These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Case for Removing Learning Implants

First post
Author
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#481 - 2012-09-08 05:29:12 UTC
What's the length of time you'd save on an Int-focussed skill between +4 and +5 implants, per year?
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#482 - 2012-09-08 05:36:06 UTC
No something like genolution implants should emerge for that purpose but having +5's as implant secondary effect or 3's but compensated with +2 across the board is just silly.

You made a choice you have clones...deal with it.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Flamespar
WarRavens
#483 - 2012-09-08 06:24:34 UTC
I think CCP should allow us to create implants from stuff we find by exploring derelict stations. Essentially putting production of implants into the hands of players (rather than hoping they drop from an NPC or grinding missions)
Frying Doom
#484 - 2012-09-08 06:35:48 UTC
A few days ago I was scouting lo-sec with an alt so I could run a freighter through. For this scouting I was just using a pod as I could not be bothered going to get a SB. After I finished scouting I was too lazy to change into a shuttle as I was concentrating on the freighter needless to say while the Alt was tooling back to base through high his pod got destroyed. Subsequently I got this mail.

Quote:
Pod Express Fan Mail Request

Here in New Eden we are happy to introduce the Pod Express Shuttle Service.

A new, free, and completely hassle way to travel!!

You have been found running around in your pod, a fragile little thing, and so we wished to speed up your travel time as a free and gratuitous service while you enjoy your stay in high security space.

While we were at it we also thought your clone to be a rather old, defunct and outdated version and so, due to our affiliation with cloning services throughout New Eden we have allowed you the great satisfation of a new and better clone.

Make sure to check out the gift shop on your way out. Have a nice day!

- Pod Express R Us

A link to our other satisfied customers

http://eve-kill.net/?a=corp_detail&crp_id=296028

Now has this person been whining about the loss of easy kills to do with barges and come to the forums creating a threadnaught filled with tears? NO

His has decided to make himself happy by killing peoples pods. He does not get isk from this actually he loses isk for his podding of people but he is having fun and collecting tears on the way.

Removing learning implants would just be a way of making Hi-sec even safer and making the risk averse happier as they would gain the benefits with 0 risk.

Oh and before anyone says something stupid of course I had no implants on my alt. I had made good use of my JC days before. So planning won again.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

MotherMoon
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#485 - 2012-09-08 07:22:29 UTC
Yokai Mitsuhide wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Herping yourDerp wrote:
not sure why removing +attribute implants would be a good thing in any way shape or form.

Then maybe reading the thread would be a good idea?

It already takes a very long time to train skills in this game...no attribute implants would add so much time on higher level ones that it would just not be enjoyable anymore. A set of +5's can knock months off your skill plan..

um... the idea is to either replace those 25 points with something else, or give ll players +5 to everything. as if everyone in game has a set of +5's for free.

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1206/scimi.jpg

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#486 - 2012-09-08 08:18:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Roime
Mara Rinn wrote:
What's the length of time you'd save on an Int-focussed skill between +4 and +5 implants, per year?

10-12 days

Training Cybernetics V (with the appropriate +4s plugged in) to be able to use +5s takes 10 days.

So total gain over a 24-month period from using +5s instead of +4s is about 10-12 days. AN ABSOLUTE MUST, and I will now stop having fun in the game, and stay docked up so I can enjoy this massive advantage.

(just FWIW, I'm at a point in the game where I could afford to lose +5s everyday, but wasting that ISK is about as useful as officer-fitting an Iteron III)

TheBreadMuncher
Protus Correction Facility Inc.
#487 - 2012-09-08 12:23:54 UTC
Ivy Romanova wrote:
well the thing is
CCP is trying to split the gamer population.. giving it a more defined definition.
High sec : Safe zone for the anti-social and timid nerds
Low sec : Low life that gets bullied in school and now is trying to make up for it, and incursion runners too.
Null sec : Safe zone for the anti-social and timid nerds

So... EVEN if people buys your argument, the very aim of it alone would make the chances of it actually being implemented VERY slim

FTFY

"We will create the introduction thread if that is requested by the community. Also, we will have an ISD Seminar about the CCL team in the coming weeks in which you can ask your questions about the CCL team and provide some constructive feedback to us." - Countless pages of locked threads and numerous permabanned accounts later, change is coming.

Cpt Gobla
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#488 - 2012-09-08 13:02:26 UTC
Not sure if straight-up removing them would be the solution, perhaps just changing +4 and +5 implants to +3 in addition to some other benefit (like the current pirate implants). Perhaps a different set for each of the factions.

I think the main problem is that learning implants promote an attitude of staying in high-sec for just one more day. And then one more etc. Because there's always this single extra skill that would be of great benefit, and staying safe to preserve your implants means a few days/hours less to train. But after that there's one more skill that would train just a little bit faster, and most pilots don't really have the money to replace +5s on a regular basis without focussing purely on isk/hr regardless of actual fun.

Implants reward avoiding risk. Whilst, from what I hear, the opposite is what is aimed for. Risky endeavours are what should be rewarded.
Andski
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#489 - 2012-09-08 13:02:43 UTC
so many people have such a huge attachment to arbitrary punishments for risk-taking

fygm: the thread

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Pipa Porto
#490 - 2012-09-08 14:18:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Pipa Porto
Roime wrote:
Mara Rinn wrote:

10-12 days

Training Cybernetics V (with the appropriate +4s plugged in) to be able to use +5s takes 10 days.

So total gain over a 24-month period from using +5s instead of +4s is about 10-12 days. AN ABSOLUTE MUST, and I will now stop having fun in the game, and stay docked up so I can enjoy this massive advantage.

(just FWIW, I'm at a point in the game where I could afford to lose +5s everyday, but wasting that ISK is about as useful as officer-fitting an Iteron III)

Training Learning V, training [Adv Learning Skill] V was "An Absolute Must" in the same way (and gave roughly the same benefit), and that pressure to waste time/effort on something that doesn't give in-game advantages is a big reason that CCP listed for removing them.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#491 - 2012-09-08 20:40:45 UTC
Here is a fun one, pods aren't effected by indirect warp jamming!
Now we have a little less reason to claim t3s are broken as well.
In fact lets nerf warp scrambling completely!
Warping is now a countdown and scrambling makes it take longer.
Presto your null has been rendered safer and best of all, you can now get away from the big scary blobs that roam null murdering and pillaging as they go.

Or you could, you know fold the learning effects into the primary character and use the slots for faction implant bonuses/ flat out reduce the time it takes to learn.
Ooh make it so you learn twice as fast in space if you are in your pod.
Now that is a risk reward/scenario.
Pipa Porto
#492 - 2012-09-08 20:43:02 UTC
NEONOVUS wrote:

Is that the let's all do the AFK approach-POS Huddle scenario?

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#493 - 2012-09-08 20:43:47 UTC
NEONOVUS wrote:
Here is a fun one, pods aren't effected by indirect warp jamming!
Now we have a little less reason to claim t3s are broken as well.
In fact lets nerf warp scrambling completely!
Warping is now a countdown and scrambling makes it take longer.
Presto your null has been rendered safer and best of all, you can now get away from the big scary blobs that roam null murdering and pillaging as they go.

Or you could, you know fold the learning effects into the primary character and use the slots for faction implant bonuses/ flat out reduce the time it takes to learn.

Roll

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Minmatar Citizen 76959458561
Doomheim
#494 - 2012-09-08 22:39:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Minmatar Citizen 76959458561
So o.o guys dnt like useing +5s coz of bubbles tough sh1t its were they choose to live to try remove somthing somthing becouse o.o players afraid of loseing is just stupid

i live losec cant use bubbles do us losec guys av a case for removing bubbles?

What about all the billions isk ppl have tied up in +5s traders and users alike

nobodys stoping null sec guys useing implants if they choose not to becouse risk thats up to them but please dnt cry about it like a ***
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#495 - 2012-09-08 22:43:20 UTC
Minmatar Citizen 76959458561 wrote:
So o.o guys dnt like useing +5s coz of bubbles tough **** its were they choose to live to try remove somthing somthing becouse o.o players afraid of loseing is just stupid

nobodys stoping null sec guys useing implants if they choose not to becouse risk thats up to them but please dnt cry about it like a ***

Try making a coherent post and maybe your points will be worth paying attention to.

Minmatar Citizen 76959458561
Doomheim
#496 - 2012-09-08 22:46:56 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
So o.o guys dnt like useing +5s coz of bubbles tough **** its were they choose to live to try remove somthing somthing becouse o.o players afraid of loseing is just stupid

Try making a coherent post and maybe your points will be worth paying attention to.

Try sucking my left nut like i give a fu#k wot some smart ar5e thinks my typeing lol
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#497 - 2012-09-09 00:52:18 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:
NEONOVUS wrote:

Is that the let's all do the AFK approach-POS Huddle scenario?

No because I expect the poses to be redone as ministations long before CCP even bothers to take the least possible measurable interest in my postings in this thread.
So dont worry I am merely humoring the op in a very special way.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#498 - 2012-09-09 01:19:50 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Try sucking my left nut like i give a fu#k wot some smart ar5e thinks my typeing lol

NPC corp: check
Incoherent english: check
Swear filter evasion: check

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Frying Doom
#499 - 2012-09-09 06:06:14 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

NPC corp: check
Incoherent english: check
Swear filter evasion: check

As has been mentioned on this forum thousands of times EvE is not safe..Anywhere it is all an illusions, as well shown by burn Jita.

So it comes back to risk Vs. reward. If you are not willing to risk learning implants, why should you get the reward of the SP?

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#500 - 2012-09-09 09:32:32 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
So it comes back to risk Vs. reward. If you are not willing to risk learning implants, why should you get the reward of the SP?

Because people who don't risk their implants still get the SP. That's exactly the point.