These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Minmatar's great Debt to the Amarr Empire

First post
Author
Kelly Rabbit
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#81 - 2013-02-16 03:57:14 UTC
If the Minmatar had accepted their place and embraced their destiny, they would stand tall and proud among the Chosen. Instead, they rejected the offer of Salvation. That is why they are like the hound begging for scraps from the Gallente table.

Better to die for the Empress than live for yourself.

Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#82 - 2013-02-16 04:11:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitcher
Salvation from what, exactly?

Near as I can tell, the only thing the Minmatar ever needed saving from was being enslaved by the Empire.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Simon Louvaki
Khaldari InnoTektoniks and Analytical Solutions
#83 - 2013-02-16 04:12:52 UTC
Stitcher wrote:
Salvation from what, exactly?

Near as I can tell, the only thing the Minmatar ever needed saving from was being enslaved by the Empire.

Damnation, if your speaking religiously (though I believe it could have been obtained via other methods).

-- "The weak of mind are quick to judge with slightest tempt; Thus fools go forth to spread false word." - The Scriptures, Book of Trials 2:13 - 2:21

--"At the narrow passage, there is no brother and no friend." - Hyasyoda Proverb

Stitcher
Caldari State
#84 - 2013-02-16 04:18:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitcher
And damnation is the default natural state of human beings, is it?

This is a yes or no question, by the way. If the answer is "no" then there's no point worshipping the Amarr god because we don't actually need salvation.

If the answer is "yes" then the scenario we've just constructed is that the Amarr god supposedly created us in such a state that we are by default condemned to eternal post-mortem punishment and the only way to avoid this fate is to kiss his ass. In which case this god is not a benevolent savior of the damned, but a frakking monster who deserves nothing more from the human race than our best attempt at destroying him at the first available opportunity.

So, try again. Salvation from what? Try and come up with an answer that doesn't paint Amarr as either a waste of time, or cowardly submission to a tyrant.

AKA Hambone

Kelly Rabbit
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#85 - 2013-02-16 04:25:21 UTC
I have said my bit. I will step back and let those learned in theology and ministry explain to you about Salvation.

Stitcher
Caldari State
#86 - 2013-02-16 04:26:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitcher
in other words "I don't understand my own religion well enough to defend it from even the most lazy criticism, so I'm going to run away and pretend this conversation never happened".

If you're going to believe something, understand why you believe it, pilot.

AKA Hambone

Andreus Ixiris
Duty.
Stay Feral
#87 - 2013-02-16 04:32:26 UTC
Ah, yes. The "family attacked by conveniently unnamed group of Minmatar terrorists" anecdote. Sure haven't heard that one before.

Aldrith Shutaq wrote:
You seem to think that everything is so simple, Andreus. Just because I wear a PIE uniform I am no longer a decent person.

I can't be a member of Nobilta Nera and not believe in the Red God and the Exaltation of the Self. I can't be a member of True Slave Foundations and not believe in the Dream of Nation. I can't be a member of Mixed Metaphor and not believe in the principles of liberty and democracy.

You can't be a member of PIE and not believe in the supremacy and divine right of the Empire.

Aldrith Shutaq wrote:
Just because someone once wore a chain willingly they are sad and pitiful. Just because one nation enslaves another, the oppressed nation is made of saints.

Nothing is that simple Andreus, and your black-and-white vision is wearing extremely thin. We are not all brainwashed, sad little liars. And if we are, welcome to the club.

The funny thing is, Aldrith, that the Amarr are moral absolutists, and their loyalists - such as yourself - embrace moral relativism only when it suits their current argument. The Empire either is right, or will change its dogma so that it was right retroactively. Example: Jamyl is very clearly a clone - I mean, come on, let's face it, the Theology Council knows it, the Heirs know it, you know it, every Holder knows it, the vast majority of commoners know it, and for crying out loud, the entire cluster including several PIE members who were less than a hundred kilometres away saw her die - but no, we can't have an Empress who's a clone because Godflesh, so we'll pretend it was divine intervention. It's a farce, and it astounds me that not one single person in a position of power has yet had the spine to speak up about it.

You may claim you think it was wrong for the Amarr to enslave the Minmatar but honestly your opinion means less than nothing. The Amarr clearly don't agree with you and they've shown no interest in learning from past mistakes.

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Kelly Rabbit
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#88 - 2013-02-16 05:05:57 UTC
Pilot Stitcher, my faith is an issue that is for my priest and God. I am careful, watchful and respective. I will not engage in a public debate about my faith, or my religion. There are those that have been graced with the gift of oratory and wisdom that are better able to explain such things to you.

Stitcher
Caldari State
#89 - 2013-02-16 05:11:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitcher
I suspect you'll find that I understand the subject infinitely better than they do, which is why I consider it all to be nonsense.

The gift of oratory is open to anyone - it's a skill, it can be learned and rehearsed like any other.

It is my firm conviction that the particular kind of wisdom involved in this discussion, however, is forever beyond the grasp of a theologian. I'll not be so uncharitable as to deny them access to all wisdom - there's many different kinds of wisdom after all - but the faculties to successfully defend Amarr against the question "Salvation From What?" simply don't exist. The best anyone's ever managed to my knowledge was to redefine the word "salvation" to the point of meaninglessness.

You're refusing to engage for the same reason that a lone frigate is never going to take on a fleet of fifty Rapiers. You'd be leaping at the chance to have a public discussion about your faith if you could see an opening, or a flaw in my argument that you could exploit. You can't, so instead you're playing the modesty card and promising that somebody else will make me see the light, rather than trusting your own intelligence, which would lead you to wonder whether the reason you can't see such a flaw is because there are none.

You're a good little slave at least, I'll give you that much. The kind that the Empire doesn't need whips and Vitoc to control.

AKA Hambone

Alizabeth Vea
Doomheim
#90 - 2013-02-16 05:49:25 UTC
Crap, I'm agreeing with Stitcher.

Retainer of Lady Newelle and House Sarum.

"Those who step into the light shall be redeemed, the sins of their past cleansed, so that they may know salvation." -Empress Jamyl Sarum I

Virtue. Valor. Victory.

Simon Louvaki
Khaldari InnoTektoniks and Analytical Solutions
#91 - 2013-02-16 06:01:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Simon Louvaki
Stitcher wrote:

This is a yes or no question, by the way. If the answer is "no" then there's no point worshipping the Amarr god because we don't actually need salvation.

If the answer is "yes" then the scenario we've just constructed is that the Amarr god supposedly created us in such a state that we are by default condemned to eternal post-mortem punishment and the only way to avoid this fate is to kiss his ass. In which case this god is not a benevolent savior of the damned, but a frakking monster who deserves nothing more from the human race than our best attempt at destroying him at the first available opportunity.

So, try again. Salvation from what? Try and come up with an answer that doesn't paint Amarr as either a waste of time, or cowardly submission to a tyrant.

Stitcher-haan,

The answer is 'yes' but not because of the reason you constructed.

There is no 'post-mortem punishment', this simply does not exist in the Amarrian faith and I can't fathom why you thought so. There is no punishment, those who do not know God's grace simply fade into non-existence once they perish and their soul never knows the grace of God. The goal is not salvation from a form of 'hell' but transcendence from the mortal world in to the Kingdom of Heaven.

[REDACTED]

I would be happy to discuss the topic of faith with you personally if you wish to learn more.

Respectfully,

Simon Malkov Louvaki
Sengokuvaa Corporate HQ
Federal Administration Information Center
Office Complex 781, Tier V
Luminaire VII (Caldari Prime)

-- "The weak of mind are quick to judge with slightest tempt; Thus fools go forth to spread false word." - The Scriptures, Book of Trials 2:13 - 2:21

--"At the narrow passage, there is no brother and no friend." - Hyasyoda Proverb

Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#92 - 2013-02-16 06:47:27 UTC
Right Pilot Louvaki. And in order to be uplifted (hmm, don't the Sansha use that term as well?) one must be drugged, beaten, have ones cultural identity stripped, treated as less than animals and maybe, just maybe, after 9 generations of abuse some fat-assed Amarrian sitting atop a throne will judge one worthy of joining the Empire as a second-class citizen forever destined to serve the "True Amarr", is that about right? Let's ask the Ni-Kunni and the Eular how that worked out for them shall we?

