These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Happy Safe Fun Time!

First post First post
Author
Terrorfrodo
Interbus Universal
#241 - 2012-11-28 10:49:05 UTC
MainDrain wrote:
Too many posts, struggling to find the answer to my quick questions

Scenario 1;

Im a high sec mission runner, im undocking and warping to the site to shoot NPCs. Do i need to set my safety to at least YELLOW to allow me to fire at the mission NPCs (as this generates a suspect flag)

Scenario 2;

Im a high sec incursion runner, im in a site. As they are concord sanctioned hostiles do i need to have my safety set to at least YELLOW to allow me to fire at Sansha.

As a general rule im very happy with this change, i was a victim of the typical can baiting as a new player when i first started, however as the new players will be killing NPC rats they will likely have their safeties set to yellow at least. This will not prevent them opening a can baiters can as this only generates a suspect flag (from memory)

Can i anyone say 100% the answers to the above

You just let your safety at green, nothing of what you want to do generates a suspect flag, only a weapons flag.

Yuri Wayfare
Suddenly Ninjas
Tear Extraction And Reclamation Service
#242 - 2012-11-28 10:52:06 UTC
MainDrain wrote:

Scenario 1;

Im a high sec mission runner, im undocking and warping to the site to shoot NPCs. Do i need to set my safety to at least YELLOW to allow me to fire at the mission NPCs (as this generates a suspect flag)

Scenario 2;

Im a high sec incursion runner, im in a site. As they are concord sanctioned hostiles do i need to have my safety set to at least YELLOW to allow me to fire at Sansha.

As a general rule im very happy with this change, i was a victim of the typical can baiting as a new player when i first started, however as the new players will be killing NPC rats they will likely have their safeties set to yellow at least. This will not prevent them opening a can baiters can as this only generates a suspect flag (from memory)

Shooting red NPCs does not give you a suspect flag.

And neither does shooting that little red frigate that's stealing your stuff Lol

"Suddenly, trash pickers! HUNDREDS of winos going through your recyclables." -Piugattuk

Be careful what you wish for.

CCP Masterplan
C C P
C C P Alliance
#243 - 2012-11-28 11:06:42 UTC
iskflakes wrote:
I have some questions about safe logoff:

* It can be interrupted, so if somebody has no timers is it not safer to NOT to use safe logoff? (Once you have logged off by closing the client, nobody can give you an aggression timer and you vanish in 1 minute nomatter what).

* Isn't closing the client safer because you can do it after jumping without decloaking, or in the middle of warp?

* Can you do this inside a bubble? Does the bubble aggress you?

* Can this be done during the 30 seconds invulnerability timer gained after jumping, or undocking?

* Does TiDi increase the timer length?

* You vanish without E-Warping, do you E-Warp when you log back in?

* If you do E-Warp back in, are you still aggressable while in the E-Warp spot but before entering warp?

* Will the existing logoff mechanics remain permanently, or is this a move towards replacing them?

If anybody knows of official answers to these I'd love to see them :)

1) Safe logoff will get your ship removed from space in 30s compared to 60s+ for normal logoff, plus you get to see it happen rather than wondering if someone found you at the last minute. Also note that now you can still pick up a PVP flag AFTER logging off (but before the ship is removed), and so be held in space indefinitely.
2) In the jump case, you'll lose your gate cloak when you disconnect and begin to ewarp. In the second case, the timers won't start until you warp ends, so you'll still be in space and vulnerable for longer.
3) Yes. No
4) Can't activate safe logoff whilst under any kind of cloak. The station case, I'll need to check
5) Yes, safe logoff timer (as with regular logoff and combat timers) will get dilated in line with everything else
6) Yes, ship always perorms an ewarp when logging in, regardless of how you logged off. (Unless you are logging back in immediately after logging off and your ship is still in space from your previous session)
7) Yes. You can be attacked and tackled at the login ewarp spot as normal.
8) The existing 'unsafe' logoff behaviour is not expected to change, and will remain as the default behaviour. Ewarps will continue to happen in this case (unless tackled)

MainDrain wrote:

Scenario 1;

Scenario 2;

Neither of these two situations will give you a suspect flag. You can attack mission and belt NPCs with safeties at Full.

"This one time, on patch day..."

@ccp_masterplan  |  Team Five-0: Rewriting the law

MainDrain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#244 - 2012-11-28 11:06:48 UTC
Ah ok! thank you both for the answer. I knew attacking NPCs gave you a flag, i always thought it was a suspect flag, but would make sense it being a weapons one.

Im at work so cant test this on bucky, but does weapons and suspect have different symbols?
CCP Masterplan
C C P
C C P Alliance
#245 - 2012-11-28 11:13:44 UTC
Yes they do:
http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/63443/1/logo2_timers_screenshot.png
From left-to-right: PVP flag, Suspect flag, Weapons flag

The NPC flag is like the PVP flag, but yellow. The Criminal flag is like Suspect flag, but red.

"This one time, on patch day..."

@ccp_masterplan  |  Team Five-0: Rewriting the law

feihcsiM
THE B0YS
#246 - 2012-11-28 11:15:30 UTC
Looks like both can-flipping and killing mission runners that get annoyed with ninja salvaging will now be finally, irreversibly dead. Sad

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

MainDrain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#247 - 2012-11-28 11:16:28 UTC
CCP Masterplan wrote:
Yes they do:
http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/63443/1/logo2_timers_screenshot.png
From left-to-right: PVP flag, Suspect flag, Weapons flag

The NPC flag is like the PVP flag, but yellow. The Criminal flag is like Suspect flag, but red.

Cheers for that! they are very clear actually.

Quick question, whats the symbol for the Weapons flag supposed to be? Could it not be a symbol in the same style representing the style of weapon that generated the flat (i.e. a red outlined generic drone)
Terrorfrodo
Interbus Universal
#248 - 2012-11-28 12:00:44 UTC
A lot of people see only the little changes that make EVE 'safer' and ignore that there are also some fundamental changes coming that will make EVE less safe.

5 minute npc aggression timer which prevents safe logoff. Ability to give someone an aggression timer after he has logged off. No safe logoff after jumping through a gate while under cloak or when doing capital escalations in wormholes. These are huge changes in favor of us pvpers and against pvp-avoiding carebears. The new 'nanny features' like safety and safe logoff are really just small changes so set off some of the other changes making the game more dangerous. And they just make sense.

When the safety setting is made persistent, this will be a great change for the better :)

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#249 - 2012-11-28 12:15:13 UTC
feihcsiM wrote:
Looks like both can-flipping and killing mission runners that get annoyed with ninja salvaging will now be finally, irreversibly dead. Sad

Why?

Because once you steal, you're a suspect, and thus a legal target for anyone. Which means people won't need to change their safety settings to shoot you (at which point you blap them, because you're pvp fit and they're not)

Can flipping, as is, is dead, because anyone can take from a suspect without getting any kind of flag. Though you could cycle it through someone else to get a clean can.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#250 - 2012-11-28 12:37:30 UTC
feihcsiM wrote:

Those things are dead thanks to carebearwatch anyway. I still believe having the entire universe be able to kill you because you stole 1 veldspar from a miners can (oh wait miners dont even use cans now thanks to the huge buff they got recently, lets replace that with stealing the tech 1 peashooter from a missioners rats wreck) is horrific overkill, and is a rather obvious attempt to discourage fighting, stealing, etc in highsec by opening up those activities to excessive retaliation
Viscount Hood
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#251 - 2012-11-28 13:24:19 UTC
marvelous idea.
iskflakes
#252 - 2012-11-28 13:40:21 UTC
CCP Masterplan wrote:

