These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

New dev blog: You just won a brand new flat screen TV: Ready for pickup in your local CQ!

First post
Author
Dirk Decibel
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#81 - 2011-09-26 18:14:20 UTC
Delta Jax wrote:
/yawn
or an easy converter/filter so we don't have to automatically convert everything to bik.

just .02 isk

Or skip converting completely perhaps? Make the thing into a modern media center in your own quarters.
RavenNyx
Tax 'n Death
#82 - 2011-09-26 18:19:33 UTC
Way to waste valueable man-hours... Now, you could have done something useful (as many have mentioned) as the station undock, or Jita-cam, or a feed from of your live-teams in action, but no... You do a half-arsed "do it yourself" thing, where you could have used the man-hours on spaceships instead. You know, make stuff work. You could have used the hours on FW, on the industrial-expansion, I don't know, maybe even sov-mechanics. You could have fixed CCP Soundwaves 0.0 nerf, so it actually was reasonable. You could have focused on balancing stuff, so the risk vs. reward you always talk about, actually came to mean something. You could have fixed PI, so that it came to be what you promised.

But no - you did a television, for the CQ, instead of the stuff that the veterans wants; you know, "the rabble". You could have made the game better for your loyal fanbase, but instead you made me a freekin' TV, somewhere in the game that I do not, and will never (unless forced) use... Talk about waste of resources...

No, this is not good news to me, at all. This is another 'shiny', where there should have been balancing of misc. stuff throughout New Eden, and therefore a bad thing - now the balancing will take 3-6 months longer... Way to go CCP... You wanna' tell me how much you're listening to me again? Oh, and call me "rabble" again :) Please, I feel like such a valueable customer when you do...

tl;dr
I'm sure the TV is wonderful and a beauty to watch. I don't use CQ, never will - don't know anybody who does. You should have fixed stuff first, and made new semi-broken shiny stuff second.
Florestan Bronstein
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#83 - 2011-09-26 18:30:03 UTC
[bittervet]
Quote:
, most companies would have branded this as a defect and “fixed it” by doing checksum validations on the files or something equally boring. But not us.

so you are trying to tell us that this is not a bug, it's a feature?

:ccp:
[/bittervet]

just kidding...

nice to see that you value the sandbox-y aspect of this hack over enforcing the EULA verbatim Big smile
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#84 - 2011-09-26 18:33:25 UTC
A more realistic screenshot would have been pinkie pie bouncing around on that screen...

But I totally approve nonetheless !!! P
Korerin Mayul
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#85 - 2011-09-26 18:40:54 UTC
This.

This is why i pay you people Monthly, in real monies, for a fancy IRC client.

If i ever make it to Iceland i will buy the Devs and Managers responsible for forswearing the 'ban-hammer' in lew of the 'oops,-look-at-that-its-a-feature-now-hammer' the most expensive beer which can be located in Reykjavik,

Now, if you will excuse me, i need to go and turn my CQ into a Dark Si-Fi Shrine to My Little Pony.
Ezurae
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#86 - 2011-09-26 18:42:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Ezurae
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Video works fine, sound can be temperamental I have problems with the sound coming in hi-speed bursts, as far as I can tell with some quick google-fu it may well be a problem with the binkw32.dll file, unfortunately you can't replace it as it's checksummed by the client on start :(. My binked video sound works fine in the bink player but not in eve which is a bummer :(



got the same problem. the video is slightly faster too if you run the video in a player and eve at the same time but the sound hi-speed bursts are the real problem
BeanBagKing
The Order of Atlas
#87 - 2011-09-26 18:53:09 UTC
I'm glad CCP took this direction on the video files, rather than try to lock them down with checksums and all. \o/ Big smile
Dirk Decibel
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#88 - 2011-09-26 18:59:20 UTC
BeanBagKing wrote:
I'm glad CCP took this direction on the video files, rather than try to lock them down with checksums and all. \o/ Big smile

[bittervet]

They were going to do that at first, but then discovered it would cripple performance even more so they decided to go this route...

