These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Pulling the Plug on WiS

First post First post First post
Author
Nick Rich
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#341 - 2012-11-28 15:57:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Nick Rich
If someone you do not like it, they can simply turn off the СQ, and go on to admire the poor texture of the old docks. (see Gallente hangar).

Sorry for my english, but I do not use a translator, because I want to talk to you in the same language.

oldbutfeelingyoung
Perkone
Caldari State
#342 - 2012-11-28 17:51:58 UTC
Koen L wrote:
So no more dressing barbies and spin them inside a room with a door.
Take out the code, not worth maintaining it.
Play second life, if you liked it.



wow these barbie lovers keep showing up,man you have to stop playing with Dolls and admit that here

R.S.I2014

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#343 - 2012-11-28 18:22:01 UTC
Second life - where real man can wear high heels and nobody cares.
EVE online - same, but with spaceships.
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#344 - 2012-11-28 18:24:58 UTC
Second life sucks there is no spaceships. Now if I could have both my barbie dress up sexy time mode + spaceships Eve would be perfect
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#345 - 2012-11-28 18:37:21 UTC
I'm not sure what CCP is planning, but walking around in CQ is alot smoother on the test server than it is on TQ. They have done some improvements to the fps, a step needed before we get multi-avatar areas. I'm not sure why they would bother unless they were planning something.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Johnny Bloomington
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#346 - 2012-11-28 19:32:52 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
I'm not sure what CCP is planning, but walking around in CQ is alot smoother on the test server than it is on TQ. They have done some improvements to the fps, a step needed before we get multi-avatar areas. I'm not sure why they would bother unless they were planning something.


Its running smoother because its on the test server. Is that because the test is less busy?

For people that want CCP to start working on POS's, don't you want to walk around your POS? WiP could add gameplay related functions to POS.

CCP wish list: show damage on ships and open that door!

Mashie Saldana
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#347 - 2012-11-28 20:07:32 UTC
Johnny Bloomington wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
I'm not sure what CCP is planning, but walking around in CQ is alot smoother on the test server than it is on TQ. They have done some improvements to the fps, a step needed before we get multi-avatar areas. I'm not sure why they would bother unless they were planning something.


Its running smoother because its on the test server. Is that because the test is less busy?

The CQ interacts as much with the server as the hangar view, as in the server has no idea where in the CQ your avatar is. All it does is react to when you click on the 3D buttons (holographic ship for ship fitting window).
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#348 - 2012-11-28 20:10:51 UTC
How do you pull the plug on something that was dead on arrival?

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#349 - 2012-11-28 20:59:37 UTC
Ghazu wrote:
DeMichael Crimson wrote:

Don't know what your problem is and quite honestly, I don't really care.
For some reason you seem hellbent on being antagonistic. Considering the fact that your character is only 2 years old and unknown to me, I see no reason for you to have this bitter attitude, let alone try to provoke rage especially since you're nowhere near being a vet.

If you continue trying to start some sort of forum flame war with me, I will use the report option.

DMC

Whatever you say, 4 year old npc alt.


Obviously you don't know me and didn't bother to check so I'll set the record straight for you.

THIS IS MY FIRST AND WILL ALWAYS BE MY MAIN CHARACTER.

If you need some proof, check my skills and standings.

Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
How do you pull the plug on something that was dead on arrival?


Actually, it just needed a lot of attention and TLC but due to the vocal minority, it got locked into a deep dark hole, er.... room, where it has slowly bled to death from all of the constant anti avatar attacks, much like this thread topic.

This is just another re-hash, everything has already been said and done a long time ago. It's nothing more than "Promises In The Dark"

DMC
chatgris
Quantum Cats Syndicate
Spaceship Bebop
#350 - 2012-11-28 21:01:07 UTC
Arduemont wrote:
Isn't this now the second engine you've completely dropped? Am I the only person who is more than a little pissed off about this?


If they have completely stopped work on WiS, I for one and very happy. The current focus on the ships has caused me resub my alt, and cancel the unsub on my main.
Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#351 - 2012-11-28 21:02:34 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
due to the vocal minority

Actually a very scary amount of unsubs.

DMC
Issler

CCP has no sense of humour.

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#352 - 2012-11-28 21:12:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Snow Axe
Arduemont wrote:
That question, "do players want WiS more than FiS?", is largely irrelevant. Because we already have FiS, so it's not an "either/or" choice. We can have both. As for compromising, they are already doing that at the expensive of taking Eve in the direction of new things. Rehashing old content is fine whilst it needs it, but they can't keep doing it without everyone getting bored.


And this angle completely ignores the resources issue. Of course both can exist side-by-side. However, they cannot develop both of them with their current resources without sacrificing quality, which given the Incarna debacle is not something they can afford to do at all.

Referring to CCP finally attempting to fix long neglected areas of the game as "rehashing" is rich, too.

Arduemont wrote:
Besides, if we ran a poll asking whether players wanted to put a small team to slowly work towards WiS content, or not. Your answer would probably be yes, they probably do. Three devs working on it wont detract hugely from FiS anyway. Im not holding this debate in a vacuum. I am considering whether people want it or not, and I strongly believe they do. Check through all the WiS related threads and count the fors and againsts.


Oh great! Arduemont says it won't detract to take people away from FiS and have them work on WiS! CCP thinks it does, but screw them, what do they know? ~Arduemont~ has spoken!

Seriously, you're still phrasing the question wrong. Given the current situation of CCP resources, in which CCP Unifex clearly laid out that WiS cannot be developed concurrently without sacrificing FiS to some degree (enough of one to make them decide to shelve WiS for the time being), the question HAS to be "would you support development of WiS at the expense of FiS?". Anything less than that is just dishonest polling.

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#353 - 2012-11-28 21:23:47 UTC
oldbutfeelingyoung wrote:
wow these barbie lovers keep showing up,man you have to stop playing with Dolls and admit that here


Used to be fun mocking the guys with female characters who accused others of playing barbie, but i think they switch to their male alts now. Sad

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#354 - 2012-11-28 21:30:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
Snow Axe wrote:
......
Seriously, you're still phrasing the question wrong. Given the current situation of CCP resources, in which CCP Unifex clearly laid out that WiS cannot be developed concurrently without sacrificing FiS to some degree (enough of one to make them decide to shelve WiS for the time being), the question HAS to be "would you support development of WiS at the expense of FiS?". Anything less than that is just dishonest polling.

Honest polling would be "Part of every subscription is used to develop new features. What fraction of your portion do you want devoted to developing Avatar based features?". If you answer 0%, then none of your money goes to it. If you answer is more than zero, then that fraction goes to avatar related features. Let the people who want it pay for it, and everyone who does not want it will know none of their money went to develop it.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Toku Jiang
Jiang Laboratories and Discovery
#355 - 2012-11-28 21:31:23 UTC
I think I have actually done the WiS thing once just to see what it was, I then quickly changed the option to not load the WiS. If they pull it out of the client, I'm perfectly fine with that, I have no desire to run around EVE stations and bump in to people or watch as silly clowns do dances and emotes. If I wanted that I could just resurrect my WoW account.
Arduemont
The State of War.
#356 - 2012-11-28 21:34:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
Snow Axe wrote:

Oh great! Arduemont says it won't detract to take people away from FiS and have them work on WiS! CCP thinks it does, but screw them, what do they know? ~Arduemont~ has spoken!

Seriously, you're still phrasing the question wrong. Given the current situation of CCP resources, in which CCP Unifex clearly laid out that WiS cannot be developed concurrently without sacrificing FiS to some degree (enough of one to make them decide to shelve WiS for the time being), the question HAS to be "would you support development of WiS at the expense of FiS?". Anything less than that is just dishonest polling.


Now your just trolling. I'm not declaring myself any more competent than you claim to be in this discussion. Your just running out of good arguments and have to resort to trying to belittle me. Nice work.

As for CCP declaring they don't have the resources; they managed to build a decent prototype in less than six months between Inferno and Crucible. So CCP said, we don't have the resources to do the things we've already proved we do have the resources to do. And that team only had 2 people on it. Did that detract from the purely FiS expansions that you probably thought were only good because CCP didn't bother with WiS stuff?

Sure, it will have to detract from FiS development to "some degree", but that's like saying rain being in the clouds detracts from the total amount of water in the ocean to "some degree". Yea, it does... So what? Could you tell me how much it detracts? No? Well then, what was the point in saying it? Answer: None.

As for the phrasing of the question, you can phrase it how you like. People will still support it. Don't believe me? Open a thread and find out.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#357 - 2012-11-28 21:36:25 UTC
Toku Jiang wrote:
I think I have actually done the WiS thing once just to see what it was, I then quickly changed the option to not load the WiS. If they pull it out of the client, I'm perfectly fine with that


I think pretty much everyone has the CQ disabled at this point. It's not a valid representation of the kind of WiS this thread is about. Even those who support WiS would agree the CQ is pointless.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

KrakizBad
Section 8.
#358 - 2012-11-28 21:38:54 UTC
Arduemont wrote:
As for CCP declaring they don't have the resources; they managed to build a decent prototype in less than six months between Inferno and Crucible. So CCP said, we don't have the resources to do the things we've already proved we do have the resources to do. And that team only had 2 people on it. Did that detract from the purely FiS expansions that you probably thought were only good because CCP didn't bother with WiS stuff?

I'll bet you 20% of CCP staff that it did.
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#359 - 2012-11-28 21:39:58 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Seriously, you're still phrasing the question wrong. Given the current situation of CCP resources, in which CCP Unifex clearly laid out that WiS cannot be developed concurrently without sacrificing FiS to some degree (enough of one to make them decide to shelve WiS for the time being), the question HAS to be "would you support development of WiS at the expense of FiS?". Anything less than that is just dishonest polling.


No, it doesn't, because the presupposition built into your question is that FiS requires the full attention of 200 people. If you ask, "is the shipping game in a good enough state to turn a significant amount of developer attention to a major new feature?" you're closer to the mark.

I gather that the answer to that question last summer was "no," for a great many reasons. (I wasn't there personally, hence the qualification.) CCP Unifex has said that the answer right now is also "no," and I agree. CCP is absolutely right to take some serious time to fix parts of the game that have languished, in some cases, for nearly a decade. It's hard to build on the game-as-is when the game-as-is has lots of old, brittle and badly-functioning code. So I support the current direction because I want to see the promise of Incarna fulfilled, and I believe it will be much easier for CCP to fulfill it when the ships are rebalanced, and the stations we're supposed to be walking in have shiny new code. It will help if the corp, industry and PI interfaces don't provoke SAN loss, and they finally deliver on the promise of Dominion.

Once CCP has caught up on their backlog, we can talk major new features like Incarna. But I've noticed that they've been steadily tweaking the avatar and CQ rendering and the character creator. They've definitely been working on that part of the game. They just haven't made any major (publicly disclosed) push in that direction.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Arduemont
The State of War.
#360 - 2012-11-28 21:39:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
KrakizBad wrote:
Arduemont wrote:
As for CCP declaring they don't have the resources; they managed to build a decent prototype in less than six months between Inferno and Crucible. So CCP said, we don't have the resources to do the things we've already proved we do have the resources to do. And that team only had 2 people on it. Did that detract from the purely FiS expansions that you probably thought were only good because CCP didn't bother with WiS stuff?

I'll bet you 20% of CCP staff that it did.


Lost track of the time? That was almost a year after they lost their staff.
As such you owe CCP 20% of the total of their joint salaries to hire them more staff.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf