These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Do many EVE players fear consentual PvP?

Author
FourierTransformer
#61 - 2013-01-21 20:19:54 UTC
Aza Ebanu wrote:

You must be blind or something. A duel is consensual PVP without a sec hit where you and another player can duel without the interruption of another player. Bad attitudes are game breaking and there is no point or need for that either.

As per the CSM minutes, the proposed dueling mechanic would allow for neutral reps at the cost of suspect status and ganking as it is available throughout all of hisec currently. Nowhere has there been a proposed mechanic that would prevent outside player intervention.

I'll reiterate my earlier point. The proposed mechanic is scarcely any different than the can flipping duels available before crimewatch. The only noticeable change is that the mechanics are now more transparent.
Rordan D'Kherr
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#62 - 2013-01-21 20:20:28 UTC
Sura Sadiva wrote:
Aza Ebanu wrote:

Can't your ship can't be prepared for PVE/ Industry and PVP. Must be those darn broken game mechanics again.

Aye. Point is:

industry/trading gameplay is brutal in EvE:

"you don't like my prices? Then GTFO and buy somewhere else"
"What? you made wrong market investiments and lost your money? Train your skill more and learn to platy, nobody will cuddle you"

It's in no way consensual.This is fine, and accepted by everyone.

But, for some odd reason, when it comes to piracy, wars, military aggressions and so on the same brutality is not accepted and everything is suposed to be fair and gentle. Like:

- "Pardon me, Sir, I'd like to stick a Nova Torpedo in your ass. Would you be so nice to consent to this?"
- "Of course my noble friends, only give me 30 minutes to fit the proper modules on my ship and let's do it in a safe, private place where nobody will bother us"

Made my day Big smile

But true though.

Don't be scared, because being afk is not a crime.

Sid Hudgens
Doomheim
#63 - 2013-01-21 20:33:04 UTC
Good god some of you people are ******* dense.

People used to be able to "duel" by stealing from each other's cans in highsec, thereby allowing both of them to attack the other without getting concorded. The new crimewatch system removed the ability to do this. CCP, not wanting to be jerks and telling people who like to 1v1 to **** off, are adding this dueling stuff in to allow people to DO THE SAME THING THEY WERE DOING BEFORE.

Stop freaking out ... you all look like idiots.

Just to be clear ... dueling is not a new feature, it is replacing a feature removed with crimewatch.

Honestly you're all like my sister's kids:

"Want to try a bite of this pear?"
"No I don't like pears! ... ... ... what's a pear?"

"....as if 10,058 Goon voices cried out and were suddenly silenced."

Renzo Ruderi
Doomheim
#64 - 2013-01-21 20:49:00 UTC
"Consensual PvP" - World of Tanks. In Space.

No thank you.
Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#65 - 2013-01-21 21:30:34 UTC
Sid Hudgens wrote:
Good god some of you people are ******* dense.

People used to be able to "duel" by stealing from each other's cans in highsec, thereby allowing both of them to attack the other without getting concorded. The new crimewatch system removed the ability to do this. CCP, not wanting to be jerks and telling people who like to 1v1 to **** off, are adding this dueling stuff in to allow people to DO THE SAME THING THEY WERE DOING BEFORE.

Stop freaking out ... you all look like idiots.

Just to be clear ... dueling is not a new feature, it is replacing a feature removed with crimewatch.

Honestly you're all like my sister's kids:

"Want to try a bite of this pear?"
"No I don't like pears! ... ... ... what's a pear?"

And the exact same CONCORD protection that currently exists would presumably also be active when people are fighting 1v1 in some kind of 'arena' system. I'm not sure where people got the idea they'd get special protection. Probably just pulled it out of their ass to build a strawman from. P

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#66 - 2013-01-21 21:35:51 UTC
Bane Necran wrote:
And the exact same CONCORD protection that currently exists would presumably also be active when people are fighting 1v1 in some kind of 'arena' system. I'm not sure where people got the idea they'd get special protection.
Mainly from the people who think that duelling inherently means non-intervention from outside parties for whatever reason.

They think “duel” and believe that they should be given the same kind of duelling instances lesser games offer.
Aza Ebanu
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#67 - 2013-01-21 21:49:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Aza Ebanu
well if you want to suicide a well tanked ship I guess. But you need outside protection otherwise there wouldn't be much of a duel from griefer ganking. To fix make a deadspace warp point that the duelist warp to and disable fleets.
Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#68 - 2013-01-21 21:53:03 UTC
Their is no such thing as non-consensual pvp, you make it consensual when you login.

The Tears Must Flow

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#69 - 2013-01-21 21:58:27 UTC
Vaju Enki wrote:
Their is no such thing as non-consensual pvp, you make it consensual when you login.

Yes, repeat the mantra. Stop all thought.

This might blow your mind, but even people who consent to being attacked by someone else, can still be attacked by other people who they do not consent to. Nothing is really changing whatsoever, so everyone can stop thinking this is some kind of insult to what they see as the ideological foundation of EVE.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#70 - 2013-01-21 21:59:50 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Why have an arena for two teams, when nothing can be allowed to restrict others to enter that arena and interfere at will?

Its the same reason they actually have CCP sanctioned tournements (remember those) that are held in Jovian space where random 3rd parties can't just randomly show up and interfere.

Simply adding an arena and duels won't take away from non-consensual pvp. I mean, FW is basically consensual pvp already and you don't see people upset about that.

It is simply another layer of depth to EvE that would be interesting to see.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#71 - 2013-01-21 22:16:50 UTC
Bane Necran wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:

Yes, repeat the mantra. Stop all thought.

This might blow your mind, but even people who consent to being attacked by someone else, can still be attacked by other people who they do not consent to. Nothing is really changing whatsoever, so everyone can stop thinking this is some kind of insult to what they see as the ideological foundation of EVE.

You are very confused...
I know it's hard for themepark extraordinaire players to adapt sandbox mmo-rpg's, but this is getting ridiculous.

The Tears Must Flow

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#72 - 2013-01-21 22:26:37 UTC
Vaju Enki wrote:
I know it's hard for themepark extraordinaire players to adapt sandbox mmo-rpg's, but this is getting ridiculous.

I made this character 8 years ago.

*sets fire to another strawman*

Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#73 - 2013-01-21 22:29:54 UTC
Bane Necran wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:

I made this character 8 years ago.

*sets fire to another strawman*

It's even worse than i thought, poor fellow...

The Tears Must Flow

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#74 - 2013-01-21 23:13:38 UTC
Vaju Enki wrote:

Interesting definition of consensual PvP. I can only guess it's limited to Eve because I can't think of any other situation where ill intent of others who may be in a place is something I automatically consent to by being there.

I've never consented to the destruction of my ships, I've just been aware it could happen and at times unable to prevent it.
Ila Gant
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#75 - 2013-01-21 23:18:17 UTC
There is no non-consensual PvP in EvE. Undocking is consent.
Aza Ebanu
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#76 - 2013-01-21 23:38:36 UTC
Ila Gant wrote:

Sure there is. There is "Mutual" wars, both sides consent to unrestricted combat-PVP. That marketing mubojumbo sounds great at fanfest though, but if it were true there wouldn't be a high sec and there wouldn't be penalties.
Ila Gant
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#77 - 2013-01-21 23:44:08 UTC
Aza Ebanu wrote:
Ila Gant wrote:

Sure there is. There is "Mutual" wars, both sides consent to unrestricted combat-PVP. That marketing mubojumbo sounds great at fanfest though, but if it were true there wouldn't be a high sec and there wouldn't be penalties.

Eve is about consequences. If you get into a brawl in a bar downtown, you probably get picked up by the police and sent to jail. Firing without permission from Concord has roughly the same consequences. You expose yourself to the possibility of someone throwing that illegal punch when you undock.

Would be interesting if the police got to blow up your car for getting into a fight, though.
Josef Djugashvilis
#78 - 2013-01-21 23:44:39 UTC
Want some - one on one?

Just find somewhere quiet and get to it.

No need for a new mechanic to facilitate it.

This is not a signature.

Eternum Praetorian
Doomheim
#79 - 2013-01-21 23:50:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternum Praetorian
Yes of course they do.

If people wanted fair fights and consenting targets then they would be going out of their way to find them now--with the current game mechanics. The game as it is now does not forbid consent and an equal playing field. It is just that the eve player base consists primarily of opportunistic people who talk a big game but actuality cry a river whenever they lose.

So yes.

[center]The EVE Gateway Blog[/center] [center]One Of EVE Online's Ultimate Resources[/center]

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#80 - 2013-01-21 23:50:57 UTC
Ila Gant wrote:
Aza Ebanu wrote:
Ila Gant wrote:

Eve is about consequences. If you get into a brawl in a bar downtown, you probably get picked up by the police and sent to jail. Firing without permission from Concord has roughly the same consequences. You expose yourself to the possibility of someone throwing that illegal punch when you undock.

Would be interesting if the police got to blow up your car for getting into a fight, though.

Subjecting oneself to the possibility isn't the same as consenting to someone actually committing the act. In many cases the act of dwelling in highsec is prompted by the reduced risk that someone will throw that punch to begin with, which is pretty much the opposite of consent.