These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Aggroing of drones with new NPC AI....

Author
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#61 - 2012-12-04 22:42:29 UTC
Jame Jarl Retief wrote:
That is a bug, a known one, confirmed by CCP. Which leads to 2 questions:

1. When this bug is fixed, what will you do then?
2. If you exploit the current bug, does that count as an exploit, and is it punishable? I don't want to eat a suspension or a ban for this.

That's not a bug, that's the only valid strategy for using drone ships now.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Elliot Vodka
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#62 - 2012-12-04 22:45:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Elliot Vodka
If anything this should convence them drones need a buff once they become in rare in both PVE as well as PVP.

Why is it that people think this game is for everyone?A better question would be "Why do some people think this game is only for them?"

starbelt stacy
Project-Gonk
#63 - 2012-12-04 22:45:15 UTC
i see some peeps say its to stop the afk otters doing afk level 4's but i rather think its slowly pushing the game to an all out pvp game....

the facts are this is just a sneaky ninja nerf probably thought up by someone that doesnt need to do missions for isk and the o.o lurkers who think the game doesnt need mission runners.

i wonder how many people will just give up on level 4's altogether cos of this stupid anal introductioin of uber npc aggro on drone users who actually need to use drones to kill stuff on missions.

buy plex some will say ... well money is tight for me as it is without being force milked for more money,

cornhole dwellers say "welcome to my world" .... level 4's shouldnt have the same disadvantages that the cornhole dwellers have without the same kind of rewards.

/facepalm at the time i spent / wasted training my drones for missions.

the drone AI aggro is just anal logic forced upon us mission runners to force us to buy plex or suffer the stupidity of plugging away at frigs that some take 3 times as long to kill than other npcs.
Sheila Fireknife
#64 - 2012-12-04 22:47:54 UTC
CCP:
2 new destroyers with drone based weapons
change NPC AI to make drones useless in misions

trollface.jpg
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#65 - 2012-12-04 22:48:04 UTC
Funnily enough, if you pair the drone boat with a high DPS ship such as an Oracle, the high DOS ship will get all the aggro.

Bring a friend remains the most powerful tactic in EVE.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#66 - 2012-12-04 22:51:55 UTC
Ocih wrote:
Just another example of cart before the horse. Drones weren't designed to take full aggro and they are the only way to really kill frigates in a level 4 mission.
As luck would have it, they don't need to take full aggro to do that job… and no, it's not really the only way to kill frigates in L4s.

Katran Luftschreck wrote:
It's a bug; it'll be fixed; and then you'll have to ask the w-spacers and incursioners how they deal with it since there are more strategies than that, all of which actually are valid.
Ocih
Space Mermaids
#67 - 2012-12-04 22:59:23 UTC
I just did Serpentis Extravaganza Level 3.

Drones insta pop. Oddly enough, it seems suiting to EVE. My drones died to alpha dps, npc zerging because they, like our ships have no way to tank it. Lol

On a plus note, they tamed down the crazy stupid tanks on the Guardian Sepentis. Cruisers still rep off 80% of the first 6 volleys but the frigates weren't showing signs of Omni I-Win tanks.

I cheat in 3's. I use a full passive, medium rails fit Rohk.

If I wanted to go eye bleeding, power grinder mode, I could make 20 mill/hr doing them.
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#68 - 2012-12-04 23:13:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Katran Luftschreck
Tippia wrote:
It's a bug; it'll be fixed

Wonder how much I can get for my Myrmidon, Gila & Rattlesnake, then? Full time mining here I come!

On thus plus side, with mission life behind me I can consider training up an alt now.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Sal Trent
Petrolinvest
#69 - 2012-12-04 23:15:21 UTC
Jess Maine wrote:
CCP's next step in eliminating drones from the game.

Nope they just dont want people like the OP afk missioning/pveing Smile
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#70 - 2012-12-04 23:18:50 UTC
Ocih wrote:
Drones insta pop. Oddly enough, it seems suiting to EVE. My drones died to alpha dps, npc zerging because they, like our ships have no way to tank it. Lol

How realistic !!!

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

starbelt stacy
Project-Gonk
#71 - 2012-12-04 23:19:23 UTC
Sal Trent wrote:
Jess Maine wrote:
CCP's next step in eliminating drones from the game.

Nope they just dont want people like the OP afk missioning/pveing Smile

if they know the people who are afking missions why not just ban them ????

the real reason is trying to get mor epeople to buy plex thats the real reason it seems.

Generals4
#72 - 2012-12-04 23:19:44 UTC
Norrin Ellis wrote:
Generals4 wrote:
If WH'ers can deal with it so can mission runners.

The logic of your trolling escapes me. If one thing should be pretty much equivalent to the other, why have both? If missions should be as difficult as wormholes--or at least present the same challenges--then they should yield all of the same benefits, too.

Right because the ONLY difference between level 4 missions and WH's was the AI of the NPC's. The logic of your trolling escapes me. My point was quite simple, WH dwellers manage to deal with the AI which loves to pop drones so it is perfectly possible for mission runners to do it as well. It's not as if micro'ing your drones or using ships that can hit smaller ones is impossible, just gotta try new ships/fits/tactics.

_-Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily. _

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#73 - 2012-12-04 23:28:08 UTC
Kenneth O'Hara wrote:
Welcome to the life of a wormholer. I'm not even sure if the bug works against sleepers since they have been doing this since they came around. It's about time you missioners had a challenge. Oh, what's that? I've never done lvl 4s because I live in w-space... let me just say before this patch, lvl 4s were way easier to solo than even a c2 wormhole anom.

Because you seriously needed drones to farm WH anoms in your Tengu, right? Roll
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#74 - 2012-12-04 23:30:51 UTC
Obsidian Dagger wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Ocih wrote:
Just another example of cart before the horse. Drones weren't designed to take full aggro and they are the only way to really kill frigates in a level 4 mission.

When I did these missions in the nightmare I never needed the drones and that was with tachyons.

My current plan is to carry a selection of T1 laser crystals and swap them out when I have to take out frigates, and keep drones for cruisers and salvaging and stuff.

The thing about using drones for killing frigates is not that it is impossible to kill frigates with BS weapons, but that it DOES need more skillpoints invested in gunnery, and that's really going to slow down the careers of newer carebears. It also means a greater chance of losing your ship (NOT something carebears are willing to risk), if you are on the edge of losing your tank and are unexpectedly scrambled by an angel spy or something.

The only functional solution is more skillpoints in tracking and falloff affecting skills, and maybe some tracking computers loaded with scripts. But since that will a: take training time away from mining skills and b: impact tank, a lot of carebears are going to lose a lot of ships very quickly.

They will adapt, carebears in particular and EvE players in general usually do (or stop playing), but for the short term, it's going to be a great sellers market.

Especially for drone manufacturers.

New players very often employ stuff like artillery ships. You aren't going to hit frigs with them, ever, even with all skills to V.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#75 - 2012-12-04 23:34:14 UTC
Some Rando wrote:
Huh, maybe CCP are trying to move L4s back to group activities.

Imagine that. But some people want their AFK isk faucet and think it's good.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#76 - 2012-12-04 23:34:37 UTC
Sergeant Acht Scultz wrote:
starbelt stacy wrote:
this is nothing but a backdoor nerf to level 4 mission runners and to make it so there is more incentive to buy plex with real money, plain and simple.

drone aggro means it takes so much longer to do a mission most wont bother and just buy plex.

ive spent months training my drone skills only for them to be practically useless doing level 4's to say im not a happy teddy is a understatement.
tried out angel extravaganza and my drones were instantly targeted and popped within 10 seconds of launch the drones that were targeted wouldnt return to drone bay either.

ive cancelled my subs for my 2 accounts already while i try and come up with a differant gameplan for doing level 4's

and no ... you cant have my stuff!!!

Stop doing them with drone boats?

Hulks too have awesome yeld, yet almost no one uses them anymore because good choices are good (???)

Because switching from Hulk to Mack takes exactly as long as switching from full Gallente BS to Caldari including weapon systems, shield tanking and so on. Roll
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#77 - 2012-12-04 23:36:41 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Qvar Dar'Zanar wrote:
Maybe you can bring some friends in destroyers.

OOOOOOOOOOOKAY. Alts. Bring alts. I know you love that better.

How much better will the destroyers fare I wonder?

Destroyers take aggro and get popped within 10 seconds of not warping off.
Lupus Aurorae Corvus
Doomheim
#78 - 2012-12-04 23:40:39 UTC
Other ships than afk dominixes use drones too... Raven for example is dead without small drones.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#79 - 2012-12-04 23:41:16 UTC
Tippia wrote:

It's a bug; it'll be fixed; and then you'll have to ask the w-spacers and incursioners how they deal with it since there are more strategies than that, all of which actually are valid.

Yes they will tell you to bring Tengus or some ship with spare middle slots that allow fitting WEB or other modules that attract aggro.

What they won't tell is to bring a Minmatar ship. What are Minmatar users meant to do? A default PvE Mael setup has already to give up 1 shield hardener vs the other races as is, figures if they have to drop more.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#80 - 2012-12-05 00:07:44 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Tippia wrote:

Yes they will tell you to bring Tengus or some ship with spare middle slots that allow fitting WEB or other modules that attract aggro.

What they won't tell is to bring a Minmatar ship. What are Minmatar users meant to do? A default PvE Mael setup has already to give up 1 shield hardener vs the other races as is, figures if they have to drop more.

Yeah, that would suck for me. My current Mael fit has no spare mids or highs. I wonder if I can just load T1 frigs to use as decoys to get to a range where AC's can handle them?