Night Beagle? The rest off CCP employees real identities are known why are you so special?

So what your saying now is that your employers have said you cant become CSM for fear you may incur the wrath of people from the game in your real life?

So at least a portion of your story is a bit wrong here, if you have discussed this with your employers this couldn't have been research into a paper your writing. At some point you must have entertained the idea of becoming CSM even at an early stage.

And by the way your ideas on politics are scary and i wonder what part of the EU your from, I don't want my government to open the polls to decide weather to make repairs to a road or not. You elect people that share your ideas or views or as close as you can get to make choices on a daily basis.

And your argument falls down at the first hurdle the resistance you got wasn't because people don't want change, its because the change you purposed was ******* stupid.
Rengas
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#10 - 2013-02-23 02:35:33 UTC
Rengas wrote:

Beagle is actually my alt and you all just got trolled hard.


I hate to say I told you so.

But I told you so.
Axloth Okiah
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2013-02-23 06:39:07 UTC
Night Beagle wrote:

-The end result will show with clear data that some people have difficulties in accepting change and are stuck in a mindset imposed by the mainstream media.

-Also will show how the cult of personality coming from feudal ages is still present in modern day representative democracy and how the next political system cannot come gradually, but thru a sudden change. Kind of like CCP scraping CSM and putting direct democracy instead.

- What mainstream media? And please don't confuse rational refusal of your proposal with people being stuck in an imposed mindset. How are you gonna prove that?

- 1) personality cults have absolutely NOTHING to do with feudal ages... or even with this election.
2) nice to know to which ideology you subscribe to


Assuming this really was done for a research paper, it seems clear to me, that you had your conclusions ready way before having any empirical data. This is not how scientific research (even political one) is done.
Night Beagle
Beagle Inc
#12 - 2013-02-23 11:03:13 UTC
@Axloth Okiah : I in no way made conclusions before researching. There are hypothesis to be proven, or not. It is too early to respond to your questions, as I already stated that these are preliminary ideas. They may be overturned by the data or even reach the conclusion that there is simply not enough data to draw a conclusion. Also do not take this as a research on the larger scale. It is a game, the sample is irrelevant for the larger population and only useful as a very limited focus group, impaired by the fact that I could not select the participants.

@Rengas : It was not you :) It was Omen Nihilo on page 3 of the campaign topic.

@MadbaM On the scientific base, please read the response to Axloth Okiah. On the privacy please read the CSM debate with CCP. It goes much deeper than your statements. It is in some measure about elected candidates and more about running candidates. I already stated that I agree that CCP should have the identities, I do not agree with them obliging people to run under their real name. Also, some of us have jobs where the image counts, and not all images are fit. What might be a good CV addition for some, it might be a career stop for others.
On my political ideeas, there is no link between them and the subject. Might be interesting for you read about European Citizens Intiative run by the European Commission, or about participatory budgets run by many cities in EU. However I am not here to do politics, only to gather data and make something out of it, and it is too early.

@Carla Messer Please do not hurt the animals. And beagles are cute :)

The world needs you to stop being boring!

Nathan Jameson
Grumpy Bastards
#13 - 2013-02-23 11:18:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Nathan Jameson
Well, I for one am relieved the experiment was conducted in an impartial manner with definable and empirically-measurable variables.

P.S.

http://www.wormholes.info

Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#14 - 2013-02-23 12:50:06 UTC
Jokes on you though, because all of my responses were for a PHD thesis I am writing about terrible political candidates in virtual worlds.

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Axloth Okiah
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-02-23 12:56:09 UTC
First you say stuff like "clear data will show". Now you say those are only hypotheses to be tested. Yet you have no mention of those in the initial quote - you can't be collecting data when you don't know what hypotheses you want to test. Moreover, your "hypotheses" are total crap and built on already false assumptions.

If this is really supposed to be a paper then a) it's sloppy and incorrect at best, and b) I naively hope there will be some eve player during the review or presentation to challenge it.

I honestly didnt give a crap about you running for CSM (i'm sure your "dataset" will show that), but selling this as an empirical research into political science is a joke.
Beaver Retriever
Reality Sequence
#16 - 2013-02-23 13:01:44 UTC
I didn't even dignify that with a glance.

You're a moron, please disappear back into a wormhole somewhere, etc, and so forth.
Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#17 - 2013-02-23 13:04:13 UTC
Night Beagle wrote:
In August I will present the paper to a as a keynote speaker at summer camp for youths in a political organization.


Is it H*tler youth camp?

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Night Beagle
Beagle Inc
#18 - 2013-02-23 13:33:27 UTC
@Two Step Nope, I hear they are expecting somebody else there... you seem to be very informed about that :)
I hope you will write that thesis and give it to us to read.

@ All From now you should not expect serious responses from me. You have been warned :)



See you at Fanfest!

The world needs you to stop being boring!

Derath Ellecon
Lotek Academy
#19 - 2013-02-23 13:38:49 UTC
Yea right. The fact that you had to come in here and post this "I got you I was just researching" makes you a tool.

At very least it is highly unprofessional and in poor taste.
Axloth Okiah
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2013-02-23 13:42:05 UTC
Two step wrote:
Night Beagle wrote:
In August I will present the paper to a as a keynote speaker at summer camp for youths in a political organization.
Is it H*tler youth camp?
Lenin looks more likely.
123Next pageLast page