These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Any tips for getting a frightened "My shiny ship" carebear to pvp?

First post
Author
Ajit Kumar Bhattacharya
DEEP-13
#21 - 2012-09-06 17:31:10 UTC
Deena Amaj wrote:
Another thread reminded me to ask this. Pirate

Uh yeah.

I happen to have a long time buddy from WoW times. He's all cool and stuff and is playing Eve too. I don't have to worry about him reading this since he doesn't speak english, but who cares. :P I want to help him get a bit more of Eve, but I am a bit stuck at the moment.

Whatever. He has the "My shiny ship" syndrome as somebody called it so, where people give their ships names and act like its a flagship and don't want to lose. Additionally, if he/she were to lose that ship, they'd pretty much quit Eve with a single fingersnip.

The other thing is that he does so little things with the actual ships too. So basically, you'll see them fully fitted and stuff like but doing nothing but gathering dust as the station. Not to mention the hours-long studies of staring at it and hearing all these things about ship aestetics (spelling). ~_~ Guess that's what you get for an X3 player flying indestructable shiny ships or whatever ;D.

I said to him that I would even provide throwaway T1 ships whilst joining the 0.0 corp for action as any player can pull up some fun-to-play tactics without worry with them - yet he still refuses.

I know there are certain PVE'er carebears, etc, who do not like PVP and do not need to be forced to it as it is their decision, but I want to know if there some way to break the ice after all. Already tried several "therapies" but I have the feeling this is a tough patient, heh.
I've tried it slow too, but he's still not considering to even hit undock with a damn rookie ship, let alone losing that clone.

I'm quite certain there are a few veterant players who had to put up with this too. Please share your thoughts.
Thanks.

Who's paying for his account? Are you paying for it? If not then let him play his game the way he wants to play it, it's his money that he is paying for that account with and he has every right to enjoy his game however he wants. Some people just don't like to undock, and you need to respect peoples recreational preferences. Maybe his endgame is simply collecting well-fitted ships. Trying to force a certain playstyle "down his throat" is just going to generate resentment on some level, perhaps to the point of him unsubbing or even dropping you as a friend.

In my own life if someone were to try to mess with how I play my game, be it EvE, tic-tac-toe, whatever, I'd tell them to go fk themselves, this is MY game, go play your own.

“How Earth-like? 'Temperate and able to sustain life' Earth-like or 'completely overrun with self-absorbed assholes' Earth-like?”

Jenn aSide
Shinigami Miners
Already Replaced.
#22 - 2012-09-06 17:33:55 UTC
James 315 wrote:
I've heard of PvP-phobia, but this sounds like a very severe case. Normally I would recommend having the carebear fly a throwaway ship and get used to watching explosions, but you already tried that to no avail.

Recommendation: Attack him yourself, blow up his ship. Some birds need to be pushed out of the nest. Cool

I had pvp-phobia my 1st year of playing, I just ran mission after mission after mission and join a mission running corp lol. A corpmate invited me to go roaming with him and 3 real life friends who were in BoB and even gave me a Brutix fit and some mods. off we went and it was a blast, we ended up skirmishing with 3 different small gangs and winning or at least getting away.

Then we encountered a gang From IRC and started fighting on a gate, and a thanatos warped in. Not only my 1st roam, but my 1st time laying eyes on a capital ship, made my Brutix (which to me as a noob as a HUGE ship) look like pebble on the beach lol. I died and got podded, but the infection set in and I've been pvping and flying around null ever sense.
Jim Era
#23 - 2012-09-06 17:36:39 UTC
You should invite him on a mission or something with you.
And

BLOW THE **** OUT OF HIS SHIPS

Teach him loss.
Show him pain.
Make him wish he were never cloned.

Show him that its no hard feelings, and that is just how EVE works.
If he can't deal with that, then you should make sure to post the previous conversation on the forums so that we can all laugh at him. Also make sure to call him a pussy.

