These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How Would You Change Nullsec?

Author
Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#161 - 2012-10-21 20:25:03 UTC
Natsett Amuinn wrote:
PS: It seems strange that the place were you need the most production, it's actually set up so that mass production isn't as worthwile. Even with considerably more people playing in high, null still sees more stuff getting blown up. Yet it's high sec that actually is priced to support mass production of goods. That just seems a little backwards to me.

And when was the last time you saw a factory producing tanks on the frontline?

You need to tell me that in the event of a protracted campaign whether any 0.0 ally would retain it's production in areas where the supply of ships and armory could be seriously threatened.

Highsec is and will always be used to retain supply - regardless of ease-of-use or cost - because of it's strategic benefits.

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#162 - 2012-10-21 20:29:42 UTC
Touval Lysander wrote:

So what you're suddenly trying to say is, hisec is where the hearts of all empires must be?

Oh dear.

Touval Lysander wrote:
You need to tell me that in the event of a protracted campaign whether any 0.0 ally would retain it's production in areas where the supply of ships and armory could be seriously threatened.

That's where "defending your own home space from roaming gangs" would come into play, something which right now isn't even on the table because the only thing roaming gangs can do anything about is dumb ratters.

Touval Lysander wrote:
Highsec is and will always be used to retain supply - regardless of ease-of-use or cost - because of it's strategic benefits.

So, given your vision for EVE, why build any sort of empire in nullsec at all?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#163 - 2012-10-21 20:33:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Touval Lysander wrote:
It's about people whining saying something can't be done or it's too expensive or it's too hard or it's this or it's that. I'm stating it CAN be done and the costs are NOT that disproportionate IF NO OTHER SOLUTION EXISTS.
In other words, it can't be done and the costs are disproportionate.

Quote:
The QUESTION being debated is would it be the panacea to get people BACK into or RETAINED in null. I dispute that it would because most 0.0 chars already have indy setup in highsec on indy chars.

[…]

MY motivation: Get yer hands OFF highsec to make 0.0 better. Just fix 0.0 already. WHATEVER it takes.
“Whatever it takes” means drastically worsening the situation for highsec, both for the reason just listed and for the reason that incentives are needed to spur those who aren't already there. So no, hands will be on highsec in many new and interesting ways.

Quote:

This is a good argument for the complete removal of all highsec production capabilities — so that the frontline actually has a chance of reaching the tank factory and needs to be relocated to a new place behind the front lines.
Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#164 - 2012-10-21 20:35:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Meryl SinGarda
I would take Nullsec and toss it inbetween high and low-sec, instead of having it on the outskirts of the galaxy. That way, one minute you could be flying through 6.0 security space and the next -3.

Watch your step.

Edit: Because I don't think stargates should be so organized as to link you from high-sec to low-sec and then inevitably to nullsec.
Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#165 - 2012-10-21 20:37:46 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:

I see you've decided to completely ignore this metric, then:
Number of moons in deklein: 2994
Number of people in GSF: 8873
Number of people in TNT: 1267

Total number of moons required if everyone should have their own POS: 10140.

This scales well.

Easily.
You're assuming that GSF and TNT in it's entirety want to do production - all 10,140 of you.
You're assuming that every single char is a single person - all 10,140 of you.
You're assuming that not even 4 people could get together and share costs/facilities. If just 4 people share a POS then you have more moons than POS's.

You're assuming I can't do math.

And to be fair, I went to refute this last night and thought I'd let you off the hook because obvious is obvious.

Quote:

The only one bitching about the current ice price, is you. The cheapest large POS is still 350 mill pr month, and that is a non-interdicted price, which is ice you must either import or make yourself (at great expense time-wise, time which I spend being logged off or doing other moneymaking activities).

I don't care about ice prices. Has no impact on me. You're just being silly.

You argued that production POS's would be too expensive. They can be setup so it is cheaper to produce at a POS than highsec station production. But if you're now saying that you could use the POS's (that you wouldn't setup) for moon goo bla bla... Which also means you would either buy or mine the ice ad infinitum.

If you really want to do this, at what point do we start factoring in the time it takes to produce in highsec and return the finished product to 0.0 using JF fuel etc. instead of a quick hauler trip to the array?

If we're going to start throwing in random variables then we will be here a long time.

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#166 - 2012-10-21 20:43:23 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Touval Lysander wrote:
It's about people whining saying something can't be done or it's too expensive or it's too hard or it's this or it's that. I'm stating it CAN be done and the costs are NOT that disproportionate IF NO OTHER SOLUTION EXISTS.
In other words, it can't be done and the costs are disproportionate.

Obviously. But since you took it out of the intended context, you're just wordsmithing.

Quote:

Quote:

This is a good argument for the complete removal of all highsec production capabilities — so that the frontline actually has a chance of reaching the tank factory and needs to be relocated to a new place behind the front lines.

If all of Eve was meant to exist purely for the support of 0.0, yes, true.

But it's not.

Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#167 - 2012-10-21 20:51:47 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Touval Lysander wrote:

So what you're suddenly trying to say is, hisec is where the hearts of all empires must be?

Oh dear.

Touval Lysander wrote:

That's where "defending your own home space from roaming gangs" would come into play, something which right now isn't even on the table because the only thing roaming gangs can do anything about is dumb ratters.

Touval Lysander wrote:

So, given your vision for EVE, why build any sort of empire in nullsec at all?

Oh ffs Zim. You're better than that.

You quoted "roaming gangs" when I said "protracted campaign" - I'm not talking about "skirmishes" and you know it. (though, I spose a 500 man fleet might be called a "roaming gang" to GSF - who knows)

You're trying to tell me that in the event of a major campaign against you (or any 0.0 allly) that you would rely completely on resupply from within the frontline? Seriously? Maybe that's why you're wasting your time here and not running the Goons.

As for why have empire? You said yourself that it's not just about ISK, it's a LIFESTYLE choice. And I fully concur.

But really, empire building? Whose empire? You guys are whining you got nothing to do - so I'm assuming "empire building" isn't working very well for the people in it - is it now?

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#168 - 2012-10-21 21:00:47 UTC
Touval Lysander wrote:
Obviously.
Good. So stop trying to claim that it's possible and reasonably priced. And no, the context was entirely clear. You made a claim that was contingent on a condition that is not (and never will be) true.

Quote:
If all of Eve was meant to exist purely for the support of 0.0, yes, true.

But it's not.
As luck would have it, it's a good argument for the complete removal of highsec production regardless. It's just that, since it would make non-null rather boring, we have to settle for the next best thing: to ensure that production inside someone else's territory (e.g. the empire factions) is deeply and horribly unfavourable to any kind of large-scale effort.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#169 - 2012-10-21 21:17:59 UTC
Touval Lysander wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:

I see you've decided to completely ignore this metric, then:
Number of moons in deklein: 2994
Number of people in GSF: 8873
Number of people in TNT: 1267

Total number of moons required if everyone should have their own POS: 10140.

This scales well.

Easily.
You're assuming that GSF and TNT in it's entirety want to do production - all 10,140 of you.
You're assuming that every single char is a single person - all 10,140 of you.
You're assuming that not even 4 people could get together and share costs/facilities. If just 4 people share a POS then you have more moons than POS's.

If we ignore the whole theft possibility, and the ridiculousness which is "hurr grant POS roles to everyone", you're still left with the costs of either fetching both minerals and fuel blocks, or the implicit cost of spending the time to extract and refine and haul the ore and the isotopes, the time and the fuel costs making the new fuel for the POS etc etc etc, and you're looking at the JF fuel costs of moving the goods to the main staging system/main trading hub in the region. All of these costs do add up, especially the time spent which is time you could've spent either doing something else in real life or spent doing other, more lucrative things in-game and rather just spent the money on making the goods in hisec and transporting the goods up from there.

Touval Lysander wrote:
And to be fair, I went to refute this last night and thought I'd let you off the hook because obvious is obvious.

Sure you did.

Touval Lysander wrote:
You argued that production POS's would be too expensive. They can be setup so it is cheaper to produce at a POS than highsec station production. But if you're now saying that you could use the POS's (that you wouldn't setup) for moon goo bla bla... Which also means you would either buy or mine the ice ad infinitum.

If you really want to do this, at what point do we start factoring in the time it takes to produce in highsec and return the finished product to 0.0 using JF fuel etc. instead of a quick hauler trip to the array?

If we're going to start throwing in random variables then we will be here a long time.

If you actually read what I'd written, you would've seen that I said production POSes were more expensive than hisec in a myriad of ways.

First of all, if you're running a mining POS, chances are you can run a smaller POS than if you run a production POS, which means your costs are higher than if you were to do just mining on that moon. Secondly, you've got to either expend time and JF fuel to haul minerals and fuel to the POS, or you've got to expend time and energy to mine minerals and isotopes etc to turn into the appropriate fuel blocks, time you could've spent doing other, more lucrative things. Thirdly, you have to then haul your maelstroms to the staging system or market hub, and in my case that would equal just as many JF jumps (and consequently just as high cost) as jumping them directly from hisec.

