These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ideals and Their Limits

Author
Scherezad
Revenent Defence Corperation
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#41 - 2012-10-30 17:44:27 UTC
Mekhana-haani;

Thank you very much for proposing this topic; it has been enlightening to see this facet of the Gallente spirit. I would like to address your original posting, if I may. I have some questions which you can hopefully clarify.

Mekhana wrote:
Freedom

These letters carry power. More than one war was caused by this word. The weak steel themselves ...

Are you claiming that the purpose and end-goal of Freedom is the acquisition of power over others?

Mekhana wrote:
Liberty

While freedom is personal and individualistic, the concept of liberty is like gunpowder. Nothing sparks a nation like ...

I'm afraid that I don't understand much of what you've said above. I presume that you mean Liberty as the freedom of a society to do as it wishes (That's not how I understand the word, but it seems to be how you are using it - please correct me if I'm wrong).

This said, I've missed the point of what you're saying, other than "liberty is useful as a motivating factor in a society." If so, your metaphor is very apt! Mildly explosive, reactive with the proper application of heat, and easily directed.

Mekhana wrote:
Terrorism

This is another popular word in the Gallente vocabulary. Truth be told we use this word against any enemy ...

I am afraid that I find myself even more mystified, ma'am. Are you trying to indicate that the misuse of the label "terrorist" is useful and valid, or are you decrying the abuse?

Mekhana wrote:
Humanity

Part of our ego trip we like to see ourselves as the bearers of the torch of the human race. Ironically this ...

Again - are you saying that this strategic ploy of dehumanizing all foreigners is an appropriate move for the Federation, or are you decrying it?

Mekhana wrote:
So I think that's enough for today's lecture. Hopefully I opened a few eyes around here.

Very interesting discussion! Could you go into more detail on how these strategies evolved? Have they always been cynical affirmations?
Mekhana
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2012-10-30 20:17:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Mekhana
You guessed right, Miss Scherezad. The Gallente Federation is an Empire is at it's core. An Empire needs power to survive and must constantly secure more power by any means necessary so it can keep itself at an advantageous position before it's rivals.

So yes, freedom is about power. We are free because we can subjugate others and masterfully manipulate them into doing our will. We are consumers and live in excess, consuming most of the resources of New Eden. We are free in a certain way at the cost of the misfortune of others. In order to live in luxury and comfort is because we have manipulated, backstabbed, killed and assimilated a lot of individuals to get at this point.

Liberty means that as an Empire we can not bow down to will of others. And similarly to freedom this means that our needs and whims come always at first place. We use freedom to have control over others individually, while Liberty is about having control over others as an Empire.

Terrorism. You got most of it. Like I said anyone can be a terrorist. It's a great way to make an enemy appear a whole less human. This gives us more leeway on dealing with them. After all we're a nation with rights and it's easier to deal with someone when suddenly all of their rights go poof.

We don't dehumanize foreigners as much as terrorists no. This is actually the hardest subject to explain but in a way we are assimilators. For instance if a foreign corporation wants to have any luck in our market, they'll have a lot of trouble tailoring their products to our needs and standards. From simple things such as packaging, advertising to even more complicated ones such as contents.

Immigrants are treated fairly here because they are adapting to our lifestyle and way of thinking. Just the fact they gave up their old home is proof enough for the average citizen that they deserve to live alongside them.

It comes down to three words. What does not adapt, will be assimilated, what cannot be assimilated will be destroyed.

I'll answer the other two soon.

Vide longe er eros di Luminaire VII, uni canse pra krage e determiniex! Sange por Sange! Descanse bravex eros, mie freires. Mortir por vostre Liberete, farmilie, ide e amis. lons Proviste sen mort! Luminaire liber mas! 

Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
#43 - 2012-10-30 21:00:13 UTC
Mekhana wrote:
You guessed right, Miss Scherezad. The Gallente Federation is an Empire is at it's core. An Empire needs power to survive and must constantly secure more power by any means necessary so it can keep itself at an advantageous position before it's rivals.

So yes, freedom is about power. We are free because we can subjugate others and masterfully manipulate them into doing our will. We are consumers and live in excess, consuming most of the resources of New Eden. We are free in a certain way at the cost of the misfortune of others. In order to live in luxury and comfort is because we have manipulated, backstabbed, killed and assimilated a lot of individuals to get at this point.

Liberty means that as an Empire we can not bow down to will of others. And similarly to freedom this means that our needs and whims come always at first place. We use freedom to have control over others individually, while Liberty is about having control over others as an Empire.

Terrorism. You got most of it. Like I said anyone can be a terrorist. It's a great way to make an enemy appear a whole less human. This gives us more leeway on dealing with them. After all we're a nation with rights and it's easier to deal with someone when suddenly all of their rights go poof.

We don't dehumanize foreigners as much as terrorists no. This is actually the hardest subject to explain but in a way we are assimilators. For instance if a foreign corporation wants to have any luck in our market, they'll have a lot of trouble tailoring their products to our needs and standards. From simple things such as packaging, advertising to even more complicated ones such as contents.

Immigrants are treated fairly here because they are adapting to our lifestyle and way of thinking. Just the fact they gave up their old home is proof enough for the average citizen that they deserve to live alongside them.

It comes down to three words. What does not adapt, will be assimilated, what cannot be assimilated will be destroyed.

I'll answer the other two soon.

The sheer tone of this post leaves me wondering if it was meant in sarcasm, or shocking honesty.

Katrina Oniseki

Gussarde en Welle
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2012-10-30 23:01:59 UTC
Katrina Oniseki wrote:

The sheer tone of this post leaves me wondering if it was meant in sarcasm, or shocking honesty.

I'm going with shocking honesty. Also, could you ask John Revenant to unflag my corp, Oniseki-haani? My comments about I-RED were not made in a spirit of hostility. Many Intaki in the Syndicate enjoy the presence of I-RED. I don't dislike you guys, I just mean that I and certain of others I know would prefer to see a future sovereign Intaki state without the presence of foreigners. Surely as Caldari citizens, you and John can understand my feelings on this.
Gussarde en Welle
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2012-10-30 23:05:26 UTC
Veikitamo Gesakaarin wrote:

An amusing point though, the Federation did sign the FTA with the Empire at Giran-Fa so am I to take it the Federation remains glad to benefit economically from the Empire yet at the same time harangue slavery to keep the Minmatar on side? It would seem quite at odds, trading openly with an Empire that seems so much opposed to supposed Federal ideals.

Care to defend that hypocrisy?

I cannot and will not. It was clearly a move to prevent hostilities between Amarr and the Federation. I won't go into the mewling deference that the Amarr emissary commission is treated with.
Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
#46 - 2012-10-31 00:43:01 UTC
Gussarde en Welle wrote:
Katrina Oniseki wrote:

I'm going with shocking honesty. Also, could you ask John Revenant to unflag my corp, Oniseki-haani? My comments about I-RED were not made in a spirit of hostility. Many Intaki in the Syndicate enjoy the presence of I-RED. I don't dislike you guys, I just mean that I and certain of others I know would prefer to see a future sovereign Intaki state without the presence of foreigners. Surely as Caldari citizens, you and John can understand my feelings on this.

I'll pass on the message, yes.

Katrina Oniseki

Gussarde en Welle
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2012-10-31 01:09:49 UTC
Katrina Oniseki wrote:
Gussarde en Welle wrote:
Katrina Oniseki wrote:

I'll pass on the message, yes.

Thank you kindly. Smile
Mekhana
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-10-31 05:30:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Mekhana
Scherezad wrote:
Very interesting discussion! Could you go into more detail on how these strategies evolved? Have they always been cynical affirmations?

They've always been around as part of our politics. Though we are self centered, the common Gallente man is more aware about New Eden than the common man from elsewhere due that fact we like sticking our nose up in everyone's business and like to form opinions on how issues and decisions should be dealt with differently. That's pretty much how Scope makes a living for themselves. Some people just enjoy their morality pills sugar coated, so naming things appropriately has a positive effect with them.

That depends on the person. There's two sides to the same coin. There are the idealists and there are the realists.

Idealists would scoff at the words I say here and actually believe in these ideals as they are presented and would as far as go fight for them. They are always trying to change the system.

Realists believe that a state is mainly motivated by power, security (either military or economic) instead of ethics or ideals.

I think it's easy to guess to which club I belong to.

Vide longe er eros di Luminaire VII, uni canse pra krage e determiniex! Sange por Sange! Descanse bravex eros, mie freires. Mortir por vostre Liberete, farmilie, ide e amis. lons Proviste sen mort! Luminaire liber mas! 

Shiroh Yatamii
Alexylva Paradox
#49 - 2012-10-31 05:36:11 UTC
Gussarde en Welle wrote:

I had a drone last week that was putting in requests to my private email for weapons upgrades. Folks in the Federation tend to find these things charming and then we wipe the page file and restart the uplink router.

So yeah. I was happier not thinking about this, to be honest.

And you didn't give it weapons upgrades because...? Hammerhead drones upgraded with magnetic field stabilizers for their blasters just sound delightfully effective.

In any case, to address the OP's points: democracy is similar to science in that it must be self-criticizing at every turn. Where the two differ, however, is that democracy can constantly ask itself "Is democracy the correct form of government?" ad nauseam; there is little in the way of quantifiable data that can be gathered to answer such a broad question. Science, on the other hand, asks very specific questions and forms hypotheses that can be confirmed or debunked with data from the physical universe.

Perhaps if you wish to improve your Federation's government, then, the citizenry should collectively ask more specific questions. "Is democracy the best way to govern in XYZ area of concern?" with "XYZ" being any number of topics; economics, military strength, education, religion. There's absolutely nothing saying there can't by a hybrid form of government which has bits of democracy, meritocracy, and even aristocracy incorporated into it. In short, "Whatever works best. Do that."
Mekhana
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2012-10-31 05:45:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Mekhana
I never questioned the merits of democracy. I wouldn't have it any other way unless I was in power of course. Then I'd be for despotism.

You can't mix and match democracy with meritocracy or aristrocacy however. Individuals must remain equal before the law and the state in order for democracy to work. Those are the very basics.

I personally would not change it for anything else as part of our power comes from it.

Shiroh Yatamii
Alexylva Paradox
#51 - 2012-10-31 13:33:02 UTC
Mekhana wrote:
I never questioned the merits of democracy. I wouldn't have it any other way unless I was in power of course. Then I'd be for despotism.

You can't mix and match democracy with meritocracy or aristrocacy however. Individuals must remain equal before the law and the state in order for democracy to work. Those are the very basics.

I personally would not change it for anything else as part of our power comes from it.

I disagree. People in positions of power, who can greatly and negatively impact a society, should be held to a higher standard. In the Federation, a corporate CEO is regarded as having the same rights as any other person. So if such a corporation flops and completely tanks the economy, they are not tried or what-have-you. In the State's meritocratic system, such an incompetent person is typically replaced with someone with a better track record. In the Federation, business is private and for private gain. In the State, it is for the gain of all society.

Freedom and equality is grand and all, but meritocracy effectively implements a sliding scale which helps protect the well-being of the people. I do not see how this is mutually exclusive with the Federation's ideals.
Mekhana
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2012-10-31 13:48:02 UTC
For the gain of all society? You must be joking.

Gussarde en Welle
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2012-10-31 16:02:45 UTC
Shiroh Yatamii wrote:

And you didn't give it weapons upgrades because...? Hammerhead drones upgraded with magnetic field stabilizers for their blasters just sound delightfully effective.

Um, I don't know how they taught you to do things in combat school, but drones' autologic networks are supposed to be slaved to your uplink router's subprocessor. In otherwords, the only sentient thing about a drone should be the pilot whose CNS is jacked into the controlling ship. Drones asking for attention on a personal level is rather disturbing, don't you think?
Gussarde en Welle
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#54 - 2012-10-31 16:05:39 UTC
Shiroh Yatamii wrote:

In the State, it is for the gain of all society.

Yatamii-haan, there's no way you really believe that sort of media apologetics. Any stockholder in a Caldari interstellar corporation can look up the salaries of executive officers.
von Khan
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#55 - 2012-10-31 17:31:33 UTC
Miss Mekhana you are a true "free man"

The true "free man has no fear that anyone imposes negative consequences of his actions upon him, ever. He does as he pleases even if his desires conflict with those of others. The true free man has abandoned all bonds of brotherhood and succumbed to selfish desires. He feels beholden to no one. Responsible for no one. The true free man is a sociopath.

von Khan

Mekhana
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2012-10-31 22:57:18 UTC
I supposed I should feel honored when a racist zealot bigot like you calls me a sociopath.

Veikitamo Gesakaarin
Doomheim
#57 - 2012-10-31 23:14:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Veikitamo Gesakaarin
Gussarde en Welle wrote:
Yatamii-haan, there's no way you really believe that sort of media apologetics. Any stockholder in a Caldari interstellar corporation can look up the salaries of executive officers.

I would say it is a common misconception by foreigners to believe that the Gallentean and Caldari corporate models are the same thing. In the State, a corporation is premised on the concept of being a joint venture to provide mutual advantage - social and economic - for its constituent stakeholders and employees. A megacorporation must be able to provide social responsibility in addition to being profitable, such profits not intended for their own sake but as a means to the ends of providing and ensuring stability and prosperity to employees.

Granted, it appears many in the State forgot the fundamental vision of our forefathers to forge a nation not of liberal and decadent bankers and mercantalists such as in the Federation but one of patriotic workers and fighters ever vigilant to defend our freedom and liberty against any and all who would desire to take them from us.

This is the vision of State Executor Tibus Heth, the Caldari Providence Directorate and the main tenet of the New Meritocracy.

Liberalism and the idea that individual greed comes before the requirements of social responsibility and the greater good have proven detrimental and flawed, and like any cancer that threatens the whole, must be destroyed.

Kurilaivonen|Concern

Mekhana
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2012-11-01 00:36:06 UTC
I'd appreciate if you remain in subject. You can carry your brainwashed drivel privately.

Gussarde en Welle
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2012-11-01 00:36:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Gussarde en Welle

Liberalism and the idea that individual greed comes before the requirements of social responsibility and the greater good have proven detrimental and flawed, and like any cancer that threatens the whole, must be destroyed.

Gesakaarin-haani. You often use this word: liberalism. Then you frequently say that it must be destroyed. Precisely what do you mean by liberalism?

If by saying liberal, you mean "libertine" and thus taken to extremes, moral decay, amoral decadence and anomie, then I direct your sovereign eye to Jita. I have scarcely seen a filthier pit of depravity in all of Creation.

If by saying liberal, you mean "Statist," consumption of all affairs by the State, then I can only say that this is a fluctuating attribute of all democracies.

Perhaps by liberal you mean "democracy?" If so, you have many enemies indeed, and your views then explain the relationship between the Caldari and the Amarr.

I personally do not believe that Caldari dislike democracy. I think that the Caldari ideal is a republican democracy - a democracy of those who represent the best and most dedicated within their society, with appropriate respect to those beneath and above them. My understanding is that the Caldari feel that strict meritocracy, accountability and dedication to societal principles better represents the needs of society than open elections.

Where we differ is this: although those at the top by and large may be of the highest quality, once they are there, there is little or nothing that can be done to stop free association and manipulations of power amongst peers. No real accountability takes place within the boardroom, and once there, only one's peers or superiors can do anything about it. But what if everyone at the top just covers each other's mistakes and immorality? There are executive-only lounges in any Caldari installation. How many executives spend their time worrying that their peers are being ethical?

Historically, as far as I know, this has always been the great flaw in Caldari society. It makes for a vast quantity of good leadership, but those that are not can amass feudal levels of power and so do tremendous damage overnight. The suffering of the masses will consequently be immense, and there is little anyone can do about it.
Shiroh Yatamii
Alexylva Paradox
#60 - 2012-11-01 04:55:07 UTC

I would say it is a common misconception by foreigners to believe that the Gallentean and Caldari corporate models are the same thing. In the State, a corporation is premised on the concept of being a joint venture to provide mutual advantage - social and economic - for its constituent stakeholders and employees. A megacorporation must be able to provide social responsibility in addition to being profitable, such profits not intended for their own sake but as a means to the ends of providing and ensuring stability and prosperity to employees.

Granted, it appears many in the State forgot the fundamental vision of our forefathers to forge a nation not of liberal and decadent bankers and mercantalists such as in the Federation but one of patriotic workers and fighters ever vigilant to defend our freedom and liberty against any and all who would desire to take them from us.

Very well said. I left the State for a reason. Unfortunately, I doubt very highly I'd return to formal employment with a Mega even if the original ways of thinking were restored in the State, particularly when I can help shape my own corporation along such ideals with my own hands.