These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Working on tactics to nullify suicide ganking in high sec

Author
Shylari Avada
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#101 - 2012-11-25 09:24:39 UTC
I like how this thread is needed, when Goons have posted literally everywhere how to avoid getting your freighter ganked.

I mean- why would you want to listen to people killing 10-40 freighters a day, telling you EXACTLY how to avoid losing your stuff anyway right?
Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#102 - 2012-11-25 09:31:26 UTC
Because Goons are evil and shouldn't be trusted and EVE is dying since they're the source of all of EVE's problems.

:colbert:

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Vince Snetterton
#103 - 2012-11-25 14:00:03 UTC
Carlos Condit wrote:
As someone who has a freighter pilot main, I think freighters need a slight buff, nothing serious though. However there are a million different ways to avoid being ganked, one of which is webbing which is the closest thing to invulnerable as it gets. Also, stop with the AFKing. Most of the kills are on AFK pilots who sit there letting people scan them for ages and letting corps get gank squads together. If you are ATK then you give gankers less time to think about if they want to choose YOU as the target. The last thing is the amount you haul. You can safely haul more than 1bil around the hotspots but when you get crazy and haul around 50+ plex you somewhat deserve it.

It has been proven that webbing no longer works as a defensive tactic.
The gankers are now burning Ibis pilots with a point on them (only takes a couple) to Concord until a high speed Stabber bumps the freighter. Numerous Stabbers are then used to bump the freighter out of gate gun range, where the gankers then attack with Talos.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#104 - 2012-11-25 14:25:08 UTC
Vince Snetterton wrote:

But to laugh at the general co-ordination of high sec players is like laughing at Incursion runner co-ordination, or wh squads doing PvE.

No, it's completely different. These are the same highsec players that outnumber us by at least 10 to 1, but complain about the CSM being almost entirely dominated by nullsec reps.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#105 - 2012-11-25 14:52:29 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Vince Snetterton wrote:

But to laugh at the general co-ordination of high sec players is like laughing at Incursion runner co-ordination, or wh squads doing PvE.

No, it's completely different. These are the same highsec players that outnumber us by at least 10 to 1, but complain about the CSM being almost entirely dominated by nullsec reps.

Come on bro, they shouldn't have to vote to have their voices heard, everyone knows that.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Mag's
Azn Empire
#106 - 2012-11-25 15:11:59 UTC
Riddick Liddell wrote:
- They look for people with single accounts and no real option to multi box a web alt. My guess, the reason CCp are ignoring it.
I'd like to see you back that up.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#107 - 2012-11-25 17:16:49 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Riddick Liddell wrote:
- They look for people with single accounts and no real option to multi box a web alt. My guess, the reason CCp are ignoring it.

What. People have already noted that popping an obvious web alt isn't such a big deal, especially when the people using it are likely to be ~profitably ganked~ (otherwise they'd just autopilot).

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Mag's
Azn Empire
#108 - 2012-11-25 17:27:50 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Riddick Liddell wrote:

What. People have already noted that popping an obvious web alt isn't such a big deal, especially when the people using it are likely to be ~profitably ganked~ (otherwise they'd just autopilot).
No, not that. I'd like him to suggest how they are checking someone is a single account user, with no real option and how this is related to his assertion CCP are ignoring it.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

GallowsCalibrator
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#109 - 2012-11-26 09:38:22 UTC
Andski wrote:
double-wrapping is your friend

Note: This advice is only valid in Eve Online.

PS: The answer to avoid getting suicide ganked, as many people have already posted:

Plan your trip, scout ahead, avoid known gank spots, and don't carry a tonne of high-value, low-volume items in something that aligns like a lethargic pig.
Baden Luskan
Freeworlds Collective
#110 - 2012-11-26 09:55:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Baden Luskan
Simple solution...just shoot someone in a starter ship at each gate. Concord will show up, pop the alt, and then sit there for a few hours. This will then make CONCORD's assistance time instant (while the ships linger at the location of the incident).

Last I checked, this was frowned upon by CCP, but hell, if you yell some meaningful comment in local before you shoot someone, you can possibally claim you were RP'ing (kinda like how certain people get away with harrassing other players) and therefore CONCORD showing up was just part of your emerision.
Tuxedo Catfish
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#111 - 2012-11-26 15:59:55 UTC
Baden Luskan wrote:
Simple solution...just shoot someone in a starter ship at each gate. Concord will show up, pop the alt, and then sit there for a few hours. This will then make CONCORD's assistance time instant (while the ships linger at the location of the incident).

Last I checked, this was frowned upon by CCP, but hell, if you yell some meaningful comment in local before you shoot someone, you can possibally claim you were RP'ing (kinda like how certain people get away with harrassing other players) and therefore CONCORD showing up was just part of your emerision.

The first thing any competent suicide gank does is get aggression on an arbitrary target (or a previous freighter) and undock in GCC'd newbships to pull existing CONCORD spawns away from the target area. They can also bump the target off the gate grid, making it impractical to plan this sort of thing in advance.
Elistea
BLUE Regiment.
#112 - 2012-11-26 16:42:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Elistea
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
I have been struggling with tactics to neutralize freighter ganking in high sec but unfortunately, I can't envision any.
Most of the gankers are already insta-targets now in high sec, and no one has been able to mount a decent defense.
And I don't see any changes to that fact with the new game mechanics.
In fact, it will be worse.

Is there anyone out there that thinks they have tactics that will work in 2 weeks?

Il'l give you a hint.

Whats wrong with this picture?

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=15258262

If you get it, u are one step closer.
Herr Hammer Draken
#113 - 2012-11-27 07:08:33 UTC
Baden Luskan wrote:

Concord response time is not instant when on grid.
In 1.0, 0.9, and 0.8 security status systems there is no difference in response time from concord when on grid or off.

In 0.7, 0.6 and 0.5 systems there is faster response time when concord is on grid. But it is only a few seconds faster not instant.

Herr Hammer Draken "The Amarr Prophet"

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#114 - 2012-11-27 11:43:28 UTC
Elistea wrote:
http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=15258262

Wow … that's almost a year's free subscriptions for the folks who ganked the freighter.

We cannot repel stupid of this magnitude.
Christine Peeveepeeski
Low Sec Concepts
#115 - 2012-11-27 12:55:24 UTC
Ok, you aren't going to nullify it but doing the following helps.

Take one providence (highest armour value), add slave/armour implants to the hauler pilot. Fleet with an armour booster (use a damnation just in case the legion gets alpha'd out of spite). As an extra layer of protection take a logi or two so that you can rep up any damage that hasn't killed you.

You now have a much, much larger tank. Now don't carry more than 2-3 bill in goodies.

None of this is visible if you do it right ;) All the gankers see is a freighter because if you are smart you'll have the booster and logi's following you 1 jump ahead and behind so you have eyes and ears everywhere.

You could also add webbing ships to the mix so your warp time is faster (although this won't actually help you if someone wants the gank).

Hope that helps.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#116 - 2012-11-27 13:12:11 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Vince Snetterton wrote:

rofl, you, Mallak, owe me one shirt, as I spit coffee on it while laughing at your post. Don't know why it tickled me so, maybe I'm still drunk from last night, but lol anyway.
Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#117 - 2012-11-27 13:24:43 UTC
Another option... Have a corpmate along to pop any loot that drops if you are ganked. Might as well remove profit from the picture and make the gankers waste money.
Capt Starfox
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#118 - 2012-12-02 22:15:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Capt Starfox
I got this. ..There are a lot of great and helpful posts here, nice work! This has been said [arbitrary number] amount of times, but I would like to add something. Common sense in association with: Do the research yourself and figure it out. I hear Google is great. I just did a quick 5s search and found 3 different sites about strategies on avoiding freighter ganks; -without really trying. Yes... sometimes you have to do some reading, I know.. I know. But this really isn't that hard, I mean holy hell there's even a very informative summary about it written by Mittani, just have to read.

Abandon all hope ye who x up in fleet