These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Happy Safe Fun Time!

First post First post
Author
Rytell Tybat
Doomheim
#201 - 2012-11-27 23:57:27 UTC
This persistent setting business is actually hilarious. Why on earth (or in New Eden) would you release this in this state? You can't even change it while you're in station, can you? Lol.

When you eventually do get around to doing this properly, please make sure that you can also change this setting while in station, or better yet from the... "SETTINGS" menu.

Hilarious.
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#202 - 2012-11-27 23:59:44 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
So you are flat out saying Grayscale is lying?
I'm saying he's being disingenuous with the "we didn't have time" excuse.
Ramius Decimus
Daitengu Fleet
#203 - 2012-11-28 00:39:16 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:

CCP Greyscale is here to tell you all about a new feature coming with EVE Online: Retribution which will make it less likely that you'll feel the wrath of the Space Police for an accidental misclick...

I can't shake the impression that they got this idea from Google's "Safe Search" setting options. To be honest, I don't like it. Removes the need to practice care and take responsibility for negligent actions. Do people really "accidentally" target capsuleer/CONCORD ships and "misclick" a weapons module in high sec? Seems rediculous to me that this game mechanic is even being pondered let alone being developed for implementation.
If at all, this should be a completely optional feature where if you choose to not use it, you never have to see it.

As for the log off countdown, I think it's redundant and exaggerate. I do understand the problem of people logging off while in peril or to evade in deadspace but I thought it had already been changed to deny exploitation. Why not just make another revision to the current "logging off while in space" stipulations? And what happens when someone gets disconnected while in space with the new system?

Rear Admiral

Commander-in-Chief

90th Fleet

Caldari Navy

Klister Ethelred
Parallax Shift
#204 - 2012-11-28 00:47:17 UTC
The problem with this is, for people like me, is that I live way out at the end of the internet, down a long gravel road, in Montana. The internet is not consistent here. I get disconnected all the time.

If you implement this system I will lose a ship every time I play.

I need to retain the mechanic whereby my ship warps off when I am disconnected. You created that mechanic for a reason.

I understand the problem that the logoffski creates.

"I'd rather be pissed off then pissed on"

"This is one of those times when it's important to know the difference between 'then' and 'than'."

Klister Ethelred
Parallax Shift
#205 - 2012-11-28 00:49:56 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
So you are flat out saying Grayscale is lying?
I'm saying he's being disingenuous with the "we didn't have time" excuse.

Yeah, no kidding. Either it's done, and tested, and you release it. Or it's not done, and you don't.

"This is one of those times when it's important to know the difference between 'then' and 'than'."

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#206 - 2012-11-28 01:12:13 UTC
Klister Ethelred wrote:
I need to retain the mechanic whereby my ship warps off when I am disconnected. You created that mechanic for a reason.
That still exists. The new safe logoff is an additional method of logging off (for those that are anal and/or paranoid), not a replacement for the usual "warping off" method.
Klister Ethelred
Parallax Shift
#207 - 2012-11-28 01:24:30 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Klister Ethelred wrote:
That still exists. The new safe logoff is an additional method of logging off (for those that are anal and/or paranoid), not a replacement for the usual "warping off" method.

I found the post about this on page 3 of this thread, but thanks for the reassurance.

and...hey! I found your blog the other day. Good stuff.

Zagdul
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#208 - 2012-11-28 01:46:16 UTC
Quote:
You're deploying or reconnecting with drones

What happens when the drones get stuck in 'Returning'?

Dual Pane idea: Click!

CCP Please Implement

87102-6
Doomheim
#209 - 2012-11-28 02:49:42 UTC  |  Edited by: 87102-6
Regarding the "Safety Button" (the green dot): someone didn't think this through, as it conflicts with "Show Readout". Because I couldn't find any present-day screenshots on Google Images showing what the readout looks like presently, here you go:

http://postimage.org/image/pqxcktnp3/

So, err... what do you plan on doing about that? :-)

Edit: Oh, one other thing -- how does this impact folks who are colourblind? I myself am not, but I have seen many posts from others on the forums who are (first saw hard evidence of this in the dev blog post titled Stay On Target!).
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#210 - 2012-11-28 03:30:20 UTC
Also this is something that popped up in my head.

If you use safe logoff with a ship inside a POS and that person is not a member of the corp - will that pilot spawn inside when logging on? And thus instantly get eject out of the ship (the emergency warp allowed us some time to put in pw before arriving at the pos).

