These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Does anyone think the male portraits turn out so much better than the female ones?

First post
Author
Robin Manly
Doomheim
#101 - 2013-02-11 23:41:38 UTC
This is actually a female character?!? I keep this alt for fun, and to prove how extreme the character creator can be with female designs. All the guys on the other hand are clearly guys.
Kathern Aurilen
#102 - 2013-02-11 23:59:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Kathern Aurilen
I kinda like how mine turned out except the lil kitty face from the shadows. I need to go back and adjust the eyes a lil

No cuts, no butts, no coconuts!

Forum alt, unskilled in the ways of pewpew!

CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#103 - 2013-02-12 00:37:24 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP karkur
Molinator Agnon wrote:
CCP karkur wrote:
Have you guys seen this website?

so many great male and female portrait Big smile

male... female... and other

he is sooo good! Smile It used to mess with my head that he's just like ET but his bio suggested that it was supposed to be Gollum but his name suggested ET What? but his bio has been changed now

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

Apoc Baltar
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#104 - 2013-02-12 01:14:55 UTC
Males need a good faux-hawk so I can frat boy it up like a boss

Popped collar shirts would be appreciated too
Annette Nolen
Perkone
Caldari State
#105 - 2013-02-12 01:15:41 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
So, in short, the character creator lacks the abbility to move the lips themselves and this is why you will never see a true smiling face in EVE's character creator.

You can come pretty close to a genuine smile by opening the mouth. It only works from some angles, though.
Sol Weinstein
Lunatic Warfare Federation
#106 - 2013-02-12 03:08:17 UTC
Men roll out of bed looking good.

Women need tons of make-up and other bells and whistles.

Seems a perfect emulation of reality if you ask me.

Thank you.
Angelique Duchemin
Team Evil
#107 - 2013-02-12 03:11:13 UTC
Sol Weinstein wrote:
Men roll out of bed looking good.

Women need tons of make-up and other bells and whistles.

Seems a perfect emulation of reality if you ask me.

Thank you.

You have obviously never seen "days of our lives"

Women roll out of bed looking perfect.

The very sun of heaven seemed distorted when viewed through the polarising miasma welling out from this sea-soaked perversion, and twisted menace and suspense lurked leeringly in those crazily elusive angles of carven rock where a second glance shewed concavity after the first shewed convexity.

Nienna Fael
Karvanen Nalle Corporation
#108 - 2013-02-12 10:20:14 UTC
I suppose this came out as acceptable.
Dominara Shadowfey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#109 - 2013-02-12 11:50:16 UTC
I agree, it is easier to get a good looking male character. It a combo of less variety and everyone choosing the same race I think, I'm sick of seeing "generic caldari male" everywhere - even in Gallente Militia. Some of the none caldari in this thread look quite cool - men have less emphasis on "pretty" and more on "character" which helps too.

Most female characters I see are fairly ugly, I think that's because men don't know how to apply makup. To get around this I just put a screenshot of my WoW character next to EVE character creator and copied it - so maybe in future you guys could try finding a nice source photo to copy to give you ideas of what a good character looks like.
Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#110 - 2013-02-12 12:17:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitcher
The trick to avoiding the uncanny valley is to muck around with the skin features - tone, freckles, stuff like that. Real people don't have perfectly monotone skin. the forehead's generally paler, the cheeks are generally redder and the beard region is typically bluer.

Oh, and for male characters remember that in most men, beard hair is slightly more to the red than their scalp hair.

One request to CCP though - can we please get some body hair? I'm tired of my manly hirsute bearded chin guy having a chest and forearms that are as hairless as those of a Japanese pre-teen pop star.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#111 - 2013-02-12 12:43:15 UTC
I can confirm that my avatar is very handsome.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

Celeste Taylor
Ruby Dynasty
#112 - 2013-02-12 14:13:05 UTC
Arline Kley wrote:
like the sad sod that I am, i generally change my portrait every couple of months...

And i tend to spend a good 30 minutes just choosing the pose before i think about lighting effects..

I am surprised that most people don't change their portraits regularly. I think it is great when people do. I think I have resculpted this character 5 or 6 times since December with the most recent two basically toggling freckles on and off . I think my character's facial geometry changed a bit in the first two resculpts, but the changes in structure have now settled to my tastes. The results are a freakishly long nose, no brow ridge, deep, wide and high set eyes, non-existent cheekbones or cheeks, tiny jawline, very small ears, and a too wide mouth with a slight overbight over a pointed chin. Not traditional model "good looks" but my personal idea of perfection.

If you are having a hard time tweaking your character with a resculpt try this trick. Knock yourself out and experiment with the sliders in the character creator. Then when you are done click on the furthest left box on the "timeline" bar and go to the portrait screen. Hit print screen to get a screenshot. Go back to the the character creator screen and hit the furthest right box on the timeline. Go back to the portrait screen and take another screen shot. Reposition your character and repeat the above steps. When you are done and viewing the images as a slide show you will get very accurate before and after comparisons that will have the exact same pose (especially if you take the screenshot as soon as the portrait loads) and lighting. I have had some minor issues with this technique when the history bar is full, so I tend to first save a non-resculpt specific portrait for hair, clothes and makeup. This can be time consuming, but the end result should get you your perfect character.

I love seeing the wide range of avatars out there and want to see people achieve their ideals since the character creator can design punk, goth, glam, emo, and more.

One last tip is to crank up the brightness when taking a portrait since this will make your character's eyes, teeth and hair glow. This can be an issue if you have a skin tone lighter than the 4:00 position (the current setting for this avatar) but works great on anything darker. I think I will switch to the 7:00 Gallente skin tone setting later this month.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#113 - 2013-02-12 14:46:30 UTC
Annette Nolen wrote:
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
So, in short, the character creator lacks the abbility to move the lips themselves and this is why you will never see a true smiling face in EVE's character creator.

You can come pretty close to a genuine smile by opening the mouth. It only works from some angles, though.

Yet, your left lip corner (the one to the right of the portrait) is asymmetrical with the right one -that's an old bug AFAIK- and the abbility to fake a smile will depend a lot upon the base geometry and how you use the mouth trimmers.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#114 - 2013-02-12 14:57:27 UTC
Celeste Taylor wrote:
Arline Kley wrote:
like the sad sod that I am, i generally change my portrait every couple of months...

And i tend to spend a good 30 minutes just choosing the pose before i think about lighting effects..

I am surprised that most people don't change their portraits regularly. I think it is great when people do. I think I have resculpted this character 5 or 6 times since December with the most recent two basically toggling freckles on and off . I think my character's facial geometry changed a bit in the first two resculpts, but the changes in structure have now settled to my tastes. The results are a freakishly long nose, no brow ridge, deep, wide and high set eyes, non-existent cheekbones or cheeks, tiny jawline, very small ears, and a too wide mouth with a slight overbight over a pointed chin. Not traditional model "good looks" but my personal idea of perfection.

If you are having a hard time tweaking your character with a resculpt try this trick. Knock yourself out and experiment with the sliders in the character creator. Then when you are done click on the furthest left box on the "timeline" bar and go to the portrait screen. Hit print screen to get a screenshot. Go back to the the character creator screen and hit the furthest right box on the timeline. Go back to the portrait screen and take another screen shot. Reposition your character and repeat the above steps. When you are done and viewing the images as a slide show you will get very accurate before and after comparisons that will have the exact same pose (especially if you take the screenshot as soon as the portrait loads) and lighting. I have had some minor issues with this technique when the history bar is full, so I tend to first save a non-resculpt specific portrait for hair, clothes and makeup. This can be time consuming, but the end result should get you your perfect character.

I love seeing the wide range of avatars out there and want to see people achieve their ideals since the character creator can design punk, goth, glam, emo, and more.

One last tip is to crank up the brightness when taking a portrait since this will make your character's eyes, teeth and hair glow. This can be an issue if you have a skin tone lighter than the 4:00 position (the current setting for this avatar) but works great on anything darker. I think I will switch to the 7:00 Gallente skin tone setting later this month.

Houm, lighting is a delicate issue. To start it interacts dfferently with each skin tone and its natural shades. FAI, Ishtanchuk has got a one of the old skin types (a reddish one which was gone from the new palette) and it works better with medium to low lighting as her cheeks are naturally tan and look "too maked up" with full lighting; whereas my alt has got a fairer skin and she looks very good with full lighting to make her "shinier". But then, lighting also must match the background and also every light source will cast different shadow patterns and will change how the body and face are lit... and all is more critical with more light than with fewer.

So I would not suggest to pump up the lighting unless you're aware on how it will impact on the whole portrait -and IMHO, your protraits are overlit. Blink

Angelique Duchemin
Team Evil
#115 - 2013-02-12 20:44:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Angelique Duchemin
I'm starting to suspect that the jawline and chin plays an important part in it. Only a fraction of the available jawlines and chins on the female model suit a female so a lot of randomly generated portraits can fall on that.

The very sun of heaven seemed distorted when viewed through the polarising miasma welling out from this sea-soaked perversion, and twisted menace and suspense lurked leeringly in those crazily elusive angles of carven rock where a second glance shewed concavity after the first shewed convexity.

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#116 - 2013-02-12 21:16:54 UTC
Dominara Shadowfey wrote:
Most female characters I see are fairly ugly, I think that's because men don't know how to apply makup.

i totally agree. lol

i've seen any number of wretched examples.
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#117 - 2013-02-12 21:25:53 UTC
Female avatars have the double-edged sword of makeup: They can be far more customized then men are on that basis alone, but makeup is an art form, and in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it it can look freakish.

The main thing I've noticed is that a lot of female avatars are done by men to have secondary sexual characteristics that are exaggerated to the point of caricature. I don't just mean boobs, either, but lips and pop-eyes. The main problem I've run into with female avatars is that if you pick a young age and get the light wrong, the smooth skin looks plasticky. Hair can look the same way.

As far as I've noticed, the sleaze component in men comes from the hair options, especially the mustaches, combined with the fake smiles. The aviators don't really help.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#118 - 2013-02-12 21:41:01 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Dominara Shadowfey wrote:
Most female characters I see are fairly ugly, I think that's because men don't know how to apply makup.

i totally agree. lol

i've seen any number of wretched examples.

The funny thing is how, at certain point, you must either choose to not make up your characters, or actually start reading on make up techniques and tips...

...and thx god i'm old enough to not doubt about my inclination just because I bothered to learn more making-up tips than I could imagine that existed. Lol

(At some point, i would had asked to get make up foundation for our characters... but just asking to get plum/violet hues was odd enough).

Sakura Nihil
Faded Light
#119 - 2013-02-12 23:35:58 UTC
Angelique Duchemin wrote:
I'm starting to suspect that the jawline and chin plays an important part in it. Only a fraction of the available jawlines and chins on the female model suit a female so a lot of randomly generated portraits can fall on that.

Civire jawlines - ours can cut glass.
Callie Cross
Tax Code
#120 - 2013-02-13 03:35:59 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Have you guys seen this website?

so many great male and female portrait Big smile

ohhhhh!!!