These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How are you set up?

Author
Taranius De Consolville
Doomheim
#21 - 2012-10-17 12:20:50 UTC
Im sorry but this doesn't fly.

I have 4 children and two of them have laptops, those laptops are not allowed to leave the front room under any circumstances, there are also two tvs in the fron room, one for the ps3/xbox 360 and one for tv, there are also two desktop pcs in the front (yes i have a large house)

You cannot turn console gamers into pc gamers, i know this from exp, i have and own a 360, i play it maybe once a week, it simply doesnt interest me all that much

We choose our platforms because we are comftable
Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#22 - 2012-10-17 12:38:36 UTC
@op

:hugs: to little ones

You make a point about something interesting to notice, the usual PS3 gamer vs the usual Eve player (PC) flowing this idea that majority of Eve community is about +30 yo.

I think Dust needs some time to get known, played by regular fps/console gamers to take out some conclusions and ideas to improve interactions or numbers. The base idea of making so Dust can be played on PC it's a good one but again, this needs some data over time and nice long talking about.

Atm I'm not playing Dust at all, simply because I'm a pc gamer and can't even feel the presence of console pad closer than 1m before I transform in to a nasty mad gremlin and kick it all over the place Lol , but I have the feeling like many around that making so Dust can be played on PC would change a lot of things.

brb

Herr Hammer Draken
#23 - 2012-10-17 12:39:59 UTC
I have a PC gaming room dedicated to Multiple PC's for LAN gaming.
We have a family room with a TV and an Xbox my son's. He only uses it after TV watching is done.
Family of 4. We will never have PS3. I will not buy one and my son is Xbox only guy.
My gaming room does not double as any other room in the house and is always available for pc gaming.

So we will never play Dust unless it gets ported to a PC. And it does not excite me enough to buy it either for the PC.
If it was free for the PC I would probably try it out.

Herr Hammer Draken "The Amarr Prophet"

Robert De'Arneth
#24 - 2012-10-17 12:45:51 UTC
46, kids grown up and out of the house, I have one my daughters old rooms for my game room, have 4 pc's and one tv with x-box on it, would never own anything that said Sony on it, some people might for forgive SWG, but i never will, never will i buy a sony product, so could care less about dust, will never play it or even interact with it, because it is on a sony platform. :) I debated long and hard about quitting eve because ccp is with sony. I hate sony that much!!

I'm a nerd, you can check my stats!! Skilling Int/Mem at 45 sp per minute is how I mack!     I'm like a lapdog, all bark no bite. 

Lord Ryan
True Xero
#25 - 2012-10-17 12:59:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Lord Ryan
My PS3 used to be in the living room on one of those big TV's. Since I don't watch TV* and almost never go in the living room I moved it my office. I change stuff every couple months, but it looks something like this now. I've gotten used to the 22" LED and perfer it now. I do have a couple large TV's but they didn't work well with any setup I tried.

*I have been watching TV programs on Netflix the last couple months. I've found several to be quite good without the damn commercials.

*edit* I should note I'm 35 and married and my office looks like this. My wife has a grownup office on the lower level that we used to share, before reverted to a child.

Do not assume anything above this line was typed by me. Nerf the Truth, it's inconvenient.

Zixie Draco
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#26 - 2012-10-17 13:01:24 UTC
What are you guys talking about? When I play the game, I get into my game car and go to game work come to game home and pet my game dogs. Then when I get back to real life, I get in my important spaceship, train and study important things, and do important stuff.

Would you like a kitten?

dethleffs
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2012-10-17 13:03:16 UTC
I can only show you with pretty pictures:

Stasion batelle d'dethleffs
Lord Ryan
True Xero
#28 - 2012-10-17 13:05:41 UTC
Robert De'Arneth wrote:
46, kids grown up and out of the house, I have one my daughters old rooms for my game room, have 4 pc's and one tv with x-box on it, would never own anything that said Sony on it, some people might for forgive SWG, but i never will, never will i buy a sony product, so could care less about dust, will never play it or even interact with it, because it is on a sony platform. :) I debated long and hard about quitting eve because ccp is with sony. I hate sony that much!!

I feel you, but I bought a 360 and the xbox external HD DVD player with lots movies. After that fiasco I sold all my Xbox stuff and switched to Sony. I'll never go back. I di get lucky I saw the announcement on the net almost a week before it television news. I got most of my money back.

Do not assume anything above this line was typed by me. Nerf the Truth, it's inconvenient.

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#29 - 2012-10-17 13:13:57 UTC
My ps3 is in the lounge where the TV is, and it sees far more usage as a dvd/blueray player than a games platform.

