These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Read before you Troll Different take on Arena Idea (Delete)

Author
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-08-30 02:20:49 UTC
Akara Ito wrote:
Why would I want to go into this glorified arena?

And that is what is so cool, if you don't want to, then don't.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

A Soporific
Perkone
Caldari State
#22 - 2012-08-30 02:29:49 UTC
I don't really know much about the specifics of the kinds of combat being suggested.

I just don't like the fact that it's irrelevant. I don't like the fact that it ignores industry, exploration, mining, hauling, or trading. One of the things that I think makes Eve great is that everything matters to everything else. I don't see how this connects.

If we are going to do something as big as create a new kind of environment, I would like it to matter. To add to the cohesive whole of Eve. I mean, Wormholes injected a sense of exploration that had been lost by the growing population in Eve, at the same time it added whole different kinds of play and resources for virtually all players. How would this idea do that? How would this enrich the gaming experience for players who don't engage in arenas?

I think that at it's base the idea was borrowed from games that need arenas. While I am not convinced that the idea is bad, I just want to see why Eve needs an arena more than "it'd be awesome".
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2012-08-30 02:53:32 UTC
A Soporific wrote:
I don't really know much about the specifics of the kinds of combat being suggested.

I just don't like the fact that it's irrelevant. I don't like the fact that it ignores industry, exploration, mining, hauling, or trading. One of the things that I think makes Eve great is that everything matters to everything else. I don't see how this connects.

If we are going to do something as big as create a new kind of environment, I would like it to matter. To add to the cohesive whole of Eve. I mean, Wormholes injected a sense of exploration that had been lost by the growing population in Eve, at the same time it added whole different kinds of play and resources for virtually all players. How would this idea do that? How would this enrich the gaming experience for players who don't engage in arenas?

I think that at it's base the idea was borrowed from games that need arenas. While I am not convinced that the idea is bad, I just want to see why Eve needs an arena more than "it'd be awesome".

I had no idea that ships being destroyed had no effect of the economy of eve...
back to reality, there are plenty of people that go on roams for the purpose of destroying ships, no looting, no nothing

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2012-08-30 02:58:10 UTC
mxzf wrote:
So ... 20 minutes after this went live an alliance would have a 50 man fleet inside said system owning anyone and everyone who showed up.

How does this promote small gang/solo PvP again?

PvP arenas in general are just a bad idea. This one is less bad than many others, but it's still a bad idea.

ok then to promote small gang pvp, only squads are allowed in, the squad leader activates the gate and the squad goes through, once in side (the system would be much smaller) there would be a 30 second delay before auto pilote warped them tto the staging area. The winner of the battle fights the next squad that jumps in.

A Soporific
Perkone
Caldari State
#25 - 2012-08-30 03:13:40 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
A Soporific wrote:

I had no idea that ships being destroyed had no effect of the economy of eve...
back to reality, there are plenty of people that go on roams for the purpose of destroying ships, no looting, no nothing

It's not that it doesn't have an effect. But entry is destruction, is it not? The cost of defeat and reward for victory are one and the same.

While many people go out just to destroy ships, the ships they destroy haven't already been written off. Many of them aren't combat ships, but haulers, explorers, or miners. Even if they don't intend to loot, they do have a powerful effect on the loot of others.

This will create a separate system unto itself. That runs counter to what I believe is a major design philosophy. If arenas exist, I do believe that victory will have to matter, and the mechanism itself must at least add something in the way of play style or resource to the rest of Eve if not be fully integrated throughout.

Remember, Arenas exist in many games to segregate PVP from the rest of the game where PVP is not allowed. That's not a benefit to Eve. That's something that threatens what makes Eve special.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2012-08-30 03:21:29 UTC
The ones that i know and have fought along side destroy any ships that come into there roam, most of which are combat ships doing the same, after all ships are destroyed from the opposing side the wrecks are destroyed also with the loot in them. Thus removing many modules from the game.
But i suppose your fiinal statement is correct, and well worded. I will let this thread die now.

Gevlin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2012-08-30 03:25:17 UTC
I am suffering from ADD right now so I have not read the who string

I like the X go in and only Y comes out idea.

Just find a way to arrange the original assests to be deicated to the battles so one side can not bring in extras.
then they can jump off to this secrite locations only reachable via worm hole. Then have the odd random worm hole reach the area to spice things up

But have a set arena with lots of cameras broadcasting and Defencss vs un invited guests.

Someday I will have the time to play. For now it is mining afk in High sec. In Cheap ships

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2012-08-30 03:32:48 UTC
Gevlin wrote:
I am suffering from ADD right now so I have not read the who string

I like the X go in and only Y comes out idea.

Just find a way to arrange the original assests to be deicated to the battles so one side can not bring in extras.
then they can jump off to this secrite locations only reachable via worm hole. Then have the odd random worm hole reach the area to spice things up

But have a set arena with lots of cameras broadcasting and Defencss vs un invited guests.

Only thing about this idea is Y cannot leave, Z comes in to fight Y.

Katie Frost
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2012-08-30 04:34:37 UTC
Is open pvp not deterred due to blobs, and closed pvp would be bad due to blobs, then it seems that all pvp in eve is blob or die.

Not to troll... but welcome to EvE. Not the best state of affairs or one that I endorse - but there are sensible ways to address this issue; instanced arenas are not it.

Also I never indicated that I thought this system was flawless, but rather than say that won't work could you not offer an idea to make it plausible?

I don't think you quite understand. Your proposal, as a concept in itself (i.e. arena combat), will in all likelihood deter open-world PvP (which is what EvE PvP is all about) not promote it. Therefore there is nothing I can add or subtract to make your idea plausible. I completely disagree with the premise behind it.
Nestara Aldent
Citimatics
#30 - 2012-08-30 05:46:04 UTC
Katie Frost wrote:
Is open pvp not deterred due to blobs, and closed pvp would be bad due to blobs, then it seems that all pvp in eve is blob or die.

Not to troll... but welcome to EvE. Not the best state of affairs or one that I endorse - but there are sensible ways to address this issue; instanced arenas are not it.

Also I never indicated that I thought this system was flawless, but rather than say that won't work could you not offer an idea to make it plausible?

I don't think you quite understand. Your proposal, as a concept in itself (i.e. arena combat), will in all likelihood deter open-world PvP (which is what EvE PvP is all about) not promote it. Therefore there is nothing I can add or subtract to make your idea plausible. I completely disagree with the premise behind it.

Actually I could argue that 'arenas' or 'battlegrounds' exist in EVE right now, and that theyre called... wormholes.
Previous page12