These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Does anyone think the male portraits turn out so much better than the female ones?

First post
Author
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#61 - 2013-02-10 21:10:59 UTC
i want an amarr hood for gallente females.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#62 - 2013-02-10 21:33:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaerah Vahrokha
I know this might be a bit tangential to the topic but I want to ask anyway.

I want to learn to make a better and more realistic pose / expression for my character, are there any docs / links / guides about how to?

Edit: in example, I found the "rule of 3" docs, are there more, i.e. for the lighting and so on? I have expecially issues posing eyebrows or to make a more smiling mouth (it ends up just silly looking, I want it a bit more winking).
Niffa
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#63 - 2013-02-10 22:07:32 UTC
I'm gorgeous Big smile
Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#64 - 2013-02-10 22:11:54 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:

good call
robes rule
Mia Kor Vernen
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#65 - 2013-02-10 22:56:40 UTC
I tried a "though independent woman" look and the end result I think is was more "boyish" than actually attractive.

I didn't help that I know nothing about make up.

Agustice Arterius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#66 - 2013-02-10 23:01:19 UTC
Angelique Duchemin wrote:
I mean when you hit the "randomize all" button on the male models you get a smoking hotie with nearly every single click. But then when you design a female character you end up right in the uncanny valley and you have to work quite hard to make one that looks believable.

I feel like it's the opposite.

But maybe that's because I'm a heterosexual male....
Mia Kor Vernen
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#67 - 2013-02-10 23:07:48 UTC
Agustice Arterius wrote:
I mean when you hit the "randomize all" button on the male models you get a smoking hotie with nearly every single click. But then when you design a female character you end up right in the uncanny valley and you have to work quite hard to make one that looks believable.

Or just a horny teenager, or maybe a neckbeard in a basement...

So many options...
Agustice Arterius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#68 - 2013-02-10 23:18:58 UTC
Mia Kor Vernen wrote:
Agustice Arterius wrote:

Or just a horny teenager, or maybe a neckbeard in a basement...

Wouldn't those still make me a heterosexual male?
Nexus Day
Lustrevik Trade and Travel Bureau
#69 - 2013-02-11 00:01:13 UTC
Aria Ta'Rohk wrote:
Now see, I learned about th boob slider AFTER my character was done Roll

Luckily you discovered shadowing.
Mia Kor Vernen
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#70 - 2013-02-11 00:01:41 UTC
If you are saying that all heterosexual males should feel attracted to all females, no.

Does that apply to all females as well? Should they feel attracted to all males as well?
Thorrahrafn
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2013-02-11 00:08:41 UTC
Mia Kor Vernen wrote:
I tried a "though independent woman" look and the end result I think is was more "boyish" than actually attractive.

I didn't help that I know nothing about make up.

Dear sweet gods.

Boyish would be an improvement. That is straight up "man-ish". :(
Charles the Miner
Amarr Empire
#72 - 2013-02-11 00:08:49 UTC
Green makes your eyes pop, male or female.
Sara Adoulin
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#73 - 2013-02-11 05:02:59 UTC
My face was random....Actually, I don't think I touched it at all, I didn't even hit random, and I think I turned out at-least somewhat pretty/believable.

Pretty sure I've seen equally bad males and females.
Texty
State War Academy
Caldari State
#74 - 2013-02-11 05:10:47 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Have you guys seen this website?

so many great male and female portrait Big smile

I took a look and sure great portraits, but also made me realize that we need more variations for hair styles.
Angelique Duchemin
Team Evil
#75 - 2013-02-11 05:34:00 UTC
Bossy Lady wrote:
Oh look a real person

Mostly anyway *taps eye*

Texty wrote:
CCP karkur wrote:
Have you guys seen this website?

so many great male and female portrait Big smile

I took a look and sure great portraits, but also made me realize that we need more variations for hair styles.

I agree. There's a hairstyle where the bangs cover both eyes which just looks ridiculous. One bang over one eye can look nice. Veronica Lake showed that but both eyes?

The very sun of heaven seemed distorted when viewed through the polarising miasma welling out from this sea-soaked perversion, and twisted menace and suspense lurked leeringly in those crazily elusive angles of carven rock where a second glance shewed concavity after the first shewed convexity.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#76 - 2013-02-11 07:55:10 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
I know this might be a bit tangential to the topic but I want to ask anyway.

I want to learn to make a better and more realistic pose / expression for my character, are there any docs / links / guides about how to?

Edit: in example, I found the "rule of 3" docs, are there more, i.e. for the lighting and so on? I have expecially issues posing eyebrows or to make a more smiling mouth (it ends up just silly looking, I want it a bit more winking).

Well, the eyebrows are a nightmare to pose as they have a massive impact on expression and you never can tell how the slightest move is going to look. My only advice wuld be: sav the protrait before moving the eyebrows. I've lost many portraits by moving the eyebrows, as they NEVER go back to where they used to be unless you saved the protrait.

As for the smiling mouth, it's a well known handicap of the creator. Human beings have a set of muscles that allow us to pull and push the lips so we can show the teeth or suck things, whereas the creator only simulates the muscles that pull the lip corners. Look at yourself at the mirror and try to smile just pulling the lip corners, without actually moving the lips, and you will be amazed at how ******** that looks.

So, in short, the character creator lacks the abbility to move the lips themselves and this is why you will never see a true smiling face in EVE's character creator.

Another well known issue are squint eyes, which are caused by how the creator simulates eye movement. It keeps the visual axis parallel on spherical eyeballs, but regretfully our eyeballs are not spherical and anyway we judge pupil position relative to the edges of the eyes and not the geometrical centre of the eyeball. An easy fix would be to allow to move each eye individually (albeit that would end up with endless derpy-eyed capsuleers), or move the pupils relative to the visible surface of the eyeball.

That's theoretical, of course, as avatars are a non-issue and no work is expected on them. Sad

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Kehro Urgus
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#77 - 2013-02-11 07:56:16 UTC
Aria Ta'Rohk wrote:
Now see, I learned about th boob slider AFTER my character was done Roll

There is no man package slider. More sexism from CCP. Straight

Yeeee! 

Bronto Scorpio
#78 - 2013-02-11 07:56:39 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:

This
Sasha Khaine
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#79 - 2013-02-11 09:43:08 UTC
No, I like my portrait!

[center]"The entire British empire was built on cups of tea... and if you think I'm going to war without one mate. You're mistaken."[/center]

Morgan North
Dark-Rising
Wrecking Machine.
#80 - 2013-02-11 10:09:11 UTC
i like mine, took around 30 minutes of playing with the shadows to get it right.