1) Safe logoff will get your ship removed from space in 30s compared to 60s+ for normal logoff, plus you get to see it happen rather than wondering if someone found you at the last minute. Also note that now you can still pick up a PVP flag AFTER logging off (but before the ship is removed), and so be held in space indefinitely.
2) In the jump case, you'll lose your gate cloak when you disconnect and begin to ewarp. In the second case, the timers won't start until you warp ends, so you'll still be in space and vulnerable for longer.
3) Yes. No
4) Can't activate safe logoff whilst under any kind of cloak. The station case, I'll need to check
5) Yes, safe logoff timer (as with regular logoff and combat timers) will get dilated in line with everything else
6) Yes, ship always perorms an ewarp when logging in, regardless of how you logged off. (Unless you are logging back in immediately after logging off and your ship is still in space from your previous session)
7) Yes. You can be attacked and tackled at the login ewarp spot as normal.
8) The existing 'unsafe' logoff behaviour is not expected to change, and will remain as the default behaviour. Ewarps will continue to happen in this case (unless tackled)

Great answers, thanks! I'll remember to safe logout when I'm next trapped in a bubble without flags. It would be nice if the cloaking behaviour was changed though: In my opinion if you're cloaked without any flags then you're not logging off to escape combat, so should be able to log out without taking the risk of decloaking.

-

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#253 - 2012-11-28 15:40:45 UTC
MainDrain wrote:

Scenario 1;

Scenario 2;

Shooting NPC's does NOT earn you a suspect flag.... So, in both cases you do NOT need to set your safety to yellow or red... green will be just fine!
Claire Raynor
NovaGear
#254 - 2012-11-28 15:41:29 UTC
This is all EPIC - like everything that is comming out on the 4th!! It's like EvE has really REALLY stepped up to the bar.

Love it.
Gainard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#255 - 2012-11-28 16:07:49 UTC
Just AWESOME. Me likey. Good job, I never even thought of that one. Big smile

Man, I train for certain goals and then the related skills / modules / ships get nerfed. I hate to be addicted to EVE.

Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#256 - 2012-11-28 16:13:42 UTC
Damn horrible change.

EVE always rewarded those who understand mechanics, now you reward people who slack and don't know what they do. You even put a giant big icon in their face to tell them what is happening. Horrible, horrible change, absolutely horrendous, this is the kind of stuff that would never have happened the first few years of this game.

You're going in the right direction when it comes to game balance (ship, ewar etc), even tho you still do some mistakes there (HML etc); but the game in general is really going towards a happy fluffly la-la land a'la Hello Kitty's Online Adventure. Good riddance, have fun getting your customer service flooded with people who want their ship back after being killed :anywhere:. This is the kind of people you attract, and that is disregarding all the kills that used to happen that won't.

Several of my latest kills have been people I probed down after they logged off, you probably deprived me personally off a good source of kills. Because I bothered to learn game mechanics, and they didn't. And yet you reward them. Not sure how you think this is a good way to "progress", but yay to the brainiac who figured this out. Probably that lazy guy who likes to live off others. There's always someone.

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.

Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#257 - 2012-11-28 16:26:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Misanth
CCP Masterplan wrote:

There's one good and one horrendous thing in there.

Picking up PvP flag after logging off is great. This has been needed for a long time. However:

30sec is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too short log off time. Have you ever combat probed people? I have. Alot. I have multiple dedicated combat probers in cov ops (cov ops 5 and all astrometric 5 skills) plus t3 pilots (all t3 subsystem 5 and probing 5). Usually what happens when someone logs off is this - it takes 10sec+ to launch your preferably 5+ (I use 7) probes. You want to know his location already so you can get a 2au probe or less there, even with great skills. Depending on size ofc, but I'm assuming a regular Tengu or similar ratter.

If you're quite fast, you might take say a second per probe to position, + let's pretend they are already 2au from your last probe so you don't even have to resize them. That's another 7sec on top of your 10+. Now, pretend you get an instant hit because of your :awsomeness: so you can immediately warp to him. You have a fast ship that goes into warp in say 3 sec, to make a round fine number to add to the 17 you had. So you have spent 20 sec of his 30 to - go through warp, land, start tackle, aggress. You cannot do that in 10 seconds, that is literally impossible.

You have to make the log off timer 60sec, it's already fairly close for bigger systems, 60sec only really works if he's dumb enough to let you dscan him down and is slow at logging off. Even with the 2mins timers from PvE activity, I've still had plenty of Tengus ewarping off in low shields because I simply can't get my probes there fast enough. Even with max skills, good dscans kills and alot of experience from doing this.

Edit; So to summarize, the only way to catch someone who logs off during safe-system now: use a cov ops pilot, with great skills, with probes pre-launched, and a smartbomb fitted so he don't have to worry about locking the pilot when landing. Preferably he also has his friends able to arrive within 10sec (titanbridge or blob or already in system etc) as you'll die immediately if this guy clicks "aboard" and kill you. I.e. this is another small-scale PvP nerf, blob boost.

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#258 - 2012-11-28 16:28:42 UTC
Misanth wrote:
CCP Masterplan wrote:

There's one good and one horrendous thing in there.

Picking up PvP flag after logging off is great. This has been needed for a long time. However:

30sec is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too short log off time. Have you ever combat probed people? I have. Alot. I have multiple dedicated combat probers in cov ops (cov ops 5 and all astrometric 5 skills) plus t3 pilots (all t3 subsystem 5 and probing 5). Usually what happens when someone logs off is this - it takes 10sec+ to launch your preferably 5+ (I use 7) probes. You want to know his location already so you can get a 2au probe or less there, even with great skills. Depending on size ofc, but I'm assuming a regular Tengu or similar ratter.

If you're quite fast, you might take say a second per probe to position, + let's pretend they are already 2au from your last probe so you don't even have to resize them. That's another 7sec on top of your 10+. Now, pretend you get an instant hit because of your :awsomeness: so you can immediately warp to him. You have a fast ship that goes into warp in say 3 sec, to make a round fine number to add to the 17 you had. So you have spent 20 sec of his 30 to - go through warp, land, start tackle, aggress. You cannot do that in 10 seconds, that is literally impossible.

You have to make the log off timer 60sec, it's already fairly close for bigger systems, 60sec only really works if he's dumb enough to let you dscan him down and is slow at logging off. Even with the 2mins timers from PvE activity, I've still had plenty of Tengus ewarping off in low shields because I simply can't get my probes there fast enough. Even with max skills, good dscans kills and alot of experience from doing this.

Something to note. If the ratter engaged an NPC, they have to run down their NPC timer before they can log off. Not just the 30 seconds.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#259 - 2012-11-28 16:39:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Misanth
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Something to note. If the ratter engaged an NPC, they have to run down their NPC timer before they can log off. Not just the 30 seconds.

Yes, but most ratters today already warp to safe (cloak there, if no POS), wait 15min, then log off. And a great many of them don't log off at all if they see probes, which in sub 14au systems (or if you don't already know his spot) happens quite alot. Read the edit to my post too: to really catch someone reliably, you'd need a suicidal cov ops with smartbomb, pre-launched probes, and he still needs to have his fleetmates arrive within 10sec or something before he's insta-volleyed.

It's quite damn silly, making ratters completely safe, and it's alot more easy to probe in systems where you have your blob + pre-launched probes, i.e., defenders. Aggressive and mobile PvPers will be screwed by default. Another hit for roaming small-scale PvPers, as we just keep posting over and over how that needs love and blobbing a nerf. Instead, CCP does the opposite.

StevieTopSiders
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#260 - 2012-11-28 18:15:00 UTC
Can a dev shed some light on where and why you appear in space after a safe log-out?

Doing some preliminary testing, I usually end up a few AU away from celestials (and where I logged out) after a safe log-out. I tried safe logging-out in a POS: on the first try I appeared near my other log-in points (not near where I logged out and a few AU away from celestials in space), but not there exactly; on the second try, I appeared back in the POS.

Thanks!