These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Minmatar's great Debt to the Amarr Empire

First post
Author
Malcolm Khross
Doomheim
#21 - 2013-02-15 02:09:28 UTC
While I understand the point you are trying to make, Ludwigus, you are speaking outside of your element and from an outsider's justification standpoint.

My own personal feelings regarding the Empire's institution of slavery aside, there are a number of differences between employment and slavery as institutionalized between the Empire and the State. Furthermore, you will find that a great many Achura will not only vehemently oppose your assertion that they are exploited within the State but be able to prove so.

While it is true that the demands on corporate workers within the State can be rigorous and difficult, corporate employees are not bred for a specific purpose, are not deadlocked into a specific purpose and are not denied advancement (either vertical or horizontal) based on the expectations of a single Holder or overseer. There is a level of flexibility in choosing one's course and path, as well as the ability to change one's direction at one's own discretion that slaves within the Empire do not possess.

~Malcolm Khross

Kazzzi
Heathen Legion
Iron Men of the Hood
#22 - 2013-02-15 02:15:32 UTC
What the blond says is totally true.

As an Amarrian in excellent standing, I shall take it upon myself to serve as the official Imperial collection agent. On behalf of the Empire, I will accept all cash payments from minnies who wish to pay off their obligations. Now give me all of your iskies.
Alizabeth Vea
Doomheim
#23 - 2013-02-15 02:21:20 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD LackOfFaith
Kazzzi wrote:

As an Amarrian in excellent standing, I shall take it upon myself to serve as the official Imperial collection agent. On behalf of the Empire, I will accept all cash payments from minnies who wish to pay off their obligations. Now give me all of your iskies.

There is a standing order to beat anyone that says 'iskies' to death. Please report to {garbled} for sentence to be carried out.

Please check your router frequency. Part of your transmission was garbled nonsense. -- ISD LackOfFaith

Retainer of Lady Newelle and House Sarum.

"Those who step into the light shall be redeemed, the sins of their past cleansed, so that they may know salvation." -Empress Jamyl Sarum I

Virtue. Valor. Victory.

Grideris
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-02-15 02:42:27 UTC
Kazzzi wrote:

Kazzzi! We've missed you man. When are we getting regular reports on the state of the cluster again?

http://www.dust514.org - the unofficial forum for everything DUST 514 http://www.dust514base.com -** the** blog site with everything else DUST 514 you need

Brother Ludwigus
#25 - 2013-02-15 02:43:16 UTC
Malcolm Khross wrote:
While I understand the point you are trying to make, Ludwigus, you are speaking outside of your element and from an outsider's justification standpoint.

My own personal feelings regarding the Empire's institution of slavery aside, there are a number of differences between employment and slavery as institutionalized between the Empire and the State. Furthermore, you will find that a great many Achura will not only vehemently oppose your assertion that they are exploited within the State but be able to prove so.

While it is true that the demands on corporate workers within the State can be rigorous and difficult, corporate employees are not bred for a specific purpose, are not deadlocked into a specific purpose and are not denied advancement (either vertical or horizontal) based on the expectations of a single Holder or overseer. There is a level of flexibility in choosing one's course and path, as well as the ability to change one's direction at one's own discretion that slaves within the Empire do not possess.

I should accuse you of the same outsiders' view, Mr. Khross. You fail to take into account the slaves that prove themselves able. Some of our brightest academic and religious minds are drawn from the ranks of slaves. There are slaves with more education and freedom of movement than even some True Amarr by their own merit. I think your view of the slave-master relationship is very rigid and is tainted by Gallente propaganda.

But all the same, I am glad we could keep this civil and talk like adults rather than some of the usual mudslinging that hounds this topic. And I thank you and Ms. Scherezad for that.

Soli Deo gloria.

Malcolm Khross
Doomheim
#26 - 2013-02-15 03:00:19 UTC
Brother Ludwigus wrote:

I should accuse you of the same outsiders' view, Mr. Khross. You fail to take into account the slaves that prove themselves able. Some of our brightest academic and religious minds are drawn from the ranks of slaves. There are slaves with more education and freedom of movement than even some True Amarr by their own merit. I think your view of the slave-master relationship is very rigid and is tainted by Gallente propaganda.

