These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

New T2 ship idea: black ops logistic destroyer

Author
C DeLeon
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2012-08-18 11:18:56 UTC
Godfrey Silvarna wrote:
Not sure what to think. I could totally abuse the **** out of a light cloaky logi, which is good... but the fact I could abuse the **** out of it is a bit of a balance concern.

They would make figate/destroyer sized brawls more tactical but they would be vulnerable against large ships/fleets. On range they are vulnerable to the long range turrets and on short range they are vulnerable to smartbombs and drones.

Destroyers are throw-away ships anyway. This could be the same but with support role instead of dps and tackle.
Selaya Ataru
Phalanx Solutions
#22 - 2012-08-20 18:54:57 UTC
This would be absolutely horrible for power projection imo.

The only thing you can count on when facing BO gangs is the fact that they cant bring logistics, or at least not proper ones with range bonus.
T3 already give some logistics capacity to this type of fleet and its only fair that it comes at a price.
A cheap, quickly trained logistic ship that could be bridged by BOs would somewhat ruin the balance.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#23 - 2012-08-20 19:53:28 UTC
Selaya Ataru wrote:
This would be absolutely horrible for power projection imo.

The only thing you can count on when facing BO gangs is the fact that they cant bring logistics, or at least not proper ones with range bonus.
T3 already give some logistics capacity to this type of fleet and its only fair that it comes at a price.
A cheap, quickly trained logistic ship that could be bridged by BOs would somewhat ruin the balance.

I must disagree with this.

In my opinion, the player factions in game whose power projection is most likely to cause issues already have titans in place.
That means they get to send the full logi boats, not the scaled down mini ones like are suggested here.

If anything, this gives the smaller groups the means to counter brute force with possibly effective sneakiness, and guerrilla tactics.

I believe people will play to their strength. The large alliances with titans will not find this as useful, while the smaller groups with few if any titans could suddenly find new tactics become available.

TL / DR: Minor force projection means little to those already using major force projection.
Dantrial Hadigan
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#24 - 2012-10-12 19:52:11 UTC
+1 to this. I like how this looks.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#25 - 2012-10-12 20:14:43 UTC
Dantrial Hadigan wrote:
+1 to this. I like how this looks.

Agreed.

Forget balance issues, we now know that devs are bringing in logi frigs for the winter bit.

If they want this, they know the real way to balance it.

They just need to believe it will be fun and make EVE more interesting.

I think this will do both.
Previous page12