These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Estimated Price - Please disable it for now.

First post
Author
Rellik B00n
Lethal Death Squad
#21 - 2013-02-20 09:46:21 UTC
OP: no

I think as a punishment for suggesting this OPs client should be modified so he doesnt have this function.

Then you can go back to working out how much every single item you own is worth when you need to move it, sell it or buy it.

Its a great tool, accuracy should always be checked but that takes about 2 seconds.
[Of a request for change ask: Who Benefits?](https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=199765)
Arronicus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#22 - 2013-02-20 10:12:53 UTC
Not 100% accurate, but serves the purpose well, and gives a rough estimate on the value of items. Would be very dissapointed if it was scrapped. One little tip if you don't like it: DON'T USE IT.
Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2013-02-20 10:16:24 UTC
Gryphon Infinite wrote:
Please just disable it for now, it literally doesn't do much, and is an annoyance.

it just determines lp payouts for fw kills...

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#24 - 2013-02-20 10:16:59 UTC
It's a great feature for those living in Wspace, maybe even the only market-related in-game intel they have.
Skorpynekomimi
#25 - 2013-02-20 10:51:54 UTC
It's a great feature, in my book. Good for quickly checking the value of my cargo hold, for example.

Economic PVP

Mina Hiragi
Perkone
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-02-20 11:03:18 UTC
Matt Ellis wrote:
Ill admit its not 100% accurate. The way i currently understand it, is that it's Eve-wide average so it gives coverage EVERYWHERE in eve. if you were to set it to Jita, then there are some people that don't buy/sell in Jita. If you were to set it to region, then fair enough, it would cover the current region.

I wil ask though. What about Wormholes? We don't have market regions, so this is the only way of quickly working out what our stuff is worth on the fly.

whynotdobothshrug.jpg

Options for EVE-wide, current region, selected region.

Perhaps many hamsters will die bringing us this information, but it would be a noble death; sure, they would chew on nibble sticks served by Valkyries in Hamster Valhalla.
Whitehound
#27 - 2013-02-20 11:05:39 UTC
Gryphon Infinite wrote:
Please just disable it for now, it literally doesn't do much, and is an annoyance.

The estimated prices are estimates and are working well. As the name says are these estimated prices and they give you a first idea of what an item might be worth.

Any dumb kid can then look up the current Jita prices and say, "Look, the prices are all wrong."

Better tell us what it was you sold for cheap and are now whining about.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Irya Boone
The Scope
#28 - 2013-02-20 11:09:01 UTC
It could be More accurate , more usefull if

The system admit the existence of Hubs ( jita, rens , hek , amarr ,dodixie)
And set the estimated Price on the Top buy order in the NEAREST hub from You as simple as it.
or more simple Choose only one HUB .. you know which one i'm talking about and set the estimated price on the top buyer order.

Simple simple like a GM said : i'm sure it's only one Line code....

CCP it's time to remove Off Grid Boost and Put Them on Killmail too, add Logi on killmails .... Open that damn door !!

you shall all bow and pray BoB

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#29 - 2013-02-20 11:11:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Mallak Azaria
Whitehound wrote:
Gryphon Infinite wrote:

The estimated prices are estimates and are working well. As the name says are these estimated prices and they give you a first idea of what an item might be worth.

Any dumb kid can then look up the current Jita prices and say, "Look, the prices are all wrong."

Better tell us what it was you sold for cheap and are now whining about.

Estimated being the keyword. Apparently the OP's understanding of the word 'estimate' is lacking. Lets see what the dictionary says...

Estimate:

Verb

Roughly calculate or judge the value, number, quantity, or extent of.

Noun

An approximate calculation or judgment of the value, number, quantity, or extent of something.

Yep, estimated value is working as intended.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Tiberious Thessalonia
True Slave Foundations
Monyusaiya Industry Trade Group
#30 - 2013-02-20 13:28:18 UTC
mechtech wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Its the average across EVE, its not ment to be accurate.

They really just should hardcode it in to use the 4-4 price if at all possible.

Jita is only the de facto market hub, not a hardcoded market hub. Tomorrow, if trends change for whatever reason, and people start using Amarr or something, a hardcoded "This is the market hub" statement would be false.
brinelan
#31 - 2013-02-20 14:26:26 UTC
Not everyone shops or sells in jita, not every region has prices for every item. It is fine the way it is.
Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2013-02-20 14:48:48 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Its the average across EVE, its not ment to be accurate.

Is that how its supposed to work? Wonder where all those 1,000 ISK or lower modules sell for high enough prices to make for their massive averages :p
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2013-02-20 14:54:01 UTC
Gryphon Infinite wrote:
The estimated price, when you hover over an inventory item, is pretty pointless right now. Many discussions throughout the past have talked about it, and have verified that it isn't working properly.

OR

With more effort, make this price just reflect like the cheapest buy order in the region / constellation / system / etc.

Hope to hear everyone's feedback on this phenomena and my idea.

Sorry, but I love it.
Lfod Shi
Lfod's Ratting and Salvage
#34 - 2013-02-20 14:55:00 UTC
I'd prefer it be improved, but it ain't broken. I use it all the time and find only a few items out a medium container are completely off price. The rest is close enough.

♪ They'll always be bloodclaws to me ♫

Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#35 - 2013-02-20 15:07:00 UTC
Roime wrote:
Well I find it an absolutely wonderful feature, giving me a ballpark figure of the value of the stuff I'm looking at.

Yup, I love the feature and would not like it removed. Also, over time prices seem to adjust. Originally, hium isotopes werelisted at double market value due to fringe sales. Now, those sales have fluctuated down, and the estimated is closer to jita price.

The only people I have heard who are unhappy are those traders in fridge markers who put very low trade orders up for high value items. People can now see such is a rip off. Heck, I swear this is why there has been a huge decline in the price if certain meta mods.
Silk daShocka
Greasy Hair Club
#36 - 2013-02-20 15:07:27 UTC
Gryphon Infinite wrote:
The estimated price, when you hover over an inventory item, is pretty pointless right now. Many discussions throughout the past have talked about it, and have verified that it isn't working properly.

OR

With more effort, make this price just reflect like the cheapest buy order in the region / constellation / system / etc.

Hope to hear everyone's feedback on this phenomena and my idea.

I like the estimate, I don't want it removed.

I"m not sure how it's an annoyance unless you have OCD I guess. Should be fairly simple to just disregard the number as being innacurate if you have knowledge that indicates it is often or always innacurate.

I disagree entirely with making it the cheapest buy order regionally. A couple reasons being:

1. Buy orders change frequently sometimes every minute (or in the case of Jita, multiples times in a minutes for some orders). These changes can be quite large in regions other than the forge, especially for low volume/rare items, and would make the estimated price even more inaccurate than it currently is in some cases.

2. Some items have 90 day buy orders for 0.02 isk in regions that dont' have big trade hubs. The gap between buy/sell in this case is huge and would cause the item to be massively undervalued on the "estimated price"
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#37 - 2013-02-20 15:07:41 UTC
Sir Substance wrote:
It makes far more sense to make it work rather then scrap it.

Which is why I said 'for now' - Turn it off, update it, and turn it back on.

Constructively, I'd like to have a right-click menu item that says 'Estimate' which would allow you to pick the trade hub of your choice to get your value estimate.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Arduemont
The State of War.
#38 - 2013-02-20 15:08:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
Gryphon Infinite wrote:
it literally doesn't do much, and is an annoyance.

It does nothing? The same code works out your insurance payments and bounty payments. Not to mention the ISK costs etc on kill-mails. Besides, I like the estimates.

If you don't like it, ignore it. It's not doing anything to you.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#39 - 2013-02-20 15:12:07 UTC
Sir Substance wrote:
It makes far more sense to make it work rather then scrap it.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Halete
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#40 - 2013-02-20 15:16:52 UTC
As said, it's extremely useful in Wormholes. It's much handier to get a rough idea of a price on the fly than to log in a trading alt.

"To know the true path, but yet, to never follow it. That is possibly the gravest sin" - The Scriptures, Book of Missions 13:21