These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Case for Removing Learning Implants

First post
Author
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#181 - 2012-08-31 08:01:06 UTC
Why people install a full set of learning implants on their main clone is beyond me. After a few months you should have some sort of plan to where you can just use primary and secondary implants for your skill plan. So you are only risking upwards of 150m instead of 300+. Which is easily replaceable in 0.0 isk wise.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#182 - 2012-08-31 08:12:04 UTC
And fwiw,

if you use +5s in your first year, your total gain is 0 days in training time compared to using +4s.

It takes a long time to get any advantage from them, and it's at best neglible- my current 6-month plan would complete 5d 20hrs earlier if I used +5s instead of +4s. Price difference is enough to buy some nice hardwires, that will actually improve the game for you.

That said, two +5s only cost ~160mil, and that surely isn't a lot of ISK for any older player to replace on a regular basis, if you are obsessed about training times.

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#183 - 2012-08-31 08:19:39 UTC
Roime wrote:
That said, two +5s only cost ~160mil, and that surely isn't a lot of ISK for any older player to replace on a regular basis, if you are obsessed about training times.

So, in other words, you're saying ditching learning implants would affect old players less than new?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#184 - 2012-08-31 08:21:29 UTC
No, there's no need to ditch learning implants.

Pipa Porto
#185 - 2012-08-31 08:23:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Pipa Porto
Ensign X wrote:
Andski wrote:
again, you're wrong, and you're accusing me of a strawman when you're the one saying that I want all risk removed from the game

Show me where I said anything even remotely resembling this. You can't, because I didn't. My argument is that removing learning implants removes the risk of losing learning implants. It does, unequivocally. There's no debating that point. What is in debate is whether or not that risk should be removed from the game, and I'm doubting that you've provided a compelling argument for why they should.

Learning Skills were removed because they were skills that provided no in-game advantage, just a metagame advantage. They also discouraged new players from training fun skills because everyone told them to train learning skills.

Learning implants are implants that provide no in-game advantage, just a metagame advantage. They also discourage new players (and heck, plenty of older players*) from trying fun things because everyone tells them to go buy a set of +3s then avoid losing them.
Example

Learning Implants look a lot like Learning Skills and the rationale for removal is the same.

*Ughhh, my Jumpclone timer isn't up and I'm in my +4s, etc.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#186 - 2012-08-31 08:26:17 UTC
Roime wrote:

That wasn't my question.

RIP Vile Rat

Frying Doom
#187 - 2012-08-31 08:28:05 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:
Ensign X wrote:
Andski wrote:
again, you're wrong, and you're accusing me of a strawman when you're the one saying that I want all risk removed from the game

Show me where I said anything even remotely resembling this. You can't, because I didn't. My argument is that removing learning implants removes the risk of losing learning implants. It does, unequivocally. There's no debating that point. What is in debate is whether or not that risk should be removed from the game, and I'm doubting that you've provided a compelling argument for why they should.

Learning Skills were removed because they were skills that provided no in-game advantage, just a metagame advantage. They also discouraged new players from training fun skills because everyone told them to train learning skills.

Learning implants are implants that provide no in-game advantage, just a metagame advantage. They also discourage new players (and heck, plenty of older players*) from trying fun things because everyone tells them to go buy a set of +3s then avoid losing them.
Example

Learning Implants look a lot like Learning Skills and the rationale for removal is the same.

I am shocked that you seem to be towing the party line, as usual.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#188 - 2012-08-31 08:29:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Brooks Puuntai
Learning skills where redundant. You train skills to train other skills faster. Implants on the other hand give those an advantage if they are willing to risk the money for them. Big difference.

People need to stop with ideology that you NEED +5s(or implants in general) in at all times. Flying what you can afford to lose applies to implants as well, if you can't afford +5s then downgrade or don't use them.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#189 - 2012-08-31 08:35:42 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Roime wrote:

That wasn't my question.

Your question was invalid.

See Brooks Puntai's post for more clues:

Quote:
People need to stop with ideology that you NEED +5s(or implants in general) in at all times. Flying what you can afford to lose applies to implants as well, if you can't afford +5s then downgrade or don't use them.

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#190 - 2012-08-31 08:37:43 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:

Uggh, I'm in my officer fitted Golem and can't PVP -> remove marauders?

Your rationale is lacking all rationale.

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#191 - 2012-08-31 08:43:14 UTC
Roime wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
Roime wrote:

That wasn't my question.

Your question was invalid.

It was not an invalid question, and the reason why you want to label it as invalid is because it does impact the newbies more than the old players.

Roime wrote:
Uggh, I'm in my officer fitted Golem and can't PVP -> remove marauders?

Can you remove mods from your golem without losing them? Can you remove yourself from the golem without losing it? Yes?

Shocking how those two things work differently.

Roime wrote:

Pot, meet kettle.

RIP Vile Rat

Frying Doom
#192 - 2012-08-31 08:49:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Frying Doom
Lord Zim wrote:

Roime wrote:

Pot, meet kettle.

Zord Zim, umm you do know you just said your own argument is invalid right?

Pot calling the kettle black, your saying both your arguments have a "rationale" that "is lacking all rationale."

Lol

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#193 - 2012-08-31 08:57:11 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:

It was not an invalid question, and the reason why you want to label it as invalid is because it does impact the newbies more than the old players.

What does? My point was that learning implants don't actually affect anyone, hence no point removing them. If you are obsessed over a few days and worry losing them, it's your problem.

Quote:

Can you remove mods from your golem without losing them? Can you remove yourself from the golem without losing it? Yes?

You seem to miss the point - only thing preventing you from PVPing in either is purely your personal issue, nobody forces you to own a 20bil Golem or wear a full set of +5s, and if you can't afford to lose either, the problem is your wallet and not game mechanics.

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#194 - 2012-08-31 09:02:29 UTC
The way clone jumping works does need a revamp. Also Pipa is right when talking about tons of PvP not happeing because, "But I am in learning clone and I can't jump out for (insert whatever number of hours here) so I will have to pass on the action guys, good luck!"

That happens a lot. In no way am i implying that learning implants need to be removed completely from the game, but some other approach is in order.
Pipa Porto
#195 - 2012-08-31 09:03:41 UTC
Roime wrote:
Quote:

You seem to miss the point - only thing preventing you from PVPing in either is purely your personal issue, nobody forces you to own a 20bil Golem or wear a full set of +5s, and if you can't afford to lose either, the problem is your wallet and not game mechanics.

Learning implants, which provide no in game advantage to a pilot but cost money discourage participation in PvP when you might risk losing your pod (the same way clone costs discourage people from shipping down when they risk losing their pod).

Your Medical Clone is the same thing as a bunch of Implants. Upgrading your med clone costs ISK and gives you SP when you die. Plugging in implants cost ISK and give you SP until you die. Both discourage PvP.

-RubyPorto

Frying Doom
#196 - 2012-08-31 09:06:55 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:
Roime wrote:
Quote:

Learning implants, which provide no in game advantage to a pilot but cost money discourage participation in PvP when you might risk losing your pod (the same way clone costs discourage people from shipping down when they risk losing their pod).

Your Medical Clone is the same thing as a bunch of Implants. Upgrading your med clone costs ISK and gives you SP when you die. Plugging in implants cost ISK and give you SP until you die. Both discourage PvP.

So does the price of ships or the skills needed to fly them. Should we remove them too?

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#197 - 2012-08-31 09:09:18 UTC
Roime wrote:
What does? My point was that learning implants don't actually affect anyone, hence no point removing them. If you are obsessed over a few days and worry losing them, it's your problem.

Newbies will want to be able to start doing things early, so they'll have an incentive to use learning implants. Except, when they have them, they're suddenly in the position of their pod being worth multiple times of what their ship is, which means they'll PVP less to avoid losing the implants. Older players (like me, for example) will never, ever need implants ever again, in fact I'm currently hunting around for skills to take to l5 "just because", and I'm tempted to just stop training just so the clone cost won't escalate.

Roime wrote:

You seem to miss the point, a "20 bil golem" is something you can get out of easily and at any time, and you can easily downgrade into a 1m isk ship for some quick PVP. For your argument to hold water, you would have to be either completely unable to remove mods from your ship, or unable to get out of a ship whenever you want; this isn't so.

You can ***** and whine about how people should "fly what you can afford", but when the newbies have a choice between either "flying what [they] can afford" (i.e. in a lot of cases, no implants) and having to wait that much longer to be eligible for fleet type x, or stick that implant in their head and potentially miss out on fleets "because the jumpclone cooldown isn't over yet", then something could do with updating. Either removal of learning implants (and subsequent increase in base stats), or the ability to remove them.

RIP Vile Rat

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#198 - 2012-08-31 09:10:07 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
So does the price of ships or the skills needed to fly them. Should we remove them too?

Remove supercarriers and titans, yes.

RIP Vile Rat

Pipa Porto
#199 - 2012-08-31 09:10:53 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Pipa Porto wrote:
Roime wrote:
Quote:

Ships and the Skills that are needed to fly them provide in game advantages. Med Clones and Learning Implants do not. See how there's a difference?

-RubyPorto

Tiberius Sunstealer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#200 - 2012-08-31 09:11:13 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:
Upgrading your med clone costs ISK and gives you SP when you die.

I seem to have missed the patch where upgrading your clone was changed from saving SP when your capsule is destroyed to giving you SP.