No thanks. As the old saying goes I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. I don't believe in this vengeful god of yours nor this pie in the sky by and by when you die paradise you speak of. You're free to believe in it, of course, just quit trying to force the rest of us to believe at the point of a laser turret.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

Rodj Blake
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#93 - 2013-02-16 08:50:27 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:

You can't be a member of PIE and not believe in the supremacy and divine right of the Empire.

But there are many things that one can do with divine right and supremacy.

Dolce et decorum est pro Imperium mori

Rodj Blake
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#94 - 2013-02-16 08:55:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Rodj Blake
Anabella Rella wrote:
Right Pilot Louvaki. And in order to be uplifted (hmm, don't the Sansha use that term as well?) one must be drugged, beaten, have ones cultural identity stripped, treated as less than animals and maybe, just maybe, after 9 generations of abuse some fat-assed Amarrian sitting atop a throne will judge one worthy of joining the Empire as a second-class citizen forever destined to serve the "True Amarr", is that about right? Let's ask the Ni-Kunni and the Eular how that worked out for them shall we?

The Ealur are a simple people who accept that they are better off with Amarrian guidance. They are happy with their lot.

Many Ni-Kunni occupy positions of power within the Empire. Indeed, several PIE CEOs have been from that bloodline.

And since you're so keen to talk about non-Amarrian bloodlines in the Empire, let's talk about the Udorians, shall we? Once they were the lowliest of slaves, and yet now one of them is a heartbeat away from the Imperial throne.

Hardly second-class.
Anabella Rella wrote:

I don't believe in this vengeful god of yours nor this pie in the sky

You should both believe in and fear the PIE in the sky.

Dolce et decorum est pro Imperium mori

Sarok Zateki
Doomheim
#95 - 2013-02-16 09:15:29 UTC
this debt think is ridiculous!. Had it been the other way, the minmatar would have enslaved, colonized, assimilate...etc, the ammar.
there is the possibility they might have resolved their differences through dialog, but is doubtful.

The problem i believe comes from the perspective; of course is the ammar/minmatar perspective, but most importantly the enslaved perspective.

this creates a paradox , in wich both arguments are right, same rethoric, based on how long has been since the event and how much emotional "damage" they ve caused and the time line is drawn depending on how much people got stuck with the same idea based on the mentioned parameters, and if the idea is still functional at providing needs.

But what if ? it was you trying to enslave them, well you will have to tell them a story so that they may go take whatever it is you want with the less amount of expenses, after all if you tell them the truth they will want half of the bounty.

It seems that one fundamental difference between our species and "lesser" species is the ability to bullshit large quantities of members of our species to do certain things we wish them to do, and the fact that this ability grows with time.

we will just change the names,adjust the language and certain behaivours to accomodate current times political believes, juntas, tyrants, republics and monarchies will rise, and people will claim for democracy! not realising democracy has ruled them forever ( as long as you maintain the majority or the majority with acces to weapons on your side, you can name kings; presidents and congressess; juntas
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#96 - 2013-02-16 10:15:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Katran Luftschreck
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
Another outright lie. The Minmatar were a peaceful, spacefaring civilization that had colonised multiple star systems by the time you found them.

"In the distant past the clans constantly warred against each other."

Also: "The tribal community was ideally suited for nomads, but remarkably the Minmatar kept their strong tribal ties after urbanization began, even if some of its more strict aspects have declined in recent times, such as the stringent caste system and (for some of the tribes) acreage serfdom for farmers and workers."

Sound familiar? How about now?

History FAIL.

Andreus Ixiris wrote:
They've achieved in a single century what it took the Amarr millenia to accomplish, and they did it with their own hands, not upon the backs of legions of enslaved and abused servants.

Oh good grief. Check your facts sometime, would you? 18,622 AD to 21,413 AD isn't exactly "just over a century" - in fact it's well over two thousand years. And for seven hundred of years they were getting all the benefits of the same Amarrian technology that had so effortlessly conquered them before.

Basic Math FAIL.

Andreus Ixiris wrote:
What you fail to understand is that the Minmatar never asked for your help - in fact, they have many, many times requested that whatever your definition of "help" happens to be, you stop giving it. The Minmatar are entirely capable of acting in their own best interests, and don't require the Amarr to tell them what they are or how to achieve them.

I keep that in mind the next time you're listing "justifications" for refusing to give back Caldari Prime to it's rightful owners... like... right now, for instance.

Hypocrisy WIN.

Anabella Rella wrote:
Let's ask the Ni-Kunni and the Eular how that worked out for them shall we?.

Actually... yes, let's do exactly that! And it's spelled Ealur, oh ye of such great & sincere concern.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Lyn Farel
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#97 - 2013-02-16 11:37:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Lyn Farel
Andreus Ixiris wrote:

Another outright lie. The Minmatar were a peaceful, spacefaring civilization that had colonised multiple star systems by the time you found them.

[...]

They've built a nation spanning three very, very large interstellar regions and established a functioning society, educational system, transport infrastructure, research and development program and military-industrial complex essentially from whole cloth in just over a century. They're a legal, CONCORD-recognised national entity. They have the naval capability to inflict serious damage to those who threaten their sovereignty. They've achieved in a single century what it took the Amarr millenia to accomplish, and they did it with their own hands, not upon the backs of legions of enslaved and abused servants.

I am sorry, since I do not fundamentally disagree or agree with you here, that I find your answer to have several misconceptions or inaccuracies.

The Minmatar - like most civilizations - have never been a "peaceful civilization". Wars between Nefantars and Krusual, or between other tribes over the years, are direct historical witnesses of such feats.

The same way, comparing the progress and advancement done by two civilizations over the years basing it exclusively on the time it took them to achieve the same progress, is valid to the condition that they do it alone. The Republic is, as you say, a new entity that did not start at the stone age, like the Amarr or the Gallente did. Their current civilization was created with a technological and social advance similar to that of today. The comparison between the Amarr and the Gallente on the same criteria, however, could work better.

However, it does not mean that the feat from building all of this in a very short lifespan is not an achievement in itself.

Andreus Ixiris wrote:

But you can't make someone believe something.

Oh, they'll claim they believe it. They'll go through the motions of belief with such accuracy that you might be utterly convinced, but the reason they're doing this is so that you cease being coercive. Whether through perception, natural charisma or sheer bloody-minded trial and error, they'll discover what responses you want to receive and they'll give them. They may, indeed, actually believe, since constant physical and emotional abuse (and it's always one, the other or both - by the very nature of slavery, there is not a single slave/holder relationship that is not abusive) can cause enough psychological damage to cause defects in perception and reasoning. But you can't actually make that choice for them, even if your abuse leads them to question their beliefs, and you can't truly ever know what a person is actually thinking, so you can never know whether or not their professed belief is sincere.

The Amarr evidently do not grasp this fact, as the Minmatar Rebellion clearly came as a complete shock to them - one that they're still reeling from more than a century into the future.

The Amarr have not been always very efficient at cultural reprogramming. When it is true that making an adult - with all the education he got before and all his cutlural background - proves somewhat difficult, and it is not so hard that it may seem, turning their children to your own set of morals and education is extremely easy, since their malleable mind is still in a blank state.

It is also why most slaves tend to forget their cultural legacy after a few generations. Some do not, for the only reason that they continue to educate their children with their original beliefs and culture to counter the education provided by the master.

So yes, I would argue that you can make someone believe something, be it through brainwashing or just more subtle rhetorical ways.

Andreus Ixiris wrote:

When I look at Ammatar and the various pet races the Amarr keep around as second-class citizens I feel this kind of nauseous pity inside, like I'm watching a furrier with a cut in its tail, gnawing at it miserably and making hoarse noises of discomfort.

