These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

My theory on a way to expand eve

Author
Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#41 - 2012-10-18 01:59:32 UTC
Saede Riordan wrote:

Eve is a sandbox game about spaceships, treachery , and space assholes.

When did spaceships get introduced?

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#42 - 2012-10-18 02:09:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Touval Lysander
On the OP, I sorta hinted at a similar idea called H-space (not to be confused with highsec) that did similar things.

(H = Home incidentally).

- System resources improving as the system was expanded with "survey mods" fitted to POS's.
- As you expanded your risk increased proportionally to the resources etc.
- You could chose to stay small and just chip away at low yield stuff or reach for the sky.
- It incorporated ship size restrictions etc. etc.

And then I realised I was sort of describing - in Tippia's own words - a static WH.

I'm still convinced there is room for something like this and with months of it rattling around in my head, I may still cough up the details because it would - for want of a better word (**** off Tippia) - "solve" a lot of the "problems" in Eve I've seen over the years.

I'm yet to come up with a dovetail to fit it into current lore but I'm also aware that Eve is but one galaxy. Even in RL, we're aware of more than that.

So maybe one day.

Nice post OP. No idea, no matter how big or small, good or bad, should ever be discarded "just because" so ignore the naysayers.

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Herr Hammer Draken
#43 - 2012-10-18 06:09:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Herr Hammer Draken
I see expansion of eve ideas all the time.

My first problem with every idea is about the way eve is designed and how it uses nodes on the server.
I do not think they can expand eve to multiple servers. Not sure on that. They are already adding Dust to the server.
You can only do so much before it impacts game play.

OK I always put game play first.

So if any expansion idea is considered it must first, not impact current game play at all in a negative way.

Given the fact that CCP has to implement TiDi when too many players get into a single node already I kinda think eve is already near its limits. I for one do not want more players in eve.

Second people being what they are they will always want to be in Jita. No matter how many galaxy's get added (if they can work with eve) everyone will want some sort of jump drive so they can get to Jita from where ever they are in a few minutes.

So to the op's idea it sounds cool but I vote no. No point to it unless eve can grow much larger without any negative impact to game play and thats clearly not the case given TiDi.

Herr Hammer Draken "The Amarr Prophet"

Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#44 - 2012-10-18 06:16:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Touval Lysander
Herr Hammer Draken wrote:
I see expansion of eve ideas all the time.

My first problem with every idea is about the way eve is designed and how it uses nodes on the server.
I do not think they can expand eve to multiple servers. Not sure on that. They are already adding Dust to the server.
You can only do so much before it impacts game play.

OK I always put game play first.

So if any expansion idea is considered it must first, not impact current game play at all in a negative way.

Given the fact that CCP has to implement TiDi when too many players get into a single node already I kinda think eve is already near its limits. I for one do not want more players in eve.

Second people being what they are they will always want to be in Jita. No matter how many galaxy's get added (if they can work with eve) everyone will want some sort of jump drive so they can get to Jita from where ever they are in a few minutes.

So to the op's idea it sounds cool but I vote no. No point to it unless eve can grow much larger without any negative impact to game play and thats clearly not the case given TiDi.

Have faith, Moore's Law has stayed pretty solid for 40 odd years Expect to last another 10 at least and then we'll be into a new realm.

Push the envelope and to hell with the sticky bit Big smile

(Bearing in mind TiDi isn't about systems, it's about what's in them.)

Herr Hammer Draken
#45 - 2012-10-18 06:30:44 UTC
I am also wondering right now how TiDi will impact Dust as the two games run on the same server and players can interect with each other. For example EVE destroyers are supposedly able to bombard the surface in a bombing mission in dust. What happens if the system is impacted by TiDi and that destroyer is moving very slow? Does it also slow down Dust? Do the players in Dust then move very slow as well to be in time sync with the eve player? If they do how upset will they get because of what is happeneing elsewhere in eve in the same system (maybe a big corp battle) which triggers TiDi in that system and has nothing at all to do with the current dust battle.

Keep in mind any eve player trying to fill a dust mission in that system will be TiDi impacted and will take forever to get into orbit to fill that mission so dust will have to keep time with eve. I can see the back lash already from impatient FPS shooters. What is this TiDi **** .....

Herr Hammer Draken "The Amarr Prophet"

Skippermonkey
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#46 - 2012-10-18 09:57:54 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
TL;DR.

At first i thought he wanted more nulsec space created, but then i realised he wanted more hisec space created.

Theres plenty of enthusiasm in the OP, but little worthwhile substance

COME AT ME BRO

I'LL JUST BE DOCKED IN THIS STATION

Freezehunter
#47 - 2012-10-18 12:40:07 UTC
Pfft...

Most of 0.0 is a desolate wasteland where you don't meet a single soul for 20+ jumps and you want a new galaxy?

No thanks, we are spread out thin enough as it is.

Inappropriate signature, CCP Phantom.

stationmonkey
Synthetic Arbitration
Job's Done.
#48 - 2012-10-18 13:42:45 UTC
Skippermonkey wrote:
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
TL;DR.

At first i thought he wanted more nulsec space created, but then i realised he wanted more hisec space created.

Theres plenty of enthusiasm in the OP, but little worthwhile substance

I do want more null created. But in order to do so, you have to have a viable method. Since we cant just "build" new stars.. (well its a game I guess we could) expanding would have to be galaxy oriented. The feedback has been entertaining tho =-)

As for the guy who claims were already stretched too thin... Are we? Are we really? Or should we be stretched a little thinner so that the smaller alliances have a chance to find the Achilles heel of the bigger armies out there? I guess that's for each of us to decide.

Personally, if its not just seeded and bammo a new galaxy is there. And players have to go through the hoops of building finding and exploring, the growth can be maintained at a rate that doesn't get ahead of everything. (probably) =-)~ But would eventually force power blocks to either split their forces, or choose a galaxy.

In reference to the Jita problem. That's pretty simple. That node is already the busiest in the game. Just put the Caldari gate in Jita!. Done and done. Perhaps all the gates should be built in the respective trade hubs.

Fly True, Strike Sure, and Keep Up!

Stationmonkey
Te'bral
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2012-10-18 14:25:03 UTC
stationmonkey wrote:
For some getting more players out there is to get more targets. That's totally true. But its also because if your in a secure location in nullsec you can build things so much faster than you can in high sec that if your lucky enough to be an industrialist in a powerblock your in like Flynn! Unfortunately this is not an easy thing to do. And requires you to join corps and alliances in order to make it happen. Eve is a game of patience and planning. If you don't have both of those your likely to have a bad go at this game. Expanding in the manner I suggest would give new players a little more leeway to explore the scarier parts of space without so much fear. Its not going to stop the camps on the bottlenecks into null or anything. (nor should it) but it would change the landscape and change the way the powerblocks influence the game. Giving a chance for new members to understand the advantages of life outside of Concord patrolled areas.

No disrespect meant, but I still dont see a reason given that would encourage me to bother. All I hear are reasons for other people. So, players are telling other players to enter low sec and Null to benefit other people. If there was a reason for me to go to null or low sec that was beneficial to me or my corp I would go, but right now I dont have any reasons to rush into some "risk" areas for no reason besides someone wants me to be here.

I might be short sighted or just missing something, but I enjoy the game that I have experienced, and am learning new aspects of the game all the time. One day I will participate and enjoy the PVP aspect of the game, but right now I am building stuff, learning the scanning exploration aspect.

I am not the type of player to be totally against going to riskier parts of space, I am just not at that point.

I just dont think I should say, oh let me go here just cause someone wants me to, and not get a benefit from it except get blown up. When i am ready to learn PVP fits and such I will have some fun in low and null, but why go there when there is no reason to
Chandaris
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#50 - 2012-10-18 18:28:00 UTC
Wall of text crits for 9000

TL;DR.. Space is big enough.. More than half the systems in eve are always empty.
Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#51 - 2012-10-18 22:17:42 UTC
Chandaris wrote:
Wall of text crits for 9000

TL;DR.. Space is big enough.. More than half the systems in eve are always empty.

Here's a thing.

Owned by .....[please insert a napfest name here that has less than 1000 members]....

Sheynan
Lighting the blight
#52 - 2012-10-18 22:29:13 UTC
If CCP ever (after fixing all the other systems) started thinking about this, they should, in my personal opinion, do the following:

A) Don't make the gate a chokepoint of any kind
B) only allow T1 frigates with only ammunition and blueprints in
C) restrain gate access to something like "once per week" per account.
D) Hide a few pretty terrible ancient assembly arrays somewhere

That would make for a fun colonisation Big smile
Wacktopia
Fleet-Up.com
Keep It Simple Software Group
#53 - 2012-10-19 00:34:06 UTC
If you cannot summaries your idea in one sentence at the start it's probably not a good idea.

Kitchen sink? Seriousy, get your ship together -  Fleet-Up.com

Previous page123