Also if you spawn on spot, that should set up some pretty nifty logon traps... lol Where suddenly 20 ships appear just on top of you after they log on.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Destoya
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#211 - 2012-11-28 04:43:33 UTC
Chribba wrote:

If you use safe logoff with a ship inside a POS and that person is not a member of the corp - will that pilot spawn inside when logging on? And thus instantly get eject out of the ship (the emergency warp allowed us some time to put in pw before arriving at the pos).

Also if you spawn on spot, that should set up some pretty nifty logon traps... lol Where suddenly 20 ships appear just on top of you after they log on.

/c

You still warp in from 1 million KM, no matter if you use the new safe logoff or the older, more direct version
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#212 - 2012-11-28 05:15:15 UTC
Destoya wrote:
Chribba wrote:

/c

You still warp in from 1 million KM, no matter if you use the new safe logoff or the older, more direct version

Ahh neat, then that solves my POS problems Smile

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#213 - 2012-11-28 05:19:06 UTC
87102-6 wrote:
Regarding the "Safety Button" (the green dot): someone didn't think this through, as it conflicts with "Show Readout". Because I couldn't find any present-day screenshots on Google Images showing what the readout looks like presently, here you go:

You can quite clearly see tht the safety interlock sits comfortably between the cap/shield display and the readout numbers. The only issue will be the connecting lines, assuming that part of the UI has not been tweaked as well.
87102-6
Doomheim
#214 - 2012-11-28 05:36:07 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
87102-6 wrote:

You can quite clearly see tht the safety interlock sits comfortably between the cap/shield display and the readout numbers. The only issue will be the connecting lines, assuming that part of the UI has not been tweaked as well.

I agree with the latter part (the lines almost certainly will conflict), but I'm not sure about the former. I will need to bust out Photoshop or Paint.NET and overlay the two images with some layering adjustments to get pixel precision and see for myself. I'll post the results when I have them (I know how to do it, it's just an issue of time).

Unrelated to thread -- your Day 0 Advice Guide is fantastic. I wish I had this back when I started playing EVE in 2005. :)
Niko Lorenzio
United Eve Directorate
#215 - 2012-11-28 06:35:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Niko Lorenzio
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Ra Jackson wrote:
So will smartbombs be completely blocked from activation in hisec? Or will they miraculously shut down when a player comes into range? /edit: With the high security setting ofc.

Smartbombs require you to fully disable your safeties, yes. They're really not very smart, and there's no good way to prevent you from "accidentally" hitting that cloaked ship who sneaked into the mission with you and incurring the wrath of CONCORD.

CCP Greyscale wrote:
On persisting the safety button setting: it's something we were hoping to get into this release but didn't quite have time. I can't give any kind of estimate on if/when it will happen right now because we're in the final stages of release prep and our team is focusing on Retribution launch rather than anything else. Once we've shipped and tidied up after ourselves, we'll look at what we're working on next Smile

..... Sooo.... what happened to the 583rd promise to roll out ideas early in the design planning stages, or did I miss a memo?
Not that any of this makes a difference, us being less than a week from it hitting Tranquility, but EVE is a sandbox all about options and freedom to do things, not about protecting noobs or carebears at the expense of pvpers.
If you're asking yourself "What am I on about?" you obviously haven't thought this through.

#1. First of all, safety settings have to persist, Don't roll out broken features. If you don't think it's broken re-read some of the posts.

#2. So, if I want to use a smartbomb on my fit, I have to turn off my safeties... really... So if I want to make sure I don't get CONCORDED while accidentally targeting a fleet member in the locking frenzy I have to turn the safety on and off everytime I activate the smartbomb?

#3. No, It's not as quick and easy as activating a hardener. ALT+F2 or whatever activates a hardener. For safeties I'm assuming you will need to click on the UI, select the one you want, then confirm the selection.

#4. So every lowsec dweller and pirate from now on will be forced to remember to do the above every single time they log in... and if they forget to, they lose a target because they couldn't warp scramble him in time.... nice....

#5. Every high sec dweller now will have to remember to change the safety whenever they jump into/out of lowsec?

#6. As I roam LS, looking for pirates to kill, in my gang of spider tanking, remote boosting ships, I may encounter a pirate who is not an outlaw. That means I need to make a split second decision to scramble and shoot at him by pressing ENTER when the pop up comes up. Now, I will have to turn off safety which will... well... result in a lot of friendly fire, given that no popup will come up warning me of my illegal actions when I accidentally shoot a fleet mate which I'm remote repping.

#7. Theres nothing wrong with the warning messages, or at least a combination of this with warning messages. The warning messages truly allow you to pick and differentiate between accidents and intended actions. You can choose which warning messages to disable or enable, not throw them into two settings: ALWAYS DIE IN A FIRE or LIVE AS A CAREBEAR.

