These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Retribution 1.1] Armor Tanking 1.5

First post First post
Author
John Nucleus
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#201 - 2013-01-21 23:36:44 UTC
Iris Bravemount wrote:
John Nucleus wrote:
Arch Stanton's Neighbour wrote:

Also how about removing the speed penalty from armor modules altogether? It's space after all. Just leave the agility penalty thatr's enough IMHO.

+1

Wouldn't that fix a lot of imbalances? What are the arguments against this?

I hereby support the idea of replacing current armor rig penalties with agility penalties across the board. This is so simple and brilliant ! Shocked

Not just rigs though, all armor modules too. Speed is just too crucial in a fight and buffing armor to compensate for it just seems to be unnecessarily complex.

I say be bold and just drop it.
Fon Revedhort
Monks of War
#202 - 2013-01-21 23:38:10 UTC
The best thing is the penalty change. The rest is mediocre at best. Further encouraging buffertanking via new useful skill - lolwhat? If you're that eager to introduce new skills, how about you invent something for reducing PG consumption on reps instead? Would make much more sense.

Seconding those saying that fundamental issue can not be fixed by addition of new shiny modules. In case of active tanking the issue has always been in passive tanks providing too much EHP.

"Being supporters of free speech and free and open [CSM] elections... we removed Fon Revedhort from eligibility". CCP, April 2013.

Shaniqua McBoggis
EVE Corporation 98195887
#203 - 2013-01-21 23:41:20 UTC
Roime wrote:
I also echo the concern that balancing could have been more easily done by

- reducing armor rep cycle time (reps happen at the end of cycle anyway)
- reducing armor rep fitting costs
- reducing armor rep cap usage
- increasing armor rep hull bonuses to 10%

This proposed solution forces armor tankers to learn another new skill (we just had to train RAH skill), increases the already massive fitting cost imbalance even further while doing nothing to the cap issue or making the 7.5% hull bonus any more worthwhile.

Not empty quoting.

Never intended to post on the forums but these changes seem way out of whack and I can't help myself. Why the need for an ancillary armor repper? Despite my fail at this game, even I can see that a simple increase to armor rep hull bonus to 10% seemed to be the most productive and logical way to go. Almost the entire OP had the feel of change for changes sake and the new skill? Seriously, I already have more SP in armor tanking yet can shield tank better - why add more pain in improving armor skills, if you want people to use the other sizes of plates why not just reduce their mass and leave the 400mm and 1600mm plates alone?
Utremi Fasolasi
La Dolce Vita
#204 - 2013-01-21 23:51:19 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
You completely free to not use the AAR on ships with small cargoholds, I give you permission.

Do you have any plans to take a look at the Proteus' cargo bay with the armor tanking subsystem? It doesn't have enough space for normal cap boosting, let alone AARs. IIRC there are several other Gallente ships that are expected to active tank and have relatively tiny cargobays.

-Liang

We're taking a look at cargoholds and making adjustments as we move through the classes. It's no coincidence that the Brutix gained cargohold in the BC changes.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, not already through the thread, but.. cap booster hold? feasible? bad idea?
Allandri
Liandri Industrial
#205 - 2013-01-21 23:58:11 UTC
These changes are going to make the next AT interesting
IrJosy
Club 1621
#206 - 2013-01-22 00:07:37 UTC
Posting to remind you that people actually use the armor rep bonus on the myrm and not the brutix. No one uses armor reps on brutixes or astartes/eos's. People use triple rep myrms to solo and single/dual rep myrms for pve. Please keep the rep bonus on the myrm and change the brutix to something actually usefull like tracking or optimal/fall off.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#207 - 2013-01-22 00:10:33 UTC
I'm also heavily underwhelmed at these 'active tanking buffs' as the reality is I see no change to fixing active tanking worth talking about here.
The Plates are not active tanking, they are buffer tanking. So you have helped armour buffer tanking, which is all great.
But active tanking still has massive fitting issues, and simply isn't competative with active shield tanking, even with the new mod. Overheating your modules is all nice & great for a 30 second fight, but it's not any kind of sustained fight. And active shield tanks way outstrip armour in a sustained way still.
Freyja Asynjur
Folkvangr
#208 - 2013-01-22 00:15:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Freyja Asynjur
I think you should stick with the new skill, and have a big OH bonus built-in for all armor repairers.

Then trash that AAR idea (and the ASB while you're at it).

-

Iyacia Cyric'ai
Lai Dai Counterintelligence
#209 - 2013-01-22 00:36:47 UTC
Brutix will be the new Cyclone? I think AAR will be awesome in combination with some buffer to help it survive the reload.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#210 - 2013-01-22 00:41:11 UTC
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:
Brutix will be the new Cyclone? I think AAR will be awesome in combination with some buffer to help it survive the reload.

So you're thinking AAR+800 plate? Interesting, but I'm not sure where you're going to find the grid for that.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Maximus Andendare
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#211 - 2013-01-22 00:41:48 UTC
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:
Except you'll never be able to have a dual AAR Brutix vs the dual ASB Cyclone

Enter grid and you're already dead, destined to be reborn and fight another day.

>> Play Eve Online FREE! Join today for exclusive bonuses! <<

fukier
Gallente Federation
#212 - 2013-01-22 00:56:52 UTC
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:

ok so what are you thinking for a brutix?

aar and 1600?

upon reflection the aar might be usefull with a buffer tank...
At the end of the game both the pawn and the Queen go in the same box.
fukier
Gallente Federation
#213 - 2013-01-22 00:57:56 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:

So you're thinking AAR+800 plate? Interesting, but I'm not sure where you're going to find the grid for that.

-Liang

assuming that the aar with be eq or less to a medium armor rep i can fit electrons with a 1600
Anarchy Manifesto
KillTronic
Fraternity.
#214 - 2013-01-22 01:03:38 UTC
I would have liked to have seen a buff to active armor tanking via the already existing armor repper modules in game, personally. Regular old fashioned sustained active shield tanking will still be wildly superior to sustained active armor tanking.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#215 - 2013-01-22 01:05:44 UTC
fukier wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:

-Liang

assuming that the aar with be eq or less to a medium armor rep i can fit electrons with a 1600

~electrons~

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

fukier
Gallente Federation
#216 - 2013-01-22 01:13:54 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:
fukier wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:

-Liang

~electrons~

its not that bad with heat on and hamerheads i get 660 dps

plus 50k ehp so not bad

i can fit the rig thing if i have a plus 3 pg inplant plus a pg rig...

i dunno i am trying to make the best out of the situation i guessUgh
Iyacia Cyric'ai
Lai Dai Counterintelligence
#217 - 2013-01-22 01:16:34 UTC
fukier wrote:
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:

ok so what are you thinking for a brutix?

aar and 1600?

upon reflection the aar might be usefull with a buffer tank...

I'll have to wait for stats to see if they fit, but I imagine it'll be useful even in combination with an 800.
Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#218 - 2013-01-22 01:16:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Veshta Yoshida
Incursus will be impossible to kill .. utterly impossible .. if it changes one repairer and installs the new rig.

Each cycle will pull back 315 points of armour, hilariously more than half the base armour of the hull .. for as long as the repper has charges it will in essence behave as if it had a dedicated Inquisitor supporting it (almost anyway) ..... and it still has room for a second vanilla repper as well as injector.

Is that really the intention?

As for plates .. severely disappointed to be honest, lower mass penalty is good but had hoped you'd tweak the fittings upwards a tad .. they are stupidly easy to fit compared to active rep, so easy in fact that oversizing is the norm and has been for a long time, it is not uncommon to see frigs with 400's, cruisers with 1600's and BC with 2-3x1600.
Keep in mind that active rep on a 'pro' level requires cap support (injector) for most fights other than ganks and as insurance against neuting.