You do not know what you are talking about.

You might have said Ealur, I could have agreed. But the Mandate ? Not really.
Brother Ludwigus
#98 - 2013-02-16 12:04:08 UTC
Stitcher wrote:

If you expect discussion, you're going the wrong way about it. I shall not be going to the effort to explain such a concept to someone who plods into a conversation to sling insults at people.

"How shall I get people to be open and candid enough about their beliefs that I might gain a greater understanding of them? I shall insult them till I can insult no more!"

I hope that you continue to walk in darkness that you may be struck down by His wrath. It would bring me pleasure to watch you suffer following this display of arsery.

Soli Deo gloria.

Andreus Ixiris
Duty.
Stay Feral
#99 - 2013-02-16 12:15:09 UTC
Katran Luftschreck wrote:

"In the distant past the clans constantly warred against each other."

Also: "The tribal community was ideally suited for nomads, but remarkably the Minmatar kept their strong tribal ties after urbanization began, even if some of its more strict aspects have declined in recent times, such as the stringent caste system and (for some of the tribes) acreage serfdom for farmers and workers."

Sound familiar? How about now?

History FAIL.

You're either a pretty awful liar, or the abuse you've suffered left you severely mentally handicapped. I'm going to assume it was the later because at least your damaged-goods compatriot pilot Kernher was capable of basic reading comprehension, even if it only meant she had to be slightly more inventive with the lies she told. What I wrote to the self-aggrandizing genocide apologist was "the Minmatar were a peaceful spacefaring civilization by the time you found them." So the failure, as usual, is all on the shoulders of the brain-damaged Ammatar woman (that's you, by the way).

Oh good grief. Check your facts sometime, would you? 18,622 AD to 21,413 AD isn't exactly "just over a century" - in fact it's well over two thousand years. And for seven hundred of years they were getting all the benefits of the same Amarrian technology that had so effortlessly conquered them before.

Basic Math FAIL.

Again, you're either intentionally misinterpreting what I said, or you're brain damaged. The Minmatar Republic, post-rebellion, had to be built essentially from scratch because the Amarr had done their level best to destroy the Minmatar culture and any ability of the Minmatar peoples to survive without the Empire's support - fortunately for the entire cluster, they failed miserably, but it certainly did force the Minmatar tribes to improvise heavily once they gained their freedom. They rebuilt a society from old historical records and scraps - and they did a pretty impressive job of it. Again, the failure lies upon your brain-damaged shoulders, girl.

I keep that in mind the next time you're listing "justifications" for refusing to give back Caldari Prime to it's rightful owners... like... right now, for instance.

Hypocrisy WIN.

I do not advocate not returning Caldari Prime to the Caldari, but in point of fact, the Caldari gladly accepted the help of the ISC and the Cultural Deliverance Society at the time, mostly because it allowed them to accelerate the development of their society to compete with the (at the time) technologically superior Gallente. They were asked to join the Federation, and accepted, voluntarily.

Again, you've failed history. Try to be less brain damaged - there are various courses of therapy that can help with this.

Actually... yes, let's do exactly that! And it's spelled Ealur, oh ye of such great & sincere concern.

The vast majority of Ni-Kunni live in impoverished ghettos. The only real methods by which they can escape from this life is to risk their life in the Navy or sign on with a smuggler outfit and run contraband across the borders. The Ealur, meanwhile - whom I notice you don't actually discuss, instead transparently and desperately attempting to change the subject to that of Ms. Rella's misspelling - are considered barely human by some, subhuman by others. The Minmatar were enslaved, in fact, mostly because the Ealur were considered too stupid to handle particularly complex tasks, and the Amarr needed more intelligent workers.

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Valerie Valate
Church of The Crimson Saviour
#100 - 2013-02-16 12:40:57 UTC
You didn't answer the question that was asked of you, Ixiris.

Doctor V. Valate, Professor of Archaeology at Kaztropolis Imperial University.