These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Xander Phoena Sessions - CSM 8 Candidate Interviews

Author
Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2013-02-18 16:50:36 UTC
Ripard Teg wrote:
Xander Phoena wrote:
Time for the fifteenth interview. This time we have the blogger from Jester's Trek himself - Ripard Teg

http://c-z.me/csm8ripardteg

I'd like to commend Xander on an excellent interview. He came to it informed and prepared, asked tough but fair questions, and did an overall terrific job. He's probably the best interviewer on EVE topics that I've encountered so far.

Well done!

Thank you very much Ripard. Was great to chat to you both during and after the interview. Very best of luck for the campaign.

www.crossingzebras.com

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#42 - 2013-02-18 21:45:34 UTC
Thanks for doing these, Xander. They've been illuminating. You don't mince words or pull punches. I like that.

And, as a Yank, I like the way you pronounce 'zebras'.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Nathan Jameson
Grumpy Bastards
#43 - 2013-02-18 21:47:56 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
And, as a Yank, I like the way you pronounce 'zebras'.

As a Yank, I like the way he pronounces all the things.

http://www.wormholes.info

Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2013-02-19 00:02:53 UTC
The sixteenth interview is now live. This time we have hater of high sec, James 315

http://c-z.me/csm8james315

www.crossingzebras.com

Kainotomiu Ronuken
koahisquad
#45 - 2013-02-19 15:58:42 UTC
Xander Phoena wrote:
This time we have hater of high sec, James 315

I think that this quote pretty much sums up Xander's interview with James. While most of the CSM8 interviews have been great, Xander came into this one with preconceptions about James' platform that made the whole interview seem as if Xander was more focused on portraying James as a troll or a nutcase than on examining and understanding James' viewpoints and platform.

Does James hate highsec? No. Has James stated that he does not hate highsec many times, both on minerbumping.com and during Xander's interview? Yes. Does Xander still stick to preconceived notions about James? Yeeeah. This is characteristic of the whole interview and that disappointed me a bit.
Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#46 - 2013-02-19 16:26:13 UTC
Kainotomiu Ronuken wrote:
Xander Phoena wrote:
This time we have hater of high sec, James 315

I think that this quote pretty much sums up Xander's interview with James. While most of the CSM8 interviews have been great, Xander came into this one with preconceptions about James' platform that made the whole interview seem as if Xander was more focused on portraying James as a troll or a nutcase than on examining and understanding James' viewpoints and platform.

Does James hate highsec? No. Has James stated that he does not hate highsec many times, both on minerbumping.com and during Xander's interview? Yes. Does Xander still stick to preconceived notions about James? Yeeeah. This is characteristic of the whole interview and that disappointed me a bit.

Couple of things. Firstly, the tongue was firmly in cheek when I wrote that one-liner at midnight last night as a very mini intro to James' interview. Secondly, are you an alt of Poe? You have virtually word-for-word C&Ped what he said to me on twitter earlier today :)

Look, go to James' blog (minerbumping.com) and have a look around. Take a good hard look at the likes of the About page. Did I have preconceptions of what James was based on the research I had done on him? You're damned right I did. And it would appear an awful lot of others felt the same way from the emails I received regarding James 315 before I did this interview. As for him not stating he hates highsec? Well he says he doesn't but all of his actions state otherwise. For me, actions speak louder than words.

I'm sorry you (and Poe) didn't enjoy the interview. What makes me pleased is the vast majority of people, including James himself and the rest of the NWO camp, appear to have appreciated the tough questioning which allowed James to clear the air regarding the troll thing and his platform. You can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time I guess.

www.crossingzebras.com

Kainotomiu Ronuken
koahisquad
#47 - 2013-02-19 16:42:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Kainotomiu Ronuken
Xander Phoena wrote:
Firstly, the tongue was firmly in cheek when I wrote that one-liner at midnight last night as a very mini intro to James' interview.

It must have been difficult to conduct an entire interview with your tongue stuck that firmly in your cheek Roll

Xander Phoena wrote:
Secondly, are you an alt of Poe? You have virtually word-for-word C&Ped what he said to me on twitter earlier today :)

I'm not, and I don't follow twitter at all. I did know that Poetic shared my views from reading his blog post this morning, though.

Xander Phoena wrote:
Look, go to James' blog (minerbumping.com) and have a look around. Take a good hard look at the likes of the About page. Did I have preconceptions of what James was based on the research I had done on him? You're damned right I did. And it would appear an awful lot of others felt the same way from the emails I received regarding James 315 before I did this interview. As for him not stating he hates highsec? Well he says he doesn't but all of his actions state otherwise. For me, actions speak louder than words.

I can agree that actions speak louder than words, but none of James' actions show that he hates highsec - rather they show that he hates the ISK-for-nothing, entitled attitude of carebears and themeparkers in highsec. If we define highsec as a place for that attitude and those people, then I guess James does hate highsec. Personally I don't think that anywhere in EVE is a suitable place for them.

Xander Phoena wrote:
I'm sorry you (and Poe) didn't enjoy the interview. What makes me pleased is the vast majority of people, including James himself and the rest of the NWO camp, appear to have appreciated the tough questioning which allowed James to clear the air regarding the troll thing and his platform. You can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time I guess.

Oh, I certainly enjoyed the interview - and I'd like to point out that I thought the other fifteen were even better. It's just that in this one case I felt that you were a little too unwilling to even try to accept James' ideas, which made it more difficult to actually discuss them.

Edit: Oh, and the acronym for 'New Order' really doesn't need a W in the middle.
Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#48 - 2013-02-19 17:00:34 UTC

Oh, I certainly enjoyed the interview - and I'd like to point out that I thought the other fifteen were even better. It's just that in this one case I felt that you were a little too unwilling to even try to accept James' ideas, which made it more difficult to actually discuss them.

I think the fact that he was able to answer so well despite my very tough questioning actually paints him in an even stronger light than had I went easier on him. I'm guessing that's why he is so pleased with how it went in the end.

Edit: Oh, and the acronym for 'New Order' really doesn't need a W in the middle.

D'oh!

www.crossingzebras.com

Vin King
State War Academy
Caldari State
#49 - 2013-02-19 17:21:00 UTC
Xander Phoena wrote:
The sixteenth interview is now live. This time we have The Saviour of high sec, James 315

http://c-z.me/csm8james315

I fixed an unfortunate typo for you.

That said, I have to agree with Kainotomiu in that there was an obvious and apparent bias against James. One of the fun things about the New Order is the amount of satire used at almost every level of it, and it appears that you may have missed out on some or all of it during your research period. Pointing out that, right now, the amount of protections afforded by HighSec can annoy even self-proclaimed carebears who can do little to rectify annoyances they encounter and pointing out the imbalances present throughout the game isn't really a hating platform.

The interview wasn't bad, but I think it could have been better served by pressing him on some of his methods and clarifying his positions, rather than pressing him on if he's a troll or not. A fair number of people do miss out on how the satire of the Order works on a daily basis, and digging into that may have helped some people understand his position more clearly.

Proud member of the New Order of HighSec

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#50 - 2013-02-19 18:48:47 UTC
Vin King wrote:
The interview wasn't bad, but I think it could have been better served by pressing him on some of his methods and clarifying his positions, rather than pressing him on if he's a troll or not.

tbh that was probably my biggest concern about his campaign, and I'm a shareholder. Now that we know he's serious (thank you Xander, great work on the interview!) I think it's safe to vote for the guy. James 315 did a great job representing himself and his platform.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#51 - 2013-02-19 19:18:00 UTC
Vin King wrote:
[quote=Xander Phoena]The interview wasn't bad, but I think it could have been better served by pressing him on some of his methods and clarifying his positions, rather than pressing him on if he's a troll or not. A fair number of people do miss out on how the satire of the Order works on a daily basis, and digging into that may have helped some people understand his position more clearly.

