These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How EVE Became Obsolete (And why CCP hasn’t noticed)

First post
Author
Commander Ted
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#301 - 2013-01-10 08:46:14 UTC
I only play games on the ipad when taking a ****. I don't spend 6 hours a day playing angry birds.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=174097 Separate all 4 empires in eve with lowsec.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#302 - 2013-01-10 09:48:09 UTC
"There is certainly a market for that as well, but again, there's that market where the physical buttons and the controls are very important for that intuitive and intricate gameplay control."

http://au.gamespot.com/news/console-business-here-to-stay-says-sony-ceo-6402172

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

OffBeaT
State War Academy
Caldari State
#303 - 2013-01-10 09:55:10 UTC
yess well, I know my Raven/cal BC have become obsolete.. ShockedTwisted
Hir Miriel
Elves In Space
#304 - 2013-01-10 10:53:23 UTC
When CCP starts developing EVE without using desktops then I might worry about the future of desktops.

Function is why I use desktops, my fingers are too large for small gadgetry. A keyboard works for me.

And if EVE dives headlong into letting players do their own CREST API and other development then all that is better done at a more ergonomically friendly desktop.

Even if it is developing EVE apps for phones.

And that is where I find the future interesting.

Why should the devs get all the fun of the game development game? Good to see they are willing to share.

~ ~~ Thinking inside Schrodinger's sandbox. ~~ ~

Abu Tarynnia
Kings-Guard
Sigma Grindset
#305 - 2013-01-10 11:12:44 UTC
What about parts of EVE that are not in space ? Like skill-queue, PI, station-trading ... this should be easily solvable for smart-phones/tablets/whatsoever.
And further more I think we witness the last days of desktops though I prefer them. The next generation doesn't know desktops .. at most they use laptops ... and that's the beginning of the end ;)

YOU CANNOT HAVE MY STUFF!!!!

iskflakes
#306 - 2013-01-10 11:15:50 UTC
Abu Tarynnia wrote:
What about parts of EVE that are not in space ? Like skill-queue, PI, station-trading ... this should be easily solvable for smart-phones/tablets/whatsoever.

CCP have been developing a new API to let players write their own apps for this kind of thing. Unfortunately there are some serious licensing issues that make it nearly impossible to work with.

-

TharOkha
0asis Group
#307 - 2013-01-10 11:46:28 UTC  |  Edited by: TharOkha
Abu Tarynnia wrote:

This is something that i wolud like to see on portable devices too.

Quote:
And further more I think we witness the last days of desktops though I prefer them. The next generation doesn't know desktops .. at most they use laptops ... and that's the beginning of the end ;)

Oh please not this again Shocked. Read the whole thread again and youll find that desktops are not going anywhere and why (hint1, hint2 ) In fact, we are hearing this mayan apocalypse of desktops predictions since 1980s.
luZk
Fivrelde Corp
#308 - 2013-01-10 12:28:06 UTC
Congratulations you have started the the "EVE is dying thread" number 10.000. it's been 10 long years on the way, let's take a look on a few highlights from past years...

http://i.imgur.com/1dl4DM6.jpg

Thomas Gore
Blackfyre Enterprise
#309 - 2013-01-10 12:31:17 UTC
PCs are like boobs. The big ones are always in fashion.
Una Achura
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#310 - 2013-01-10 12:46:04 UTC
This made me put on Wierd Al again.

"About as useful as JPEGs to Hellen Keller"

It's all about the pentiums
Komari Vosa
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#311 - 2013-01-10 12:47:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Komari Vosa
I see CCP addressing these issues with such things as the new developer api. Over the years eve players have asked for many things. Features such as skill training, market, and contracts allowing for access from mobile devices. Imagine being able to connect through touch screen devices in order to interact with all aspects of eve short of the actual gameplay. There are many players that rarely undock from stations because all they take part in are the aspects of the game that don't involve the actual "space ships". I can see this also tied in with Dust 514 interaction.

This would allow ccp to accomplish another first in the area of mmo gameplay. Imagine always being able to check the market and your buy/sell orders anywhere in the game. The ability to create courier missions to get those goods from system to system. The ability to monitor and manipulate your planetary interaction from anywhere. Chat with your corp mates, check/create eve mails. Buy/Sell connects or check on the contract auction you have made / are bidding on. The blue prints you are copying/researching or the factory slots you have manufacturing.

All of this from your mobile device. I am sure there are a few things I missed that would fit into this new world order of computing.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#312 - 2013-01-10 13:25:10 UTC
Una Achura wrote:
This made me put on Wierd Al again.

"About as useful as JPEGs to Hellen Keller"

It's all about the pentiums

Thank you for making me smile. I needed that tonight. Really bad day.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

King Rothgar
Deadly Solutions
#313 - 2013-01-10 14:04:55 UTC
9/10. Well done sir!

[u]Fireworks and snowballs are great, but what I really want is a corpse launcher.[/u]

Gitanmaxx
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#314 - 2013-01-10 15:59:16 UTC
I know some of you use linux, I've got a friend who swore by it until I got him to try os x. But in all honesty you are a tiny minority. Most pc owners don't like having to mess with their os constantly. I use linux for recovery and if I need to use someone elses system, i throw in my linux usb. But it's never going to outsell windows.

As for touch screen, that could work but I don't see eve going that route. Really the only gaming machines that are going to continue selling in mass quantities are consoles. I know all the pc purists hate that, it's how it is though.
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#315 - 2013-01-10 16:05:44 UTC
Eh, I use Linux because I don't have to mess with it constantly.

OS X would be good, too, but I don't have hardware for that except at work.

Having not maintained Windows myself in over a decade, I'd have quite the learning curve. In fact my laptop only runs Linux since I managed to brick the Windows 7 installation trying to get the driver and security updates installed.

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

Abu Tarynnia
Kings-Guard
Sigma Grindset
#316 - 2013-01-10 16:13:39 UTC
TharOkha wrote:

Oh please not this again Shocked. Read the whole thread again and youll find that desktops are not going anywhere and why (hint1, hint2 ) In fact, we are hearing this mayan apocalypse of desktops predictions since 1980s.

It was just what I recogniced when I was a teacher .. the kids ran around with laptops .. most with tablets ... and yes, I think this is madness .. and not sparta.

YOU CANNOT HAVE MY STUFF!!!!

Sebastian N Cain
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#317 - 2013-01-10 16:40:39 UTC
Sergeant Acht Scultz wrote:
TharOkha wrote:
Le Badass wrote:

According to Ramiel, programmers always make the fullest possible use of the hardware available, so you won't have to compromise on anything control/interface-wise when the mobile client does hit.

Bullsh!t. Just look at Crysis2 or Diablo3.

EVE is maybe the last true PC game without any compromises.

Christ, Eve is that last remaining this, the last remaining that, the top of this, the hard core of that... I say BS!!

You can't simply download it and make it work without issues, or it's 1 machine over a couple ones with no issues.
We're a lot of costumers with issues to run even a single account properly with hardware perfectly capable to run several accounts when other guys seem to have no problem at all, so I'd like to know from some genius, how the heck is this even possible on good machines, updated, download the same client and have different results?

Eve it's like oranges, when you download your client you never know if it's sweet or bitter Lol

Well, on PC you have billions of possible combinations for hardware/software. A dev can´t possible check up all of them. So there might be sloppily written drivers from a specific manufacturer that create issues with the eve-client. Or sloppily written drivers that create issues with the OS. And of course hardware that theoretically has good specs, but is actually garbage and you won´t get the expected performance out of it. And sometimes it doesn´t work because the universe just hates you.

I got lost in thought... it was unfamiliar territory.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#318 - 2013-01-11 01:42:37 UTC
Gitanmaxx wrote:
I know some of you use linux, I've got a friend who swore by it until I got him to try os x. But in all honesty you are a tiny minority. Most pc owners don't like having to mess with their os constantly. I use linux for recovery and if I need to use someone elses system, i throw in my linux usb. But it's never going to outsell windows.

As for touch screen, that could work but I don't see eve going that route. Really the only gaming machines that are going to continue selling in mass quantities are consoles. I know all the pc purists hate that, it's how it is though.

Linux is never going to outsell anything. It's free. The PC purists have their own problems - I'm a multi-platform user, btw, and dual boot both Linux and Windows, something I would encourage anyone familiar with Linux to do. The thing is, they complement each other. I also own both PS3 and an Xbox 360, and enjoy them as much as I do my PC. The only things I avoid are Nintendo (because the Wii is more of a social toy, and I'm not that social) and anything by Apple (for reasons that if I went into them, it would cause a heated debate, which I would prefer to avoid for the moment). IMO, and remember that means "opinion" so by its very nature I don't care if you disagree with me, Mac and anything starting with "i" sucks. And yes, I have used them, like I mentioned I'm not trying to start a debate, and trying to convince me otherwise will be pointless, because I have made up my mind.

However, even if I did use Mac, I wouldn't need it, because Win7 and Linux Mint 13 complement each other in ways I never thought possible. Not only can I access the drive partition that both OS exist on from either OS, but fiddling with a few extra layers in Linux actually allows me to run windows programs on linux straight out of my windows partition.

Hrothgar Nilsson
#319 - 2013-01-11 17:19:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Hrothgar Nilsson
Ageck Kalenia wrote:
All this attention might suggest the future of EVE is rosy and bright, but consider:

- The future of traditional x86 and x64 PC architecture is increasingly vague. Laptops have been outselling desktop systems for years, but tablet sales are gaining exponentially. A whopping 122 million ARM-based tablets and smartphones sold in 2012.

I really think all of this talk about tablets/touchscreens replacing the PC/laptop is a bunch of hype. I believe the reality is is that desktops and laptops have reached the point of market saturation, and as the market has become saturated, existing PC/laptop has slowed.

There hasn't really been that much of a technological change in software that necessarily requires the replacement of a 2008 computer in 2013. Yet, on the other hand, there is extremely rapid turnover in ownership of smartphones - the typical person goes through several in the time a typical PC/laptop owner replaces their computer.

The entire cell phone industry heavily incentivizes the rapid, serial discardment of old phones and replacement with new ones.

So, in that regard, comparing smartphone to PC/laptop sales is a false comparison. It is really apples and oranges. On the spectrum between disposable and durable goods, smartphones tend toward the disposable end, while PCs/laptops tend toward the durable end. Something like 130 million cell phones are discarded each year in the US, whereas computers are discarded at about 10-15% that rate.

With tablets, they may be replacing the laptop for consumers with relatively minimal needs, but I'd say this segment of the consumer place are mostly not the type of people who were intensive gamers to begin with.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#320 - 2013-01-11 22:07:20 UTC
Oh look, a stealth "PC gaming is dead" thread. I remember having this coversation 15 years ago, around the time to Playstation 2 or xBox was announced.

PC gaming isn't dead. Eve isn't obsolete. Both will evolve.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.