*if everything has not worked and he still has not had any adjustment of the positioning of his balls.
Talk about how his ships are pieces of **** and that your tiny ~cruiser, destroyer~ w/e that is decent yet smaller than his, is better than his. (Exaggerate if necessary)

Wave your **** like its bigger than his, and you will soon be met by his waving ****.
I

Wat™

Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2012-09-06 17:41:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Deena Amaj
Quote:

Who's paying for his account? Are you paying for it? If not then let him play his game the way he wants to play it, it's his money that he is paying for that account with and he has every right to enjoy his game however he wants. Some people just don't like to undock, and you need to respect peoples recreational preferences. Maybe his endgame is simply collecting well-fitted ships. Trying to force a certain playstyle "down his throat" is just going to generate resentment on some level, perhaps to the point of him unsubbing or even dropping you as a friend.

In my own life if someone were to try to mess with how I play my game, be it EvE, tic-tac-toe, whatever, I'd tell them to go fk themselves, this is MY game, go play your own.

I thought a post like this wouldn't show up after all, hehe. Allow me to clarify.

He's paying for it. But we're buddies, pracically RL buddies you may say - so in that case I must say "The Emperor protects", meaning I don't want him wasting cash. Pretty much a "help me, help you" thing.

Please don't confuse irony and metaphorical quotes of mine with reality.
Likewise, people suggesting to drag him somewhere and blow him up is likewise counterproductive.

But as I said aleady, he's been a year or two now into the game and he is pretty much just skilling up for nothing. If he wants go pve, I'm fine with that, but I want to guide him so that afterwards he doesn't say "DAMN, I SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT SO MANY SPs INTO INDUSTRY!".

So in that case, in style of a PSA, please refrain from those worries as stated in the post I just quoted.
Nobody is forcing anybody, so I must do say in a normal tone: "Calm down". It is not as extreme as you perceive it.

I would have deep-throated him with frigs long time ago, and I already said I offered ships to lose, but that did not work. But I am certain I need to show him some things or actually get him the feeling that there is more to enjoy in the game.

Not to forget, Eve pvp is very genuine and many people around the globe don't even perceive it. Broadening one's horizon won't do harm.

But as said before, I will insist to ask him for his assistance on a Lowsec area, where we are likely to get blown up. Perhaps we can counter any gank assaults (somewhat), too.

edit: damn copypaste :D

confirthisposmed

I'm probably typing on a Tablet too, which means the auto-correct is silly and fixing typos is a pain. I ain't fixing them.

Abannan
Pew Pew Pirates
Villore Accords
#25 - 2012-09-06 17:43:24 UTC
Tell him to leave the shiney flagship docked up, grab a frigate + t2 fit for 7 million isk and go and get it blown up. Rinse and repeat
Josef Djugashvilis
#26 - 2012-09-06 17:48:54 UTC
Deena Amaj wrote:
Quote:

I thought a post like this wouldn't show up after all, hehe. Allow me to clarify.

He's paying for it. But we're buddies, pracically RL buddies you may say - so in that case I must say "The Emperor protects", meaning I don't want him wasting cash. Pretty much a "help me, help you" thing.

Please don't confuse irony and metaphorical quotes of mine with reality.
Likewise, people suggesting to drag him somewhere and blow him up is likewise counterproductive.

But as I said aleady, he's been a year or two now into the game and he is pretty much just skilling up for nothing. If he wants go pve, I'm fine with that, but I want to guide him so that afterwards he doesn't say "DAMN, I SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT SO MANY SPs INTO INDUSTRY!".

So in that case, in style of a PSA, please refrain from those worries as stated in the post I just quoted.
Nobody is forcing anybody, so I must do say in a normal tone: "Calm down". It is not as extreme as you perceive it.

I would have deep-throated him with frigs long time ago, and I already said I offered ships to lose, but that did not work. But I am certain I need to show him some things or actually get him the feeling that there is more to enjoy in the game.

