These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Retribution 1.1] Armor Tanking 1.5

First post First post
Author
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#1141 - 2013-02-01 20:37:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Bouh Revetoile
Maeltstome wrote:
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
The capacitor batteries at the medium level actually slide in pretty nicely compared to cap boosters. Is there any chance of further buffing to make them worthwhile?

You're entirely missing the point. Cap battery's dont help against neuts.

"But hey they reflect neuts"

Yea they do, but when a neut boat filled with cap boosters makes it their goal to pump 400m³ of cap 800's into some nuets, cap battery's only delay the process by a few cycles at most.

p.s. i also agree with taking limited edition ships off of sisi. It achieves nothing other. Also faction ships. I enjoy the vindicator and machariel to fly, but how can you ever test re-balanced ships if there is no reason to fly something that isn't faction or pirate. of course you will loose to them, they are designed to be superior.

That's only true for dedicated neuting ships ; most ships are not those ; most ships with neut are simply ship with utility high and often no cap booster.

Problem is that only large battery compensate for the cap efficiency of a meta4 neutralizer, and they are insaley difficult to fit.
Captain Semper
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#1142 - 2013-02-01 21:47:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Semper
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

That's only true for dedicated neuting ships ; most ships are not those ; most ships with neut are simply ship with utility high and often no cap booster.

Problem is that only large battery compensate for the cap efficiency of a meta4 neutralizer, and they are insaley difficult to fit.

Many times i saw hypers, maels, brutix and even vindic that just fit 2-3 neut instead of turrets.
All battery (S,M,L) must have same bonus for neut reduction. And not 12,5% (why it 25% for vamps that rarely use and 12,5% on neuts? Switch plz) 25% for all.
Small and medium need less CPU (50 and 75 for T2? Srsly?).
Pinky Denmark
The Cursed Navy
#1143 - 2013-02-01 22:47:33 UTC
Sinzor Aumer wrote:
What's the use of MWD if 1 scram switches it off?

Getting fast into combat with short range weapons and/or being able to kite outside web/scram range on slower ships?
Commander Ted
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1144 - 2013-02-02 06:00:13 UTC
Perhaps ASB's should use cap when loaded? I mean not even that much, like as much as a single blaster?

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=174097 Separate all 4 empires in eve with lowsec.

Sigras
Conglomo
#1145 - 2013-02-02 10:59:08 UTC
Pinky Denmark wrote:
Sinzor Aumer wrote:
What's the use of MWD if 1 scram switches it off?

Getting fast into combat with short range weapons and/or being able to kite outside web/scram range on slower ships?

i believe that remark was a sarcastic retort to the whine that AARs still take cap and are therefore vulnerable to neuts
Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#1146 - 2013-02-02 12:00:55 UTC
ASB and AAR should be vulnerable to cap warfare.

The Tears Must Flow

Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#1147 - 2013-02-02 12:04:26 UTC
Is it possible to code it so that a booster won't fire without a certain amount cap, without actually expensing said cap?
Takeshi Yamato
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1148 - 2013-02-02 13:47:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Takeshi Yamato
Veshta Yoshida wrote:
Is it possible to code it so that a booster won't fire without a certain amount cap, without actually expensing said cap?

That weird mechanics like the one you're describing are being considered in a desperate attempt to fix the problem just goes to show what a horrible idea cap warfare immune ASBs are.

Instead of the ASB being a shield booster plus cap booster in one, moving Shield Boost Amps to a low slot might have been a better way to give shield tanks an extra mid.

That way shield tanks don't get a freebie slot and are subject to cap warfare in the same way as everyone else.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#1149 - 2013-02-02 14:14:18 UTC
Takeshi Yamato wrote:
Veshta Yoshida wrote:

That weird mechanics like the one you're describing are being considered in a desperate attempt to fix the problem just goes to show what a horrible idea cap warfare immune ASBs are.

Instead of the ASB being a shield booster plus cap booster in one, moving Shield Boost Amps to a low slot might have been a better way to give shield tanks an extra mid.

That way shield tanks don't get a freebie slot and are subject to cap ware in the same way as everyone else.
That's actually a simply, yet elegant solution.
Personally I'm not to bothered by the cap issue, but if it were to change that would be a great idea.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#1150 - 2013-02-02 15:12:49 UTC
Takeshi Yamato wrote:
Veshta Yoshida wrote:

That weird mechanics like the one you're describing are being considered in a desperate attempt to fix the problem just goes to show what a horrible idea cap warfare immune ASBs are....

Want to hear the other brain-fart, the really out-of-box one?

Extenders as is.
Boosters as is.

ASB to be remodelled to act like the old-school RPG mana-shield, all damage absorbed, every 2-4 (meta level?) points of damage burns one cap.
- Ultimate burst tanking, severely limited by first the fitting of the mod itself and second by injectors and their slower 'speed', plus of course cargo requirement.
- Only good for short engagements (like active armour) as everything as you know turns off when cap dry, micro nightmare to click everything on next charge going in.
- Major rewiring results in base shields being halved so once dry it collapses even faster (hardeners/DCU gone as well).
- Only really worthwhile Caldari/Minmatar due to their mainly capless weapons (ASB Abaddon will be risky as hell).

So you see, I just gave the the one I thought was most palatable Big smile
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1151 - 2013-02-02 16:00:34 UTC
Did anyone else notice that the AAR description on Sisi says
Quote:
Prototype Inferno module.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Beaver Retriever
Reality Sequence
#1152 - 2013-02-02 17:53:29 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the AAR description on Sisi says
Quote:
Prototype Inferno module.

The same as all the other new modules since Inferno then.

Also, Fozzie, any chance for meta and T2 Reactive Armor Hardeners in 1.1?
Marcel Devereux
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#1153 - 2013-02-02 18:52:52 UTC
A Thorax with a 1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I with 3 Medium Trimark Armor Pump I’s currently has a base speed of 1570 m/s with a microwarpdrive. With the proposed skill at level V the speed becomes 1618 m/s. That is a 48 m/s improvement or 9.6 m/s per skill level. For each skill level you are improving the speed by 0.06%.

A Thorax with 800mm Reinforced Steel Plates II with 3 Medium Trimark Armor Pump I’s 6 currently has a base speed of 1632 m/s. With the proposed stat change and skill at level V the speed becomes 1691 m/s. That is a 59 m/s improvement or 11.8 m/s per skill level. Without the skill trained and the mass change the speed is 1661 m/s. That is a 30 m/s improvement or a 6 m/s per skill level. For each skill level you are improving the speed by 0.03%

A 0.06% and 0.03% speed improvement for training up a rank 3 skill seems kind of silly. If that was actually a 5% speed increase I would say that it is worth it. But introducing a skill that gives such a small increase does not seem like a good thing to do.
Marcel Devereux
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#1154 - 2013-02-02 18:58:44 UTC
More math.

A base MWD Thorax goes 2028 m/s. The 1600mm case is going from a 77% of speed to a 79% of the speed. The 800mm case is going from a 82% of the speed to 83% of the speed. The proposed skill only marginally helps the speed penalty problem. Please do not add it.
Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#1155 - 2013-02-02 19:33:29 UTC
Marcel Devereux wrote:
More math...

If you don't consider the proposed skill worthwhile then why not just refrain from buying and training it?

You are right, that it doesn't do much for straight line speed but mass is more than a speed hindrance. Close fights are often won/lost because of a few seconds of indecision or outright mistake of one of the pilots involved .. a few extra m/s and a slightly tighter turning radius may not look awesome on paper but it can mean the world in those close fights.

But it is all besides the point, plate buffering is being buffed which is just plain wrong even if active tanks are being made a lot more viable. Sacrifices for plating are quite simply not severe enough to make up for the benefits they bestow on their users (easy fittings (comparatively), capless etc.) .. just thank your lucky stars/rabbit's foot/whatever that I am not the one calling the shots Big smile
Captain Semper
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#1156 - 2013-02-02 19:45:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Semper
Marcel Devereux wrote:
A Thorax with a 1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I with 3 Medium Trimark Armor Pump I’s currently has a base speed of 1570 m/s with a microwarpdrive. With the proposed skill at level V the speed becomes 1618 m/s. That is a 48 m/s improvement or 9.6 m/s per skill level. For each skill level you are improving the speed by 0.06%.

A Thorax with 800mm Reinforced Steel Plates II with 3 Medium Trimark Armor Pump I’s 6 currently has a base speed of 1632 m/s. With the proposed stat change and skill at level V the speed becomes 1691 m/s. That is a 59 m/s improvement or 11.8 m/s per skill level. Without the skill trained and the mass change the speed is 1661 m/s. That is a 30 m/s improvement or a 6 m/s per skill level. For each skill level you are improving the speed by 0.03%

A 0.06% and 0.03% speed improvement for training up a rank 3 skill seems kind of silly. If that was actually a 5% speed increase I would say that it is worth it. But introducing a skill that gives such a small increase does not seem like a good thing to do.

Fozzie, plz look at this...
x3 skill that give you 48m\s on crus while MWD on. And 1600mm plate significantly increase thorax mass...
Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#1157 - 2013-02-03 01:36:52 UTC
Captain Semper wrote:
Marcel Devereux wrote:

Fozzie, plz look at this...
x3 skill that give you 48m\s on crus while MWD on. And 1600mm plate significantly increase thorax mass...

I have a feeling he's been smashed into the absolute minimum of replies since the last few pages are mostly hardcore critisism :S

Now you know why ghostcrawler stopped posting on the forums!
Naomi Anthar
#1158 - 2013-02-03 03:58:45 UTC
"Limited to one per ship " ... WHY ?!!!!! As far as my knowledge can tell me , there is NOTHING wrong with putting more than 1 ASBs and putting oversized ASBs aswell.

I'm starting to think that problem does not lie within armor, but within shield.
Fozzie desperately admitted that they don't want to give AAR treatment of ASB because "we already have stuff that is immune to neuts and we don't want to repeat this mistake" - he did not said that, but anyone who got clue knows that it's exactly that.

Maybe it's high time to make topic Shield tanking 1.5. Because blindly and desperately buffing armor can cause more problems than good things. The problem is not withing armor tanking actually. Shield tanking is so retardely op atm , without any single drawback to begin with, that devs actually have no idea how to match this. Just go for shields and nerf across the board and problem is solved , no need to buff armor more than you proposed.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#1159 - 2013-02-03 05:58:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Bienator II
AARs are at the current state far inferior to ASBs.

Since AARs have additional penalties (cap use, low performance, one per ship) why can't they have a better reload time? Reduce it to 20s or something.

edit: or make it reloadable while it is active and empty. This would be still in line with the "short burst but weak sustainable tank" idea

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Takeshi Yamato
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1160 - 2013-02-03 09:34:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Takeshi Yamato
Some more thoughts on the ASB

What was the intent with introducing ASBs? Many ships didn't have enough mid slots for active shield tanks to be effective, as such the ASB was to combine shield booster plus cap booster in one module. This created twobig problems:

1. The ASB mounted on ships with capless weapons is a hard counter to fits that due to low-mediocre dps must use energy neutralizers to break tanks. Being able to hard counter another fit should have some downsides, namely being hard countered by something else. ASBs aren't hard countered by anything and don't have to give up anything either for their supremacy. While ASB ships became popular, the fits that the ASB hard counters became unpopular. So the ASB isn't really making more ships viable for solo/small gangs, it's just changing which ships are viable.

2. Oversized shield boosters are limited by their capacitor use. A XL-SB on a battlecruiser must still be fed with a medium cap booster because oversizing cap boosters is impossible. As such oversized shield boosters are especially vulnerable to energy neutralizing, as it should be.

An oversized ASB on the other hand is at the same time also an oversized cap booster and any cap problems normally related to oversizing disappear.

3. Multiple ASBs end up being ridiculously effective.

So what's the way out of this? The ASB must be changed. It violates a basic design principle (hard counters without being countered by something else or having a downside) and oversized ASBs are just overpowered. The original problem of active shield tanks requiring too many mid slots must still be adressed though.

It has been suggested to make the ASB cost some cap even when loaded. That sounds very reasonable at first, but it would make ASB fits MORE vulnerable to energy neutralizing compared to a SB+cap booster combo. Once they get low on cap, there is no recovery because they wouldn't be able to fire the ASB even with charges loaded. Not a good idea.

It has been suggested to introduce a low or high slot cap booster instead to free up a mid slot for active shield tanks. That also sounds reasonable as long as limit ourselves to shield tanks. However it would massively affect many ships, especially Amarr, giving them more flexibility than intended. Not a good idea, unless some severe and artificial restrictions are placed on this low/high slot cap booster to limit its use to shield tanks.

I suggested moving shield boost amps to a low slot to free up a mid for shield tanks. This is a simply and elegant solution but with the problem that frigates who don't usually fit boost amps won't benefit much if at all.

Personally I favor a solution that lets active shield tankers move a module from a mid to a low (details to be decided), with an ASB that mirrors the AAR and thus requires a cap booster to be used while consuming nanite paste.