These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: The great ship skill change of summer 2013

First post First post
Author
Urgg Boolean
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1041 - 2013-04-16 02:23:29 UTC
Lord KesH wrote:
So being confused of nature, I will ask here.

I have Destroyers and BC skills to V already.

What do I need to get maximum out of this change?

Will I need all Frigs and Cruisers to V or will less do?

Sorry for being confused :)

Just get all racial Cruisers to lvl 3 (including whatever frig pre reqs) and you will max benefit from changes to those trees.

There are many more changes. Command ships is one of them. You sort of need to review all the changes to see what changes affect your own skill set / fleet / armada.
Lord KesH
Incarnation of Evil
Transgress
#1042 - 2013-04-16 02:35:37 UTC
Urgg Boolean wrote:
Lord KesH wrote:
So being confused of nature, I will ask here.

I have Destroyers and BC skills to V already.

What do I need to get maximum out of this change?

Will I need all Frigs and Cruisers to V or will less do?

Sorry for being confused :)

Just get all racial Cruisers to lvl 3 (including whatever frig pre reqs) and you will max benefit from changes to those trees.

There are many more changes. Command ships is one of them. You sort of need to review all the changes to see what changes affect your own skill set / fleet / armada.

Thank you for clearing that up. :)

Ill look into command ships as well, thou I already have that skill to 5 :)
Major Trant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1043 - 2013-04-17 12:58:22 UTC
I can't understand the rational with making all T1 Industrial ships only require, racial Industrial I (pre-reg Spaceship Command III only). I can kinda understand the removal of the racial Frigate III prereq. But dropping them all down to racial Industrial I as well?

After the patch why would anyone train anything other than Gallente Industrial I and then fly an Iteron V? Aside from the fact that they are prereqs for the T2 Industrials and Freighters and the vets that have already invested in the skills and ships. Any player who trains and gets into any other T1 Industrial now, will do so purely because they haven't understood the changes.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#1044 - 2013-04-17 13:03:11 UTC
Major Trant wrote:
I can't understand the rational with making all T1 Industrial ships only require, racial Industrial I (pre-reg Spaceship Command III only). I can kinda understand the removal of the racial Frigate III prereq. But dropping them all down to racial Industrial I as well?

After the patch why would anyone train anything other than Gallente Industrial I and then fly an Iteron V? Aside from the fact that they are prereqs for the T2 Industrials and Freighters and the vets that have already invested in the skills and ships. Any player who trains and gets into any other T1 Industrial now, will do so purely because they haven't understood the changes.

Right up to the point the ships get rebalanced.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Major Trant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1045 - 2013-04-17 13:28:13 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Major Trant wrote:

Well props for bringing that up, something I hadn't considered. But how do you balance 12 Industrial ships? There are only 2 stats that matter for them, cargo size and align time. People will max one or the other, not go for a compromise of the two. So two ships will be useful after the patch and the rebalance of them.

Currently skill training time is a huge factor in the choice and thus the viability of each ship.
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#1046 - 2013-04-17 13:30:12 UTC
Major Trant wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Major Trant wrote:

Well props for bringing that up, something I hadn't considered. But how do you balance 12 Industrial ships? There are only 2 stats that matter for them, cargo size and align time. People will max one or the other, not go for a compromise of the two. So two ships will be useful after the patch and the rebalance of them.

Currently skill training time is a huge factor in the choice and thus the viability of each ship.

In the same way as mining ships and other tiericeded classes - some will have more tank, some more cargo, some more agile etc.

Major Trant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1047 - 2013-04-17 14:11:53 UTC
Roime wrote:
In the same way as mining ships and other tiericeded classes - some will have more tank, some more cargo, some more agile etc.

Last I heard, there were only 3 mining barges and a clear conflicting need to choose between survivability or ore hold, with a viable compromise of the two, but I'm no miner.

There are 12 Industrial ships all filling the same basic need and the only real choices are max cargohold or max GTFO. This is a vital early ship for a new player and shows one of the depth of the game. That research and intelligent selection, rewards in the long run. CCP have just dumbed it all down. Are they going to scrap the current 12 industrials and replace them with 2 or 3 ORE Industrials?
Alexis Cornell
287 Marine Regiment
#1048 - 2013-04-17 14:26:56 UTC
One of my characters currently has 889,000 SP. He scouts, lights cynos, sits cloaked observing things and ferries new Frigates and Dessies into low sec for my main. Regularly he gets podded, but I don't have to worry about upgrading my clone and paying for clone insurance.

He has all the racial frigates at III and Dessies at II, after the patch he is going to get several thousand extra SP, which will push him over the 900K SP limit for basic clones.

I don't want them. I want to keep the ability to be podded without having to upgrade my clone. I would be happy to drop Dessie II, but don't have the choice. Can I get that choice or can CCP raise the basic Medical clone SP level by say 100K please.
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#1049 - 2013-04-18 11:27:35 UTC
Hey, here's an easy solution for your game-breaking disposable cyno alt:

don't upgrade the clone and you will get rid of SP

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#1050 - 2013-04-18 11:33:53 UTC
Major Trant wrote:
Roime wrote:

Last I heard, there were only 3 mining barges and a clear conflicting need to choose between survivability or ore hold, with a viable compromise of the two, but I'm no miner.

