These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Doing everything, training everything.

First post
Author
Jemar Tzitzimitl
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-12-29 10:52:34 UTC
I would probably go with a train as you go plan. meaning if a particular week you feel like being a miner lvl those skills. If next week you feel like being a trade, then lvl those related skills. This way you can enjoy yourself more with better skills if you decide to stay on that focus/profession longer than expected. Also like other have said core competency is a great start.
Senshi Hawk
It is really us
Beyond the Breach
#22 - 2012-12-29 14:41:40 UTC
Maire Gheren wrote:
It means you won't be able to do very well on anything, and you'll be bad for a very long time as it literally takes decades to learn everything.
Get good at something, then get good at something else, and so on.

That is a load of crap. My old CEO told me the same thing when i was a newbie and he was wrong. The only delay or downfall that I have encountered being a jack of all trades character is the ability to fly a capital ship within a reasonable time frame. Nothing else. And that to me is a fair trade for the other diversified roles a toon like this acquires along the way.
Fractal Muse
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2012-12-29 15:03:03 UTC
To chime in here for other new players: Don't get hung up about having "perfect" skills or listen to anyone who says you need to specialize immediately or else you won't be good.

The way the skill system works in EVE means that having a skill at level 3 is "okay", having a skill at level 4 is "good", and having a skill at level 5 is "awesome." So while you will want to, eventually, bring skills to level 5 the time it takes to train level 5 skills is huge. That means you can get good at a lot and try out a lot before deciding if there is even value to you to bring a skill to 5.

Sometimes it is better to have more skills at level 4 than a few skills at level 5 - it gives you more options and you can try out a lot more stuff.

So, all that to say to the OP: Go for it. EVE is a game so have fun.
Gilion Braveheart
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2012-12-29 19:07:54 UTC
as a newbie myself I dont have much advise to give but since I also want to go down this path of: not being very good at one thing but being good enough at everything, I though I could tell you a few things that other people have already told me.

As was stated by many people this role will take much longer to get you places but if you like diversity it could be a lot of fun. One thing you should do is pick a profession (im going to start mining soon) and train that up just as a start so you can have something to do and a source of income while you train your other skills. Mining is a good start as everyone needs ore and if you can multitask then you can mine and watch some tutorials online. Just make sure you keep your game volume up so if someone tries to lock on to you, then you will know you should do something about it.

Also, im not entirely sure about this but I have a feeling that this role could make buying clones very expensive since we are going to be training so many skills.

Joining a player Corp might also be helpful if you find the right one.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and hopefully ill see you out there doing good work so I know that im an idiot for following this style too :P
Taya Savah
Doomheim
#25 - 2012-12-30 02:12:26 UTC
I havent had much time to spend on EVE with all these end of the worlds, holidays, and adding +1 to year, but I sure have had time to fill up my skill queue every day! I'm loving my salvage drones too, after I've missile'd a site of puny mission pirates.

I was kinda looking forward to take up some mining skills to fly a bigger miner but I noticed it's the one ship type where you need a couple of lvl5 skills before you can even fly the "next" dedicated mining ship?

Other than that I've been quite happy with my doing a bit of everything plan for now, but I think I'll skip mining for a while, at least with bigger ships. With Venture it's a bit too low on profits, doing level 1 and 2 missions gives more credits currently with salvaging involved, compared to filling up Venture with hi-sec minerals. Though it's easier to mine while watching telly or chatting with friends so it has it's purposes :)
Senshi Hawk
It is really us
Beyond the Breach
#26 - 2012-12-30 11:40:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Senshi Hawk
Taya Savah wrote:
I was kinda looking forward to take up some mining skills to fly a bigger miner but I noticed it's the one ship type where you need a couple of lvl5 skills before you can even fly the "next" dedicated mining ship?

Other than that I've been quite happy with my doing a bit of everything plan for now, but I think I'll skip mining for a while, at least with bigger ships. With Venture it's a bit too low on profits

You hit the nail on the head there. Mining profits are not big enough to justify training heavily into it
(and by heavily I mean level 5s)

Mining 4, Mining Upgrades 4 and a Covetor (Tech 1 mining barge) = 40mil in expenses, modest training
vs
Mining 5, Mining Upgrades 5 and a Hulk (Tech 2 exhumer) = 300mil in expenses, additional 27 days training

It's just not worth it unless you're a specialized mining toon, or have a crapload of skill points already.
Previous page12