These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Inventory Improvements

First post
Author
Haifisch Zahne
Hraka Manufacture GmbH
#121 - 2012-11-21 06:47:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Haifisch Zahne
Some may remember that CCP did actually involve in the Eve Community to test the new Inventory *BEFORE* they released it. There was ample time to look at it. Indeed, many wrote reams and reams about just how horrid it was.

And, to what purpose? Several months later we thank them because they pulled the wool over our eyes and say that *now* they have begun a brand new policy of highly rigorous user testing.

"How quickly we forget."
Jed Clampett
Doomheim
#122 - 2012-11-21 07:05:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Jed Clampett
All neat stuff.

But what is the progress on EXISTING features that fairly frequently simply stop working?

I am assuming these bugs are well reported. Just wondering how fixing intermittent non-cascading feature crashes that can be fixed by reboot fair in the task rankings against turning out more wonderful new features and generic performance.

Its lovely to have a search function for the current container..except when you type string to match in the box and then nothing ever happens and yet all other aspects of the inventory continue to work. Even better when that same search in same container worked 3 minutes ago. True some of my inventories have scores of containers and hundreds of items in some containers but I am not getting too many items error messages just stopped code.

Of course inventory is not the only area of EVE UI code that stalls out on occasion: meters in the HUD, ability to select lines in overview, etc. But these errors in normally great features are often the most frustrating. Heh any chance there is some little common subroutine with a criticality detector statement ?
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#123 - 2012-11-21 07:48:50 UTC
Scrapyard Bob wrote:
Chribba wrote:
Mmm updates to that window is always good...

And reading about the amazing client performance you get in Retribution, any chance at all that you could apply that change to the mail client as well - so that one actually can read (and find) mails older than a month?

Keep up the good work!

/c

One issue there is that they've lowered the total number of messages that you can have to 1500 (down from 3000, at least we think that's the old limit).

So, if you have a lot of messages in your Trash folder. Empty it and then use the Reset Settings (in the Escape menu) and clear your mail cache (and possibly relog). Then your older messages will show back up again.

The limit really sucks for those of us who subscribe to large volume mailing lists. Or who are in a busy alliance and need to keep 1500+ messages at our fingertips.

Yeah I am aware of those limits, and for someone like me (and others) that receive 20 mails per day you can't go very far back sadly.

Funny thing is if one sort by like name or something suddenly mails from 2008 pops up so they're all there, just a matter of displaying them. I for one would like to go back years at times.

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Java Joe Nicotine
Yuck PHoo II
#124 - 2012-11-21 09:34:47 UTC
How about a column to show the meta levels of the items, so we dont have to right click on every single item we have in inventory to determing we want to sell / keep, reprocess, use for research. If we could sort by that column, that would be awesome too.
Thanks
Mhax Arthie
Doomheim
#125 - 2012-11-21 09:58:39 UTC
Arec Bardwin wrote:
How about optional dual panes (and dual directory trees).

The addition of tabs would be VERY welcome; the directory tree can be very cluttered for advanced users, and very inefficient to work with.
Configurable tabs would solve this, perhaps different set of tabs (color coded/different UI locations or whatever);

Active ship locations (drone bay, cargo hold, corp hangar, ore bay etc)
Corporation hangars
Personal Locations, containers
POS objects

Trying to emulate the old win95 file manager in 2012 is so 1995, what CCP needs to do is to develop a modern user friendly file manager (because it's a crucial part of their main GAME and income).

This. Personally I never ever use windows explorer wich is bad for sanity, instead I'm using the total commander or anything similar in concept. So being able to add favorite tabs to the inventory would be awesome. Like..I set up a filter to show only bpo's then save it to a tab so I can access this view anytime with one click.

Any news on remote stacking in the assets window? Selling/buying remotely can be a pain for many of us.
Sephira Galamore
Inner Beard Society
Kvitravn.
#126 - 2012-11-21 10:17:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Sephira Galamore
CCP Arrow wrote:
Issues we have found and fixed to date:

• High chance of a severe performance hit when assembling a number of ships or containers in quick succession.

I hope that includes moving containers (that are already assembled) between locations (which affects the tree).