Not to forget, Eve pvp is very genuine and many people around the globe don't even perceive it. Broadening one's horizon won't do harm.

But as said before, I will insist to ask him for his assistance on a Lowsec area, where we are likely to get blown up. Perhaps we can counter any gank assaults (somewhat), too.

edit: damn copypaste :D

Sounds like your friend has a mind of his own.

Is that a a good or bad thing in Eve?

This is not a signature.

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
Just let it happen
#27 - 2012-09-06 17:52:50 UTC
Maybe he just does not like stress. PvP causes stress and some people just cannot tolerate it very well, and certainly do not enjoy it. If this is the case, all attempts to get him to like PvP will most likely fail. His saying he does not want to lose the ship may be his way of acknowledging his dislike of stress. Its not the loss of pixels that is the the issue, but the stress of the experience. You try to force a stressful experience on him, and you may lose a friend forever.

But you may be able to explain to him that in high sec the chances of losing a ship are so small that he can undock and do stuff. Try for the opposite of a PvP experience, try and keep the stress as low as possible.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#28 - 2012-09-06 17:53:48 UTC
Quote:
Some people just don't like to undock, and you need to respect peoples recreational preferences.

Not so much. EVE is all about not respecting peoples recreational preferences. Blink

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2012-09-06 17:54:59 UTC
Don't need to do the math on that.

We talk. And I won't be doing any secret bullcrap like some may assume either :). If he doesn't want to come along, no problem.

Right now, it is all just about finding ideas on where to go with somebody as a wingman who never did this before.

Trolling bait tactics and or philosophical questions as the one above won't help much either if I were as aggressive as some think I were.

Yet. To reiterate, inviting him along on a Lowsec/0.0 run (though lowsec is obviously the smarter one) is a good idea.

confirthisposmed

I'm probably typing on a Tablet too, which means the auto-correct is silly and fixing typos is a pain. I ain't fixing them.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#30 - 2012-09-06 17:59:25 UTC
Get a frigate and fit a warp scrambler and a Micro-warpdrive orafterburner. Everything else is an optional extra.

Total cost will be under a mil if you go cheap.
Ajit Kumar Bhattacharya
DEEP-13
#31 - 2012-09-06 18:04:40 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Quote:
Some people just don't like to undock, and you need to respect peoples recreational preferences.

Not so much. EVE is all about not respecting peoples recreational preferences. Blink

Agreed. Once I undock you can try to get me to play your way all you want. heheh

“How Earth-like? 'Temperate and able to sustain life' Earth-like or 'completely overrun with self-absorbed assholes' Earth-like?”

Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2012-09-06 18:05:09 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
Maybe he just does not like stress. PvP causes stress and some people just cannot tolerate it very well, and certainly do not enjoy it. If this is the case, all attempts to get him to like PvP will most likely fail. His saying he does not want to lose the ship may be his way of acknowledging his dislike of stress. Its not the loss of pixels that is the the issue, but the stress of the experience. You try to force a stressful experience on him, and you may lose a friend forever.

But you may be able to explain to him that in high sec the chances of losing a ship are so small that he can undock and do stuff. Try for the opposite of a PvP experience, try and keep the stress as low as possible.

Aye. Makes sense.
It is just that there is a time where he would actually run missions, but then stop all along because the ship became too much of a loveboat.

Other thing is if that ship blows up -> Eve ragequit, and he said it himself.

In that case, it is better I try to show him that there is no real stress at all. PVP is likely going to far, but I want him to wander off into Lowsec someday after all, get blown up by obvious pirate camps and then quit.

So I want to "help".

But I totally agree that not everybody can handle PVP stress or are obligated to do pvp.

Look. I actually have an entirely different perspective on "Carebears" to begin with. It is that my perspective and person is rather unimportant and off topic. I just want to know if there are some ways to get people to get the hang of EVE.

Let's not forget that EVE ingame is indeed itty-gritty dark n deadly, merciless most of the times for new players thanks to hoards of douchebagging ass-hatery gangs out there. He'll run into them sooner or later, and I'm talking about the moment when he does get "so bored he want's to do something new (pvp/lowsec)" because that is pretty much the next instance.

So I'd take the chance and duty of inviting him to a duo-roam/lowsec pve or something alike rather than having him blindly run into gankers and ragequitting. He doesn't have to roll with me either, but he needs to know that one does not have to act like they have a ~1bill worth of a clone + Titan if they are not even that old to begin with. :D

confirthisposmed

Hypercake Mix
#33 - 2012-09-06 18:11:04 UTC
Well... in this case... I'd say walk through all the ways to minimize the risk, hop into some cheap fit Battlecruisers, and make it an adventure. Jump clones, a single extra copy of the Battlecruiser, platinum insurance, etc.
Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#34 - 2012-09-06 18:16:48 UTC
Try and see if he's interested in flying logistics or something.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Ajit Kumar Bhattacharya
DEEP-13
#35 - 2012-09-06 18:27:29 UTC
I've learned that it is best to simply offer advice, and then just learn to appreciate the friend for where they are and who they are.

Unless of course they are about to jump off the side of a bridge or they are stuck on Crack. In that case feel free to kick their ass all the way to where help is and then put them in a full headlock until they are safe.

Historical Research Advocate
Doomheim
#36 - 2012-09-06 18:31:02 UTC
Bring him onto SISI and spend a weekend in one on one training and sparring. Then he can see what you're doing, how you're doing it, and can ask questions. Rather than mashing buttons and praying on Tranquility
Sturmwolke
#37 - 2012-09-06 18:33:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Sturmwolke
Deena Amaj wrote:
Please share your thoughts.

Well, buy him some T1 mods and play a noob ship vs noob ship fight (can bait to gain aggro).
Loser gets to buy/make dinner or whatever. Upgrade slowly to T1 frigate fights as you go along.

If that still fails, then don't bother to interest him in ship-vs-ship PVP (never heard/saw extreme case like this in EVE till now).
There are other kinds of PVP that might interest him, the most prominent being market PVP - where you get the pleasure of wrecking the market, annoying/griefing other traders.
Who knows, he might have the potential in him to make billions, your own personal loan department. Twisted
Robert De'Arneth
#38 - 2012-09-06 18:33:48 UTC
What is wrong with naming ships!! Sad The 1st thing I do when I assemble ship is name it!! Naming your ship, shows you care, even it is going to get blown up 10 minutes later!!

I'm a nerd, you can check my stats!! Skilling Int/Mem at 45 sp per minute is how I mack!     I'm like a lapdog, all bark no bite. 

Deena Amaj
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2012-09-06 18:35:18 UTC
Historical Research Advocate wrote:
Bring him onto SISI and spend a weekend in one on one training and sparring. Then he can see what you're doing, how you're doing it, and can ask questions. Rather than mashing buttons and praying on Tranquility

Damn. I didn't even think about that one.
Now that's another great idea right there.

Keep the shiny stuff on TQ. Play around on SISI.

I think that pretty much nailed what I may be looking far.

confirthisposmed

Rexxorr
Perkone
Caldari State
#40 - 2012-09-06 18:35:57 UTC
Baby steps, try baby stepping.

First, does he fly a cov-op ? if not have him train for one.
Second, does he know about instant warp undocks ? if not teach him to make a few at whatever station.
Third, does he know about mwd trick after a gate jump ? if not teach him, course with a cov-op thats not really needed.

Fourth, Have him fly around in the cov-op, cloaked up and all. Go to Jita and watch all the diff ships coming and going, its like planes at the airport.
Fifth, go to some low sec systems, say the one with the eve gate.

Sixth, well thats up to you.