[/bittervet]

That was a joke, a bad one, but a joke nonetheless.
ORCACommander
Obsidian Firelance Technologies
#89 - 2011-09-26 19:10:47 UTC
RavenNyx wrote:
Way to waste valueable man-hours... Now, you could have done something useful (as many have mentioned) as the station undock, or Jita-cam, or a feed from of your live-teams in action, but no... You do a half-arsed "do it yourself" thing, where you could have used the man-hours on spaceships instead. You know, make stuff work. You could have used the hours on FW, on the industrial-expansion, I don't know, maybe even sov-mechanics. You could have fixed CCP Soundwaves 0.0 nerf, so it actually was reasonable. You could have focused on balancing stuff, so the risk vs. reward you always talk about, actually came to mean something. You could have fixed PI, so that it came to be what you promised.

But no - you did a television, for the CQ, instead of the stuff that the veterans wants; you know, "the rabble". You could have made the game better for your loyal fanbase, but instead you made me a freekin' TV, somewhere in the game that I do not, and will never (unless forced) use... Talk about waste of resources...

No, this is not good news to me, at all. This is another 'shiny', where there should have been balancing of misc. stuff throughout New Eden, and therefore a bad thing - now the balancing will take 3-6 months longer... Way to go CCP... You wanna' tell me how much you're listening to me again? Oh, and call me "rabble" again :) Please, I feel like such a valueable customer when you do...

tl;dr
I'm sure the TV is wonderful and a beauty to watch. I don't use CQ, never will - don't know anybody who does. You should have fixed stuff first, and made new semi-broken shiny stuff second.


you wanna know about how many man hours this probably took the DEVS? I will say 3 for discussing with the legal department and ccp security team. another hour to write up this dev blog. so in total probably only 4 hours the devs were not involved in your priorities. 4 hours is not much. they took something that they could have filed off in the exploit category and wielded the mighty ban hammer but instead they decided to give us something to **** around with in the client. And if they did decide to close this it would require MORE man hours from the devs to code in measures to disable this kind of modding. As for the legal departments and security department's man hours involved its precisely their job to look into crap like this and the legal department could use something to do anyway. You should not forget that CCP does not make this game FOR YOU. Sure as a customer its your right to leave FEEDBACK not an embittered rant that does little to address the issues you bring up in your rant. Hell with ccp's development schedule i am surprised they make any progress towards the qued up back log of balances bugs and minor exploits. I would love it if they just took 6 months to do a bug fix and rebalance overhaul. but it comes down to which do you want: more FiS/WiS or a complete run through of the current backlog of bugs and exploits? if you want both at once you are stuck with the system we have now and you have to accept what they address at the moment.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#90 - 2011-09-26 19:14:14 UTC
Ezurae wrote:

got the same problem. the video is slightly faster too if you run the video in a player and eve at the same time but the sound hi-speed bursts are the real problem



done a bit of poking around and put some premade bink video files from other games in the folder, exactly the same problem as with my converted ones. The premade files work fine in the games I "borrowed" them from as do my converted ones so I would hazard a guess that it's probably a problem with the binkw32 version in use by eve and specific hardware.

running an amd 880+sb710 based motherboard, amd quad black edition, amd gfx card with realtek onboard sound... no nvidia stuff which may well be the problem

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Vanessa Vansen
Vandeo
#91 - 2011-09-26 19:21:06 UTC
Congrats to CCP for selling a bug or flaw as a feature.
Well, reading the post below, a feature with a flaw,

From my point of view a waste of resources.

I assume most of the players are interested in flying in space not in "Space Station Second Life".
Hopefully, you'll turn your attention to the first again, the second life part is not important, just a nice diversion for 1% of the time online.
profundus fossura
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#92 - 2011-09-26 19:27:16 UTC  |  Edited by: profundus fossura
Much appreciated for not bringing out the ban hammer, would be great if it could read other formats and any possibility of linking it in with the existing jukebox controls - maybe so you can have music playing and then have the video show in CQ when you dock.

would also love to see alliance tournament coverage, results etc on CQ screen.
Ezurae
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#93 - 2011-09-26 19:38:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Ezurae
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Ezurae wrote:

got the same problem. the video is slightly faster too if you run the video in a player and eve at the same time but the sound hi-speed bursts are the real problem



done a bit of poking around and put some premade bink video files from other games in the folder, exactly the same problem as with my converted ones. The premade files work fine in the games I "borrowed" them from as do my converted ones so I would hazard a guess that it's probably a problem with the binkw32 version in use by eve and specific hardware.

running an amd 880+sb710 based motherboard, amd quad black edition, amd gfx card with realtek onboard sound... no nvidia stuff which may well be the problem


i7 920, win7 64bit, nvidia gtx 285, and creative titanium pro soundcard. so i guess pretty much everything is different, but we still got the same prob ^^
running eve in fixed window 1920x1080 and pretty much all graphics to max and all graphic enhancing options enabled.
had the problem with every .bik video i tried :(

i think even the eve *.biks are running a little bit faster ingame than in the dedicated bik player. unfortunately there is no sound in any of the biks of eve to be 100% sure their playback is flawed too..

edit: even with the lowest possible graphic settings the problem still remains, so theres no connection to the ingame settings...
Karim alRashid
Starboard.
#94 - 2011-09-26 19:51:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Karim alRashid
Is this one of the "moments that define history" ? X-rated movies in the Captain Quarters?

CCP, I am disappoint.

Pain is weakness leaving the body http://www.youtube.com/user/AlRashidKarim/videos

Lord Helghast
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#95 - 2011-09-26 20:02:09 UTC
While This is a good showing, and i like that CCP has given the OK to do this what would have been nicer would have been a "hey guys we also added a nifty little "load Bik" selector where you can create playlists for movies, and at the same time we redid the jukebox with some epic music...

While i'm glad to see gleamering hope of the old ccp, i'm still sad that we still havent seen a update for the

...WATCH THIS SPACE...

that was posted in earlier blogs, so we dont have any word on when the new effects are coming, new nebulas, any interation, nullsec fixes, balancing changes... nothing

hell the last i haerd was a dram nerf in the works but even that i havent heard anything more about really...

come on ccp rapid fire devblogs ftw!
LeSabre
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#96 - 2011-09-26 20:47:17 UTC
Nevermind what some haters say.

This rocks. Can we have some controlls and perhaps one or two channels ?

Oh and you COULD integrate the old juke box in this one...
Ezurae
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#97 - 2011-09-26 20:47:40 UTC
Ezurae wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Ezurae wrote:

got the same problem. the video is slightly faster too if you run the video in a player and eve at the same time but the sound hi-speed bursts are the real problem



done a bit of poking around and put some premade bink video files from other games in the folder, exactly the same problem as with my converted ones. The premade files work fine in the games I "borrowed" them from as do my converted ones so I would hazard a guess that it's probably a problem with the binkw32 version in use by eve and specific hardware.

running an amd 880+sb710 based motherboard, amd quad black edition, amd gfx card with realtek onboard sound... no nvidia stuff which may well be the problem


i7 920, win7 64bit, nvidia gtx 285, and creative titanium pro soundcard. so i guess pretty much everything is different, but we still got the same prob ^^
running eve in fixed window 1920x1080 and pretty much all graphics to max and all graphic enhancing options enabled.
had the problem with every .bik video i tried :(

i think even the eve *.biks are running a little bit faster ingame than in the dedicated bik player. unfortunately there is no sound in any of the biks of eve to be 100% sure their playback is flawed too..

edit: even with the lowest possible graphic settings the problem still remains, so theres no connection to the ingame settings...


i seem to have fixed it by first converting the avi to bik without audio and then using Mix in Sound afterwards. At least for HTFU it worked but i still have to try it for the other files. HTFU plays fine now just 2 or 3 times there was a slight increase in audio speed for about half a second, dont know why though.
Jowen Datloran
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#98 - 2011-09-26 21:02:42 UTC
I can see the moaning toads are out in numbers so I feel obliged to double my praise of this feature you are providing.

I know it is not a FiS feature but it is darn innovative and opens up for a whole new meta profession in EVE. I see a lot of ISK changing hands to those capable of making good EVE related short movies. And it opens for creativity where the creativity is best located; at the players. That is what this sandbox is all about.

I hope to see some creative people grabbing this opportunity soon.

Mr. Science & Trade Institute, EVE Online Lorebook 

RiotGrrrrrl
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#99 - 2011-09-26 21:15:12 UTC
Awesome! I can extended my sci-fi Motel 6 experience by watching a bad porno.


You know what would be cool? A game about spaceships and space combat. Anyone know where I can find a good one?
SXYGeeK
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#100 - 2011-09-26 21:27:45 UTC
and the TTP of eve just got shortened... significantly..