So now that we know what the idea/concept is, lets discuss a replacement for the Gallente repair bonus Smile
Liang Nuren wrote:
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:

-Liang

[Brutix, ]
Medium Armor Repairer I
800mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Damage Control II
2x Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Scrambler II
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
[empty med slot] choose your poison .. would go for twin or TD .. ~50 grid left

7x Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M

2x Medium Ancillary Current Router I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I (place holder for new rig)

Funny thing is the repairer, just 4 heated cycles and it adds more armour than a 1600 plate would have added .. kind of nasty.
Dominia Yizkor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#219 - 2013-01-22 01:22:14 UTC
Richard Stallmanu Stallmania wrote:
Fozzie, I truly love you for the new ship balances.

But allow me to speak my mind here.

The new push towards "Ancillary"/Burst tank mods does one thing, it leaves the "traditional" form of that tanking in the dust.
Ancillary booster's killed traditional active shield tanks.
Ancillary Armor Reppers will kill traditional active armor tanks.

Remember ASB Cyclones/Slieps/Maelstroms?
Yeah. No one wants that to come back. It was boring, and generally stupid.

What will happen post AAR's? Same stuff. One fit that has silly numbers and that everyone will be using.

In addition, CCP is listening to the foaming at the mouth forum posters that believe "Off-grid links" are "super mega overpowered", when in reality, like everything else in Eve, are an advantage gained via SP investment and ISK investment.
So once that change rolls into effect, there will be ZERO reason to use any traditional active tank, as off-grid links were the only thing that made them viable.

Please buff the TRADITIONAL style of active tanking. All the necessary mods, ships, fittings, and skills are already in place.

How do you do this? Easy.

Reduce cap usage on traditional shield boosters.
Reduce cycle time on armor repairers.

This makes both types of tanking very similar in function, but those with armor tanks will have the "Crowd-Control" provided by utility mid-slots, and active shield will boast more DPS at the cost of "Crowd-Control".

Adding new modules invalidates the use of the old.

I would like to bump this and see if Fozzie would kindly address these points (not the links part ofc) since I think this guy has some decent ideas, or at least ideas worth being addressed.
Vess Starfire
Interfrequencies
#220 - 2013-01-22 01:25:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Vess Starfire
I don't think the problems with armour tanking in PVE are adequately addressed by these changes. Let me explain...

Solo PVE in armour is currently worse than shield because the "gank" of armour ships is limited by the need for a reasonable "tank". Unlike a shield ship where the gank & tank use different slots armour ships complete to fit both in the lows, and in PVE the mids are relatively useless. So armour needs a big boost to hit parity with shield.

And how to do this? I think you have the right idea because your changes are focused on reducing the number of lowslots that an armour tank needs. This leaves more room for damage mods. Two of your proposed changes help solo PVE:

Firstly, since active tanks no longer have a speed penalty let's assume you can replace a hardener with AB to speed/sigtank instead. Yay, one free low slot for gank! But of course when you're flying with hybrid or laser turrents AB reduces your DPS too, and it really only reduces incoming damage from BS rats. Speed tanking helps drone boats but not hybrid/laser boats.

Secondly I guess you expect the AAR to be used in PVE sites to tank full room aggro while killing primary DPS sources. Then once the charges are gone the ongoing damage is low enough that your 0.75 repper can sustain. Nice idea! It means dual rep ships can become single-AAR and frees up another lowslot. But the AAR needs to reload occasionally, and you can't stop repping for 60secs in PVE unless you've cleared the room. That's fine, but what about PVE content without rooms, like anoms and other exploration types? Suddenly the AAR is not going to work.

tl;dr
I feel there are two potential savings in lowslots for solo PVE players who armour tank (replace hardener with AB, and replace dual-rep with single-AAR). But both have limited applicability and are not easy gains for armour tankers. High SP characters in Ishtars can take advantage of both, but low-SP chars in turrent-based t1 cruisers & BCs are no better off than before. Aren't these changes meant to help them too?

My suggestions for additional improvements: Straight buff to RAH cap usage (3.2 same as invuln so cruisers can use it), max resist (75%, stack with hardeners) and shift amount (10%, so it becomes effective in 20-30secs rather than halfway through your AAR cycle). Rework AAR mechanics so that it can be useful in PVE which doesn't have rooms where you can idle on a gate reloading.