These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Debating on downsizing from a destroyer to a frigate

Author
Fractal Muse
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2012-11-09 16:41:48 UTC
Antonio Steele, welcome to EVE!

I love your attitude and I know you'll do great things in the game.

If you ever start feeling like things are too easy take some chances! You can give a level 2 mission a whirl already if you feel up to it but don't feel pressured into it. Level 2 missions aren't that huge of a jump in difficulty from level 1 missions. And, you can always run away from the mission if it causes you difficulties.

Another thing to look into is exploration if that interests you are all. If not, don't bother :)

I think you've hit upon the beauty that is EVE Online - the open endedness for the player to decide how they want to play.

As an aside, I would suggest taking screenshots from time to time (I think F12 hides the interface) 'cause it's fun to look back and see where you came from.
Antonio Steele
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2012-11-09 16:59:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Antonio Steele
Yeah, I tried the exploration tutorials and found scanning down signatures rather annoying. It takes forever and is difficult to place everything just right. I would rather be doing security missions.

Maybe I will try doing level 2 missions with my vexor. I recently have found that my speedy little frigate is still rather vulnerable if I get in the middle of a swarm. Especially the sansha goons you meet in one mission, although I had a choice to avoid them, I just chose to try to fight lol. I won, but had to retreat once and took a real beating.

Edit: the mission was worlds collide with the angel cartel vs. sansha's rebellion. I took out all the enemies in the first room, and in all following rooms, but had to retreat halfway through the first room when I realized that I should have at least one repair module fitted for longer rat fights.
Antonio Steele
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2012-11-11 01:17:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Antonio Steele
Did some level 2 missions for sisters of eve with my vexor. They take a really long time, and the drones are annoying. The worst part is all the frigates flying around that I can't hit, and that my drone pack that can hit them takes too long.

I tried running a mission in my frigate I mentioned before, and I got hammered right at the start and had to run. I am debating on looking into a thorax. Everyone seems to thing that the vexor is the best gallante missioning cruiser, but I don't see it, and I am starting to see that I don't like drones.

And fyi, I chose Gallante race based on values their empire has so don't knock me for going gallante and hating drones.
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2012-11-11 03:11:45 UTC
There's no such thing as downsizing. Every ship has its role. Just because you can fly a cruiser, does not mean you stop flying destroyers and frigates.
Esruc 'Sadim
Lazaretto
#25 - 2012-11-11 03:28:43 UTC
I pulled out a breacher for the first time today. Man that little thing was fun! Built with paper mache' and recycled aluminum, fast as all get out and rockets! Rockets are new to me too. I would love to see a 1000 breacher roaming through null blowing up random bullsh!t. Nothing to do with op...but no drones & good times...try it out man

Insert something witty and clever here

Antonio Steele
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2012-11-11 03:44:20 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
There's no such thing as downsizing. Every ship has its role. Just because you can fly a cruiser, does not mean you stop flying destroyers and frigates.

This thread has changed from the original post if you read the thread you will see. This has become more like a log of my nooby adventure of choosing ships lol!
Sog Ardun
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2012-11-12 03:55:20 UTC
Antonio Steele wrote:
Archdaimon wrote:
Why are you not running lvl 2 or 3's by now?

Because I have only been playing for a couple weeks lol. It takes longer than that to skill up, and get the isk for that stuff. I have only gotten as far as cruisers in ship progression. It will take some time even though keep my skill queue constantly busy.

I also have only been playing for a couple weeks. Still, I have more than 100 million ISK in bank (and more on sale or militia LP). I started running lvl 2s after one week on my catalyst and stopped missioning just afterwards going for FW or on PVP fleets with an Atron ever since (and no I haven't skilled for cruisers).

I'm not saying that for bragging rights but just to show you that you are wrong in your statement.
Doing just lvl 1 missions is limiting yourself. Anybody can do lvl 2 missions (well you need to have enough loyalty to have access to them first). And you definetly can do some PvP in FW and get money from Plexing. Sure I died a lot more (and I learned a lot from those deaths) but it sure as hell is more fun than missions IMO (even if you prefer missioning you should still do lvl 2s with a frig or a destroyer).

The main difference between you and me was that I already knew a bit from the game when I started and where I wanted to go and was ready to take some calculated risks.

Using a catalyst, an incursus or an atron all work for PvP/Plexing. It is your choice to make. Even someone with less than 500k SP can kill most pilots camping a gate with a blaster catalyst as an example ... or just farm a complex.

Surely, you have less choices as a new player but at the end of the day, you can learn any playstyle as early as you want because getting experience as a player is far more important than the SP your char get in PvP.
Antonio Steele
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2012-11-12 21:24:32 UTC
Sog Ardun wrote:
Antonio Steele wrote:
Archdaimon wrote:
Why are you not running lvl 2 or 3's by now?

Because I have only been playing for a couple weeks lol. It takes longer than that to skill up, and get the isk for that stuff. I have only gotten as far as cruisers in ship progression. It will take some time even though keep my skill queue constantly busy.

I also have only been playing for a couple weeks. Still, I have more than 100 million ISK in bank (and more on sale or militia LP). I started running lvl 2s after one week on my catalyst and stopped missioning just afterwards going for FW or on PVP fleets with an Atron ever since (and no I haven't skilled for cruisers).

I'm not saying that for bragging rights but just to show you that you are wrong in your statement.
Doing just lvl 1 missions is limiting yourself. Anybody can do lvl 2 missions (well you need to have enough loyalty to have access to them first). And you definetly can do some PvP in FW and get money from Plexing. Sure I died a lot more (and I learned a lot from those deaths) but it sure as hell is more fun than missions IMO (even if you prefer missioning you should still do lvl 2s with a frig or a destroyer).

The main difference between you and me was that I already knew a bit from the game when I started and where I wanted to go and was ready to take some calculated risks.

Using a catalyst, an incursus or an atron all work for PvP/Plexing. It is your choice to make. Even someone with less than 500k SP can kill most pilots camping a gate with a blaster catalyst as an example ... or just farm a complex.

Surely, you have less choices as a new player but at the end of the day, you can learn any playstyle as early as you want because getting experience as a player is far more important than the SP your char get in PvP.

I thought you meant Tier 2 ships lol! I have done some Level 2 missions, but one particular one always kicks my butt. It's called "Mission of Mercy"

I am now doing the Sisters of eve epic arc in an incursus fitted for armor and speed tank with 3 neutron blasters. Working well so far.
Previous page12