You would be incorrect in a number of ways.

I never stated that my view wasn't an outsider's view for indeed it is. I did, however, share with you my understanding of things, which, by the way, has not been drawn from any Gallente propaganda and I would urge you to avoid suggesting so again. I've spoken many times with Amarrian Holders and asked many questions, I receive a few different answers and ascertain what I can from there.

Also understand that nothing I said was meant to be an assault on you or on the institution of slavery, I explicitly stated that I was leaving my personal opinions out of it. Nevertheless, you have both agreed and disagreed with my assertion pertaining to the differences between corporate employment in the State and slavery in the Empire. Namely that slaves must prove themselves able to their Holders if they have any hope of changing their positions, roles or destinies in life. Understand that this is not a pointing of the finger saying you are a horrible person, it is simply an observation.

~Malcolm Khross

Gwen Ikiryo
Alexylva Paradox
#27 - 2013-02-15 03:30:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Gwen Ikiryo
Brother Ludwigus wrote:
I've spent a great deal of time tending to the spiritual needs of slaves. They would have the same aggression to suggestions they're being exploited as you do. They are a beautiful and proud people when they realise their potential. But the fact remains that the Matari people are as exploited as the Jin-Mei or the Achura. Of course, less exploitation and a higher standard of living across the board would be nice I'm sure we all agree.

Speaking as a (Saisio raised) Achur, I cannot say I feel greatly "exploited" by the State, save for being sold a lot of quasi-shoddy SuVee products during the course of my upbringing. We are, for the most part, left alone, excepting those that do not wish to be.

In regard the slavery being akin to low level employment... Well, I could dispute your assertion in a very cold, logical manner - By pointing out that Slavery is much less efficient economically by the virtue of it's overbearing nature - But I'll go for the more obvious approach.

Your arguement is that being pushed into work by ones circumstances is literally no different then slavery. While you are correct that many unfortunate people don't have a great deal of practical choices that they could make comfortably, the difference is that they do still have those choices. For all the obligations of family, duty, honor, or a simple need to put food on the table might keep them there, they could still make the concious choice to throw caution to the wind and run off into the metaphorical woods. (Or the literal ones, I suppose.)

Of course, that will almost never happen, realistically, but that doesn't defeat the distinction. In fact, your definition of slavery would essentially make the term itself quite redundant. We are, in a sense, all held in bonds, of some kind or another.
Meriks Friggson
Moira.
#28 - 2013-02-15 05:15:07 UTC
This debt is easily settled. We shall pay you back with your preferred type of projectile munition fired from our local dealer's autocannons or artillery.
Meriks Friggson
Moira.
#29 - 2013-02-15 05:25:04 UTC
No refunds.
Non-Refundable.
Silas Vitalia
Doomheim
#30 - 2013-02-15 05:35:58 UTC
How did you lemmings manage to fill an obvious bait thread to two pages?

Wonders never cease.

Sabik now, Sabik forever

Valerie Valate
Church of The Crimson Saviour
#31 - 2013-02-15 06:28:15 UTC
BloodBird wrote:
Valerie Valate wrote:
When the Empire first encountered the Minmatar, they were confined to just three systems.
At the settlement of things over a hundred years ago, the Minmatar were no longer confined to just a handful of planets, instead, they were spread across the whole cluster.

Very nice, Blooder. Start a tread with an arrogant statement that will annoy and anger many, and that is, as a bonus, easily proven wrong.

Which of those Facts are you claiming to be wrong ?

That the Minmatar existed on a mere handful of planets ?

Or that they are spread across many planets ?

Doctor V. Valate, Professor of Archaeology at Kaztropolis Imperial University.

Valerie Valate
Church of The Crimson Saviour
#32 - 2013-02-15 06:29:07 UTC
Silas Vitalia wrote:
How did you lemmings manage to fill an obvious bait thread to two pages?

Oh that's easy. They're not Sani Sabik.

Quote:
Wonders never cease.

Quite.

Doctor V. Valate, Professor of Archaeology at Kaztropolis Imperial University.

ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#33 - 2013-02-15 07:40:37 UTC
Cleaned up a transmission that was not making much sense. Please try to keep your comm hardware in good working condition, or you may sound like you're referring to non-existent things, or you may simply make no sense at all.

OOC: Please post in-character and do not make RL references.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Alizabeth Vea
Doomheim
#34 - 2013-02-15 09:58:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Alizabeth Vea
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
Cleaned up a transmission that was not making much sense. Please try to keep your comm hardware in good working condition, or you may sound like you're referring to non-existent things, or you may simply make no sense at all.

OOC: Please post in-character and do not make RL references.

Dear ISD, in Null Sec, systems are commonly referred to by the first three letters/numbers of their designation. VFK-IV is simply VFK. CCP-US is simply CCP. EF-F36 is simply EF-. CCP-US was where I was at the time of post.

Yes, Goons own CCP.

I double checked my comms. Everything seems to transmitting five-five. Are you sure the problem was not on your end?

Retainer of Lady Newelle and House Sarum.

"Those who step into the light shall be redeemed, the sins of their past cleansed, so that they may know salvation." -Empress Jamyl Sarum I

Virtue. Valor. Victory.

Brother Ludwigus
#35 - 2013-02-15 11:47:11 UTC
Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

Speaking as a (Saisio raised) Achur, I cannot say I feel greatly "exploited" by the State, save for being sold a lot of quasi-shoddy SuVee products during the course of my upbringing. We are, for the most part, left alone, excepting those that do not wish to be.

In regard the slavery being akin to low level employment... Well, I could dispute your assertion in a very cold, logical manner - By pointing out that Slavery is much less efficient economically by the virtue of it's overbearing nature - But I'll go for the more obvious approach.

The slaves often get on quite alright when left alone to their work too. Just that, like the corporate employee, his work isn't to advance his own affairs, but his masters, and he is content to feel productive. Just like any other working relationship out there it need not be overbearing but people have a particularly mean holder in their head when they think of the institution of slavery. Galentean holoreels I guess.

Gwen Ikiryo wrote:

In fact, your definition of slavery would essentially make the term itself quite redundant. We are, in a sense, all held in bonds, of some kind or another.

Quite right! That is pretty close to what I'm getting at. Every culture has its beholden and its holders. You need them to attain the level of economic advancement we all have. The difference is in who makes up the underclass, that others look to their own kind for their toilers and we had the happy accident of wars with many prisoners.

Soli Deo gloria.

Seriphyn Inhonores
Elusenian Cooperative
#36 - 2013-02-15 12:20:44 UTC
A week ago, I posted an example of Gallentean slavery on this same IGS. Of course, because it contained an actual case study, rather than mere philosophical chin-wagging, no one was interested.

Pity.
Rodj Blake
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#37 - 2013-02-15 12:44:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Rodj Blake
What is now Republic territory largely consists of systems first colonised by the Empire.

I don't think that it's unreasonable for me to say that the Republic owes the Empire quite a bit of rent for all that real estate.

Dolce et decorum est pro Imperium mori

Vaari
Imperial Pharmacy
#38 - 2013-02-15 13:00:43 UTC
Takrow Matoris wrote:
You do realize that we were just at our infancy of space exploration right? If we were allowed time, we would have made our way across the cluster on our own. But then again, people like you thought by enslaving us and then tossing us around was much better then letting us develop ourselves on our own.

No we do not owe you a debt.

You were already leaving permanenty behind when you were subjucated. You would not have time to advance and colonize other worlds before there would not be space left to do so. Without the Imperial intervention to you would not be one of the major power you are today. Even strong pirate cartels would be stronger and would have more territory.

Fear the God and honor the Empress!

-House Valius battle shout.

Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#39 - 2013-02-15 13:14:15 UTC
Rodj Blake wrote:
What is now Republic territory largely consists of systems first colonised by the Empire.

I don't think that it's unreasonable for me to say that the Republic owes the Empire quite a bit of rent for all that real estate.

Don't hold your breath. They can't even clothe their populace.

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Andreus Ixiris
Duty.
Stay Feral
#40 - 2013-02-15 14:11:38 UTC
Rodj Blake wrote:

The Minmatar are excellent at paying rent!

They just pay it in depeleted uranium. At high speed.

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.