These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Now that the jukebox is gone...

First post First post
Author
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#61 - 2012-12-07 02:23:46 UTC
Seven Clans good. Nouvelle Rouvenor bad.

Jukebox should stay until a decent replacement is available. Having no option to skip tracks, play my favourite tracks or otherwise interest with the music is really distracting me from enjoying the game. I want to be able to skip Nouvelle Rouvenor, dammit Evil
Harland White
Adventurer's Guild
#62 - 2012-12-07 02:25:43 UTC
CCP RealX wrote:
Kha'Vorn wrote:
Julia Reave wrote:
...is there a way to actually stop the music or prevent it from playing other than turning its volume slider down in the options menu?

Doubt it.

Turn the slider for music down down down. I did that on my 2nd day in eve. Never slid to the right again..

Sad

Aw man, don't be sad dude. I love the music in EVE and I have it on pretty often. Not a noob here either, been around awhile and love the old (and new) music.

Just 2c from a guy who DOES keep his sound and music on in EVE, most of the time.

By their fruit you will recognize them.

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#63 - 2012-12-07 02:33:17 UTC
I like

Nouvelle Rouvenor
Below the Asteroids
Merchants Looters and Ghosts

that's about it.... but I leave music on still :D

The Drake is a Lie

Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#64 - 2012-12-07 02:34:13 UTC
So far I gotta agree with the "random step backward" sentiment.

Can someone explain why anyone thought this was a good enough idea to spend any time on?
ashley Eoner
#65 - 2012-12-07 02:34:19 UTC
Did CCP ever provide a reason for removing a smart feature of the game?
Sarmatiko
#66 - 2012-12-07 02:41:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
I love EVE music. I really do.
But after Retribution I had to turn off music volume to zero because there is no way to turn off "combat tracks".

Two features that I like to see in client settings:
Turn off combat music option. For my taste combat music is too intense and it wont stop playing when you warp-out from deadspace pocket.
Mute sounds when client in background option. When you run two clients at once from one folder, sounds will mix into the cacophony.
None ofthe Above
#67 - 2012-12-07 02:43:27 UTC
Sarmatiko wrote:
I love EVE music. I really do.
But after Retribution I had to turn off music volume to zero because there is no way to turn off "combat tracks".

Two features that I like to see in client settings:
Turn off combat music option. For my taste combat musis is too intense and it wont stop playing when you warp-out from deadspace pocket.
Mute sounds when client in background option. When you run two clients at once from one folder, sounds will mix into the cacophony.

+1

My need for the jukebox would be alleviated by Mute sounds when client in background, and a keyboard shortcut to stop/start the music.

The only end-game content in EVE Online is the crap that makes you rage quit.

Tech3ZH
Doomheim
#68 - 2012-12-07 02:45:28 UTC
Mak YuTsai wrote:

Add features, don't remove them.

Say, CCP..... ^^^^^^^^^^^
Sarmatiko
#69 - 2012-12-07 02:52:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
Kagumichan wrote:
You may as well stop creating new tunes for the login screens for new expansions since the majority of players will have the in-game music turned off.

Not sure, maybe something changed already, but few months ago CCP planned to get rid of login screen completely and move login process to the launcher. Sad
Hallvardr
#70 - 2012-12-07 03:07:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Hallvardr
"As part of building a cohesive experience, marrying graphics, design and sound, we want the music to play in context of where you are and what you are doing."

okay .. I get that you're trying to build a sound scape to match the scenery. BUT... "we want the music" we're the paying customer so its not about what you want but what we want. (lesson still to be learned)

I love music. I love the music in eve. I love variety as well. I will no longer have that variety in eve. So if your plan was to cause players to WANT to disable the sound ... I think you will succeed.

"Maintaining an mp3 player inside EVE, while there are much better media players out there doesn‘t make much sense to us. Keep in mind that all code in EVE needs to be maintained. UIs are upgraded, codecs need upgrading, code is refactored, defects need to be resolved. By removing redundant pieces of code from our codebase, we free up engineering time to maintain, iterate and develop other features which are more important and core to the spaceship game EVE. As we move forward with EVE development, iterating and adding features, we have to be ready to cut off dead branches and prune our garden so to speak.

By placing the music on Soundcloud, we are providing those that still want to customize their own playlists with the existing EVE soundtrack the ability to do so. We opted for that route rather than maintaining two systems, both the new system and the jukebox, as that is an extra development effort, again, taking away resources from more important things. Like always, your feedback is important to us. Let us know if you agree or disagree with this move. Remember though, by removing extraneous functionality, we have more time to work on other things.
"

Well its a good thing we're close to snow fall ... my snow shovel was close at hand. What a load of horse manure !

I do not buy any of that for a minute as a valid reason for the Jukebox removal. It simply got in the way of >your< "sound scape" so you took it away, banking on a majority having the attitude "what , there is sound in eve ??" and not noticing. Ooops !
Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#71 - 2012-12-07 03:44:19 UTC
Hallvardr wrote:
"[i]By placing the music on Soundcloud, we are providing those that still want to customize their own playlists with the existing EVE soundtrack the ability to do so. We opted for that route rather than maintaining two systems, both the new system and the jukebox, as that is an extra development effort, again, taking away resources from more important things.

So, they built a new system and then tore down the old one to save the effort of maintaining two systems...

Ok, I've been in that meeting. They don't invite me anymore. Lol
Treo 'Ssard
Hangar 55
#72 - 2012-12-07 04:20:24 UTC
Is there a way to obtain the full setlist of EVE songs ?? For download ??

If I'm not mistaken, the album only had a handful of the songs (no We Fight Proud For The Holder, too).
Auferre
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#73 - 2012-12-07 05:56:37 UTC
I've always liked the Eve music, but I liked the jukebox as a game feature even more.

Not sure why it was removed - Eve has been the only MMO I've played over the years where I had other options besides "listen to whatever music the devs feel like providing for an area" and "turn the music off for good".
Amitious Turkey
10kSubnautic
Warriors of the Blood God
#74 - 2012-12-07 06:19:17 UTC
CCP RealX wrote:
Kha'Vorn wrote:
Julia Reave wrote:
...is there a way to actually stop the music or prevent it from playing other than turning its volume slider down in the options menu?

Doubt it.

Turn the slider for music down down down. I did that on my 2nd day in eve. Never slid to the right again..

Sad

Don't worry Real, I like the music.Bear

I like to lick things.

Haunting the forums since 03.

Manta
Cutting Edge Incorporated
#75 - 2012-12-07 06:22:29 UTC
The ambient music on the Jukebox has been a part of EVE since beta.. Bring it back please, there was no need to get rid of it.
TharOkha
0asis Group
#76 - 2012-12-07 06:25:03 UTC  |  Edited by: TharOkha
Quote:
by removing extraneous functionality, we have more time to work on other things

Microsoft did it with Windows 8. They have failed.

Ok i understand that maintaining music inside the client needs resources and maintenance. I know that placing music outside the client is much better and removes the need to maintenance it. But is it possible to make controls for it ingame?

You know, music is outside the client (soundcloud) but controls for it (jukebox that controls soundcloud) are inside the client. I think that this solution should "feed both sides". No maintenance for devs and no "alt-tabbing-to-select-track" for players.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#77 - 2012-12-07 07:23:41 UTC
ashley Eoner wrote:

Apparently they were unable to maintain a piece of code that takes few days to be rewritten from scratch.
Zack Korth
Livid CO.
#78 - 2012-12-07 07:37:27 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
ashley Eoner wrote:

Apparently they were unable to maintain a piece of code that takes few days to be rewritten from scratch.

This

The long and the short of it is, laziness. Pure laziness, I realize coding is hard, so hard in fact that I don't do it and have never tried, but the reason for it is because ITS NOT MY ****ING JOB, it IS however CCP's job and they didn't do it. They cut out a useful feature in the game, cause it made their job easier.

Imagine if ford just quit putting radios in mustangs, hey they got rid of some wires, and it took less time to put the car together! well good for you, unfortunately the customer suffers, but CCP knows how much the eve community likes to suffer, so its not that much of a worry to them, just an easier job.
Juliade
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#79 - 2012-12-07 09:41:18 UTC
I would like to see an option to disable IG music only. I still enjoy the login theme when starting up the eve client. Just don't like the IG music when actually playing because it interferes with comms.
Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#80 - 2012-12-07 11:14:13 UTC
CCP RealX wrote:
Kha'Vorn wrote:
Julia Reave wrote:

Doubt it.

Sad

uhh sad panda.

I like the music...especially when it runs simultainiously on three clients but timeshifted...
Its like sitting in a cave with psychodelic drugs

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP