These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Singularity open for initial interaction between EVE and Dust

First post
Author
Nomistrav
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#61 - 2012-08-27 20:58:52 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
I'm confused but if you say there's some stuff outside squad comms it's all OK :D


Essentially in battle comms are voice (because not many people are insane enough to try to use a PS3 controller to try and type out an array of non-sense while being shot at).

Outside of battle the channels operate very similarly to Eve Online chat channels, can be in multiple at once and the like. The Transmitter allows you to be able to voice chat to that entire channel, rather than your Squad/Team, such as Local/Corporation or your player generated channels.

Which, honestly, I find rather redundant and pointless as it's not in-combat comms where it's needed most. So it's an entirely optional feature for people who would rather speak with their corporation via headset since they don't have access to Teamspeak/Mumble etc.

It's just an option. It's not necessary and doesn't change gameplay.

"As long as space endures,

as long as sentient beings exist,

until then, may I too remain

and dispel the miseries of the world."

~ Vremaja Idama

Gaia Ma'chello
Photosynth
#62 - 2012-08-27 21:03:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Gaia Ma'chello
Nomistrav wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
So you can't use AUR to purchase ingame advantages, you use AUR to purchase basic functionality?

Voice comms is pretty much a necessity in team gameplay :(

e: It's early days yet though. Nothing up is truly indicative of what makes it into the game


Breaking NDA talking about it probably but I would like to make absolutely certain that you all don't feed into the damn propaganda by saying that it isn't a -necessary- feature, it's just so you can voice chat in general/corporate channels - not squad/teams in combat.

How about coordinating in-space activities during a combat session? Do you get free voice comms to the Eve players in that situation? Or will the people who pay money to CCP get the advantage of saying "wait for it...wait... wait... NOW!"

Edit: If the fleet channel voice is always free, and both eve pilots and dusters are in it, then I see no issue.
Udonor
Doomheim
#63 - 2012-08-27 21:05:20 UTC
Michael Kristiansen wrote:
Wouldnt it be more fesible for integration test to create one additional channel where all would be logged on by default ?




Of course that crutch would defeat the purpose of locating obstacles to DUST-EVE communication if left up very long.

Unless it was treated like a help channel where use of channel would be flagged as comm trouble and moderators had a 30 minute kick command for people simply too lazy to use regular interaction methods.

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#64 - 2012-08-27 21:07:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Benny Ohu
X up for LASERS FROM SPACE

e: I think it was confirmed DUST has keyboard/mouse?
Udonor
Doomheim
#65 - 2012-08-27 21:13:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Udonor
Gaia Ma'chello wrote:
Lets see:
If I target a belt rat, wreck, or ship the targeted item icon shows as an exclamation point. CCP said they could reproduce (Mac only bug).
No Customs offices.
Many dust items on the market have no description, and some cannot be dragged to the chat window (remote explosives are an example of both of these bugs).
The mining barges are the old barges, without the ore hold.

Interaction issues: It sure would be nice to be able to tell at a glance who is a duster and who is an egger. Maybe their color tags in chat should have rounded corners?
I flew to a station where the dusters are when they are not in a combat. I wanted to walk over to their assembly area and shake their hands, welcoming them to this wonderful universe. But the door would not open.



Cool - so DUST assembly area may bring multi-player station walking code to EVE pre-tested. Or at least I assume DUST and EVE are using compatible CARBON body and room models.

If so CCP is being brilliant in putting the testing of radical non-ship flying code into testing outside EVE as part of DUST.

Pilot purists might not use the features. But EVE pilots as a whole won't mind new features if the code testing process does not huge messing with ongoing play for lengthy periods...as unfortunately CQ efforts did.
Gaia Ma'chello
Photosynth
#66 - 2012-08-27 21:18:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Gaia Ma'chello
Udonor wrote:
Gaia Ma'chello wrote:
.........
I flew to a station where the dusters are when they are not in a combat. I wanted to walk over to their assembly area and shake their hands, welcoming them to this wonderful universe. But the door would not open.



Cool - so DUST assembly area may bring multi-player station walking code to EVE pre-tested. Or at least I assume DUST and EVE are using compatible CARBON body and room models.

If so CCP is being brilliant in putting the testing of radical non-ship flying code into testing outside EVE as part of DUST.

Pilot purists might not use the features. But EVE pilots as a whole won't mind new features if the code testing process does not huge messing with ongoing play for lengthy periods...as unfortunately CQ efforts did.

Not so cool. There is no evidence that any common areas for both Dust and Eve Avatars are part of the game, or even planned to be part of the game. It would just be cool if they were, so I tested for it, just in case.
Udonor
Doomheim
#67 - 2012-08-27 21:20:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Udonor
Gaia Ma'chello wrote:
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
Gaia Ma'chello wrote:
Lets see:
If I target a belt rat, wreck, or ship the targeted item icon shows as an exclamation point. CCP said they could reproduce (Mac only bug).
No Customs offices.
Many dust items on the market have no description, and some cannot be dragged to the chat window (remote explosives are an example of both of these bugs).
The mining barges are the old barges, without the ore hold.

Interaction issue: It sure would be nice to be able to tell at a glance who is a duster and who is an egger. Maybe their color tags in chat should have rounded corners?


The EVE build is a little bit older than what is on TQ right now so its missing some mining changes.

A more detailed list of the broken items would be appreciated, as you spot them.

Player items are removed as per the usual SiSi pruning process and this includes customs offices.

The next release will have a unique appearance for dust mercenaries so you'll be able to tell the bunnies from the eggs P

Thanks for the comments.


All the customs offices in High sec are gone. None of those are player items.

Broken items:
Equipment: Remote explosives: Standard: (All entries)..........cannot be dragged into chat from the market, and do not have any info in "show info".
Augmentations: Universal voice transmitters: (All entries)..........do not have any info in "show info".



Test server ALWAYS removes POS, custom offices, sovereignty structures and any other player owned "customization of space environment" details that could go undefended against spies using the test server to gain advantage on real server. MOre importantly, this measure prevents testing or rehearsing attack fleets against a given player owned feature with no risk/cost to TQ accounts.

The DUST release is not unique in that respect.


I agree that the intelligence gathering part of the explanation is a bit pointless as a reason for doing these things, since stealth spies on real server can sit there and count guns and types around your POS etc just as easily and with little more risk. But the test attacks part is quite relevant.

To be honest part of the real story is that removal of these features reduces test server load especially at restart, simplifies test databases and reduces the rate at which bugs with those features hit Dev laps. And this is still a good thing as overwhelmed servers and Devs don't perform as well and servers can be cheaper constructions. Cheaper is good since test budgets are often limited (influenced) by financial backers. So cheaper servers means more testing can be done before players test the code on TQ.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#68 - 2012-08-27 21:22:11 UTC
Gaia Ma'chello wrote:

Not so cool. There is no evidence that any common areas for both Dust and Eve Avatars are part of the game, or even planned to be part of the game. It would just be cool if they were.

Then again, CCP's reaction to the question of "could X interaction happen?" has been "do you want it to happen?"
Gaia Ma'chello
Photosynth
#69 - 2012-08-27 21:25:52 UTC
Udonor wrote:

Test server ALWAYS removes POS, custom offices, sovereignty structures and any other player owned "customization of space environment" details that could go undefended against spies using the test server to gain advantage on real server.

The DUST release is not unique in that respect.

Yes, but the COs in high sec cannot be player owned items, nor can a player put up their own in High sec. So by leaving the high sec ones in place, no free intel is given to anyone.
Gogela
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#70 - 2012-08-27 21:29:57 UTC
Wow. The industrialists are going to love this... look at all the new stuff on the market Shocked

I wonder what the little multi-color jars of stuff are... combat boosters of some kind? Big smile

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Udonor
Doomheim
#71 - 2012-08-27 21:41:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Udonor
Gaia Ma'chello wrote:
Udonor wrote:

Test server ALWAYS removes POS, custom offices, sovereignty structures and any other player owned "customization of space environment" details that could go undefended against spies using the test server to gain advantage on real server.

The DUST release is not unique in that respect.

Yes, but the COs in high sec cannot be player owned items, nor can a player put up their own in High sec. So by leaving the high sec ones in place, no free intel is given to anyone.


Ah I missed the hi sec part...always thought in theory a determined enough group could replace hi sec office. But it would be mighty expensive given CONCORD response. Hmmm I missed the part about not being able to put one up -- always thought the sticky wicket was taking the old CONCORD owned one down in the face of CONCORD response.


Maybe the devs missed the HI sec Customs Offices part too.


You are absolutely correct that Custom Offices are a VERY relevant place for the first DUST-EVE meaningful interactions.

How that works will be key to EVE players. If mercs are not turning PI facility over to EVE player ownership and management...will PI output still come to custom office for private sales and trade (planetary nationalized or merc owned and managed)? While mercs occupy PI "owned by" EVE player can they embargo goods or disrupt production to force contract payment?

Did the DUSTies allow my PI to come up or not? Do I want to orbital bombard the DUSTies for seizing my PI facility and embargoing me or not? Are the DUSTies (or the NPC political folk they back) imposing their own PI tax or production costs?

Then again I assuming that successful seizure of PI facility has either fixed new EVE customer or negotiable open market PI. PI facility ownership in DUST terms being either to EVE employer, planetary political agent or retained by merc corp (thought something was said about that for DUST merc creating their own equipment factories but maybe that is separate DUST location and objective). Either way I sort of assumed that merc or political owner might either have fixed customer outlet or potentially negotiable open market PI.


(I assume part of the reason for DUST wars are still PI seizure, taxation and shipment diversion as in the original advertisement.)
Iokasti palaiologou
DAMSEL In Duress
#72 - 2012-08-27 21:47:42 UTC
In 2006 i thought i am starting just a game. Now thanks to you i am participating in the making of history.

Please feel free to follow our news regarding the Summerfest at http://www.facebook.com/EveDustSummerfest
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#73 - 2012-08-27 21:49:20 UTC
The initial release of DUST is going to be faction warfare, not PI or sov

Gogela wrote:
I wonder what the little multi-color jars of stuff are... combat boosters of some kind? Big smile

Read the label. "I is inventing a car that runs on toothpaste"
Metal Icarus
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#74 - 2012-08-27 21:53:42 UTC
Integrate TS3 client into dust? If done, would be best game ever!

Ever.

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#75 - 2012-08-27 22:03:11 UTC
Metal Icarus wrote:
Integrate TS3 client into dust? If done, would be best game ever!

Ever.


The TS3 SDK doesn't support PS3, while the Vivox SDK does.

Vivox was actually already integrated in the Unreal Engine so it made sense to use the same for EvE.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#76 - 2012-08-27 22:07:15 UTC
Metal Icarus wrote:
Integrate TS3 client into dust? If done, would be best game ever!

Ever.



it is almost there!!!!
Udonor
Doomheim
#77 - 2012-08-27 22:12:32 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
The initial release of DUST is going to be faction warfare, not PI or sov

Gogela wrote:
I wonder what the little multi-color jars of stuff are... combat boosters of some kind? Big smile

Read the label. "I is inventing a car that runs on toothpaste"



Oh faction war only. Well I can see that simplifies things for development and interaction. I had thought that starting on main server in factional areas was just story line explanation for unstable politics allowing DUST fighting potential -- not the total end game.

Heh, so interaction is very impersonal in post-battle effects -- just team points summing DUST and EVE faction points. End results just area wide production bonus and such? Guess that still effects PI indirectly -- just no loss of personal asset control.

Any idea if original plan for specific PI seizure or destruction etc is still part of longer plan?
Udonor
Doomheim
#78 - 2012-08-27 22:20:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Udonor
Udonor wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
The initial release of DUST is going to be faction warfare, not PI or sov

Gogela wrote:
I wonder what the little multi-color jars of stuff are... combat boosters of some kind? Big smile

Read the label. "I is inventing a car that runs on toothpaste"



Oh faction war only. Well I can see that simplifies things for development and interaction. I had thought that starting on main server in factional areas was just story line explanation for unstable politics allowing DUST fighting potential -- not the total end game.

Heh, so interaction is very impersonal in post-battle effects -- just team points summing DUST and EVE faction points. End results just area wide production bonus and such? Guess that still effects PI indirectly -- just no loss of personal asset control.

Any idea if original plan for specific PI seizure or destruction etc is still part of longer plan?



Heh that sort limits urgency for EVE interactions with DUSTies. Outside of the joy of orbital bombardment -- EVE pilots might as well just continue whatever factional space battles they have going for an outcome with more direct and personal feedback. Does not sound like there is much personal or even factional advantage to interacting with DUST and darn little feedback or immediate consequence.

ROFLMAO -- But if they got good fixed video clip and DUST combat channel available to hear curses -- orbital bombardment might be enough reason!!!! Pretty simple interaction mechanics.

That and swapping a few new items on market should not take long. :)
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#79 - 2012-08-27 22:20:39 UTC
Ive heard rumors that, eventually when implemented, if you place your PI command center in a district controlled by dust mercs friendly to you, you get a production boost. But nothing about seizing assets, or destroying assets, or interaction with the customs office. The dust planetary command center is a different item than the one for PI and different from the customs office.

I noted no blue prints for any dust items. Anyone know how they get produced?

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#80 - 2012-08-27 22:22:07 UTC
Udonor wrote:
Any idea if original plan for specific PI seizure or destruction etc is still part of longer plan?
There's information in the CSM minutes, in the EVE/DUST link section