These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Easy fix to afk cloakers: Cumulative Cap Upkeep

First post
Author
Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#41 - 2012-10-16 11:29:41 UTC
Angeal MacNova wrote:
Quote:
So one ping of your Covert Probes and you instantly know how many people are cloaked

You've scanned using probes before right?

Send out a bunch, position around the system, scan, detect, reposition with a shorter scan range, scan, detect with a greater strength, rinse and repeat until 100% scan strength and only then you can warp there?

How is that in anyway a 'one ping and found'?

And that scanning is just to track down where they are in the solar system. Once you warp there they will be somewhere within a 50, 100, whatever km range of where you warped in and in who knows which direction. Both range and direction would vary. So then you have to basically wander around with this module active which would send out a ping up to a limited range once per cycle. So then you have the cycle time. 5, 10, 15 sec cycle time.

Those at the keyboard can stay cloaked, they just have to periodically reposition and those that can use the covert ops cloak could probably just fly while cloaked to maintain a safe range from the searching ship.

When you quote someone and reply, its customary to inclued at least the full sentence. Then you can base your reply on the context of that persons statement.

Quote:
So one ping of your Covert Probes and you instantly know how many people are cloaked up in your Wormhole.....

Well done, you Just broke Wormholes!

You've been in a Wormhole before right?

Send out a bunch, position around the system, scan, detect..... Nothing else. You now have a list of all the ships in the system (as long as your probes cover the system). Granted you dont have a 100% warpable point to these ships, but knowing they are there and what they are can be enough.

My point stands.... Covert Probes break Wormholes.

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#42 - 2012-10-16 11:30:55 UTC
What game mechanic are pilots using, to interact with you whilst they are AFK?

When you've answered that question, please answer this one.

Why are you not suggesting ways, to reduce that game mechanic's effectiveness?

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Camera Drone
EYES 3VERYWHERE
Sentinel.
#43 - 2012-10-16 12:36:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Camera Drone
maciek9 wrote:
Doddy wrote:
If they nerf 100% safe cloaking tey gotta nerf 100% safe hidey in stations too. You wouldn't like that.

Totally stupid argument, you can capture station with enough time and force, you cant do anything to afk cloak.

You can do ANYTHING with enough time and force. So stupid argument meets stupid argument.

on-topic: Cloaking and afk cloaking is perfectly fine as is. Here are ways to counter or prevent afk cloakers and keep your ratting systems safe. I've listed them numerous times in other threads as well (on alt forum chars), but here they are again:

• Containers, wrecks, corpses and bubbles, lot's of them!

• Get a proper intel channel (or other form of intel)

• Put some perma-scouts in your constellation/region, preferably with decent scanning skills

• Diplomacy

• Baiting and killing afk cloakers with similar tactics in their home system and force them to stop doing it to you.

• If the afk cloaker is smart enough to be in an npc corp or alt corp, be a detective and find his ties to whatever hostile corp/alliance his main is in, through locator agents, forum posts, corp history, etc.

• Hotdrop the hotdroppers with a fleet on standby (you should have at least a few capitals or pvp support... as pure pve alliances shouldn't be able to thrive in 0.0 / w-space anyway). Use jump bridges properly if you have them.

• Your corporations/alliances espionage network should be able to provide warpins if needed

• Bribes / Ransom (as a last resort, because this will encourage other afk cloakers)

• Fit your ships accordingly. A sebo/sig amp to lock up bombers before they cloak/warp, web+disr or scram to hold them down if you are in a slow ship, 1 medium or large neut pretty much nullifies a bombers effectiveness. A lot of ships can field ecm drones as well to help you. Heck, even smartbombs or ecm bursts help in certain situations.
NuNu Dagobah
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#44 - 2012-10-16 12:41:47 UTC
This idea is bad, and you should feel bad for suggesting it, also, it's been suggested several hundred times, it won't be changed because it's working as intended
AFK cloaking is not broken, look to the above posts for arguments

That said, local has to be switched to delayed mode everywhere, not just in W-space
Camera Drone
EYES 3VERYWHERE
Sentinel.
#45 - 2012-10-16 13:02:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Camera Drone
- nvm
maciek9
Beach Boys
The Minions.
#46 - 2012-10-16 13:05:52 UTC
Camera Drone wrote:
maciek9 wrote:
Doddy wrote:
If they nerf 100% safe cloaking tey gotta nerf 100% safe hidey in stations too. You wouldn't like that.

Totally stupid argument, you can capture station with enough time and force, you cant do anything to afk cloak.

You can do ANYTHING with enough time and force. So stupid argument meets stupid argument.

No you can't find an afk cloaker, therefore only your argument is stupid
Camera Drone
EYES 3VERYWHERE
Sentinel.
#47 - 2012-10-16 13:08:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Camera Drone
You clearly didn't get my point. With enough time and force (as the poster before me stated), you can do anything. Even finding an afk cloaker somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Think of the analogous brute force attacks in cryptography. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute-force_attack )

More realistically, with some 50-ish pilots in fast warping ships, you can sift through a lot of safespots between celestials fairly quick and maybe weed out the more stupid afk cloakers. But if they align anywhere in a random direction, it's near impossible (it's never fully impossible) to catch them.
maciek9
Beach Boys
The Minions.
#48 - 2012-10-16 13:12:06 UTC
Camera Drone wrote:
You clearly didn't get my point. With enough time and force (as the poster before me stated), you can do anything. Even finding an afk cloaker somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Think of the analogous brute force attacks in cryptography. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute-force_attack )

I get your point, only thing your statement is true only in theory. There are no means to find an afk cloaker in middle of nowhere.

Camera Drone
EYES 3VERYWHERE
Sentinel.
#49 - 2012-10-16 13:14:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Camera Drone
I have personally managed to decloak a cloaker by bookmarking and warping to several points in between celestials, I didn't manage to kill him though as he wasn't afk :p

My point being: If you aren't paying enough attention to local + dscan, then you are allowing an afk cloaker to find himself a decent enough spot to sit in while cloaked.
maciek9
Beach Boys
The Minions.
#50 - 2012-10-16 13:18:25 UTC
Camera Drone wrote:
I have personally managed to decloak a cloaker by bookmarking and warping to several points in between celestials, I didn't manage to kill him though as he wasn't afk :p

My point being: If you aren't paying enough attention to local, then you are allowing an afk cloaker to find himself a decent enough spot to sit in while cloaked.

Cool story dude Lol
Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#51 - 2012-10-16 13:40:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Robert Caldera
if someone dedicated decides to sit somewhere, where you used to jew, with a cyno, you're f*cked. Thats it.
Why should that be different tbh? Why should you have immunity to something like that? There is no reason why...
Space is for everyone, for this purpose CCP gave us cloak and cloaky ships. Its all fine and intended. You are afraid of ratting in such systems with other people hanging around there but its a different story and something you have to solve, game mechanics around that are all fine.
Baroness Vulna
Armada vi Vulnezia
#52 - 2012-10-16 13:44:01 UTC
Robert Caldera wrote:
if someone dedicated decides to sit somewhere, where you used to jew, with a cyno, you're f*cked. Thats it.
Why should that be different tbh? Why should you have immunity to something like that? There is no reason why...
Space is for everyone, for this purpose CCP gave us cloak and cloaky ships. Its all fine and intended. You are afraid of ratting in such systems with other people hanging around there but its a different story and something you have to solve, game mechanics around that are all fine.

Cloaking is wonderful and I never said it wasnt by the way. People who are patient and have the time to sit and cloak and wait for prey they can pounce on MORE POWER TO THEM!

But i will never support players who go cloak in a system, leave their computer and go watch TV, go out of their home and just sit there cloaked. It is a failed game mechanic, it should not be supported and I think my ideas (mainly the destroyer idea) is a fun, balanced way to counter boring afk cloakers and have fun doing it.

/sign

brought to you by -Barony of Vulnezia MMO micro nation- www.vulnezia.com Be a part of the world's first MMO Micro Nation

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#53 - 2012-10-16 14:05:30 UTC
maciek9 wrote:
Trolling is for people lacking logical arguments. And noone wants safe place for ratting. So far the afk cloakers are the only
people that are safe in 0.0. This should be restricted to hi sec space as you said yourself....

I cherry picked this response from the forest of back and forth rhetoric.

It symbolizes the out of touch perspective being projected onto cloaking.

First off, cloaking is not ratting. It's purpose is not the direct recovery of ISK.
It is, in point of fact that is quite established: A COUNTERMEASURE.

Clarifying this point, you must accept that local is being used to gather intel. Do not pretend otherwise, as in a majority of cases local is what informed the local system a pilot was present they could not otherwise know about.

So, the opposing player has flawless intel telling them you are in the system. What are your options to counter this?
Blob them? Grossly ineffective. A blob cannot be realistically maintained beyond a certain point, and requires extensive effort. Local in outlying systems allows scouts to instantly know a fleet is approaching. Don't bother against targets that can either dock or log off.

Send a cyno scout? Same problem as the blob. Local makes their presence obvious, allowing potential targets ample time to easily evade them.

It boils down to the real obstacle being local intel. So long as local intel is useful, offensive strikes are handicapped to a level of absurdity.
As intel tools go, due to it's flawless reliability and zero effort to use, it is over powered.

And this is why you have AFK cloaking. It is the only means demonstrated to counter this intel source. So long as local reports intel that is not actionable, people are forced to either choose inactivity or risk.
That is it's goal.

If you want to remove AFK Cloaking, remove the reason it exists.
Baroness Vulna
Armada vi Vulnezia
#54 - 2012-10-16 14:09:39 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
[quote=maciek9]

Fine, then remove lazy players with my first idea of giving cloaking devices timers...you too lazy to sit at your computer and PLAY the game like it supposed to be played then your cloak turns off we find you we pop you, done! Next.

brought to you by -Barony of Vulnezia MMO micro nation- www.vulnezia.com Be a part of the world's first MMO Micro Nation

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#55 - 2012-10-16 14:18:12 UTC
Baroness Vulna wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
[quote=maciek9]

Fine, then remove lazy players with my first idea of giving cloaking devices timers...you too lazy to sit at your computer and PLAY the game like it supposed to be played then your cloak turns off we find you we pop you, done! Next.

This is backwards, and comparable to a child stuffing their fingers into their ears, and saying, "lalalalala I can't hear you"!

There will be ZERO AFK cloaking to threaten with so long as the intel provided by local stops interfering with PvP.

Defense should require at least some effort beyond watching a chat channel's roster.
Baroness Vulna
Armada vi Vulnezia
#56 - 2012-10-16 14:29:48 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Baroness Vulna wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
[quote=maciek9]

This is backwards, and comparable to a child stuffing their fingers into their ears, and saying, "lalalalala I can't hear you"!

There will be ZERO AFK cloaking to threaten with so long as the intel provided by local stops interfering with PvP.

Defense should require at least some effort beyond watching a chat channel's roster.

What? i can't hear you. :)

Actually i have always liked the idea of removing local in nulsec...i mean there is no concord or empire guys to track who is in system anymore right?

Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#57 - 2012-10-16 14:33:06 UTC
Baroness Vulna wrote:

you wont even have to add some kind of cycle timer on cloak if there wouldnt be instant local intel, because people wouldnt be forced to do that - the only reason people afk cloak is to stalk in the chat window, to force you between inactivity or risk because they have no other means to get you killed in presence of such powerful and flawless tool.
Afk cloaking comes at huge costs, its not free, it takes a whole paid account being busy all the time, 23/7 to be effective, which denies anything else on that paid account; it takes a lot of energy running a PC, it takes your CPU power which you maybe would need otherwise. You really should understand why afk cloaking is done and required and thats not free kills.
Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#58 - 2012-10-16 14:39:39 UTC
Baroness Vulna wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
[quote=maciek9]

What about black ops? I usualy log my redeemer alt into some nullsec system (idealy shortly before the locals start logging in, but I'm not perfect) and then spend HOURS watching a site waiting for someone to run it. I'm not afk, but the locals have no way of knowing that. So why should I get punished because you THINK I'm afk.

Your idea totally ruins black ops because it forces me to constantly revel my possition (black ops can't warp while cloaked so I'm pretty much stuck in whatever anom I've parked in) thus undoing all the work I had put into setting up a gank that is risky enough as is. (the target could warp away while my gimped sensors attempt to lock them, it could be a bait ship and I get jumped, or that mach I though was pve fit could turn out to be a pvp nanomach and then things get to go south pretty fast)
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#59 - 2012-10-16 14:42:44 UTC
Baroness Vulna wrote:
What? i can't hear you. :)

Actually i have always liked the idea of removing local in nulsec...i mean there is no concord or empire guys to track who is in system anymore right?

The point is, local creates the need to use a countermeasure.

AFK Cloaking did not just happen, it evolved to meet this need.

It only exists to meet the need for a countermeasure to local intel.

(Consider how ridiculous it would be to AFK Cloak while noone knew you were present)
Baroness Vulna
Armada vi Vulnezia
#60 - 2012-10-16 14:47:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Baroness Vulna
Astroniomix wrote:
Baroness Vulna wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
[quote=maciek9]

What about black ops? I usualy log my redeemer alt into some nullsec system (idealy shortly before the locals start logging in, but I'm not perfect) and then spend HOURS watching a site waiting for someone to run it. I'm not afk, but the locals have no way of knowing that. So why should I get punished because you THINK I'm afk.

Your idea totally ruins black ops because it forces me to constantly revel my possition (black ops can't warp while cloaked so I'm pretty much stuck in whatever anom I've parked in) thus undoing all the work I had put into setting up a gank that is risky enough as is. (the target could warp away while my gimped sensors attempt to lock them, it could be a bait ship and I get jumped, or that mach I though was pve fit could turn out to be a pvp nanomach and then things get to go south pretty fast)

My idea suggests only, add on to it simply by saying "add an option for black ops pilots who are active to keep the cloak device from overheating or whatever, just so it doesnt decloak you." The point is to keep players honest, those who just go afk while cloaked should have things to worry about.

Cloaking is awesome and should be made more powerful, not be abused by lazy pilots who go afk. for hours on end.

Honestly i like my destroyer idea more than the cumulative cap upkeep thing now. but feel free to talk about my awesome idea's more.