These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev blog: You have insulted my honor - I demand satisfaction! Dueling comes to EVE Online

First post First post
Author
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#221 - 2013-01-17 22:33:53 UTC
Rordan D'Kherr wrote:
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Shereza wrote:
Low-sec low-level complexes have, apparently, already created an arena-like atmosphere.


I'm sorry, you mean those plexes that were removed from lowsec due to "metrics showing farming in hisec"? Plexes which disappeared because of change that was smuggled into Retribution without any warning and annihilated huge chunk of lowsec pvp. Those plexes?


I bet that duel mode will boost lowsec pvp to a new level. Ugh


We will be dueling over belt rats dropping Tags4Secs.

Invalid signature format

Alticus C Bear
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#222 - 2013-01-17 22:35:05 UTC
I hate the term duel, I would really just prefer them referred to as limited engagements.

There should be an auto reject tick box, this should default to on for new players.

You should not be able to request a limited engagement while in fleet.

If you fleet afterwards you and the fleet mate should get the global suspect flag.

How does setting up a 3 v 3 work, do you need to request one against each player and them against each player is that 9 requests total, will this result in different limited engagement timer lengths?

I would prefer a multiple player engagement UI interface with two sides were you can drag pilot names into the two sides. The interface could do a fleet check on each member to ensure each team is only in fleet with each other. You could also have the facility to add multiple sides for even more mayhem.
Rordan D'Kherr
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#223 - 2013-01-17 22:43:11 UTC
Alticus C Bear wrote:


I would prefer a multiple player engagement UI interface with two sides were you can drag pilot names into the two sides. The interface could do a fleet check on each member to ensure each team is only in fleet with each other. You could also have the facility to add multiple sides for even more mayhem.


You're talking about an arena?

Don't be scared, because being afk is not a crime.

fukier
Brave Collective
#224 - 2013-01-17 22:47:14 UTC
Alticus C Bear wrote:
I hate the term duel,



i coined it as concord sanction pvp contracts...

or cspc

cuss it sounds more eveish...
At the end of the game both the pawn and the Queen go in the same box.
Alticus C Bear
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#225 - 2013-01-17 22:56:00 UTC
Rordan D'Kherr wrote:
Alticus C Bear wrote:


I would prefer a multiple player engagement UI interface with two sides were you can drag pilot names into the two sides. The interface could do a fleet check on each member to ensure each team is only in fleet with each other. You could also have the facility to add multiple sides for even more mayhem.


You're talking about an arena?


I am in two minds about the whole thing to be honest really feel it may harm the game more than benefit it.

However it sounds like the mechanics will pretty much be there and this is the route CCP is going down. In that case the interface should be as good as possible.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#226 - 2013-01-17 23:01:07 UTC
can I do a 1v1v...v1? or a 2v1? and if someone reps someone else but everyone is also a target will they still go suspect?

I miss being able to do light shows with out of corp alts :(

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Souxie Alduin
Anarchy in the Eve
#227 - 2013-01-17 23:04:58 UTC
Chribba wrote:
I prefer mining lasers! No surprise huh?


"Chribba vs. Veldspar... FIGHT!"


PS. My personal weapon of choice would be the Spork.
Cordo Draken
ABOS Industrial Enterprises
#228 - 2013-01-17 23:12:35 UTC
YES PLEASE!!!

Thank you!

P.s. Why did this simple concept take sooo long to bring to reality?

Whomever said, "You only get one shot to make a good impression," was utterly wrong. I've made plenty of great impressions with my Autocannons 

Rordan D'Kherr
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#229 - 2013-01-17 23:39:59 UTC
Cordo Draken wrote:
YES PLEASE!!!

Thank you!

P.s. Why did this simple concept take sooo long to bring to reality?


Because it weakens

- the purpose of wardecs,
- the meaning of hisec vs. low /null and
- the sandbox approach at all.

Don't be scared, because being afk is not a crime.

Trinkets friend
Sudden Buggery
Sending Thots And Players
#230 - 2013-01-17 23:50:25 UTC
I think the idea of blocking duel requests while in fleets is neccessary. I have a hard enough time getting my gang to do what I want at the best of times, I don't neccessarily want people becoming involved in escalating neutral-RRing OGBing duelling shennanigans while part of a fleet which may drag the whole fleet in.

I think and duel request directed at a fleeted member should go to the fleet boss for approval. That way the person responsible for, eg, 20 ships, doesn't get his guys being derpfarts and spreading escalations in stupid ways.
Arduemont
The State of War.
#231 - 2013-01-18 00:04:54 UTC



Although I do not object to this mechanic, this man's words ring pretty true right now.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#232 - 2013-01-18 00:14:19 UTC
Rordan D'Kherr wrote:
Cordo Draken wrote:
YES PLEASE!!!

Thank you!

P.s. Why did this simple concept take sooo long to bring to reality?


Because it weakens

- the purpose of wardecs,
- the meaning of hisec vs. low /null and
- the sandbox approach at all.

Ok, must ask. Please explain how a consensual 1v1 mechanic which ends after 5 min of inactivity weakens:
- A mechanic which non-consensually gives one group the ability to engage another and the other group the ability to retaliate for an entire week (what situation would you ever use one in place of the other?)
- The meaning of highsec and Concord which already can be turned off at will via the suspect flag but can now be done more selectively (same as pre crimewatch 2.0)
- A sandbox by actually providing MORE options on how to fight someone
Montevius Williams
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#233 - 2013-01-18 00:20:55 UTC
Qaidan Alenko wrote:
I don't know why... But I have a bad feeling about this...


Why? WOuld you prefer the current can flipping mechanic?

"The American Government indoctrination system known as public education has been relentlessly churning out socialists for over 20 years". - TravisWB

fukier
Brave Collective
#234 - 2013-01-18 00:29:08 UTC
Rordan D'Kherr wrote:
Cordo Draken wrote:
YES PLEASE!!!

Thank you!

P.s. Why did this simple concept take sooo long to bring to reality?


Because it weakens

- the purpose of wardecs,
- the meaning of hisec vs. low /null and
- the sandbox approach at all.


you can wardec a npc corp now?

you used to be able to can flip to duel now you can again

how does this affect the sandbox? if anything it adds to the sandbox...
you can still cheat lie and steal still have regular non consentual pvp against anyone...
At the end of the game both the pawn and the Queen go in the same box.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#235 - 2013-01-18 00:30:02 UTC
Alticus C Bear wrote:
I hate the term duel, I would really just prefer them referred to as limited engagements.

There should be an auto reject tick box, this should default to on for new players.

You should not be able to request a limited engagement while in fleet.

If you fleet afterwards you and the fleet mate should get the global suspect flag.

How does setting up a 3 v 3 work, do you need to request one against each player and them against each player is that 9 requests total, will this result in different limited engagement timer lengths?

I would prefer a multiple player engagement UI interface with two sides were you can drag pilot names into the two sides. The interface could do a fleet check on each member to ensure each team is only in fleet with each other. You could also have the facility to add multiple sides for even more mayhem.

Yes 9 requests total, 3 from each player on one side, all aimed at the players on the other side. It will be a bit annoying as the players receiving the requests have to accept before they can get another, which means those issuing the requests will get alot of "blocked" messages.

After that you can fight. Note that if you do not shoot an opponent for 5 minutes (less them time it took to get all the requests set up), he drops off your list as a valid target. In situations much bigger than 3 v 3 or so this will become an issue. The last person gets called primary, and you cannot shoot him because its taken more than 5 minutes to take care of the setup and killing everyone else.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

PaNtHeeRa
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#236 - 2013-01-18 00:33:48 UTC
Vera Coen wrote:
Malrock wrote:
All fine for fun, but please, put into generic option a checkmark for auto decline all duel requests.

Thank You.


^^ This


This This


Oh, and work on battlecruisers, battleships, cap ships, and pos stuff.
Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#237 - 2013-01-18 00:48:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Pahrdi
Tippia wrote:
Rordan D'Kherr wrote:
Duels in hisec
…have existed since roughly forever. Why are people so upset that they're restoring lost functionality? Is it because the issuer can't call in the help from his logi alts with impunity any more?

Maybe because the solution they chose is anything but immersive. Contrary to the one that existed before. It may have been clumsy, but at least you had to interact more with your environment.

Remove standings and insurance.

fukier
Brave Collective
#238 - 2013-01-18 01:04:07 UTC
Mara Pahrdi wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Rordan D'Kherr wrote:
Duels in hisec
…have existed since roughly forever. Why are people so upset that they're restoring lost functionality? Is it because the issuer can't call in the help from his logi alts with impunity any more?

Maybe because the solution they chose is anything but immersive. Contrary to the one that existed before. It may have been clumsy, but at least you had to interact more with your environment.


hmm old way click the mouse over something...

new way click the mouse over something...

yeah totally see your point there dude,,,,
At the end of the game both the pawn and the Queen go in the same box.
Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#239 - 2013-01-18 01:14:55 UTC
ugh, bad idea.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#240 - 2013-01-18 01:41:29 UTC
Mara Pahrdi wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Rordan D'Kherr wrote:
Duels in hisec
…have existed since roughly forever. Why are people so upset that they're restoring lost functionality? Is it because the issuer can't call in the help from his logi alts with impunity any more?

Maybe because the solution they chose is anything but immersive. Contrary to the one that existed before. It may have been clumsy, but at least you had to interact more with your environment.

This argument seems really subjective and pre 2.0 use of stealing from cans seemed unimmersive to me. Engaging in a fight requiring petty theft beforehand?