There are 12 Industrial ships all filling the same basic need and the only real choices are max cargohold or max GTFO. This is a vital early ship for a new player and shows one of the depth of the game. That research and intelligent selection, rewards in the long run. CCP have just dumbed it all down. Are they going to scrap the current 12 industrials and replace them with 2 or 3 ORE Industrials?

There are 7 mining ships with different qualities, some better suited to different tasks than others. Earlier there where no such differences, some were just plain better than others.

Same happened with T1 frigs and cruisers- earlier some ships were just terribleler variations of the same ship, now they all have different strenghts.

I suspect CCP will give indies the same treatment- some will have better GTFO potential, others cargo, others slot layout suitable for null/whs, some will have more tank. These changes will probably be very radical, and for example Gallente might lose a few Itties.

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#1051 - 2013-04-18 12:15:10 UTC
Wouldn't surprise me to see an Indy with an Ore hold. Or possibly one allowing for refits.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#1052 - 2013-04-18 14:28:46 UTC
Major Trant wrote:

Maybe for the same reason people train battlecruisers past level 2: Because you still get the 2 per-level bonuses from the hull?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Jack Ogeko
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1053 - 2013-04-24 18:05:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Jack Ogeko
Hi
What with pirate ships? You have not mention them. You treat them as navy or you don't change their skills requairment?
Almoust All ships have now lower skill requairments, pirate ships are smilar to navy ships with requairments. All navy go lower with requirments, but pirate frigates still need two faction frigat skill at level 3, do you lower this to faction frigats skill at level 2 or 1? smilar question to pirate cruisers, they need two faction frigate at level 4 and two faction cruisers at level 2, do you lower this to faction frigats to level 3 and cruisers no change or to level 1? and the same question to battle ships they need two faction frigate skill level 4, two facion cruiser skill at level 4 and two facion battleship alt level 1, question do you change this to two faction frigate level 3, cruiser level 3 and battleship level 1?
Alexis Cornell
287 Marine Regiment
#1054 - 2013-04-25 16:00:34 UTC
Roime wrote:
Hey, here's an easy solution for your game-breaking disposable cyno alt:

don't upgrade the clone and you will get rid of SP

Except I believe I will lose a level of either Cynosural Field Theory skill or Electronics V. Skills that I don't want to lose, give me the ability to choose what skills I lose or extend the pool to cover this eventually.

I planned my alt's skill train specifically to stay under the 900K cap, Destroyers II wasn't a necessity but I had the room to fit it in at the time. Now I'm having extra SP forced on me that I didn't ask for and don't want and clearly this problem wasn't foreseen by CCP.
Nakamata
Mostly Snuggly
#1055 - 2013-04-28 06:40:22 UTC
So if i dont have say galente frig/cruiser to 3 do i get the unallocated skill points ? or what?
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#1056 - 2013-04-28 14:17:05 UTC
Nakamata wrote:
So if i dont have say galente frig/cruiser to 3 do i get the unallocated skill points ? or what?

No, you have to have NO frig/cruiser to 3.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

HybridOnslaught
New Eden Outcasts
#1057 - 2013-04-29 19:25:46 UTC
This may have been asked but us that wasted time training mining barge to fly an Orca will there be any thing done for that. because its 1mil of wasted sp that could be better used.
Chris Winter
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#1058 - 2013-04-29 19:31:57 UTC
HybridOnslaught wrote:
This may have been asked but us that wasted time training mining barge to fly an Orca will there be any thing done for that. because its 1mil of wasted sp that could be better used.

It's not wasted. You can fly mining barges still.

The fact that you chose to train a skill you didn't want isn't CCP's fault.
Zae-Yun Stekahl
Elder Guard Industries
#1059 - 2013-05-01 14:46:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Zae-Yun Stekahl
i agree with the initiative to make the prerequisites of ships more relevant to the ship themselves. I have noticed that this has drastically changed some of the ship training times. I do agree with most of them, but I feel that drop on the ORCA is to great. I would suggest making Leadership 5 a requirement to fly the ship, as you need it to use the mining foreman links. I personally don't see why you'd want to train for one and not use the foreman links.

Either that or remove the mining director prerequisite, and I don't really feel like that't the right solution. I don't really see why you need to train mining director(which gives no boosts on it's own) but not leadership 5, which is needed to make mining director useful.

NOTE: If this has already been posted, count this as support for the motion.

EDIT: To the above post. It to an extent is. They could have chosen not to train it, but they NEEDED to, whether they liked it or not, to fly the ORCA. I personally wouldn't mind it to much, just because you can't mine in an ORCA (would be cool though).
MoX Philo Magistus
#1060 - 2013-05-03 12:23:49 UTC
As for
Quote:
If, for some odd reason, you have Destroyers and/or Battlecruisers skills, but have no Racial Frigate/Cruiser 3 at all, then the skill points will be moved in the free allocation pool when the old skills are removed.

What skills are moved to free allocation pool come june 4th? Current, before patch dessi/bc skill points I already put in, or after patch racial dessie/bc SP. No, I cant fly neither ship types.