These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What's wrong with bumping?

Author
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2012-12-22 12:44:15 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
J3ssica Alba wrote:
Bumping definitely reduces the realism in Eve. Small ships bumping large ones should result in the small ship getting massive damage with maybe a dented armor plate on the large ship, not the large ship moving miles away like it was made of cardboard

So we should all get battleships and smash miners? Or perhaps you only want it one way, so the miners are never hurt?

it's the speed, big SLOW ships bumping each other would at most collapse shields.
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Jess Maine
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#42 - 2012-12-22 14:14:33 UTC
Lahnea wrote:
Sarmea Moon wrote:
This thread is going places.

On the off chance that you are asking a real question: ask yourself- how does someone jump? First they have to align. How hard is it to align if you have been bumped? You aren't going anywhere, no points needed to hold that sucker in place. There are actually ways to avoid getting bumped. but they require a couple scouts with webs, warp in at 100km, take a peek, warp out, you know, actively paying attention and stuff.

If you are referring to miner bumping- they end up getting knocked out of laser range, meaning they can't mine. Ask James 315 about it, I'm sure he'd be happy to explain the details:)

I am asking genuinely, if that's what your trying to say. I knew about bumping miners out of range, but generally I don't see Titans fit for mining. Freighters neither.

Stopping warp makes sense, but how could something bump a titan all the way out of a shield? Surely it could just turn round and fly back in?

Someone needs a lesson on the intertia stats on a Titan, it's like trying to turn a big rig.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#43 - 2012-12-22 15:13:52 UTC
Jess Maine wrote:

Someone needs a lesson on the intertia stats on a Titan, it's like trying to turn a big rig.

I'd have gone with trying to turn a major city on it's axis, titans are truly massive

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#44 - 2012-12-22 18:00:40 UTC
Emu Meo wrote:
Why cant ships cause damage when they crash into one another.

I remember when I was new to the game there were two things which really annoyed me initially. One was warping through planets, and the other was the utterly stupid way that a ship can ram full speed into an object and simply bounce off it. I even stopped playing afterwards and then only took up the game again a few years later.

Next time you undock out of a trade hub... watch the ships. Now think of if damage was involved.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#45 - 2012-12-22 19:59:30 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Emu Meo wrote:

I remember when I was new to the game there were two things which really annoyed me initially. One was warping through planets, and the other was the utterly stupid way that a ship can ram full speed into an object and simply bounce off it. I even stopped playing afterwards and then only took up the game again a few years later.

Next time you undock out of a trade hub... watch the ships. Now think of if damage was involved.

People would learn to spread out and use more of the systems in EVE rather than have them all be pass through?
I mean I would like to see a tally of how many systems are actually used, their relation to the trade hubs, and how many are just pass throughs.
Would be useful to CCP to make that data known at least internally and perhaps shrink the total systems so as to have people bump into each other more as opposed to being the only player for 7 jumps.
Haedonism Bot
People for the Ethical Treatment of Rogue Drones
#46 - 2012-12-22 20:11:44 UTC
I gave miner bumping a shot for an afternoon about a month ago to see what all the hype was about.

Say what you will about it, I don't think I ever laughed so hard playing EVE. Bumping is hilarious good fun. Nobody ever said the game mechanics were supposed to be realistic.Lol

www.everevolutionaryfront.blogspot.com

Vote Sabriz Adoudel and Tora Bushido for CSMX. Keep the Evil in EVE!

Karloth Valois
1st. Pariah Malefactor corp.
The New Eden Yacht Club.
#47 - 2012-12-22 21:26:01 UTC
Who's to blame, James 315 or Goons, For making a 10 year old feature that was very rarely moaned about into one of the most bitched about topics we got on here without CCP actually changing any thing?

I think the fix would be to have ships cause damage if they hit each other, whichin high sec would cause concordokken (because otherwise it could be expoited to gank people) Would that stop everyone moaning about miner bumping, frieghter bumping etc? Because Jita undock would be great fun.

As for titan bumping, I would say thats more annoying for the Titan pilot than the miner being bumped (80bill isk being risked because some idiot hits approach not keep at range) yet you dont often find them here moaning. But then it wouldnt be a proper fleet form-up without the titan pilot screaming "STOP ******* BUMPING THE TITAN YOU NOOBS" down comms

It's not been nice, but thanks for using lube

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#48 - 2012-12-22 21:30:15 UTC
Haedonism Bot wrote:

Say what you will about it, I don't think I ever laughed so hard playing EVE. Bumping is hilarious good fun.

For the same reason there are so many bad comedies made: small minds are too easily and lazily amused.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Emu Meo
Doomheim
#49 - 2012-12-22 22:08:24 UTC
The way ships undock right on top of each other is stupid anyway, if they undocked in a normal manner then you wouldn't have the problem of bumping outside stations anyway. Ships should undock leaving more of a gap, and if there are too many people trying to undock at once then they should be put in a que until it is safe to undock.

I think bumping another ship should just be made more realistic, if not causing damage then at least just cause the shield to reflect the blow in a more realistic manner, and sort out how smaller ships can cause larger ships to go flying without any damage to the smaller ship. If an orca hits into a slasher for instance then it should crush through it without any effect on the orca.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#50 - 2012-12-22 22:52:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Emu Meo wrote:

I think bumping another ship should just be made more realistic, if not causing damage then at least just cause the shield to reflect the blow in a more realistic manner, and sort out how smaller ships can cause larger ships to go flying without any damage to the smaller ship. If an orca hits into a slasher for instance then it should crush through it without any effect on the orca.

The destruction of a ship through bumping would encourage me, and many many others to swarm ships like orcas in many frigates until the target explodes, one may do no damage, many will definitely do damage, much as a swarm of angry bees is capable of killing a man.

TL;DR even if CCP changed the bumping mechanic so that small ships have little impact on larger ones, the larger ships will still be affected, people would just bring more bumps to the party.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Mag's
Azn Empire
#51 - 2012-12-23 07:11:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Haedonism Bot wrote:

Say what you will about it, I don't think I ever laughed so hard playing EVE. Bumping is hilarious good fun.

For the same reason there are so many bad comedies made: small minds are too easily and lazily amused.
So you're basically saying. "Even though what you are doing is part of the game, you shouldn't enjoy it or do it."

Glad I never have to play Chess or any other game with you tbh.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Amarra Mandalin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2012-12-23 09:58:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Amarra Mandalin
Karloth Valois wrote:
Who's to blame, James 315 or Goons, For making a 10 year old feature that was very rarely moaned about into one of the most bitched about topics we got on here without CCP actually changing any thing?

I don't blame either. What else is there to do these days in the PvP world that doesn't require a lot of isk and/or effort but blob, grief or gank. The problems leading to this are not new, just more pronounced.

If you read the X is dead threads (there are many), I'm beginning to think this is more a testament of what the game is turning into, (rather than it being a niche sport as it was) and some people are not real happy to see that happening.
Ocih
Space Mermaids
#53 - 2012-12-23 11:04:37 UTC
Amarra Mandalin wrote:
Karloth Valois wrote:

I don't blame either. What else is there to do these days in the PvP world that doesn't require a lot of isk and/or effort but blob, grief or gank. The problems leading to this are not new, just more pronounced.

If you read the X is dead threads (there are many), I'm beginning to think this is more a testament of what the game is turning into, (rather than it being a niche sport as it was) and some people are not real happy to see that happening.

EVE Legacy

200*: EVE breaks 10K Log in
200*: EVE introduces Capitals
20**: Band of Brothers is disbanded by a spy
20**: Northern Coalition is toppled
20**: CVA driven off the Sov map for the first time

2012: The Uedama Bump war
True, POS bowling is as old as EVE but still, what a legacy for the 10 year anniversary. Bump wars and the saga of AFK Ice miners.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#54 - 2012-12-23 13:02:33 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Haedonism Bot wrote:

So you're basically saying. "Even though what you are doing is part of the game, you shouldn't enjoy it or do it."

Chess is a game with incredibly strict rules and mechanics. Also, the judges would get a bit disturbed if you just came in at any angle and 'bumped' your opponents queen straight off the board. Like using a Rook on the diagonal.

Also, If something ingame does not bring any benefit, what's the point ?......is my point. The whole thing is actually zero ISK/hour and a waste of time. At least if you pop those who are AFK, you can get Bounty now in most cases.

Dumb, dumb mechanic for lulz and nothing else. I play for something more substantioal than lulz.

But like I said above, small, petty minds are too easily amused.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Mag's
Azn Empire
#55 - 2012-12-23 13:59:39 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Haedonism Bot wrote:

Chess is a game with incredibly strict rules and mechanics. Also, the judges would get a bit disturbed if you just came in at any angle and 'bumped' your opponents queen straight off the board. Like using a Rook on the diagonal.

Also, If something ingame does not bring any benefit, what's the point ?......is my point. The whole thing is actually zero ISK/hour and a waste of time. At least if you pop those who are AFK, you can get Bounty now in most cases.

Dumb, dumb mechanic for lulz and nothing else. I play for something more substantioal than lulz.

But like I said above, small, petty minds are too easily amused.
When did I ever say I'd play chess outside it's rules? I think you see I say "part of the game". It's more like me taking your queen, laughing about it and you throwing your toys out.

Just because you don't see a benefit, doesn't mean there isn't one. Lulz or not.

The dumb part comes when others try to dictate how someone should, or shouldn't play the game. Even when that someone plays within it's rules. Lulz or not.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

AstraPardus
Earthside Mixlabs
#56 - 2012-12-23 14:07:37 UTC
It's really not very polite, you should excuse yourself! D:
Every time I post is Pardy time! :3
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#57 - 2012-12-23 15:52:48 UTC
Mag's wrote:

Just because you don't see a benefit, doesn't mean there isn't one. Lulz or not.

You don't appear to be able to even list one benefit.

Mag's wrote:

The dumb part comes when others try to dictate how someone should, or shouldn't play the game.

I don't believe anyone is dictating any playstyle here. Just pointing out nonsense when it reveals itself.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#58 - 2012-12-23 16:28:53 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Mag's wrote:

You don't appear to have even asked. Which is not quite the same now, is it? Blink

Stopping people getting into warp.

Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Mag's wrote:

The dumb part comes when others try to dictate how someone should, or shouldn't play the game.

I don't believe anyone is dictating any playstyle here. Just pointing out nonsense when it reveals itself.
You're playing the attempt to ridicule them card, or is it the attempt to belittle them card. Either way, it's made in an attempt to change minds and play style.
Poor dictation and mind games I grant, but why would that stop you? I'm just pointing out nonsense. Blink

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#59 - 2012-12-23 16:32:13 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Mag's wrote:

You don't appear to have even asked. Which is not quite the same now, is it? Blink

Stopping people getting into warp.

Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Mag's wrote:

You're playing the attempt to ridicule them card, or is it the attempt to belittle them card. Either way, it's made in an attempt to change minds and play style.
Poor dictation and mind games I grant, but why would that stop you? I'm just pointing out nonsense. Blink

You still refuse to list a benefit.

You have changed absolutely nobody's mind.

Nexus Day
Lustrevik Trade and Travel Bureau
#60 - 2012-12-23 16:32:32 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Emu Meo wrote:

And think of what sort of traffic control a space hub would have if this wasn't a game.