I could have perhaps pushed him more on his platform and his positions but to be honest, I don't know how much more information I could have got from him. He went into his platform in a LOT of detail - far more than I (or anyone else I'd imagine) would have expected.

One man's satire is another man's troll. The line is very fine and often comes down to personal perspective. I don't apologise for clarifying his position here. It seems like people like Karl above were unsure and now they are actually going to vote for him. From James' perspective, mission accomplished.

www.crossingzebras.com

Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#52 - 2013-02-19 20:01:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaju Enki
Great interview. James is going to save EvE Online from trammelization.

PS: Xander, you were bias against James, on the other candidates interviews you weren't like that at all. Do you have a afk highsec mining alt?

The Tears Must Flow

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2013-02-19 20:22:32 UTC
Xander Phoena wrote:
Secondly, are you an alt of Poe?
I already expressed my feelings as myself ... why would I need to do so again anonymously? Geez, dude. I like your podcasts, I like your interviews. I just thought the James 315 interview was your single terrible misstep.
Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#54 - 2013-02-19 21:25:40 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Xander Phoena wrote:
Secondly, are you an alt of Poe?
I already expressed my feelings as myself ... why would I need to do so again anonymously? Geez, dude. I like your podcasts, I like your interviews. I just thought the James 315 interview was your single terrible misstep.

Man, I'm failing hard at this 'tongue in cheek' ****, right? I thought the smiley would have given it away.

www.crossingzebras.com

Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#55 - 2013-02-19 21:27:02 UTC
Vaju Enki wrote:
Great interview. James is going to save EvE Online from trammelization.

PS: Xander, you were bias against James, on the other candidates interviews you weren't like that at all. Do you have a afk highsec mining alt?

lol, no I do not. I have to say that by the end of the interview, I was very impressed with a lot of the ideas James315 put across. I think he is a perhaps a little too extreme in some of his concepts but I certainly understand where he is coming from.

www.crossingzebras.com

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2013-02-19 21:38:31 UTC
Xander Phoena wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:
Do you have a afk highsec mining alt?
lol, no I do not.
It's becoming a common misconception. Smile

http://www.minerbumping.com/2013/02/csm-interview-with-xander-phoena.html?showComment=1361308299281#c5175677727276904776
Alana Charen-Teng
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2013-02-19 23:14:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Alana Charen-Teng
Xander Phoena wrote:
Man, I'm failing hard at this 'tongue in cheek' ****, right? I thought the smiley would have given it away.

I think a misunderstanding may arise when minerbumpers give a tongue-in-cheek response without a smiley to accompany it. :)

Xander Phoena wrote:
I think the fact that he was able to answer so well despite my very tough questioning actually paints him in an even stronger light than had I went easier on him. I'm guessing that's why he is so pleased with how it went in the end

I absolutely agree - difficult and focused questions are an opportunity for an interviewee to distinguish himself by giving strong answers. I honestly lol'd when you abruptly asked, "Are you a troll candidate?"

Great work on the interviews, love your accent too!
Wescro
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#58 - 2013-02-19 23:59:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Wescro
I like your interviews, I think asking tough questions is important. I would have liked to see you remain neutral for the James 315 interview. The attitude at the beginning was dismissive rather than inquisitive. Terms like "hater" and "troll" made your subjective opinion of your interviewee very clear. Those are nothing short of insults, it would be like asking a candidate "Are you stupid?"

I prefer interviews that demonstrate to the audience what the interviewee thinks, not what the interviewer thinks. That said, please keep doing what you are doing. The interviews are great fun to listen to.
John E Normus
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#59 - 2013-02-20 04:38:33 UTC
I thought that your interview with James 315 was your best yet Xander. Tough questions, great answers, and both parties at top of their game. I appreciate your efforts. Keep it up!

It's perfectly fine that James 315 got to you a little. I've seen the Holy Spreadsheet, you're in good company!

*wonders where that 30 mil is... Blink

Between Ignorance and Wisdom

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2013-02-20 06:34:52 UTC
John E Normus wrote:
I've seen the Holy Spreadsheet ...
What? LOL! I have to delve into this mythology more.