These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Now that the jukebox is gone...

First post First post
Author
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#201 - 2013-04-25 21:05:00 UTC
It would be fine if I had a music player as part of my operating system, or if dozens were available for free download... and if all of the EvE music was available for streaming or download....

Oh wait....

By the way, Necromancy is bad mmkay.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Concurssi Mellenar
Doomheim
#202 - 2013-04-25 21:10:46 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
It would be fine if I had a music player as part of my operating system, or if dozens were available for free download... and if all of the EvE music was available for streaming or download....

Shockingly, some people would prefer to have a music player available as part of the game.

He who controls the veld, controls the universe.

Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#203 - 2013-04-25 23:28:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Anabella Rella
Believe it or not Ranger there are other use cases out here besides yours. Many of us have enjoyed having the game music play, you know, in the game. Listening to the concert last night reminded me just how great the Eve soundtrack is and also made me sad that I could no longer hear it inside the game, aside from 4 or 5.

Also, this is an ongoing issue therefore, OK to keep it on peoples' minds. CCP asked for feedback and that's what some of us are doing, rather than mocking and denigrating their fellow players. You've made it abundantly clear how you feel on this issue. No need to keep trolling.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

Shadow Lord77
Shadow Industries I
#204 - 2013-04-26 03:59:23 UTC
Apparently the Jukebox was using licensed software and only 4% of the user player-base interacted with it. 4% of 1000 is still 40. And isn't there some open source software out there?
Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#205 - 2013-04-26 04:20:31 UTC
Shadow Lord77 wrote:
Apparently the Jukebox was using licensed software and only 4% of the user player-base interacted with it. 4% of 1000 is still 40. And isn't there some open source software out there?

Where did you get these figures? I don't recall ever seeing CCP publish anything like that. If you can point to a dev post or quote to this effect please share it. I find it very hard to believe that only 4% of players used the jukebox.

I'm not being sarcastic here, I'd honestly like to know the source of your info.

Call Rollard
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#206 - 2013-04-26 06:45:30 UTC
We still want the Jukebox back CCP

Sad
Jessy Berbers
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#207 - 2013-04-26 07:41:21 UTC
EVE's music is good, but personnaly more fan of what Relic first did with Homeworld.

But kinda miss the jukebox aswell, mostly because of below the asteroids :P
Vincent Gaines
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#208 - 2013-04-26 11:35:59 UTC
Anabella Rella wrote:
It's a pain to need a separate app running in the background in order to hear something beyond the same 4 or 5 songs over and over in the game. For goodness sake CCP, please give us back the jukebox. Give the players control over the audio experience again like it used to be.

Try living in w-space. There's no music at all, it's just a low ambient noise, every day, all the time.

Not a diplo. 

The above post was edited for spelling.

Aprudena Gist
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#209 - 2013-04-26 14:59:32 UTC
CCP RealX wrote:
Kha'Vorn wrote:
Julia Reave wrote:
...is there a way to actually stop the music or prevent it from playing other than turning its volume slider down in the options menu?

Doubt it.

Turn the slider for music down down down. I did that on my 2nd day in eve. Never slid to the right again..

Sad

If you wanted people to listen to the music maybe it shouldn't be so terrible.
Beef Hammer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#210 - 2013-04-26 16:03:51 UTC
So ya CCP, just give us the jukebox back. This has gone beyond ridiculous now. Cry
Obsidian Dagger
Nitrus Nine
#211 - 2013-04-26 17:44:11 UTC
I listened to the EvE music through once.

Then I turned it down to 0 and put on Alestorm instead.

When it was available in the client, I played it through that. Since it went away, I play it through windows media player.
Lady Areola Fappington
#212 - 2013-04-26 18:01:35 UTC
The jukebox was a kludge that kindasorta worked, used licensed code (cost money to CCP), and apparently caused numerous headaches during code maintenance.

Putting it back, at this point, is nigh impossible. Things have changed code-wise since the day it was stripped out. To re-implement, CCP would have to reacquire licenses/develop in-house, rollback the internal codebase to the day it was removed, then re-implement every change, update, and fix made between then and now, fixing any conflicts that would invariably arise from using grotty code. It is a TON of work. All that to duplicate functionality that is now built into every modern OS shipped.

I would rather have CCP work on new features/fixes/balances, than waste dev hours on a jukebox that barely anyone used. If you want music, then alt-tab, fire up whichever media player you want, and play from there.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#213 - 2013-04-27 04:54:08 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:
The jukebox was a kludge that kindasorta worked, used licensed code (cost money to CCP), and apparently caused numerous headaches during code maintenance.

Putting it back, at this point, is nigh impossible. Things have changed code-wise since the day it was stripped out. To re-implement, CCP would have to reacquire licenses/develop in-house, rollback the internal codebase to the day it was removed, then re-implement every change, update, and fix made between then and now, fixing any conflicts that would invariably arise from using grotty code. It is a TON of work. All that to duplicate functionality that is now built into every modern OS shipped.

I would rather have CCP work on new features/fixes/balances, than waste dev hours on a jukebox that barely anyone used. If you want music, then alt-tab, fire up whichever media player you want, and play from there.

Again, how about some hard numbers to prove your assertion that "hardly anyone used" the jukebox? Do you work for CCP and know about the codebase and licensing issues?

The whole point is that I don't want yet another app running in the background just so I can listen to music that used to be in the game. I don't know of any other game that requires this. Also, in case you didn't notice, this is Eve. Messing around with some thrid party app outside the client can get you blown up very quickly so, I'd rather not. I've been around over 5 years now and new clones are getting pretty pricy.

Call Rollard
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#214 - 2013-04-27 11:04:20 UTC
than waste dev hours on a jukebox that barely anyone used.

I was one out of thousands and thousands of players who used the Jukebox. I find it easier to switch music using the Jukebox so I can keep an eye on whats going on in EVE than switching windows all the time changing music.

When you PVP, its hard to keep switching windows all the time.
Loyd Smith
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#215 - 2013-04-28 04:28:09 UTC
I don't normally post on the forums, but, really? Could we PLEASE get the jukebox back?
Joe Viturbo
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#216 - 2013-04-30 06:21:51 UTC
I also do not post very often and am missing the ingame jukebox.

If at all possible please bring it back.

-Joe
Ireland VonVicious
Vicious Trading Company
#217 - 2013-05-22 00:28:43 UTC
BRING BACK THE JUKE BOX!
Utremi Fasolasi
La Dolce Vita
#218 - 2013-05-22 00:37:31 UTC
Vincent Gaines wrote:
Anabella Rella wrote:
It's a pain to need a separate app running in the background in order to hear something beyond the same 4 or 5 songs over and over in the game. For goodness sake CCP, please give us back the jukebox. Give the players control over the audio experience again like it used to be.

Try living in w-space. There's no music at all, it's just a low ambient noise, every day, all the time.

Out in nullsec the ambient sound is like the constant moan of a tortured whale. poor whale. someone think of the whales.. Cry
Lady Areola Fappington
#219 - 2013-05-22 00:42:00 UTC
Oh god this thread is back.

CCP stated at Fanfest the jukebox is totally, utterly, 100% gone, and nothing you can say or do will bring it back. Gone. Kaput. Deleted. It's dead Jim.

If not having the jukebox is a gamebreaker for you, now is the time to unsub and find a new game.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Barbelo Valentinian
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#220 - 2013-05-22 00:50:02 UTC
Oh god this thread is back.

CCP stated at Fanfest the jukebox is totally, utterly, 100% gone, and nothing you can say or do will bring it back. Gone. Kaput. Deleted. It's dead Jim.

If not having the jukebox is a gamebreaker for you, now is the time to unsub and find a new game.

Bring back the jukebox!