These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Eve new player friendly? Questions. Ideas. Suggestions.

Author
J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#21 - 2012-11-09 14:18:20 UTC
Minmatar Citizen160812 wrote:
Separate corps and friends. Corps want (whatever) but friends could use lots of things. Hang around places where things are happening that you want to do and talk to people. Learn game mechanics and meet people in the first month or so then start looking for groups to join up with.

I know this can be difficult in high sec because of the nature of most kitchen sink and part time pvp corps there so you may want to head out into more dangerous places where people are actually needed for more than taxes or drunken fail fleet roams.

Heh, nothing wrong with the occasional Drunken Kitchensink Roams...They are fun

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Keno Skir
#22 - 2012-11-09 16:12:48 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Keno Skir wrote:
Zanzbar wrote:
They are currently reworking almost every ship in game as well as modifying the way you skill up for many ships. This is going to make it a lot easier on new players as they won't have to train skills they don't care about to fly the ship they want, as well as making it far more simple to change training direction.

The problem with training boosts and such is it pisses off the players who trained it all at normal speed, and if its a 60 day 3x boost what do you tell the guy that's 61 days old and will soon have less sp then the 30 day character

I'm so p*ssed i just trained 2 months for command ships and now they gonna make all the command ships the same and really easy to skill for. I also kinda think the way they're gonna streamline ship training so u dont need cruiser 5 for command ships or other t2 hulls is pandering exactly to the people who just want to fly everything right now.

Don't like where this is goin :/

CS's desperately need work, what with the combat ones being absolutely cost ineffective compared to Tier-2 BCs, and the boosting ones being incredibly boring to fly. The proposed change attempts to bring them all into relevance. Since there aren't more details about it yet, I would refrain from judgment on them. I should point out, though, that there is great variety in the operation of CS's in the change; the only iffy part is the Damnation, Nighthawk, and Claymore all being vague 'missile' boats, but even they have very different hulls.

This topic is also quite irrelevant to this thread.

You didn't see the relevance Petrus, it is there.
Fractal Muse
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2012-11-09 17:04:45 UTC
Since the start of EVE Online there have been some great steps towards improving the new player experience but more needs to happen.

What does EVE Online need to retain new players?

Clear progression.

Once someone finishes the training missions there is a definite sense of being overwhelmed and having the confusion of what's next?

I think a continuation of the tutorial guide where a player picks a 'career path' and is then led towards activities of that nature would help solve this. The system should slowly ween players off of the reliance on the game prompting them to do things and constantly encourage players to do try out their own thing.

EVE is all about self determination but most new players don't know how that works. Until they settle in they need prompting. Most people are -not- self starters and are conditioned to be followers. It takes time and familiarity to learn to do things on their own.

Next, things like EFT and EVEMon are almost mandatory for making one's EVE experience a great one. As such, these tools should become integrated into the game itself. New players need a UI friendly way to plot out a course of action. They need the tools to create their own plan that they can follow. We already do it by using third party tools so let's bring it into the game where new players will be aware of it and be given a sense of destiny.

Once a player becomes invested in their character (ship) they are more likely to continue to play since they have an action plan.

New starting areas - I think that brand new players (as opposed to alts or new accounts by existing players) should start in a totally new region of space. This starting zone would be limited to helpers (who cannot shoot new players) and new players who could shoot one another. This is to keep the new EVE experience one that is considered to be 'fair' as opposed to getting blasted by some bored veterans.

While EVE is about freedom of choice and one should expect to lose ships down the road to things like suicide gankers having this happen within the first week or two of play isn't cool for a new player since usually they have no idea why it happened or any way to retaliate. That creates frustration so players stop playing.

Another idea is to improve the looking for corp mechanism (make it more overt and more newbie friendly in that a newbie could select their desired career path and be presented with a list of corps that match up to their objectives) and also introduce a mentor system. If I set myself as mentor available I should be matched with a new player who I will assist.

The mentor system should have the player enter the hours in which they would be available. New players would select the time at which they want a mentor or they would be assigned a mentor automatically upon entering the game. This way people would have immediately one on one contact with other players. This creates bonds with the game environment and playerbase. Scamming in the mentor system should be strictly prohibited.

Basically, to retain players EVE Online needs to foster a sense of belonging and a sense of progression that they can relate to. We lose a lot of players because they get lost and just don't know what to do next. The community can argue that EVE doesn't want those players but I'd argue that anyone can come to love and understand EVE if they are given the guidance to understand what it is.

We need to reduce the barriers of entry to the game. Right now, the barrier to entry is extremely high. Anything that is done to improve the new player experience is a good thing.

There is a very strong barrier to entry into the EVE online community and there can be an incredible lack of tolerance for new players. We cannot mandate this out of existence but CCP can provide new players with a warm reception and introductions to players who will help them. Providing new players with links into the community via mentors and helpers will assist them to be able to stand on their own feet in the community.
Denegrah Togasa
Perkone
Caldari State
#24 - 2012-11-09 17:08:40 UTC
I would have to say EVE is not new player friendly (Its a cold hard universe out there.) But some of its people and corps are.

Minmatar Citizen160812
The LGBT Last Supper
#25 - 2012-11-09 17:17:51 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Minmatar Citizen160812 wrote:
Separate corps and friends. Corps want (whatever) but friends could use lots of things. Hang around places where things are happening that you want to do and talk to people. Learn game mechanics and meet people in the first month or so then start looking for groups to join up with.

I know this can be difficult in high sec because of the nature of most kitchen sink and part time pvp corps there so you may want to head out into more dangerous places where people are actually needed for more than taxes or drunken fail fleet roams.

Heh, nothing wrong with the occasional Drunken Kitchensink Roams...They are fun

Occasional sure, I'm more warning them of the zombie high sec corps where the CEO logs in on a bender Saturday night and the chat looks like this after 2 weeks of no conversation or teamwork of any kind:

CEO: hey guise real wasted want do some pvp with me
CEO: C"MON pew pew
Drake Derps'a'lot: ok i have an armor fit drake for scanning is that ok?
Noober Nitwitian: yeah I would like to try pvp let me get my tristan from 9 jumps away...when do we start?
CEO: LOL lost my ship
CEO: yes drakes are good
CEO: everyone come to X system

....1 hour later

CEO: ok everyone go into (very bad place) and attack the guys on the gate that killed me...ok GO!
Drake Derps'a'lot: down
Noober Nitwitian: what just happened
Emo McRage: #$%@!^% &^%#%@[email protected] I lost my pod and implants...WTF!!!!!! lost skillpoints too
CEO: LMFAO well that was fun room spining now have to go
Latety Laterton: What I miss?

J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#26 - 2012-11-09 17:58:40 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Fractal Muse wrote:
Your wall of text.

Which I will respond to with my wall of text in relation to your post.

Having EVE to create pop ups on what you should do or not will just turn EVE into another WoW clone. The great thing about EVE is that after the tutorials (which in terms aren't mandatory, yet so important) you are free to do what YOU want to do. That is what makes EVE a different MMO from WoW and all its clones.

True, many players will lack the open minded set so see that THEY make what ever they want from EVE and it will turn down a good couple of players. The benefit is that those that stay will suit the already existing EVE player base more then just a couple of hand held teenage players (sorry for the generalization).

I like the idea of EVEMON/EVEHQ/EFT/etc. being incorporated within the game, though it will be hard. But I agree that at least they should be pointed out towards out of game sources like 3rd party programs, the EVE wiki etc.

About your idea of a starting area:

It won't work. And because of this:

- You give new players a false view about EVE, sure that starting area is free of risk. But as soon as they leave it, they will get ganked anyway and cause they never learned about it, it won't change their opinion.
- You can't tell the difference between a new starting character or just another account made by an already existing EVE player. Which goes straight into my third point.
- Malcanis Law: Any proposal justified on the basis that "it will benefit new players" is invariably to the greater advantage of older, richer players.

Giving new players a risk free environment will give older players the ability to create new accounts and use them to farm ISK etc risk free in the new player systems.

About the corporation part:

Please, for the love of god, get into EVE...Open the corporation window and get into the search of a corporation tab.

It clearly let you list what activities you are looking for, when a corp is active, where they are based, if they are roleplaying or now, etc etc.

When you hit the search button...voilá, there is a list of corporations that matches your search criteria. So you are asking for something that was added to the game about a year ago.

As for mentoring positions, that will get abused pretty quickly. You aren't the first to bring it up. And there are plenty of corporations that are totally dedicated to teach new players (aka EVE Uni etc.).

But in general, your view is good, the ideas a bit less. EVE should provide new players with a bit more information about what EVE has to offer, even if it is just by providing links to guides and maybe show them what a corporation is and why they might consider joining one (but leave the final decision at the player, not everybody wants to be in a corporation).

Personally, I rather have 5 good players who don't want to be held by their hand 23/7 and spoon fed every single bit of information about the game over 20.000 players who you have to tell every single thing they can/should/must do. For the 2nd group there are plenty of other games to play, the first group is what EVE is build for and it build upon.

EDIT:

There is already kind of mentoring program, be it very unofficial. It's called the New Citizen Q&A forums. Scroll through the threads and you will see that 9/10 times it's the same group of people (Keno, Petrus, Homo Jesus, Surfin, Oraac, Tau and some more) that reply to the threads and help new players. They are giving the mentoring option in an indirect way. And it also has the benefit of hearing multiple people giving their opinion on something, which will give you a more accurate way about a question / problem as with 1 answer you will have to trust that the guy is giving you the correct information.

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Flurk Hellbron
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#27 - 2012-11-10 04:42:52 UTC
Another way arround low SP is: buy a character!
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2012-11-10 04:50:16 UTC
Flurk Hellbron wrote:

Or do what I did.... spend 6 years and become awesome in every way Cool

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#29 - 2012-11-10 09:21:44 UTC
Flurk Hellbron wrote:

Dress a chimp, it still stays a chimp.

Buying a character might give you more SP. But you will lack the knowledge about the game and will just loose more expansive stufff.

Minmatar Citizen160812
The LGBT Last Supper
#30 - 2012-11-10 14:35:42 UTC
Flurk Hellbron wrote:

Novel idea may I offer another way. Buy a character and $400 worth of plex to afford the neatest looking paintjobs. Fit that bad boy with all the blue, purple and green gear you can find.

(shhhh...someone has to pay the bills to feed the hamsters. Better them than me!)
Previous page12