These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Retribution 1.1] Armor Tanking 1.5

First post First post
Author
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#281 - 2013-01-22 08:09:10 UTC
Very nice.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Corben Arctus
Future Corps
Sleeper Social Club
#282 - 2013-01-22 08:11:11 UTC
Ammzi wrote:
Brutix, here I come Big smile

Fixed that for ya.

Fon Revedhort
Monks of War
#283 - 2013-01-22 08:24:16 UTC
Shaak'Ti wrote:

! WARNING !

Carebears crying for permatanks !

Burst tanks FTW !

AAR made for PvP... hell yeah.. go back to your rainbowland with your shiney fitting farmers :P

That's one the most stupid things about these ancilliary modules. They all come in just one cheap-ass variant, so PvP inevitably degenerates into all ships being limited to just one option of the very same meta level. By that logic we should have like one warp disruptor and one web, too. Damn communism is alive, it seems. Seriously, why make us same?

"Being supporters of free speech and free and open [CSM] elections... we removed Fon Revedhort from eligibility". CCP, April 2013.

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#284 - 2013-01-22 08:25:02 UTC
Shaak'Ti wrote:

! WARNING !

Burst tanks FTW !

AAR made for PvP... hell yeah.. go back to your rainbowland with your shiney fitting farmers :P

Confirming I am indeed a carebear. Why would you fit an AAR on a MYRM instead of an XLASB?

Btw when I actually carebear, my armor ship needs cap transfers and RR to hold up as well a passive shield tank.

Rick Rymes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#285 - 2013-01-22 08:29:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Rick Rymes
Galatea Galilei wrote:
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:
Only medium armor repairers scale poorly (as evidenced by the need to fit triple reps on the Myrm to make it a competitive ship)...

It's not even competitive. That gets it into tanking range of a shield-tanked Myrm, but it then does ridiculously low damage compared to the shield Myrm (which still tanks a bit more DPS while fitting three Drone Damage Amps). It's really, really sad that a Myrm with every single low slot, every rig, and half it's med slots devoted to tank still doens't quite tank as well as a shield-tanked Myrm with half of its low slots devoted to Drone Damage Amps. The only reason anyone ever armor-tanks a Myrm is they foolishly read the description and thought that rep bonus should get used, but never actually ran the numbers.

The large armor reps aren't that great either, even fitting requirements aside.

Do remember that the new Myrm coming in the next change will be getting a bandwidth buff, meaning it will be able to use 4 Ogres. so the dps may be better than expected, damage amp or no damage amp.
deepos
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#286 - 2013-01-22 08:36:45 UTC
Iris Bravemount wrote:

The incursus nerf means the following to me: You are reading "the incursus works" as "armor repping just needs more repping amount". It works because it can fit decent dps alongside decent tank, while maintaining decent speed. The proposed changes will ruin it.

Furthermore, you agree that neut immune active tanking is OP, yet you refuse to:
1 - Do something about the ASB's neut immunity
2 - Restrict ASBs to one module per ship.

Instead you inflict both required nerfs on the armor tanks.

You are really not making it easy for people to like your ideas this time Fozzie. Straight

Well said,

100% true,

Please Fozzie, address this
Rick Rymes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#287 - 2013-01-22 08:39:53 UTC
In a way this also a buff to the Punisher and Rifter.

The active armor tank Rifter will be able to use its speed to its fullest now, and the new ARR it can rep more too.

As for the Punisher, the buffer fit will still suck, but an active tank fit could actually work. The Punisher is quite fast till you slap plates and trimarks on it, now that plates don't hamper speed as much and if you use active tank rigs to increase rep amount (which is also buffed by its resist bonus) it could be used in conventional frigate PvP.

I do however stress the word could.
Borlag Crendraven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#288 - 2013-01-22 08:46:26 UTC
Rick Rymes wrote:
Do remember that the new Myrm coming in the next change will be getting a bandwidth buff, meaning it will be able to use 4 Ogres. so the dps may be better than expected, damage amp or no damage amp.

On the other hand, that will just widen the gap between the shield and armor fit Myrmidon's dps. The shield version will still be able to fit more damage amps than the armor...
Rick Rymes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#289 - 2013-01-22 08:51:03 UTC
Borlag Crendraven wrote:
Rick Rymes wrote:

On the other hand, that will just widen the gap between the shield and armor fit Myrmidon's dps. The shield version will still be able to fit more damage amps than the armor...

Very true, just best to put it out there, i mean the armor changes also mean that the speed difference will be slighter, which i believe has been the thorn in the side of armor tankers for a long time, and am i right in assuming that an armor myrm will have more buffer than a shield myrm?
Dmitrii Satohin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#290 - 2013-01-22 09:00:45 UTC
I dont like the thing with Incursus...Nowadays Armor tanking is not so good like shield tanking ...i think it should be the same!!!
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#291 - 2013-01-22 09:27:35 UTC
Roime wrote:
Shaak'Ti wrote:

! WARNING !

Burst tanks FTW !

Confirming I am indeed a carebear. Why would you fit an AAR on a MYRM instead of an XLASB?

Btw when I actually carebear, my armor ship needs cap transfers and RR to hold up as well a passive shield tank.

Because its going to be better? do you realise how much 2.25 more is? Without gimping your fittings?

Anyhow now hopefully CCP can put a small team on revamping missions. PVP fittings should be required for missions (Fewer rats, more dps, rats that warp if you don't point, rats that try to kite you, so forth)

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Mag's
Azn Empire
#292 - 2013-01-22 09:31:38 UTC
Well I've read the thread and now start to have my doubts regarding these changes.
The AAR while initially looks good, is hit with 2 nerfs over the ASB.

TBH it still looks like a buffer tank is better than an active one, after these changes.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#293 - 2013-01-22 09:34:19 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Is my title pretentious enough?

We've got the resources all properly committed so I'm now ready to share with you all our initial plan to fix some of the biggest problems that face armor tanking in this game. Sorry for the extended period of teasing, hopefully the happy ending will make it all worthwhile.

I was going to go into this big spiel about all the problems with armor tanking in general and active armor tanking in particular, but you all know this so I'll jump straight to the interesting bits.

Here's what we're looking for feedback on:

Armor Rigs Updated formerly incorrect bonus on the Overcharger.
  • New rig called the Nanobot Overcharger that increased the overheat bonus on your local armor reps by 100% (120% for T2). So with one of the T1 rigs overheating gives the rep 20% more rep amount and 30% faster rate of fire instead of the default 10% and 15% respectively. This effect is stacking penalized and gives no bonus when the reps are not overheated. Same calibration and build costs as a Aux Nano or Nanobot Acc rig.
  • Change the penalty on all active armor rigs (Aux Nano Pump, Nanobot Accelerator, and the new Nanobot Overcharger) to increase the powergrid use of local armor reps by 10% instead of reducing ship velocity. Note this is increasing the PG use of the reps by 10% (or 5% at Armor Rigging V) not decreasing the total PG of the ship.

• Plates
  • Add a new skill to the game called Armor Upgrades. This skill reduces the mass penalty of all armor plates by 5% per level. (Int/Mem, rank 3, requires Mechanics 3) This skill affects all plates (including 1600mm) and is separate from the stat change listed below.
  • Reduce the base mass penalty on all 800mm, 200mm and 50mm plates by 20%

• Ancillary Armor Repairer
  • Not the same mechanic as the ASB, please read to the end.
  • Always uses the same cap as a normal (T1/T2/Named) Armor Repper
  • When not loaded with a cap booster, has 3/4 the rep amount as a T1 Armor Repairer
  • Loaded cap boosters triple rep amount (so reps 2.25x a T1 repairer when loaded)
  • Same cycle time and fittings as T1 reps
  • Same capacity, charge restrictions and reload time as an ASB, but the longer cycle time of armor reps means it goes longer between reloads
  • Limited to one per ship

:Edit:
Incursus
With these changes we're looking to reduce the Incursus rep bonus from 10% to 7.5% because otherwise it would be wtfbbqop. Forgot to mention that initially :mybad:

Quick Q&A about the AAR:
  • Why limited to one per ship?
  • The longer time between reloads is a big part of the playstyle we wanted to give the AAR, but that with multiple copies would completely negate the burst tanking ideal. In addition, there is more of a tradition of lowslot tanking modules restricted to one per ship so I made the call that in this case the restriction would be worthwhile. The ASB debate is a separate issue unconnected. Please note that nothing is preventing current dual or triple rep fits from swapping one of their reps into an AAR.
  • Why keep the cap use consistent?
  • The elimination of cap consumption when loaded is a huge advantage of ASBs, but we decided with the AAR to build the strengths in another direction, focusing on greater stability instead. In addition, one downside of the ASB's zero cap use is the inability of one player to influence the tank of another through neuts. This works ok for the ASB but I am not inclined to expand that mechanic further.
  • Why not just buff all armor reps?
  • One of the aspects I really like about the ASB is that it allowed CCP to decouple burst tanking from sustained tanking in a new and interesting way. Burst tanking is key for most PVP active tank scenarios while sustained tanking is more common for PVE. We wanted to carry that aspect over to armor tanking, allowing us to create new burst tanking gameplay without making current sustained tanking gameplay overpowered.

So we are very interested in hearing your feedback on this proposal. Expect at least most of these changes to make it into the next Sisi build for playtesting (the AARs might not catch this upcoming build but they should at least be in the one after that).

Could you post the mass numbers the plates will have after changes with full skills?

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Shaak'Ti
    The Public Enemy.
    #294 - 2013-01-22 09:37:19 UTC

if shield and armor would be same.. why we have armor and shield, instead of one tank.. and we should fly same ships too.. aaand with same skills, and same avatar.. it will be awesome.. oh expect u, u a bit stornger than others.. right?

if u think shield is better.. use tha shield stuffz.. or use armor stuff if u think armor is better. Who care what u fitt on your myrmidon??

if u want to waste medslots to shield tanking (its hard in pvp coz need point, web, propulson in med, and some resist would be fine too if u really shield tanking) than DO IT!.. nobody cares

What I see in this topic?
    Idiots want a smarter game..( go play some other games if its too complex for u.)

What I want.. what I see in this?
    I want more challange, more type of tanking (not harder, to can be godmode anyone) makes more challenge.

it's still not a boost of armor reps.. it's a new type of armor repping. If u think it's crap don't need to use.. but I want it !
    Vimsy Vortis
    Shoulda Checked Local
    Break-A-Wish Foundation
    #295 - 2013-01-22 09:39:10 UTC
    I'm upset that you couldn't come up with an interesting new module and just made an armor repairer you could load with cap boosters. Despite the slightly different mechanics it's still very similar to an ASB. Even as someone who exclusively flies armor ships I want to see the asymmetry beyween shield and armor preserved and an armor repairer you can load with cap boosters for 0 cap repping blurs that considerably.
    Raging Beaver
    Republic University
    Minmatar Republic
    #296 - 2013-01-22 09:43:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Raging Beaver
    My view on the plates and changes to them.

IMHO the main problem with the plates isn't their mass addition (and the problems it creates). The fact that you want to reduce the mass of the not-used plate types is not a solution to the problem but rather an incentive to actually start using them. Why don't people use them now? Because they're bloody awful.
    Take the 50mm plate for example. The T2 version adds 150 armor hp. Now tell me, why would I waste my lowslot for that? The only way I'd fit this to a ship is if I really had no CPU and Grid to put in anything else but even then, I'd think about putting in an Overdrive or an Adaptive Nano Plating.
    The same applies to Shield Extenders - for instance - why would I put an MSE on a Vaga? 1050hp vs 2625 on an LSE, and most Vaga fits use 2 LSE's...

I get the basic idea behind the Armor vs Shield tank - Armor having less raw hp and hp regeneration (of course no passive one, talking reps here) but higher resists, the Shield having lots of raw hp and a huge regeneration but crappy resists.
    That being said, higher base resists just aren't enough at times, you need the raw hp, but to do that you need to put the biggest plate around.
    This is the shield fitting philosophy being applied to armor. This is why the 1600mm plate, aimed for battleships is being used on cruisers. You CAN fit it without making the fit look stupid, it gives a lot more hp, it uses one low slot (remember, we use them for DPS as well, right? If in EFT a 1600 plate will give a similar or better result hp-wise than an 800 plate+additional hardener/rig, guess which one are the people going to use...).
    It's a very complicated system and while in theory plates vs extenders should yield similar results, the way they are being used creates the imbalance.

I guess you could try to force people to use the "right size" of the module for a particular ship (either by changing the fitting requirements drastically - creating other problems, or by limiting the number of extenders/plates you can use in a fit to 1 - making the whole thing ridiculous) but we all know It would again end in front of Jita 4-4, shooting the damn monument.
    Roime
    Mea Culpa.
    Shadow Cartel
    #297 - 2013-01-22 09:49:52 UTC
    Garviel Tarrant wrote:

Because its going to be better? do you realise how much 2.25 more is? Without gimping your fittings?

2.25*crap != good?

MAAR: 742.5 hp / 9s * 9 = 6682 hp
    XLASB: 980 hp / 5s * 9 = 8820 hp

Please note that this is indeed on an armor rep-bonused ship.

AAR reps come at the end of much longer cycle, which makes it considerably harder to use economically compared to ASB. Maybe this is a way to balance the fact that they also rep less and can be completely neuted out, idk.

Both fit without gimping "your fittings", with the difference that you can fit two XLASBs if you are willing to "gimp the ship"- which in this case means you will have more tank and dps than an armor fit.

vOv

SuicidalPancake
    Deep Core Mining Inc.
    Caldari State
    #298 - 2013-01-22 09:57:15 UTC
    CCP Fozzie needs moar hugs!

_ _

Roime
    Mea Culpa.
    Shadow Cartel
    #299 - 2013-01-22 09:57:43 UTC
    Shaak'Ti wrote:

if u think shield is better.. use tha shield stuffz.. or use armor stuff if u think armor is better. Who care what u fitt on your myrmidon??

It is used as an example because it's second hull bonus is 7.5% to armor reps, and it still tanks better when active shield tanked.

Vimsy Vortis wrote:
    Even as someone who exclusively flies armor ships I want to see the asymmetry beyween shield and armor preserved and an armor repairer you can load with cap boosters for 0 cap repping blurs that considerably.

Cool then that there is no such module, AAR uses cap even when loaded with cap boosters.

Vimsy Vortis
    Shoulda Checked Local
    Break-A-Wish Foundation
    #300 - 2013-01-22 09:58:59 UTC
    Well then that's okay because that is totally different!