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#30 - 2012-10-17 13:15:12 UTC
dethleffs wrote:

How can you live like that?
Lord Ryan
True Xero
#31 - 2012-10-17 13:15:20 UTC
A setup I used earlier this year. Not shown but the Samsung had a HDMI input and a source button so I could switch back and forth between Eve and PS3.

The wife murdered another PC so she has has the Samsung right now. And knowing how she is with PC's, no way I'm taking it back. Gonna buy a Mac 27 after I pay down the CC's

Zixie Draco
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#32 - 2012-10-17 13:29:41 UTC
Christmas lights enhance the experience Big smile

SQUEEE!

Would you like a kitten?

Senarrius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#33 - 2012-10-17 13:30:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Senarrius
Riot Girl wrote:
I just play on my PC in my study. I don't own a television as it's not in keeping with the style of my home.

Same for me really.

Lately I've spent the majority of my time mining and just leveling skills.

I look up once in a while to check if there are any other ships and when I need to change targets to other asteroids.

That's what I like about EVE so much. I don't feel compelled to do PVP or missions to get something done, and my studies don't suffer.

I like things simple mostly

Desk and system
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#34 - 2012-10-17 13:34:39 UTC
I have my PC next to my TV in a living room and I have a place under TV to put console there and sit on a couch and play comfortably but I won't do it simply because I don't like console games.

Only console game I played was xbox version of Fallout 3 and I bought xbox only because I couldn't afford to get PC modern enough to run F3 and that game was included as a bonus for xbox360 on sale. But that was Fallout3, legendary game renewed so exception from a rule for me.

I have no intention to become a DustBunny and honestly I don't see how anybody can go from console FPS into PC life-leeching monster called Eve. Dust has a chance of getting people into Eve but only those who enjoy both worlds, it will fail in case of console exclusive crowd.

Invalid signature format

Barrak
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#35 - 2012-10-17 14:02:40 UTC
Rellik B00n wrote:
PC men cannot use stupid d-pads to play FPS games as they will always be slower and less accurate than a keyboard and mouse.

I'm really trying, but also failing miserably.
Barrak
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#36 - 2012-10-17 14:03:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Barrak
Taranius De Consolville wrote:

I have 4 children and two of them have laptops, those laptops are not allowed to leave the front room under any circumstances, there are also two tvs in the fron room, one for the ps3/xbox 360 and one for tv, there are also two desktop pcs in the front (yes i have a large house)

I want your living room!

*EDIT*

Loving the replies............

some counter replies in no particular order.

1. so messy.
2. so cool.
3. so mad.
4. so bright
4. love the battlestar galatica stuff Blink
Lord Ryan
True Xero
#37 - 2012-10-17 14:13:54 UTC
Taranius De Consolville wrote:

You cannot turn console gamers into pc gamers, i know this from exp, i have and own a 360, i play it maybe once a week, it simply doesnt interest me all that much

We choose our platforms because we are comftable

Would probably have a setup like this if I ever had demon spawn. Hopefully that will never happen!

Josef Djugashvilis
#38 - 2012-10-17 16:22:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Josef Djugashvilis
Riot Girl wrote:
dethleffs wrote:

How can you live like that?

Man, I was thinking, how can he drink that much?

Still, everybody has the right to go to hell in their own way.

This is not a signature.

eddie valvetino
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#39 - 2012-10-17 16:25:07 UTC
Webvan wrote:
Mara Rinn wrote:
because sitting kills you, don't you know

Wii..

vs. lazy-boy recliner and laptop table Big smile
teh winz!
Die Happy

I let my partner divorce me and take the kid.

Now i live in a small box in an alley way with a 10 year old laptop

ahhhh perfect.
Spurty
#40 - 2012-10-17 16:40:47 UTC
upstairs is the family's 100%. Contains:

- terrible TVs
- DVD player,
- iPads
- iPods

downstairs (basement) is mine (75%, 25% is for food and amenities) - contains:
- x 7 PCs
-- 2 of which are Ubuntu boxes
-- 3 Windoze 7 machines (All gaming spec)
-- Macbook Pro (for work)
-- Netbook - Ubuntu (for jobs at the work bench like soldering that I really should follow instructions for and fixing people that get virus's computers from)
- Wii (Plus 4 controllers as sometimes you just have to SQUASH the kids at something to remind them you're the boss!)
- Xbox 360 (I have no idea why I own this machine, I use it about once a month if that)
- HD TV, but clearly not big enough for Steam Big Screen!

2 kids (4 and 7, both boys) and a wife that sleeps here, but seems to live at work :-/

I work from home, so in the down time, I get to play games. Sadly, downtime is getting less and less these days :-/

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP