These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

AFK Mining Exploit?

Author
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#41 - 2012-09-06 02:21:50 UTC
Antisocial Malkavian wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
CCP will most likely have to do something about ice mining macks.


isnt that what Goons are for? "Emergent gameplay" and all?

Sure, when it's actually, I don't know, playing the game.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#42 - 2012-09-06 03:11:39 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Antisocial Malkavian wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
CCP will most likely have to do something about ice mining macks.

isnt that what Goons are for? "Emergent gameplay" and all?

Sure, when it's actually, I don't know, playing the game.

I don't know, Jabber online is a pretty great thing.

And now, I can even just zip over to themittani.com and read about the recent happenings.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2012-09-06 03:46:15 UTC
the dev post was about afking in a plex with drones out and repping them in a way that you and your drones wouldn't die, ever, you would log in and sit there all day log in the next day 400mil or so richer.
Gibbo3771
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#44 - 2012-09-06 06:55:17 UTC
Herping yourDerp wrote:
the dev post was about afking in a plex with drones out and repping them in a way that you and your drones wouldn't die, ever, you would log in and sit there all day log in the next day 400mil or so richer.


I see it being no different from hitting your module once an hour and going AFK.
Jorma Morkkis
State War Academy
Caldari State
#45 - 2012-09-06 07:33:52 UTC
Gibbo3771 wrote:
Herping yourDerp wrote:
the dev post was about afking in a plex with drones out and repping them in a way that you and your drones wouldn't die, ever, you would log in and sit there all day log in the next day 400mil or so richer.


I see it being no different from hitting your module once an hour and going AFK.


Still different from "launch your drones and start repping them and check back after 8+ hours".
Gibbo3771
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#46 - 2012-09-06 08:02:24 UTC
Jorma Morkkis wrote:
Gibbo3771 wrote:
Herping yourDerp wrote:
the dev post was about afking in a plex with drones out and repping them in a way that you and your drones wouldn't die, ever, you would log in and sit there all day log in the next day 400mil or so richer.


I see it being no different from hitting your module once an hour and going AFK.


Still different from "launch your drones and start repping them and check back after 8+ hours".


So if someone was to mine while not at there screen while only coming back once the cargo is full, which could be over and hour would not be classed as extreme, fair enough if they only do it a couple days a week but if your doing it 7 days a week then I would say its an extreme case of AFK activities.

I also did read the blob and I should have been a bit more specific.
Josef Djugashvilis
#47 - 2012-09-06 08:09:41 UTC
James 315 wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
CCP will most likely have to do something about ice mining macks.

And if they don't, the rest of us will. Smile


The rest of us?

Do not put your personal weird obsession with miners, onto the general Eve population.

This is not a signature.

Sabrina Solette
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-09-06 09:38:46 UTC
Nothing wrong with afk mining, although semi-afk is preferable and less risky.

Think it used to take me about 10 minutes to fill up a Hulk which did not use mining mods but had cargo expanders.

So the choices were:

1) to sit watching the screen blankly for 10 minutes at a time.

2) Mine semi-afk (at computer doing non game activities i.e. watch a film or read a book)

3) Go afk and just come back to check every now and then.



I used to opt for option 2 by reading a book whilst mining, because I'm just not brain dead enough to watch the screen blankly for 10 minutes at a time and I liked to be near so as to respond to changing circumstances.
Cyprus Black
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#49 - 2012-09-06 09:47:42 UTC
Gibbo3771 wrote:
So lets say you are NOT using a macro.

You hit your modules and go afk until the cycle is done.

Yet recently went emo in a dev blob about "afk missioning" with drones is not acceptable game play because you are not actually present at your computer

Whats the deal?
Because afk mission running takes planning and effort to achieve. Mining mechanics dictate that you turn on lasers and wait... and wait... and wait. It doesn't even really matter if they're at their keyboard or not because the gameplay is the same regardless and that's by CCPs design. Not the players.

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

Dennis Gregs
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2012-09-06 09:54:14 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
CCP will most likely have to do something about ice mining macks.

No they don't have to and they won't.

You guys don't seem to realize why plex farming is considered and exploit. The reason is that it needs no user input whatsoever.
Arec Bardwin
#51 - 2012-09-06 10:06:46 UTC
Gibbo3771 wrote:

So if someone was to mine while not at there screen while only coming back once the cargo is full, which could be over and hour would not be classed as extreme, fair enough if they only do it a couple days a week but if your doing it 7 days a week then I would say its an extreme case of AFK activities.
You want to force ice miners to stay at the screen and watch the cycle finish, or limit the amount of hours miners are allowed to mine per week? Roll

Disclaimer; I don't mine, never will, never has (well, I did mine a few miner frigate cargo holds back in the day, until I thought "**** this")
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#52 - 2012-09-06 11:07:14 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
CCP will most likely have to do something about ice mining macks.


They just did.
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#53 - 2012-09-06 11:44:24 UTC
Gibbo3771 wrote:
Sexy Cakes wrote:
If you read the post about that afk plexing it was an extreme circumstance and the guy was doing it 23/7 with one activation cycle a day.

We're not talking about a cycle or 2 on an ice miner here.

Don't be a drama queen.


So if I work 12 hour shifts in an office and I can have even running in the background, alt tabbing back every however minutes it is to reactive then alt tabbing away isent an extreme case of afk mining? I would say it is and believe it, people do that.


No it's not, because likely as not one of these days you will alt-tab back to suddenly find yourself in a station, or at least floating in a pod in the belt.
Sakura Kasenumi
Danish Vikings
#54 - 2012-09-06 11:49:00 UTC
Gibbo3771 wrote:
So lets say you are NOT using a macro.

You hit your modules and go afk until the cycle is done.

Yet recently went emo in a dev blob about "afk missioning" with drones is not acceptable game play because you are not actually present at your computer

Whats the deal?



I ice mine. My ship fills with ice in 48 minutes, what should I be doing in those 48 minutes? Pretending to direct my mining lasers and making a sort of long peeeeeeeewpeeeeeeeeeeeeeew and asteroid explosion noises?
People dont mine afk by their own design, afk mining is by game design.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#55 - 2012-09-06 12:21:13 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
James 315 wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
CCP will most likely have to do something about ice mining macks.

And if they don't, the rest of us will. Smile

The rest of us?

Do not put your personal weird obsession with miners, onto the general Eve population.

James 315 uses them as a means of production in his giev isk or bump VCbee scheme.

In a way, it acts like a tax on mining.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Agent Akari
Dragonfire Industries
#56 - 2012-09-06 13:28:51 UTC
make asteroids shoot back.
highonpop
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#57 - 2012-09-06 13:45:41 UTC  |  Edited by: highonpop
Gibbo3771 wrote:
So lets say you are NOT using a macro.

You hit your modules and go afk until the cycle is done.

Yet recently went emo in a dev blob about "afk missioning" with drones is not acceptable game play because you are not actually present at your computer

Whats the deal?



The "afk missioning" problem was not missions. It was DED sites that would perma-spawn. People would set sentry drones to aggressive so they would attack on their own, and just set reps on them and walk away for the entire day.


Even 100% AFK miners will have to come back and do some clicks at some point. The mining barges have a finite amount of ORE capacity and the asteroids have a finite amount of ORE in them. IF you set your miners and go AFK all day, your toon will only really be mining for an hour TOPS

FC, what do?

Jimmy Gunsmythe
Sebiestor Tribe
#58 - 2012-09-06 13:52:29 UTC
non judgement wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I never really understood why ISboxer was allowed yet macros and automation are not. But it's entirely up to CCP to decide.

That isn't of course to say we can't make consequences ourselves for users of such programs if we feel it's necessary. We just can't ban anybody. :P

Iirc, the reason they gave is that with ISBoxer, you still have to be there pressing the buttons. When you use macros, you don't have to be at the computer. They just want people to be in control and not an automated process.


Quite understood, but if the program clones commands, it's not quite the same as the person manually doing the commands himself. If using ISBoxer is the same as not using it, then no one should have a problem with CCP prohibiting the use of a program to emulate commands anyways.

John Hancock

Ensign X
#59 - 2012-09-06 14:18:25 UTC
Jimmy Gunsmythe wrote:
no one should have a problem with CCP prohibiting the use of a program to emulate commands anyways.


You mean, besides the people who use ISBoxer and also besides CCP who reaps the benefits of people who use ISBoxer? Yeah, who cares about them...
Jorma Morkkis
State War Academy
Caldari State
#60 - 2012-09-06 14:26:07 UTC
highonpop wrote:
Even 100% AFK miners will have to come back and do some clicks at some point. The mining barges have a finite amount of ORE capacity and the asteroids have a finite amount of ORE in them. IF you set your miners and go AFK all day, your toon will only really be mining for an hour TOPS


Hour: mining ice
A lot less time mining ore.

Even Mack's ore bay will fill in around 30 minutes. That's of course if you happen to find big enough roid.