These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Any tips for getting a frightened "My shiny ship" carebear to pvp?

First post
Author
Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2012-09-06 18:36:43 UTC
Robert De'Arneth wrote:
What is wrong with naming ships!! Sad The 1st thing I do when I assemble ship is name it!! Naming your ship, shows you care, even it is going to get blown up 10 minutes later!!

Haha, it is okay m8.

It is just that when you flag-ship a T1 ship that you are likely to lose "can result in serious emotional pain" ;).
I am just stating that this is not something like WoW or other games where you just respawn and lose nothing.

confirthisposmed

I'm probably typing on a Tablet too, which means the auto-correct is silly and fixing typos is a pain. I ain't fixing them.

Azami Nevinyrall
#42 - 2012-09-06 18:37:29 UTC
If at first you don't succeed, bring more friends with Catalysts...

The VC's
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2012-09-06 18:58:11 UTC
Roll a couple of alts and stick them in RvB. The are the least risk adverse organisation in Eve, hands down. The pvp is simple enough for anybody to have fun and the 'Death AND Glory' attitude is very evident on comms.

He won't be risking his treasures and he'll be flying with a lot of players who are new to ship exploding too.

You can have a lot of fun with 50 mill isk
Ila Dace
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2012-09-06 19:03:56 UTC
Ask him to a frigate duel 1v1 just you and him. He supplies and fits his own T1 frigate, and you bring yours.

If you have corp mates, set up a Snipe Hunt. One cruiser (the snipe) fit for tanking and killing frigates (a Vexor, for example), 5 players in T1 frigates, and one hunt master in a cloaky non-combat ship. The snipe gives aggression (takes ammo from a can, or ideally all the same corp), then gets two minutes to run for it. The group must scan the snipe down, warp in on him at safe, for example, tackle and blow him up. Several frigates will die in the process, but the cruiser ought to go down.

I used the snipe hunt as a training exercise back when I was a PvP director in an old corp. It's a lot of fun, and everyone gets practice with d-scan and warp-to-tackle.

If House played Eve: http://i.imgur.com/y7ShT.jpg

But in purple, I'm stunning!

Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2012-09-06 19:07:22 UTC
Nice idea :). (seriously meant)

However, I think there might be a language barrier issue due to solely understanding german. However, I'm somewhere certain he won't be joining a corp without me (and my alts are all preoccupied at this corp).

Another thing I should probably mention is that he is (or was) actually in a PVE corp with missioning and mining. But he never really got anything out of it. It was pretty much one of those corps that somewhere take more advantage out of the newbie participants and paying back zero/nada/nothing.

RvB is a good thing though. I have to still get him through basic training. I'm sure german players participate there too, but it is best he knows basics. As far as I know, he doesn't know the basic EVE-english terms like "align", "Point", etc. - but that's my job :D!

confirthisposmed

I'm probably typing on a Tablet too, which means the auto-correct is silly and fixing typos is a pain. I ain't fixing them.

Maxpie
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#46 - 2012-09-06 19:11:35 UTC
Some observations from my own experience:

-Encourage him to get a jumpclone
-Provide him with pre-fit T1 frigs
-Put together a small gang with the express intention of roaming low sec until you get blown up. If possible, arrange a fun fight. It doesn't even have to be a fair fight, just a fight where, even if you all die, he will have experienced that pulse-pounding, mouse-hand shaking thrill.

You can't force him to pvp if he just doesn't want to. Reality is, some people just won't do it, but you can put the conditions in place to give him a good chance of getting a taste of it which is something more than having been ganked.

No good deed goes unpunished

Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#47 - 2012-09-06 19:19:15 UTC
Got it.

All righty, will ask in the missiions forum area which lowsec sites are viable.

I suppose some semi-pve site there should be worth checking out, as we are likely to have unpleasant guests pop up heh.

I have to figure though if Radar/Mag sites for instance are that viable with cruisers. Taking BCs would go a bit too far.

confirthisposmed

Ager Agemo
Rainbow Ponies Incorporated
#48 - 2012-09-06 22:15:25 UTC
i dont quite understand the pvp phobia thing... i m always willing to throw away ships all the time up to faction battleships, who cares they are just bits, i m a lame pvper XD but at least i know i m not afraid.
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#49 - 2012-09-06 22:18:46 UTC
I've found that people are a lot more willing to fight when you supply them a ship and teach them how it works. That'll get them to come out of their shell a bit, enough to see if pvp is really their thing. You can get a cheap pvp ship for less than 10 million isk if you know how to shop about.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Maxxatan
SSEO KG
#50 - 2012-09-06 22:26:15 UTC
Deena Amaj wrote:
Historical Research Advocate wrote:
Bring him onto SISI and spend a weekend in one on one training and sparring. Then he can see what you're doing, how you're doing it, and can ask questions. Rather than mashing buttons and praying on Tranquility

Damn. I didn't even think about that one.
Now that's another great idea right there.

Keep the shiny stuff on TQ. Play around on SISI.

I think that pretty much nailed what I may be looking far.

He will either die too much on SISI and become upset, or die too little on SISI and never leave SISI.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=143535

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#51 - 2012-09-06 22:51:14 UTC
You need to introduce him to a situation that he knows is PvP oriented and make sure he is not alone. Have PvP be the goal. Get him in the mindset that he is not in a surprise pvp situation. If he is in it because he wants to be then he will lose the fear of it easier. Some people say just toss him in the water with him kicking and screaming, but I fear it will just further enforce his fear of pvp.

Find a cheap tournament or pvp event to have him and you participate in. You just need to butter him up to it with friendly sparing and other things like helping you theory craft on fits and such for pvp. The more you involve him with pvp related thing, the more likely he will reach the goal of logging in and terrorizing as a cold blooded ruthless pirate.
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#52 - 2012-09-06 22:57:32 UTC
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode wrote:
I've found that people are a lot more willing to fight when you supply them a ship and teach them how it works. That'll get them to come out of their shell a bit, enough to see if pvp is really their thing. You can get a cheap pvp ship for less than 10 million isk if you know how to shop about.

10 million?! I was thinking for of less than a million. 10 million is a lot for a new player and there is a very real psychological effect when you can look at a ship and say, "Well the ship doesn't even cost a million so I don't care if it dies."
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#53 - 2012-09-06 23:04:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Gizznitt Malikite
1.) The rifter project is a tried and true, excellent method for introducing people to PvP....

2.) Sisi is a risk free, easy to do method for trying out EvE PvP... you can even take out super shiny ships and blow them up and it won't matter because everything costs 100 isk on sisi!

3.) Challenge him to a duel in noob-frigates.... that literally costs nothing...

4.) If it wasn't for the "only-speaks-german" thing I'd recommend RvB or taking an Agony Unleashed's PvP Basic class.... There are several German-speaking Corps / alliances that you can run with... but I don't kow if they teach PvP....

Does he like shooting at NPC rats? Does he like flying his ship in space?
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#54 - 2012-09-06 23:10:24 UTC
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
1.) The rifter project is a tried and true, excellent method for introducing people to PvP....

Slashers are even better now, as I understand it. With a cool name that sounds a little psychoish.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Cyprus Black
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#55 - 2012-09-06 23:14:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Cyprus Black
Quote:
Any tips for getting a frightened "My shiny ship" carebear to pvp?
Yeah, 100% ship reimbursement. He won't be afraid to lose a ship if he gets a replacement for free + mods and in a timely manner. Would you be afraid to smash up a Lamborghini if you knew you'd have free and infinite replacements? I wouldn't.

He can PvP to his hearts content and it'll never hurt his wallet.

Ship reimbursement is a good way to get a carebear to PvP. It's a policy that works for the Goons and I wish more 0.0 alliances would do it.

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

Demolishar
United Aggression
#56 - 2012-09-06 23:21:24 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:

10 million?! I was thinking for of less than a million. 10 million is a lot for a new player and there is a very real psychological effect when you can look at a ship and say, "Well the ship doesn't even cost a million so I don't care if it dies."

He's been playing for a few years though. His clone alone probably costs 10-20mil now. Not to mention expensive implants that you risk losing if you take them into pvp, and get your training time increased by a quarter if you don't use them at all (costing the equivalent in ISK of roughly 5 million ISK a day if you use no implants vs +5 implants).
Historical Research Advocate
Doomheim
#57 - 2012-09-06 23:35:38 UTC
Maxxatan wrote:
Deena Amaj wrote:
Historical Research Advocate wrote:
Bring him onto SISI and spend a weekend in one on one training and sparring. Then he can see what you're doing, how you're doing it, and can ask questions. Rather than mashing buttons and praying on Tranquility

Damn. I didn't even think about that one.
Now that's another great idea right there.

Keep the shiny stuff on TQ. Play around on SISI.

I think that pretty much nailed what I may be looking far.

He will either die too much on SISI and become upset, or die too little on SISI and never leave SISI.

what a stupid comment.
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#58 - 2012-09-06 23:41:17 UTC
Demolishar wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:

He's been playing for a few years though. His clone alone probably costs 10-20mil now. Not to mention expensive implants that you risk losing if you take them into pvp, and get your training time increased by a quarter if you don't use them at all (costing the equivalent in ISK of roughly 5 million ISK a day if you use no implants vs +5 implants).

And another potential player to join in PvP is discouraged by the clone upgrade costs. Sure you can get a naked clone to bypass risking implants, but if the clone upgrade costs are already keeping him from PvPing then there is no hope.

Maybe one day CCP will wake up and realize your friend would have risked a lot more in ships than his current clone upgrade costs. Right now he is risking: 0

So much for the clone upgrade ISK sink so many of you claim is a good mechanic.
MinefieldS
1 Sick Duck Standss on something
#59 - 2012-09-07 02:53:23 UTC  |  Edited by: MinefieldS
Deena Amaj wrote:
Another thread reminded me to ask this. Pirate

Uh yeah.

I happen to have a long time buddy from WoW times. He's all cool and stuff and is playing Eve too. I don't have to worry about him reading this since he doesn't speak english, but who cares. :P I want to help him get a bit more of Eve, but I am a bit stuck at the moment.

Whatever. He has the "My shiny ship" syndrome as somebody called it so, where people give their ships names and act like its a flagship and don't want to lose. Additionally, if he/she were to lose that ship, they'd pretty much quit Eve with a single fingersnip.

The other thing is that he does so little things with the actual ships too. So basically, you'll see them fully fitted and stuff like but doing nothing but gathering dust as the station. Not to mention the hours-long studies of staring at it and hearing all these things about ship aestetics (spelling). ~_~ Guess that's what you get for an X3 player flying indestructable shiny ships or whatever ;D.

I said to him that I would even provide throwaway T1 ships whilst joining the 0.0 corp for action as any player can pull up some fun-to-play tactics without worry with them - yet he still refuses.

I know there are certain PVE'er carebears, etc, who do not like PVP and do not need to be forced to it as it is their decision, but I want to know if there some way to break the ice after all. Already tried several "therapies" but I have the feeling this is a tough patient, heh.
I've tried it slow too, but he's still not considering to even hit undock with a damn rookie ship, let alone losing that clone.

I'm quite certain there are a few veterant players who had to put up with this too. Please share your thoughts.
Thanks.

Take him deer hunting or fishing.
Adalynne Rohks
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2012-09-07 03:23:59 UTC
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

It's alright to kinda prod a friend and encourage him/her to try something, but if they really don't want to, you're just gonna get on their nerves after awhile. Believe it or not, some people simply like the "collection" aspect of some games. They collect shiny trinkets, and then look for the rest of the shiny trinkets. I wouldn't get bent out of shape over it.

Different strokes for different folks, y'know?