These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Happy Safe Fun Time!

First post First post
Author
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#121 - 2012-11-27 18:26:04 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Eli Green wrote:
Jing Xin wrote:
I hope safety setting is persistent through docking, jumping, logging off. If it constantly defaults to green, some people will be seriously annoyed.

currently unless it has changed since last week it is not persistant Sad

Should be persisted per session, but not currently between sessions (see above). Ie, so long as you stay logged in, it stays the same; log out and it goes back to default.

I'm all for the change, but you must make it work between sessions. I'm red and flashy and will stay that way forever. Just disable it, I know what I'm up to. And it's generally no good. :)

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

darius mclever
#122 - 2012-11-27 18:29:43 UTC  |  Edited by: darius mclever
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

Thoughts:

1.) When I imagine changing the "safety" settings, I always imagined something in the escape menus that would pull me away from what's happing in space around me. I applaud the little UI button that clearly indicates my safety setting, and enables me to change it fluidly during a battle. With that said, I would like to be able to define my 'default' setting. I understand the need for everyone's default to be "safe" to start, but I really think having to switch it from safe to partially safe or living dangerous every time I log in is excessive. This is really only a minor gripe though....

2.) Do you have to come to a complete stop to "safe" logoff? It really sounded like you do, which is awkward:
--- If you can't move, you can't be aligned to escape assuming a hostile enter's grid. Many players often counter enemy probes by aligning to a warp out, and warping the moment a hostile enters the grid, but if they have to align from rest first, larger ships will be easily caught.
--- Essentially the upcoming changes mean you can NOT easily escape from hostiles probing for you by logging out.... even if you are safe at the moment by being at a random bookmark and cloaked. This is detrimental to any supercap pilot that attempts to log out in space when a determined opponent is in system. Their only options are to log out inside a POS, or to cyno out of the system. Perhaps reduce the "safe" logoff timer to 20 seconds, and then the window to catch these ships is small enough to make it generally possible.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2232017#post2232017

movement commands prevent log off. but not moving already.

also ... why cant the super cap sit out all timers and then log off safely once the cloak is turned off?

Quote:

3.) Overall, these are good changes... Thank you for your work!

4.) Are you planning to create a "system" safety settings too.... with an easily alterable HUD element that prevents you from entering highsec (while gcc) or lower sec (while risk-adverse)?
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#123 - 2012-11-27 18:35:07 UTC
Barbara Nichole wrote:
So you have a repper on.. and your power goes out so that you can't log back in right away; how long does your ship sit there in space now that an active mod running does let your ship logout?

Active modules have no effect on logging off. (you log off. all your modules shut down. You ewarp (if not scrambled) and despawn after your timers from whatever you were doing end. your pvp timer can be created and/or extended by someone else shooting you)

Active modules stop you using the 'safe logoff' option. Which is a new one.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#124 - 2012-11-27 18:35:33 UTC
Heh Straight

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#125 - 2012-11-27 18:41:58 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:
And it's generally no good. :)

-Liang

Do you solemnly swear it?

(I'm sorry, I had to)

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Tarvos Telesto
Blood Fanatics
#126 - 2012-11-27 18:45:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarvos Telesto
CCP i got one question about safe logofski, let imagine, im on hull, like 5 structure left (no agresion, no actives modules etc), my safe countdown show me 0.00 sec ( this mean i can exit form client or log off, what happens if after 0.1sec after i log off, somone lock my ship and fire? i lose my ship? this safe countdown is perfect and working even in this wired situation? also when player see 0.00 sec noboby can lock my ship?

EvE isn't game, its style of living.

Irongut
Sex Money Guns
#127 - 2012-11-27 18:50:37 UTC
Yet more pointless fidling with in game systems and dumbing down rather than providing actual content or new features.

The safeties better stay permanantly off like the old popup warning does when you tick the box and I want a way to hide that useless red light on my HUD.
CCP Masterplan
C C P
C C P Alliance
#128 - 2012-11-27 18:54:37 UTC
Skippermonkey wrote:
Shaishi Otichoda wrote:
San Fransisco wrote:
When you log back in after a safe log off will you simply pop into existence and be able to act immediately?
I just tested this and you do 1000000km warp-in just to appear in space 1.8 AU from the spot where you logged out Cool

It looks like there are some issues to be fixed.

jeez... fix this

Yes, known issue. Will be fixed.

Kelduum Revaan wrote:
Something that doesn't seem to have been covered...

The new "safe logoff" doesn't allow you to have any modules active or similar, which is fine, but what about using the directional scanner?

Using the d-scanner whilst waiting out the safe-logoff timer is allowed. You're still able to access all the usual information to assess your surroundings without aborting the timer.

"This one time, on patch day..."

@ccp_masterplan  |  Team Five-0: Rewriting the law

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#129 - 2012-11-27 18:54:59 UTC
Tarvos Telesto wrote:
CCP i got one question about safe logofski, let imagine, im on hull, like 5 structure left (no agresion, no actives modules etc), my safe countdown show me 0.00 sec ( this mean i can exit form client or log off, what happens if after 0.1sec after i log off, somone lock my ship and fire? i lose my ship? its this safe countdown perfect and working even in this wired situation? also when player see 0.00 sec noboby may lock ship?

Eve works on 1 second ticks (or 2 second, or three, or more, depending on tidi).

If the client shows you as despawned, you're despawned. (at least if you don't have /wierd/ lag issues)

Though I'm not sure how despawn timers work with tidi in effect. And this.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Moraguth
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#130 - 2012-11-27 19:00:43 UTC
Will these changes still take into account if you're within a shield bubble (and not warp you away) like before?

you didn't say you were changing it, so I think your answer is that everything will be the same, but I still feel the need to ask.

I got a Feature Added!

Stop calling an Abaddon "abba-dawn".  It is "uh-bad-in" dictionary.com/abaddon

Akara Ito
Phalanx Solutions
#131 - 2012-11-27 19:06:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Akara Ito
I don't see a reason to use the save logoff thing over say, logging off but i guess thats a good sign.

Josefius wrote:
My Sig Saur .40 P229 doesn't have a safety.

I presume you don't "believe" in Evolution?
Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#132 - 2012-11-27 19:07:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Bloodpetal
I hope that safety is remembered between sessions.

That is going to get VERY VERY ANNOYING.

If I have to log in, undock, TURN OFF a safety and then LOCK + Activate a Warp Disruptor on a target that just undocked from my station because I haven't undocked in my current session and I fail to do any one of the steps because of this stupid safety switch I'm going to be very annoyed.

Remember the setting between seesions.

Where I am.

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#133 - 2012-11-27 19:09:16 UTC
Bloodpetal wrote:

If I have to JUMP a gate, TURN OFF a safety and then LOCK + Activate a Warp Disruptor and I fail to do any one of the steps because of this stupid safety switch I'm going to be very annoyed.

Between those sessions, yes.

Between one log in and the next, not yet.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Yusef Yeasef Yosef
Doomheim
#134 - 2012-11-27 19:16:27 UTC
Bloodpetal wrote:

If I have to log in, undock, TURN OFF a safety and then LOCK + Activate a Warp Disruptor on a target that just undocked from my station because I haven't undocked in my current session and I fail to do any one of the steps because of this stupid safety switch I'm going to be very annoyed.

From Page 3

CCP Greyscale wrote:
Eli Green wrote:
Jing Xin wrote:
I hope safety setting is persistent through docking, jumping, logging off. If it constantly defaults to green, some people will be seriously annoyed.

currently unless it has changed since last week it is not persistant Sad

Should be persisted per session, but not currently between sessions (see above). Ie, so long as you stay logged in, it stays the same; log out and it goes back to default.

Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#135 - 2012-11-27 19:18:21 UTC
i just found out that the safe logoff is something completely different than just pressing the logoff button and watching the usual logoff process :O
DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#136 - 2012-11-27 19:21:43 UTC  |  Edited by: DarthNefarius
Steve Ronuken wrote:

Though I'm not sure how despawn timers work with tidi in effect. And this.

Hmmmm I recall only once where TiDi was actually tested ABUSED MANHANDLED in HI SEC on Tranquility & the bugs that surfaced with Crimewatch almost makes me think issues are bound to pop up once mores Blink
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#137 - 2012-11-27 19:25:45 UTC
darius mclever wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

Thoughts:

1.) When I imagine changing the "safety" settings, I always imagined something in the escape menus that would pull me away from what's happing in space around me. I applaud the little UI button that clearly indicates my safety setting, and enables me to change it fluidly during a battle. With that said, I would like to be able to define my 'default' setting. I understand the need for everyone's default to be "safe" to start, but I really think having to switch it from safe to partially safe or living dangerous every time I log in is excessive. This is really only a minor gripe though....

2.) Do you have to come to a complete stop to "safe" logoff? It really sounded like you do, which is awkward:
--- If you can't move, you can't be aligned to escape assuming a hostile enter's grid. Many players often counter enemy probes by aligning to a warp out, and warping the moment a hostile enters the grid, but if they have to align from rest first, larger ships will be easily caught.
--- Essentially the upcoming changes mean you can NOT easily escape from hostiles probing for you by logging out.... even if you are safe at the moment by being at a random bookmark and cloaked. This is detrimental to any supercap pilot that attempts to log out in space when a determined opponent is in system. Their only options are to log out inside a POS, or to cyno out of the system. Perhaps reduce the "safe" logoff timer to 20 seconds, and then the window to catch these ships is small enough to make it generally possible.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2232017#post2232017

movement commands prevent log off. but not moving already.

This is excellent....

darius mclever wrote:

also ... why cant the super cap sit out all timers and then log off safely once the cloak is turned off?

You can scan down a supercap, warp to it, and aggress it within 30 seconds.
--- 5 seconds to notice the super's no longer cloaked.
--- 7 seconds to complete a scan with probes (you can get a 100% hit on a supercap with probes at 8 au range, so there's not positioning required)
--- 15 seconds to warp to it.
--- 1 second to ecm burst...

If the time was lowered to 20 seconds, the above scenario just won't happen... and it allows people to be aggressive with their supercaps...
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#138 - 2012-11-27 19:38:40 UTC
Aggressions with super caps is good. It leads to more super cap losses. Smile

Stuff exploding is good. Think of all the poor graphics people who know that a limited number of people have seen their supercap blowing up sequences.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Yusef Yeasef Yosef
Doomheim
#139 - 2012-11-27 19:43:13 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Aggressions with super caps is good. It leads to more super cap losses. Smile

Stuff exploding is good. Think of all the poor graphics people who know that a limited number of people have seen their supercap blowing up sequences.

Back before they were regularly seeded, I used to take the Titan I was testing for a particular mirror to FD once I was done testing it to let everyone there blow it up.

They do blow up nice.
Raid'En
#140 - 2012-11-27 19:46:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Raid'En
OMG safe logoff !!
I won't have anymore a titan's pilot ask me to check that he really disappeared from the POS