Because moving several containers from your hangar to the cargo hold takes ages aswell.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#127 - 2012-11-21 10:44:36 UTC
Java Joe Nicotine wrote:
How about a column to show the meta levels of the items, so we dont have to right click on every single item we have in inventory to determing we want to sell / keep, reprocess, use for research. If we could sort by that column, that would be awesome too.
Thanks

Have you tried right clicking on one of the existing column headings? I /think/ meta level is there. (Tech level certainly is)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

David Magnus
#128 - 2012-11-21 11:22:53 UTC
Excellent changes, additions, and improvements.
Thank you so much for improving on this feature - it's fundamental to the game and every little bit of work you put into makes a huge difference for everyone who plays EVE.

Awesome work :)

http://soundcloud.com/davidkmagnus/fight-us-maybe

http://soundcloud.com/davidkmagnus/winterupdate

http://soundcloud.com/davidkmagnus/supercaps

http://soundcloud.com/davidkmagnus/pandemiclegion

Lamthara Lachesis
Emporio Amarr
#129 - 2012-11-21 11:30:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Lamthara Lachesis
Irregessa wrote:
CCP Arrow wrote:
Marcel Devereux wrote:
NOTE: THIS IS NOT A TROLL

I can't tell the difference between the limited and restricted icons. My digital color meter is telling me the limited is 115,101,34 and the restricted is 136,47,34 but I can't tell them apart as it falls too much into the golden/greenish area. Can you make it more yellow (like the wreck icons)?

Which type of color blindness is it? We tested this out using both Protanopia and Deuteranopia and it had a visible difference between the two types. Let me know what type of color blindness it is and I'll look into it for you.

Hope that helps.

I just took an online test, which said that I was mostly Deuteranopic but also had significant Protanopia, with very little if any Tritanopia. That is part of the problem with testing with one type of colorblindness at a time - it is a result of multiple copies of several genes, and the human population represents a whole spectrum of colorblindness. How to program for that?

USE SHAPES IN ADDITION TO COLORS

It is bad enough that in the overview/local window the same symbol is used to represent someone who is in my corp, someone who is in my alliance and someone who has declared war on me and can freely kill me in high sec. Yes, I know I can change the colors of the icons, but why are these all using the same icon?

I agree. It would be quite easy to take the yellow icon, keep the yellow colour and use another shape (like a triangle or a X or whatever is meaningful). Visually impaired people will focus on shapes, the others on colours.

Actually... since we're here the same thing should be done with the pos fuel pallets :\ even if the problems is the opposite. They have slighty different shapes (i ALWAYS need to read what they have because it's impossible for me distinguish them on sight) but the same colour.
Xikuan
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#130 - 2012-11-21 12:01:32 UTC
CCP RubberBAND wrote:
Xikuan wrote:
Nice work, the changes look nice.

While you are looking into corp hanger permissions, would it be possible to address the issue of not being able to directly drag items from a corporate hanger to the trade window? At the moment (even if you have the correct permissions) you must first move it to your personal hanger before trading it.

I understand this would probably be a small use case, but for test_free (the program that we have to give out free ships to newbies from the corp hanger) this is used very heavily and would make our lives easier.

Will do. This is a defect, will investigate if there is a technical reason we cannot allow users to drag directly from a division to the trade window. A few people have mentioned it in this thread so I would assume that this is a problem for more than some.

This would be awesome if it is possible. Thanks a lot for looking into it.
Maratega
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#131 - 2012-11-21 12:38:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Maratega
Please add the 'Compact Mode' button to local chat channel!

In compact mode you would see only the compact member list.

Because almost always the situation is that: i dont care the local chat, and i dont wanna write.
I just care the local member list, and the window is unnecesseraly too big.

It would be one of the best features since compact member list :D
Rammix
TheMurk
#132 - 2012-11-21 12:49:12 UTC
Where is exporting/importing of custom inventory filters?

Now, when I make a set of custom filters on my main account and main character, then I have to do the same actions for all (or almost all) alts anew, and any changes or improvements to this filters have to be done separately for every character. That really sucks.

Really want to freely export and import these custom filters, like overview settings.

OpenSUSE Leap 42.1, wine >1.9

Covert cyno in highsec: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=296129&find=unread

Besbin
Blue Republic
RvB - BLUE Republic
#133 - 2012-11-21 13:39:03 UTC
FABULOUS work!!!

CCP Arrow wrote:
Vegare wrote:
Now if only the ship bay would switch on its own when switching ships... P

Ah, it wasn't mentioned in the blog but if you have your Active ship's inventory selected and switch to another ship, the Inventory will stay on the active ship, instead of the ship that was active before you changed ships, because that is what players expect.

My inventory wishlist:

- Keep inventory on active ship...wait you fixed this already! Sweet :-)
- Stop my items from randomly getting locked when I place them in (non-locked) containers
- Allow me to repackage items inside containers
Meytal
Doomheim
#134 - 2012-11-21 13:50:36 UTC
These changes look great, thank you!

Since you're already working with the particular areas of code, could you give corporate hangars, CHAs, and SMAs an audit log? Hopefully it's not too large of a change, and it would be a great quality of life improvement for those of us who live out of POSes. I'm not asking for proper access controls before the POS revamp, just a way to track what has been taken in the interim.
Commander A9
Aurora University
#135 - 2012-11-21 14:10:18 UTC
YES! Thank you!

Although, one suggestion: when stacking windows, there appears to be no "close window" option for right-clicking; only a "close stack." If I want to close only one window, like the ship hangar, but I want to keep the items hangar open, I can't seem to do that currently unless I close the entire stack.

Otherwise, thanks so much for providing the option for players to construct the old UI!

Recommendations:

-enable ships wobbling in hangar view (pre-Captains Quarters)

-add more missions (NPC fleet vs. NPC fleets that actually shoot)

-STOP NERFING EVERYTHING!

Join Live Events!

DJ P0N-3
Table Flippendeavors
#136 - 2012-11-21 14:30:38 UTC
Hallelujah.

For the record, I would have been happy to wait for the inventory to reach this state rather than dealing with the past six months.

I am on board with the request to make the access notification symbols different shapes in addition to different colors.
Cameron Zero
Sebiestor Tribe
#137 - 2012-11-21 17:34:23 UTC
CCP RubberBAND wrote:
Cameron Zero wrote:
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

@CCP - I have a (terrible) recording of some UI latency while fitting ships. Figured I'd pass it on, but who would want to see it?

Was looking at performance issues together with a few other team members. Feel free to post it in this thread or the Inventory Performance thread. Though it may have been caught as part of the general improvements.

Also you are welcome!

Video: http://youtu.be/rUVew4qqROA

I posted in that performance thread, as well, since I saw someone else with the same problem I have.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. …"

Adrian Dixon
Arbitrary Spaceship Destruction
-affliction-
#138 - 2012-11-21 19:33:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Adrian Dixon
Some great improvements here thank you.

One extra I think should be considered is the active ship entry in the tree. I believe the active ship entry should always be vissible to the player in the tree by having it fixed at the top of the tree pain. In microsoft excel you can set a row of cells into a fixed position to always show on screen while the rest of the rows still scroll up and down, thats exactly how id imagine the active ship to work in the tree.

This gives the user a rock solid route back to thier own ships cargo hold, instead of having to scroll observe and click, its just a click.
Dasola
New Edens Freeports
#139 - 2012-11-21 20:01:02 UTC
Ok looks nice and performance increase is always welcome. No ho ever messed it up in first place should be thrown in Amarr slave camps and torchured there for rest of hes life.

You fellows have too much time so could you also take look at Science&Industry interface? I needs some serious developer love. 11 clicks to launch remote invention job? Not very reasonable considering CCP dosent provide replacement switches for computer mouses Blink When Pi was clickfest like that, it was fixed and fast.

So could you please please tackle Science&Industry next? Pretty Please

Or maybe you could nerf PVP, make it take 10 clicks just to shoot someone, thats should be easy to implement.. Twisted Would be reasonable solution considering serious industrials have to suffer that for years now.

We are Minmatar, Our ship are made of scraps, but look what our scraps can do...

Zagdul
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#140 - 2012-11-21 20:09:26 UTC
Thanks CCP Arrow :)

Good changes and I see a few I asked for are in there. Much love dude.

I think the same team works on the chat windows. Can you see about making those settings persistent? Like, if I set 'only show text' and 'show compact member list' that it persists for new chat windows opened?

I'll post this up to the request areas as well when I have a moment.

Dual Pane idea: Click!

CCP Please Implement