These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What's wrong with bumping?

Author
Reicine Ceer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#21 - 2012-12-21 21:49:21 UTC
Lahnea wrote:
Hi there,

I've often seen people talking about bumping freighters or titans etc. and getting really mad over it. I'm watching a youtube vid right now where the guy says these frigs will be podded if they bump the titan.

What's wrong with bumping it? It'll move a little. So what? Not sure I understand the fuss behind it.

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, not sure where else it could go. It's not a discussion specific to anything as far as I know.

If you're talking about that hilariously overbearing EVE Uni video where the american tells a newbie that if he bumps a titan he gets podded, and the video goes on interminably, with little actual content, I think i know the one you mean.

While other posters on here have already answered your question, i felt that this was the opportune moment to say "I'll never get that time back that i wasted watching that awful video".

...on the plus side, i did end up finding out about R&K and their eye watering, pant-wettingly incredible videos, so not a total loss.
Ginger Barbarella
#22 - 2012-12-21 21:54:56 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

edit: A correct staement though is : Nothing is gained from bumping in a PVP game like EVE.

That's not technically true. Bumping ships to prevent them from warping and allowing time for friends to show up is indeed a GAIN on the scale in PVP. No bump, he/she gets away. Bump, chance he/she dies. In a KM whoring world like null, that's a gain.

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Dheeradj Nurgle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#23 - 2012-12-21 22:18:44 UTC
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Even the basic EVE-keyboard knows this.

Looks like the Control Panel for a Drake to me. Yet It's odly Matari.
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#24 - 2012-12-21 22:51:51 UTC
Every collision in EVE is treated as a rough perfectly elastic collision.
This means that it is fully possible to knock a ship beyond what it can get back to in a sane period of time.
This technique was primarily used in an offensive manner to prevent capitals from escaping.
Then it was used as a means of moving ships away from where they can be defended.
Thus resulting in there fairly swift demise.
Now it is used as "harassment" against miners. (Give me a generic word that fits and is not a made up word, please)

Given that bumping equates to a hostile action by disabling the usage of ship systems as well as being a frequent prelude to a hostile ordnance to ship interface, there exists a quite vocal feeling that doing so is an aggressive action.
However despite its history as such, CCP has declared in the same method as ganking never being for profit that bumping is allowed.

Now beyond having ships never collide there are few options to deal with bumping.
You can gank them, you can try and use various prop manipulators to avoid them, or you could safe log off (Thank you CCP)
Prop modding tends to be a delaying measure, and ganking costs money and has many people upset if it can even be done (do not try ganking a Mach, well at least if you arent willing to lose almost as much)
Safe logging is the only current method capable of stopping them.
So basically its a aggressive tactic to which there is no legal recourse and thus irks a considerable part of the victims.
Mean while the bumpers laud it as a sign of skill and some form of justice (probably a result of space madness induced by their lack of testosterone) and crow in much the way you hear leet pvp players.
Meanwhile we true PVPers prefer to use the far more reliable warp scrambler and stasis webber followed by truly effective weapon hull interface systems.
Diremage
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2012-12-21 23:15:13 UTC
Ganking is not for profit? Has someone told all the gankers lined up around Jita?

Regarding bumping a capital out of POS shields: I know at least one case where unoccupied capital ships were bumped out of POS shields, and then a gang of hostiles flew off with them intact.

You can use the same method to bump an occupied capital out of POS shields and then blow it up while it scrambles to get back in or warp out.
Gillia Winddancer
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2012-12-21 23:25:36 UTC
Bumping is a feature that hopefully one day will be eliminated.

Preferably replaced with proper collision damage and/or at the very least properly take into account sizes and masses (assuming that scales gets properly fixed as well). Cause real ramming would be pretty nifty for starters - assuming a proper implementation is ever found that is.

Whilst this current feature may seem "fun" - probably primarily for those who do use it, from an immersion point of view it's rather...stupid to put it kindly on quite a few levels. Anything less than a capital ship shouldn't even make a titan nudge for starters. Logically speaking.

All in all, bumping and collisions in general is EVE's Benny Hill when it comes to immersion.

Jorma Morkkis
State War Academy
Caldari State
#27 - 2012-12-22 00:00:22 UTC
Lahnea wrote:
I knew about bumping miners out of range, but generally I don't see Titans fit for mining.

http://eve-files.com/chribba/mining_tango.jpg
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2012-12-22 00:08:48 UTC
Bumping definitely reduces the realism in Eve. Small ships bumping large ones should result in the small ship getting massive damage with maybe a dented armor plate on the large ship, not the large ship moving miles away like it was made of cardboard
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#29 - 2012-12-22 00:31:49 UTC
J3ssica Alba wrote:
Bumping definitely reduces the realism in Eve. Small ships bumping large ones should result in the small ship getting massive damage with maybe a dented armor plate on the large ship, not the large ship moving miles away like it was made of cardboard

Like I said. It's just stupid.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2012-12-22 01:03:46 UTC
Sarmea Moon wrote:
This thread is going places.

On the off chance that you are asking a real question: ask yourself- how does someone jump? First they have to align. How hard is it to align if you have been bumped? You aren't going anywhere, no points needed to hold that sucker in place. There are actually ways to avoid getting bumped. but they require a couple scouts with webs, warp in at 100km, take a peek, warp out, you know, actively paying attention and stuff.

If you are referring to miner bumping- they end up getting knocked out of laser range, meaning they can't mine. Ask James 315 about it, I'm sure he'd be happy to explain the details:)

You stole my line!

Yes though. This thread is going places.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#31 - 2012-12-22 03:28:48 UTC
J3ssica Alba wrote:

So we should all get battleships and smash miners? Or perhaps you only want it one way, so the miners are never hurt?

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#32 - 2012-12-22 03:30:55 UTC
NEONOVUS wrote:
far more reliable warp scrambler and stasis webber followed by truly effective weapon hull interface systems.

Gotta nerf ganking even more I see.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

FluffyDice
Kronos Research
#33 - 2012-12-22 04:32:42 UTC
Bumping the titan far enough into the shields so that the blue fleet can't bridge is also part of the annoyance.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2012-12-22 04:36:48 UTC
Dheeradj Nurgle wrote:
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Even the basic EVE-keyboard knows this.

Looks like the Control Panel for a Drake to me. Yet It's odly Matari.

no no no, completely different control layout

http://cdnimg.visualizeus.com/thumbs/b8/b4/caldari,control,panel,minmatar-b8b440822e3a16514e33709bc56f8ec5_h.jpg

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#35 - 2012-12-22 04:39:53 UTC
Bumping, like high sec ganking is a cheat, IMO.

They take what is otherwise a fail fit and exploit an AI aspect of EVE to accomplish their goal. Just like neutral SeBo and neutral RR got nerfed out, Bump warriors need to be taken off the table as well. I'm sure Bumpkins Joe won't be so horny to plow in to the freighter if there was an inside chance he would lose his fail fit Machariel.
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#36 - 2012-12-22 04:58:03 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
NEONOVUS wrote:
far more reliable warp scrambler and stasis webber followed by truly effective weapon hull interface systems.

Gotta nerf ganking even more I see.

Its not ganking if the highs arent cyclingPirate
Besides you are free to gank me, you just wont be able to manipulate the game to give yourself an uncounterable advantage.
Oh and I speak from experience as well.
I helped bump freighters, never did I fire on them, yet they all ended up dead.
Make bumping count so I get on the killmail!
penifSMASH
ElitistOps
Deepwater Hooligans
#37 - 2012-12-22 05:32:44 UTC
Bumping is awesome. We must have gotten literally 40 supercap (titan/SC) kills through some result of bumping mechanics. At the same time, my corp also once lost a Nyx as a result of those same bumping mechanics.

Bel Rick
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2012-12-22 08:23:39 UTC
If there is cheese in a game the little pests and rodents will find it.
Da Dom
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2012-12-22 11:19:51 UTC
You'd think something as small as a frig would just splatter on the titans winshield like a bug...

Because Far-que... That's why.

Emu Meo
Doomheim
#40 - 2012-12-22 11:27:54 UTC
Why cant ships cause damage when they crash into one another.

I remember when I was new to the game there were two things which really annoyed me initially. One was warping through planets, and the other was the utterly stupid way that a ship can ram full speed into an object and simply bounce off it. I even stopped playing afterwards and then only took up the game again a few years later.