So in short, using hisec I can spend a few hours setting up the production, then wait for the production to finish, and then setup a courier contract and have someone else haul them to UMI (or jump them myself for even less cost vOv), while you've either spent most of the month hauling fuel and minerals to keep the POS fuelled and fed with minerals, or you've spent more or less the same amount of isk getting minerals and fuel hauled to the production system, spent that fuel to make the maelstrom, and then expended the same amount of JF fuel yet again to haul the maelstroms from that system to the current staging system.

And let's hope you don't have a nice case of theft (either from the POS or the station corp hangar) or the POS has a bad case of lead poisoning.

RIP Vile Rat

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#170 - 2012-10-21 21:18:15 UTC
Add a type of Cyno Jammer that can be permanently anchored to a POS that reduces the jump range of any given ship by 60%... the area of affect would encompass several systems out in any direction, and anyone attempting a jump from anywhere to anywhere else would be affected if the point to point jump path was intersected by the Range Reduction Cyno Jammer.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#171 - 2012-10-21 21:26:17 UTC
Touval Lysander wrote:
You quoted "roaming gangs" when I said "protracted campaign" - I'm not talking about "skirmishes" and you know it. (though, I spose a 500 man fleet might be called a "roaming gang" to GSF - who knows)

A roaming gang means exactly the same thing now as when you were in FA. You might've heard of them, it's the ones derping around ganking ratters and miners.

Touval Lysander wrote:
You're trying to tell me that in the event of a major campaign against you (or any 0.0 allly) that you would rely completely on resupply from within the frontline? Seriously? Maybe that's why you're wasting your time here and not running the Goons.

I would assume that a "major campaign against us", we would have a front where the majority of hostilities took place, and then there would be roaming gangs running around and harassing miners.

As for "resupply from within the frontline", I've no idea what you're on about, since I would assume the production, if nullsec industry were fixed, would be going on somewhere well behind the frontline.

Touval Lysander wrote:
But really, empire building? Whose empire? You guys are whining you got nothing to do - so I'm assuming "empire building" isn't working very well for the people in it - is it now?

Gee, it's almost like there might be a reason for this. Surely it couldn't be that CCP has made nullsec increasingly **** over the years in comparison to f.ex hisec.

RIP Vile Rat

Spurty
#172 - 2012-10-21 21:37:01 UTC
Take all Goon snoblords and delete their accounts (hand their money back).

Listen to the guy that actually had a very good list of ideas (and was **** posted by a snoblord goon).

Make the game worth playing again (minus all the neck beards).

Seriously **** posting people that actually contribute makes you look like the dullard you really really are.

Carry on thinking the rest of you. I might disagree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#173 - 2012-10-21 21:38:24 UTC
^hahahaha
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#174 - 2012-10-21 21:39:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Lord Zim
Huh, deleting the accounts of "goon snoblords", while defending everyone's right to say anything. Now I've heard everything.

RIP Vile Rat

Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#175 - 2012-10-21 21:40:52 UTC
Spurty wrote:
Take all Goon snoblords and delete their accounts (hand their money back).

Listen to the guy that actually had a very good list of ideas (and was **** posted by a snoblord goon).

Make the game worth playing again (minus all the neck beards).

Seriously **** posting people that actually contribute makes you look like the dullard you really really are.

Carry on thinking the rest of you. I might disagree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it.

What the balls?

It is like the perfect mix of stupid and cliche.

Can't be real.
Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#176 - 2012-10-21 21:43:45 UTC
Imports Plus wrote:

Here's a thing. I read this and I read his last instalment and looking forward to the rest.

And here's my POV on this whole topic summarized (not just in this thread).

I've included a rework to timers etc. on POS's as part of my debate. Make them easier to take down and provide an incentive to do so.
I've included distribution of moon goo - and gone as far as make it an evolving and variable supply.
I've suggested refineries get buffed - to max at 100% in 0.0. A stupid restriction with no value because of the simplicity to do refine in highsec.
I've even suggested a method to force retraction of size - by removing the neccessity for that size - so that space is not "wasted".

And I've stated all these things PRE-Weiselior.

In closing I just wanna leave this bit right here.....
Quote:
However, that’s not the only problem: the model of industry is broken when it comes to 0.0. Station-based industry leaves nothing to attack. There are some forms of industry that exist in 0.0 that can be built up, attacked, and defended, but they’re rare and poorly implemented.

POCO's and POSes are the prototype of the village: you put one up, and you’ve got the chance to do something you couldn’t otherwise. In return, your enemies get to destroy it. It’s the right idea. It’s also so badly implemented I cannot recall a single episode of anyone shooting an industry POS or a POCO and coming back to destroy it since Goonswarm blew up a bunch of towers in empire just for the hell of it several years ago.

Now Zim. Taking what a GOON said in the above and my concept of readily destructible POS's - which you absolutely and unequivocably poo-poo'd as a bad idea... Maybe I am indeed closer to the damn truth and the solutions than you'll ever realise.

The biggest point about destructible POS's was to make them worth shooting in addition to having POS's that have a chance of being dangerous. This will make more people use that space and provide targets for everyone - the attacker and the attackee.

Perhaps you might see I actually DO have your best interests, AND everyone elses, including highsec, at heart. It's because I serve no other master than Eve itself.

If we just get rid of the whiney BS, and present a co-ordinated approach to what the REAL problems are, perhaps more will come of it all.

I'm on the public record arguing the real issues despite the angst thrown at me. Let's just see where this goes.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#177 - 2012-10-21 21:47:44 UTC
Touval Lysander wrote:
If we just get rid of the whiney BS, and present a co-ordinated approach to what the REAL problems are, perhaps more will come of it all.
To do that, you will have to accept the fact that one of the real problems is the availability and (lack of) cost of highsec S&I slots.
Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#178 - 2012-10-21 21:54:40 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:

A roaming gang means exactly the same thing now as when you were in FA. You might've heard of them, it's the ones derping around ganking ratters and miners.

Which have zero effect on 0.0 industry unless they specifcially target supply lines. You're obfuscating.

Quote:

I would assume that a "major campaign against us", we would have a front where the majority of hostilities took place, and then there would be roaming gangs running around and harassing miners.

As for "resupply from within the frontline", I've no idea what you're on about, since I would assume the production, if nullsec industry were fixed, would be going on somewhere well behind the frontline.

And where is the "frontline" in 0.0. By frontline I mean in your SPACE. By BEHIND the lines I mean highsec - which is where production is being done currently and WOULD NOT CHANGE in the event of a major protracted attack.

Quote:

Gee, it's almost like there might be a reason for this. Surely it couldn't be that CCP has made nullsec increasingly **** over the years in comparison to f.ex hisec.

I've always stated that half the problem is in the control of what goes on. Empire is so much less about the individual and more about the alliance itself as the entity. People rally saying you're protecting the alliances interests, I hear it rarely stated that you're protecting YOUR interests.

THAT needs to change. OWNERSHIP of that space is <> LIVING in that space. A really good reason why many people can't be bothered with it.

Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#179 - 2012-10-21 21:58:27 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Touval Lysander wrote:
To do that, you will have to accept the fact that one of the real problems is the availability and (lack of) cost of highsec S&I slots.

No I don't accept that hypothesis.

It's lack of nullsec slots.

The issue is not about competition, it's about retention/recruitment to 0.0.

More 0.0 slots and NO cost in 0.0 makes highsec cost and availabilty irrelevant.

The reverse will just create impact on highseccers.

UNLESS - the intent is to force supply of highsec FROM 0.0 which is an entirely different argument.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#180 - 2012-10-21 22:00:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Touval Lysander wrote:
And where is the "frontline" in 0.0. By frontline I mean in your SPACE. By BEHIND the lines I mean highsec - which is where production is being done currently and WOULD NOT CHANGE in the event of a major protracted attack.
So the real problem here is that you're using words in a drastically different sense than one would normally use them.

By “frontline”, people generally mean “frontline”, as in where one territory comes up against another and forces clash. That will not be in anyone's space — it will be on the border of someone's space. By “behind the lines”, people generally mean “behind the lines” as in not on the front lines; behind them; within the territory you own… not within some completely unrelated party's territory.

In a protracted attack, one would expect the frontline to sooner or later creep past what was previously considered behind the lines, and any facilities in that space would be lost to the enemy's advance.

Quote:
No I don't accept that hypothesis.

It's lack of nullsec slots.
It's not really a hypothesis. It's just how the game works. No amount of nullsec slots will make them preferable to highsec ones unless the highsec ones constantly run out, are too expensive to use, and/or are as insecure as the nullsec ones.

Quote:
The reverse will just create impact on highseccers.
Highseccers will always be impacted due to the interconnected and interdependent nature of the EVE industry and market. This is a good thing.