These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Aggroing of drones with new NPC AI....

Author
Ocih
Space Mermaids
#41 - 2012-12-04 20:47:50 UTC
Sergeant Acht Scultz wrote:
Ocih wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Ocih wrote:
Just another example of cart before the horse. Drones weren't designed to take full aggro and they are the only way to really kill frigates in a level 4 mission.

When I did these missions in the nightmare I never needed the drones and that was with tachyons.

If you get them all before they close on you. Many level 4's they plant you on top of the spawns but I suppose you just insta popped the 90% resist frigates at 2200 meters with your uber leet skillz

He's telling jokes, not only this would be impossible even with a blaster fit and web but even less with a Nightmare, mwahaha nice joke however. Or maybe that was back in 1589 DC? -whatever

Quote:
Just another example of cart before the horse. Drones weren't designed to take full aggro and they are the only way to really kill frigates in a level 4 mission.

Seems CCP wants to make NPC rats look more like players pvp ship acting, so who would not kill drones?
So, when are NPC's sending ECM300's against us? Lol

Silly choices, are silly!

You never know with Baltec. So far all I killed were some radar site rats with a HAM fit cruiser and 2 lights. They ignored my drones.

The HAMs had more dps than the drones, even though the HAMs were in fact useless against them. We will need to determine what gives aggro and aggro fit some slots now is my guess. If it's the superior dps value, we will now need to throw away our high slots on drone boats to fake our dps.
Yotah
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#42 - 2012-12-04 20:49:13 UTC
Ocih wrote:

+1
Norrin Ellis
Doomheim
#43 - 2012-12-04 20:49:20 UTC
Generals4 wrote:
If WH'ers can deal with it so can mission runners.

The logic of your trolling escapes me. If one thing should be pretty much equivalent to the other, why have both? If missions should be as difficult as wormholes--or at least present the same challenges--then they should yield all of the same benefits, too.
YoYo NickyYo
Doomheim
#44 - 2012-12-04 20:49:37 UTC
Chip Whittley wrote:
Anybody else noticing this today? In level 4 missions, in my Domi, I throw my drones out after all npcs lock me, and almost immediately they're switching aggro to the drones, and the drones are dying. Some missions more than others, but it is in every mission. I don't usually lose drones, but I've lost a bay's worth of them just this morning....

While CCP's documentation leaves a lot to be desired...this was a central and well-documented change....Oops

I am not, nor will I ever be...Nicky Yo.... The question you should ask is.....When will they release the NICKY!

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#45 - 2012-12-04 20:50:03 UTC
starbelt stacy wrote:
this is nothing but a backdoor nerf to level 4 mission runners and to make it so there is more incentive to buy plex with real money, plain and simple.

drone aggro means it takes so much longer to do a mission most wont bother and just buy plex.

ive spent months training my drone skills only for them to be practically useless doing level 4's to say im not a happy teddy is a understatement.
tried out angel extravaganza and my drones were instantly targeted and popped within 10 seconds of launch the drones that were targeted wouldnt return to drone bay either.

ive cancelled my subs for my 2 accounts already while i try and come up with a differant gameplan for doing level 4's

and no ... you cant have my stuff!!!

Stop doing them with drone boats?

Hulks too have awesome yeld, yet almost no one uses them anymore because good choices are good (???)

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Kenneth O'Hara
Sebiestor Tribe
#46 - 2012-12-04 20:50:04 UTC
Rengerel en Distel wrote:
Kenneth O'Hara wrote:
Welcome to the life of a wormholer. I'm not even sure if the bug works against sleepers since they have been doing this since they came around. It's about time you missioners had a challenge. Oh, what's that? I've never done lvl 4s because I live in w-space... let me just say before this patch, lvl 4s were way easier to solo than even a c2 wormhole anom.

The difference being you don't get waves of 20 or 30 rats at a time in WHs? And even with sleepers, they have a 2 min timer, so you just have to time your aggro.

Depends on the site, sometimes you can get way more than that... I'm not sure about the timer thing either because I constantly have target switching around on me and my drones at completely random times. Sometimes I my drones as a light tank so I can boost up. At other times, I'll bookmark a wreck and warp off and back at a certain range to get distance to hit the frigates without ever pulling out 1 drone.

Bring Saede Riordan back!! Never Forget! _"__Operation Godzilla Smacks Zeus"  ~__Graygor _

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#47 - 2012-12-04 20:51:42 UTC
Kenneth O'Hara wrote:
Sometimes I my drones as a light tank so I can boost up. At other times, I'll bookmark a wreck and warp off and back at a certain range to get distance to hit the frigates without ever pulling out 1 drone.

C1's C2's this can be done quite easily, C3's and above it's another story.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

starbelt stacy
Project-Gonk
#48 - 2012-12-04 20:52:42 UTC
starbelt stacy wrote:
this is nothing but a backdoor nerf to level 4 mission runners and to make it so there is more incentive to buy plex with real money, plain and simple.

drone aggro means it takes so much longer to do a mission most wont bother and just buy plex.

ive spent months training my drone skills only for them to be practically useless doing level 4's to say im not a happy teddy is a understatement.
tried out angel extravaganza and my drones were instantly targeted and popped within 10 seconds of launch the drones that were targeted wouldnt return to drone bay either.

ive cancelled my subs for my 2 accounts already while i try and come up with a differant gameplan for doing level 4's

and no ... you cant have my stuff!!!

Hulks too have awesome yeld, yet almost no one uses them anymore because good choices are good (???)

i use CNR its hardly a drone boat...

i cant use anyhting else to do level 4's due to my skills.
Kiteo Hatto
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2012-12-04 20:53:19 UTC
Looks like im just gonna have to leave small ships til last and then use the MJD to get 100km out and snipe them with tachs =|.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2012-12-04 20:56:41 UTC

Drones are already considered largely subpar in PvP, so they should suffer the same in PvE as well? You think it a good idea to have a weapons system relegated to all around greatly reduced effectiveness?
Kenneth O'Hara
Sebiestor Tribe
#51 - 2012-12-04 21:00:11 UTC
Kenneth O'Hara wrote:
Sometimes I my drones as a light tank so I can boost up. At other times, I'll bookmark a wreck and warp off and back at a certain range to get distance to hit the frigates without ever pulling out 1 drone.

C1's C2's this can be done quite easily, C3's and above it's another story.

Oh yeah, I'm still learning most of the ropes. C3's get a little more trickier on the soloing if it is even possible. C4s you might need a couple of alts or fleet mates.

Bring Saede Riordan back!! Never Forget! _"__Operation Godzilla Smacks Zeus"  ~__Graygor _

Basileus
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#52 - 2012-12-04 21:07:42 UTC
Ocih wrote:

This.
Mistah Ewedynao
Ice Axe Psycho Killers
#53 - 2012-12-04 21:17:20 UTC
Basileus wrote:
Ocih wrote:

This.

I kill frigs with large ac's all the time. Although it's is gonna make certain missions really tough if frigs are right on top of you.

Nerf Goons

Nuke em from orbit....it's the only way to be sure.

Qvar Dar'Zanar
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#54 - 2012-12-04 21:19:29 UTC
Maybe you can bring some friends in destroyers.

OOOOOOOOOOOKAY. Alts. Bring alts. I know you love that better.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2012-12-04 21:21:22 UTC
Qvar Dar'Zanar wrote:
Maybe you can bring some friends in destroyers.

OOOOOOOOOOOKAY. Alts. Bring alts. I know you love that better.

How much better will the destroyers fare I wonder?
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#56 - 2012-12-04 21:51:17 UTC
Without commenting on this half assed attempt at whatever it is CCP is up to, I will say something in general that seems to show CCP taking a step backwards.

They have been 'dumbing down' the game to some and 'reducing needless complication ' for others. I see the recent trend as a good thing, personally. Having mechanics simply to be a pain in the ass is the wrong way to attract and keep players.

Yet this is exactly what has happened here. Throwing in a half finished new mechanic that can be worked around by putting drones out, pulling them back, then launching again is not adding anything to game play. It's just needlessly complicating something simple to make it seem attractive to the hardcore few that like this kind of thing.

It will, in my opinion, backfire badly.

Mr Epeen Cool
Cynter DeVries
Spheroidal Projections
#57 - 2012-12-04 22:18:27 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Without commenting on this half assed attempt at whatever it is CCP is up to, I will say something in general that seems to show CCP taking a step backwards.

They have been 'dumbing down' the game to some and 'reducing needless complication ' for others. I see the recent trend as a good thing, personally. Having mechanics simply to be a pain in the ass is the wrong way to attract and keep players.

Yet this is exactly what has happened here. Throwing in a half finished new mechanic that can be worked around by putting drones out, pulling them back, then launching again is not adding anything to game play. It's just needlessly complicating something simple to make it seem attractive to the hardcore few that like this kind of thing.

Mr Epeen Cool

Or... CCP just buffed co-op play a good bit.

Think about it. There are now logistics frigates. Bring a newbie in a Navitas and tell them "Keep my drones alive, I'll worry about the rest. Aggro? Try to speed tank some of it. My Domi has a big repper for you, just in case."

Or as someone above pointed out... Alts, bring alts in logi frigates.

Cynter's Law of feature suggestion: Thou shalt not suggest NPCs do something players could do instead.

Rengerel en Distel
#58 - 2012-12-04 22:28:54 UTC
Cynter DeVries wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:

Mr Epeen Cool

Or... CCP just buffed co-op play a good bit.

Think about it. There are now logistics frigates. Bring a newbie in a Navitas and tell them "Keep my drones alive, I'll worry about the rest. Aggro? Try to speed tank some of it. My Domi has a big repper for you, just in case."

Or as someone above pointed out... Alts, bring alts in logi frigates.

Aggro is based on signature size and ewar. That logi would get aggro over the drones, especially if they're acting like logi.
It's the same reason ratters are happy, because frigs/bombers coming at them will now be attacked by the very rats the ratter was trying to kill.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

Potamus Jenkins
eXceed Inc.
Plucky Adventurers
#59 - 2012-12-04 22:37:22 UTC
LOL wormhole dwellers say hello
Rengerel en Distel
#60 - 2012-12-04 22:40:19 UTC
Potamus Jenkins wrote:
LOL wormhole dwellers say hello

That was even more clever than the other 2 people that said it before you.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.