SERIOUSLY WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA? You couldn't just give a bit more damn and do it in a way that makes sense could you? Keep the damn safety feature but leave the warnings as well. For example:

• When Safety is on, disable all illegal actions as you mentioned.
  • When the Safety is off, you still get that popup warning message unless you choose to disable them forever. Those that never want to see a damn warning popup will turn it off once and for all. Those that want to be able to make that decision on a case by case basis will keep safety off but warnings on, which will basically allow us to keep it the way it is now.
Why couldn't it be done this way? Can you explain? Does it make too much sense, or you just get a kick out of trolling us with one ****** up change with every otherwise great expansion?

You said it yourself... you're making this HUGE change and imposing it upon EVERYONE that PVPs on daily basis to prevent a few instances of rare scams? You're not saving anyone any hassle, you're pissing everyone off to protect a few people who make bad decisions or don't bother reading warning messages.

*Ramble mode off*

The CSM XI Election are now open until March 25th, 2016. Consider Niko Lorenzio for CSM XI.

CSM matters, your voice matters, your vote matters!

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#216 - 2012-11-28 07:43:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Poetic Stanziel
Niko Lorenzio wrote:
SERIOUSLY WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?
Greyscale.

This game has persistence in the majority of its features. Default orbit. Most of the UI. The configuration of our modules on the HUD. Etc. Etc. Etc. Persistence between login sessions is a default bit of design in nearly every feature CCP adds to this game, where persistence is applicable.

Nobody can reasonably argue that persistence is not applicable where the safety is concerned. People are flat-out gobsmacked that it was left out of the design, because it's common sense that it would be persistent. Which suggests that leaving it out was a conscious design decision, not some oversight, or something left out due to lack of time.

To maintain persistence here is the easiest thing in the world (hyperbolic, but you get the point.) Load safety setting at login. Save safety setting at logoff. That's it. Carbon probably has an API call for saving settings.

This is a Greyscale initiative. And he wants to see if player whining on the issue dies down after a few weeks of it being in play. I think one thing we've all learned about Greyscale is that he really does not like PvP, and most of his design ideas reveal that as bright as day.

(Notice in a quote above, when answering about persistence, Greyscale not only states he can't say when it will be fixed, he states he can't say IF it will be fixed.)
Onyx Nyx
The Veldspar Protectorate
#217 - 2012-11-28 09:02:30 UTC
Bah.. silly youngins. Back in my day, you lived with the consequences of your actions.

I kill kittens, and puppies and bunnies. I maim toddlers and teens and then more.

• Richard (http://www.lfgcomic.com/)
Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#218 - 2012-11-28 09:03:25 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Niko Lorenzio wrote:
SERIOUSLY WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?
Greyscale.

This game has persistence in the majority of its features. Default orbit. Most of the UI. The configuration of our modules on the HUD. Etc. Etc. Etc. Persistence between login sessions is a default bit of design in nearly every feature CCP adds to this game, where persistence is applicable.

Nobody can reasonably argue that persistence is not applicable where the safety is concerned. People are flat-out gobsmacked that it was left out of the design, because it's common sense that it would be persistent. Which suggests that leaving it out was a conscious design decision, not some oversight, or something left out due to lack of time.

To maintain persistence here is the easiest thing in the world (hyperbolic, but you get the point.) Load safety setting at login. Save safety setting at logoff. That's it. Carbon probably has an API call for saving settings.

This is a Greyscale initiative. And he wants to see if player whining on the issue dies down after a few weeks of it being in play. I think one thing we've all learned about Greyscale is that he really does not like PvP, and most of his design ideas reveal that as bright as day.

(Notice in a quote above, when answering about persistence, Greyscale not only states he can't say when it will be fixed, he states he can't say IF it will be fixed.)

Well what does it really change? I still can shoot people whenever I want (possibly die horribly to Concord but nevermind...) ...and Crime watch->High sec pirates/pvpers generate dozens of new targets....just think about the interesting ship fits we are goint to see...

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Niko Lorenzio
United Eve Directorate
#219 - 2012-11-28 09:03:50 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:

OMG.. How did I miss that? That is crazy. You guys friggen serious? That better have been a typo.

The CSM XI Election are now open until March 25th, 2016. Consider Niko Lorenzio for CSM XI.

CSM matters, your voice matters, your vote matters!

Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#220 - 2012-11-28 09:04:17 UTC
Onyx Nyx wrote:
Bah.. silly youngins. Back in my day, you lived with the consequences of your actions.

In Soviet Russia consequences live with you.

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP