These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Stealth Pilots in 0.0

Author
Singoth
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#161 - 2012-11-18 14:09:48 UTC
AFK = Away From Keyboard.

Please tell me more about how they pose a threat.

Less yappin', more zappin'!

Gotch Urarse
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#162 - 2012-11-18 14:45:38 UTC
This is one n00b who got to covert-ops, decided to duck into null, had to go afk (RL family issue), warped cloaked to 100km of a moon (I did have probes out)... returned to a few nice guys who made sure I took a quick/safe trip back to my clone.

Soooo.... AFK stealth isn't so AFK stealth -OR- I'm a dumb a$$. (my ISK is on the latter)

That said, refitting and heading back out. The thrill out here is way to much fun.
Tubrug1
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#163 - 2012-11-18 14:48:18 UTC
Hocico wrote:
Hi,

what can we do against afk stelth pilots in 0.0 ? Nothing !!!

She wait any hours and we cant mining, ratting ore others.... attacks comes only vs mining Barges ore infight Ships and are rar....

CCP we need a tactic against this idiots.... thats not pvp.

AFK waiting for 4 ore more hours is an Exploit.

Hoc

I detect a CVA alt.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#164 - 2012-11-18 14:49:34 UTC
Gotch Urarse wrote:
This is one n00b who got to covert-ops, decided to duck into null, had to go afk (RL family issue), warped cloaked to 100km of a moon (I did have probes out)... returned to a few nice guys who made sure I took a quick/safe trip back to my clone.

Soooo.... AFK stealth isn't so AFK stealth -OR- I'm a dumb a$$. (my ISK is on the latter)

That said, refitting and heading back out. The thrill out here is way to much fun.

If you warped to 100, and sat there, honestly people will usually check by warping to stuff at 0 or 100, so they guessed and decloaked you.

Next time, set your ship to move (upwards) at full speed and they shouldn't be able to do that. Or use a safespot.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

It'sNotMyFaultYourMother ThrewYouAway
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#165 - 2012-11-18 14:54:13 UTC
What can you do?

Simply put:
1 guy cloaking, grab 2 combat pilots to protect your miners.
3 guys cloaking, grab 4 combat pilots to protect your miners.
5+ guys cloaking. Go mine the **** somewhere else.

1 guy cloaking is only a problem if you're solo mining anyhow.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#166 - 2012-11-18 14:57:29 UTC
It'sNotMyFaultYourMother ThrewYouAway wrote:
What can you do?

Simply put:
1 guy cloaking, grab 2 combat pilots to protect your miners.
3 guys cloaking, grab 4 combat pilots to protect your miners.
5+ guys cloaking. Go mine the **** somewhere else.

1 guy cloaking is only a problem if you're solo mining anyhow.

Get hotdropped by a Boat and his blob.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Gotch Urarse
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#167 - 2012-11-18 15:07:36 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Gotch Urarse wrote:

If you warped to 100, and sat there, honestly people will usually check by warping to stuff at 0 or 100, so they guessed and decloaked you.

Next time, set your ship to move (upwards) at full speed and they shouldn't be able to do that. Or use a safespot.

Ahh... thank you. I thought I did that, but in the frantic reality of RL, I may of forgot. Thanks for the pointer.
MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#168 - 2012-11-18 15:13:13 UTC  |  Edited by: MatrixSkye Mk2
Singoth wrote:

You are playing on the literal definition of the words "AFK cloaker" which is deceiving and untruthful. It's like claiming that an "engineer" only works on engines.

I don't much care for 0.0 folk, but assuming that "AFK cloakers" are harmless because, by the literal definition of the word, they are "AFK", is dishonest.

An AFK cloaker doesn't simply "AFK cloak", and that's it. It is an important part of the process, but it isn't the only part to the process of AFK cloaking. An AFK cloaker "parks" an alt for days or weeks in a system having the ability to walk away from his computer while the rest of the system population remains vigilant and alert, as they should, might I add. But the AFK cloaker will also periodically check up on the system and pick and choose targets always on his terms. If the AFK cloaker doesn't find a suitable target, then he leaves his alt undisturbed for another few hours, days, weeks, until he and only he decides what conditions will he PVP under.

In my opinion, the lack of balance is in the ability of the the AFK cloaker to hunt but never be hunted. Yes, you can spring traps to catch an AFK cloaker. But I mainly see two problems with this:

1) The AFK cloaker must choose to fall for the trap. In other words, the AFK cloaker still chooses when to engage and under what conditions. He has the ability to bring nonconsensual PVP to others while others aren't afforded that same ability and against the AFK cloaker.

2) Because alts are usually employed to AFK cloak, they have the ability to spend large amounts of time AFK. Springing a trap will require the attention of the AFK cloaker, which means the AFK cloaker will have to be on the keyboard at the time that the trap is sprung. Or, those springing the trap will have to spend a significant amount of time and effort keeping the trap sprung until the AFK cloaker takes notice, which could take weeks even. And even then nothing guarantees that the AFK cloaker will choose to fall for the sprung trap.

But I think the important issue here is we need to understand what exactly is it that an "AFK cloaker" does. Propagating the belief that an AFK cloaker is simply someone that AFK cloaks and that's it, is dishonest at best. There are better arguments defending the AFK cloaking profession, but this is definitely not one of them.

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#169 - 2012-11-18 15:15:14 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
Singoth wrote:

You are playing on the literal definition of the words "AFK cloaker" which is deceiving and untruthful. It's like claiming that an "engineer" only works on engines.

I don't much care for 0.0 folk, but assuming that "AFK cloakers" are harmless because, by the literal definition of the words, they are "AFK", is dishonest.

An AFK cloaker doesn't simply "cloak" and that's it. It is an important part of a process, but it isn't the only process to AFK cloaking. An AFK cloaker "parks" an alt for days or weeks in a system having the ability to walk away from his computer while the rest of the system population remains vigilant and alert, as they should, might I add. But the AFK cloaker will also periodically check up on the system and pick and choose targets always on his terms. If the AFK cloaker doesn't find a suitable target, then he leaves his alt undisturbed for another few hours, days, weeks, until he and only he decides what conditions will he PVP under.

In my opinion, the lack of balance is in the ability of the The AFK cloaker to hunt but never be hunted. Yes, you can spring traps to catch an AFK cloaker. But I see two main problems with this:

1) The AFK cloaker must choose to fall for the trap. In other words, The AFK cloaker still chooses when to engage and under what conditions. He has the ability to bring nonconsensual PVP to others while others aren't afforded that same ability and against the AFK cloaker.

2) Because alts are usually employed to AFK cloak, they have the ability to spend large amounts of time AFK. Springing a trap will require the attention of the AFK cloaker, which means the AFK cloaker will have to be on the keyboard at the time that the trap is sprung. Or, those sprining the trap will have to spend a significant amount of time and effort keeping the trap sprung until the AFK cloaker takes notice, which could take weeks. And even then nothing guarantees that the AFK cloaker will choose to fall for the sprung trap.

But I think the important issue here is we need to understand what exactly is it that an "AFK cloaker" does. Propagating the belief that an AFK cloaker is simply someone that AFK cloaks and that's it, is dishonest at best. There are better arguments defending the AFK cloaking profession, but this is definitely not one of them.

No, you silly.

You're trying to argue with trolls.

xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#170 - 2012-11-19 12:44:06 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
lol don't you love it when you get players going,, NO NO NO,, leave our fav thing to do alone, even if it is without a counter to it.

I have a question for cloakers, the so called AFK ones, why are you so afraid of a counter to cloaking ?

i use cloaks all the time and wouldn't have a problem with there being a counter to it, infact it would make the hunt/being hunted that bit more exciting Lol

i might be wrong, but meh, the only reason i'd not want a counter to cloaking is if i was AFK and could be found while i was busy watching tv/playing another game/on another account/walking the dogs/having a sleep/not paying attention to the game.

the only reason i can see for people not wanting a counter to cloaks say a ship (destroyers) being able to fit a module that can transmit a signal within the same range of a directional scanner that would upset a cloaking device enough to allow the right skilled player to be able to probe him down, perhaps with specialized probes would be if your AFK.
because i know if was cloaked and being hunted i'd be bouncing around the system.

fear a change to cloaking mechanics, fear the cloak disruptors AFK pilots, i don't blame you lol

Because we realise that it is a mechanic that is already perfectly balanced and does not require a counter any more than someone being docked requires a "counter", and how it is a very necessary mechanic as a result of the stupid and outdated local mechanics. I have yet to see a single anti-cloaker post provide legitimate reasons as to why cloaking, as it currently is, is an issue, or why they should be able to kill other players who are afk.

Also, they seem to fail to realise how absolutely every single suggestion as a counter - disruptors, probes to find them, fuel/cap usage, etc - utterly destroy several legitimate activities for active players, and completely undermine the point of about 2000 systems (hello there wormhole space).

I find it rather amusing you claim we are the ones who fear things, when the only people crying about cloaks and desiring change are people who are petrified of a single other player being in their little backwater nullsec system, and who refuse to employ any of the dozen mechanics available to them to deal with that single lone player.

Seriously, just go back to highsec. You lot are pathetic.

lol here's a wake up call for ya ole pal ole buddy Lol a cloaked ship could sit all day cloaked where i hang and i wouldn't give a shite, when it pokes its head out i'll use them other dozen mechanics you speak of and kill it, I don't care if someone sits AFK, cloaked for a month, it's their time to waste lol, you know people are doing the AFK cloaked thing, we've all done it.
I use cloaks quite a lot myself, so i know the score,
i'm just saying i wouldn't have a problem with a change to the mechanics to make things a little more exciting.

so no it's no perfectly balanced, cloak on removed from grid cannot be hurt by bombs or smart bombs, you think that's balanced. lol

you can be amused all you want, not all of us are crying about it, some of us are pointing out that hey, what are you scared of ? that your little SB might die if you go AFK for too long lol, and you call others pathetic and advise them to go back to high sec lmao, come on man, a little change never hurt anyone. it's just a game, i have no problem with my internet space ship blowing up, 1's & 0's bud, i'm sure you don't worry about losing a ship now and then yourself Blink
XxRTEKxX
256th Shadow Wing
Phantom-Recon
#171 - 2012-11-19 14:08:05 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:
Posting in ban afk cloaking thread #1229572945734

Deal with it. Try a wormhole. There are afk cloakers there as well, but without local you don't have to stop what you are doing. Roll

I agree.
pussnheels
Viziam
#172 - 2012-11-19 14:15:59 UTC  |  Edited by: pussnheels
like other people said there are belts in other systems

but let highlight the hypocricy , those that AFK cloak also tend to be the ones that whine and and whine forever about AFK mining ; is there really a different no there isn't

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

Rordan D'Kherr
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#173 - 2012-11-19 14:21:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Rordan D'Kherr
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
Singoth wrote:

I don't much care for 0.0 folk, but assuming that "AFK cloakers" are harmless because, by the literal definition of the word, they are "AFK", is dishonest.

An AFK cloaker doesn't simply "AFK cloak", and that's it. It is an important part of the process, but it isn't the only part to the process of AFK cloaking. An AFK cloaker "parks" an alt for days or weeks in a system having the ability to walk away from his computer while the rest of the system population remains vigilant and alert, as they should, might I add. But the AFK cloaker will also periodically check up on the system and pick and choose targets always on his terms. If the AFK cloaker doesn't find a suitable target, then he leaves his alt undisturbed for another few hours, days, weeks, until he and only he decides what conditions will he PVP under.

In my opinion, the lack of balance is in the ability of the the AFK cloaker to hunt but never be hunted. Yes, you can spring traps to catch an AFK cloaker. But I mainly see two problems with this:

1) The AFK cloaker must choose to fall for the trap. In other words, the AFK cloaker still chooses when to engage and under what conditions. He has the ability to bring nonconsensual PVP to others while others aren't afforded that same ability and against the AFK cloaker.

2) Because alts are usually employed to AFK cloak, they have the ability to spend large amounts of time AFK. Springing a trap will require the attention of the AFK cloaker, which means the AFK cloaker will have to be on the keyboard at the time that the trap is sprung. Or, those springing the trap will have to spend a significant amount of time and effort keeping the trap sprung until the AFK cloaker takes notice, which could take weeks even. And even then nothing guarantees that the AFK cloaker will choose to fall for the sprung trap.

You miss an important point: AFK cloaking (you call it cloaked parking, which fits better) would be considered as griefing in other games. In EvE, there is no griefplay. So, cloaked parking aka AFK cloaking is a legit style of play. This has been stated by CCP various times. It's pretty much the same situation with bumping and being bumped.

Bumping serves the bumper, cloaking serves the cloaker, griefplay serves the griefer. Just EvE.

vOv

Don't be scared, because being afk is not a crime.

BuckStrider
Nano-Tech Experiments
#174 - 2012-11-19 14:38:21 UTC
Just because of this thread, I'm loading up a bomber.

Mine smart. Mine safe. Purchase your mining permit today...... www.minerbumping.com

Kenneth O'Hara
Sebiestor Tribe
#175 - 2012-11-19 17:33:25 UTC
Hocico wrote:
Hi,

what can we do against afk stelth pilots in 0.0 ? Nothing !!!

She wait any hours and we cant mining, ratting ore others.... attacks comes only vs mining Barges ore infight Ships and are rar....

CCP we need a tactic against this idiots.... thats not pvp.

AFK waiting for 4 ore more hours is an Exploit.

Hoc

Remove local. Then you could mine.

Bring Saede Riordan back!! Never Forget! _"__Operation Godzilla Smacks Zeus"  ~__Graygor _

Bi0sun
Doomheim
#176 - 2012-11-19 17:38:22 UTC
i dont see how players can gain an advantage from being AFK, there is no way to know if they are active or not, with a fleet ready to cyno in behind them or not.

i does stop peeps playing
Kenneth O'Hara
Sebiestor Tribe
#177 - 2012-11-19 17:45:26 UTC
Bi0sun wrote:
i dont see how players can gain an advantage from being AFK, there is no way to know if they are active or not, with a fleet ready to cyno in behind them or not.

i does stop peeps playing

How do they really know "if" they are afk or not if they never leave the safety of their POSes? I say they should call their bluff. If they don't get ganked, then the cloaker was afk. I they weren't afk... whoops, I guess you should've stayed in the POS.

Bring Saede Riordan back!! Never Forget! _"__Operation Godzilla Smacks Zeus"  ~__Graygor _

Eli Green
The Arrow Project
#178 - 2012-11-19 17:45:28 UTC
If only i got paid for every time this thread came up Roll

wumbo

rothmal
Vengance Inc.
#179 - 2012-11-20 05:27:39 UTC
As a Renegade pilot I fly a lot of covert ops ships. Im out there making bookmarks and looking for good systems to camp in a cheetah. And i don't understand you guys go to null sec for pvp not for mining. I've never seen the pvp pilot's complain about me being in there systems it's always the miners. Null is supposed to be the wild west of eve not a nanny state.
psycho freak
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#180 - 2012-11-20 05:44:40 UTC
I allways thought thats what cloaks were for to be sneaky and wait out your target before attacking when not expected hmmm i must be mistaken

my spelling sux brb find phone number for someone who gives a fu*k

nop cant find it